ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan D vs PSU O

d mac

Oct 7, 2002
I expect Michigan's D line to absolutely destroy the PSU O line. This is simply the best defense in the country. After losing ten starters on defense its pretty amazing that this defense is so good. Allowing only 223 yards per game and leading the nation in sacks. You have to think Michigan's defense will only get better each game considering they are still learning due to the youth. I don't expect PSU to score more on Michigan than they did last year. Unfortunately for Michigan, their passing offense is terrible. The only way Michigan wins is if O'korn can somehow make a few throws and not turnover the ball. I expect a low scoring game and think this game is a tossup. I'd probably pick the home team if I was a betting man.

Definitely a problematic match-up from the PSU POV. Thus far, we've had a lot of slow developing plays in our games, and that's not good against a strong interior defensive line.

Cautiously optimistic that our OC knows all that, however, and game plans accordingly.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I expect Michigan's D line to absolutely destroy the PSU O line. This is simply the best defense in the country. After losing ten starters on defense its pretty amazing that this defense is so good. Allowing only 223 yards per game and leading the nation in sacks. You have to think Michigan's defense will only get better each game considering they are still learning due to the youth. I don't expect PSU to score more on Michigan than they did last year. Unfortunately for Michigan, their passing offense is terrible. The only way Michigan wins is if O'korn can somehow make a few throws and not turnover the ball. I expect a low scoring game and think this game is a tossup. I'd probably pick the home team if I was a betting man.

The "best defense in the country" gave up 20 points to Indiana?

Don't think so.

The "best defense in the country" gave up 20 points to Indiana?

Don't think so.

That particular part of the original post (I think that's a Michigan fan, FWIW) was a bit over the top. Alabama does exist, after all.

Michigan's defense is definitely legit, but I do feel that the gap between us and Michigan (on D) is roughly equal to the gap between Alabama and Michigan (on D).

E.g., our defense is pretty damn good too.

Reactions: NedFromYork
They are good by not anywhere near the near in the country - coupled with a terrible offense I don't see how they stay with PSU. We have a far better offense than anything they have seen this year and they have played fairly pedestrian in those games - this week is a perfect example.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I think they do have the makings of the top overall defense in CFB, but the lousy offense hurts them. So, Penn State needs to get a ton of three and outs on defense so that we can wear down the Michigan defense. If it’s a back and forth, balanced time of possession type game, them we leave Michigan the opportunity to make plays.

That particular part of the original post (I think that's a Michigan fan, FWIW) was a bit over the top. Alabama does exist, after all.

Michigan's defense is definitely legit, but I do feel that the gap between us and Michigan (on D) is roughly equal to the gap between Alabama and Michigan (on D).

E.g., our defense is pretty damn good too.
Looks like a MIch. troll...first post ..and talking about the best defense in the country....Big red flag on this one.

Michigan has a good defense, a very good front line, but keep in mind, they're shallow. DL Gary/Hurst/Winovich rarely come off the field. LB McCray/Bush rarely come off the field. Their safeties rarely come off the field.

That defense was gassed vs. IU.

They are good by not anywhere near the near in the country - coupled with a terrible offense I don't see how they stay with PSU. We have a far better offense than anything they have seen this year and they have played fairly pedestrian in those games - this week is a perfect example.

This is true. In fact, for all of the units (rankings are per S&P+):

Michigan defense has faced the 83rd, 113th, 44th, 70th, 78th and 90th best offenses thus far (Florida, Cincinnati, AFA, Purdue, Michigan State, Indiana).

Michigan offense has faced the 32nd, 88th, 110th, 43rd, 9th and 22nd best defenses thus far.

Penn State defense has faced the 108th, 77th, 110th, 80th, 90th and 73th best offenses thus far (Akron, Akron Eastern Campus, Georgia State, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern).

Penn State offense has faced the 95th, 108th, 83rd, 23rd, 22nd and 56th best defenses thus far.

Michigan currently ranks: 76th on offense, 2nd on defense.

Penn State currently ranks: 13th on offense, 8th on defense.

It is a bit concerning --- especially when the Ohio State game comes up --- that our defense has yet to see anyone really good. But at least for Saturday --- we're not going to see any "step-up level vs historical competition" in regards to Michigan's offense.

Michigan's defense, though, has definitely not yet seen an offense like ours. They may very well do well against us. But evidence for such is more statistical vs. empirical.

Last edited:
It's a concerning matchup but would worry me A LOT more if we were a traditional pro style offense.

Not expecting huge numbers from the PSU offense but do see enough to outscore Michigan's O barring a lot of turnovers. I think the short passing game will be there all day but not sure how much time we'll get to look downfield with Michigan's pass rush. Their secondary is still growing up a bit.

I doubt we have the best D in the country but I don't doubt its Top 10. I do think we have the top K in the country though. IF UM defense can keep this close and IF O'Korn can manage the game and limit TO's, then I could see Nordin being the difference maker. I saw the Iowa and NW games. No disrespect but let's not kid ourselves, you guys aren't exactly Alabama. Could be a fun one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT