ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Beard at National Preps Thread

History Question:

Which of these schools was the LAST college to win an initial NCAA Wresting Championship:
1. Indiana
2. Penn State
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Iowa State
6. Michigan State
7. Iowa

Followup: Which of these schools finished in second place in NCAAs before Iowa won their initial NCAA Championship in 1975 (Iowa never finished in second before 1975). I'm not including the schools that already finished first in this timeframe, as many of them also finished second prior to 1975.
1. Michigan
2. Illinois
3. Lehigh
4. Purdue
5. Pittsburgh
6. Oregon State

First answer is Iowa. All the others had at least one National Championship before Iowa
Second answer is All of them

So, in 1975, when Iowa won their first National Championship, already 6 current Big Ten teams won or finished second at NCAAs before Iowa.

Looks to me that Iowa is the Newbie/Johnny-Come-Lately in NCAA Wrestling. Yes, Iowa had a great stretch from 1975 to 2010, but has only 1 second place finish since then.

Too bad Clarion did not win a championship before Iowa. Clarion had 3 individual champs in 1973.

Interesting interview overall, but some of the questions were awful. For instance, "Describe yourself in two sentences." Ugh.
That's not a bad question. That's a good question. If a kid understands himself; that's a good thing. Brevity is a good thing. Veni, vidi, vici--three sentences--is a good thing.

Reactions: csiebott
That's not a bad question. That's a good question. If a kid understands himself; that's a good thing. Brevity is a good thing. Veni, vidi, vici--three sentences--is a good thing.

We'll have to disagree. The question made me cringe, with or without the two sentence caveat. There were a few others, as well.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now that young man was owned by Nittany Lion great Jeff Prescott.

I think he has a body tattoo that he got to help him get past the defeats.

Lion 126-pounder Sanshiro Abe also failed to bring home an NCAA crown. He was defeated for the third time this season by Iowa's Jeff McGinness. Abe had two takedowns in the match to McGinness' one, but still lost, 6-4.

The turning point in the match came after Abe had taken a 2-1 lead in the first period. McGinness scored a takedown and rode Abe out the remainder of the period.

"That was the match," Abe said. "He rode me the whole entire time. That's that."

Jenn beats Cael in his redshirt year in a close one. Cael proceeds to destroy Jenn every other time they meet. In the linked match, Iowa style appears to be lie on the mat and accept your beating meekly

@Chickenman Testa I bet Jenn wishes he never would have beat Cael when it didn't count. It just motivated Cael to torture Jenn. That match was like watching a cruel kid pulling the wings off of a butterfly! @HerkHawl

Jenn beats Cael in his redshirt year in a close one. Cael proceeds to destroy Jenn every other time they meet. In the linked match, Iowa style appears to be lie on the mat and accept your beating meekly

But the thread mentioned Gable getting beat by some PSU doctor....Gable wrestled for ISU. So why is that being used as evidence of a PSU wrestler owning IOWA?

Do me a favor, comment on the Abe/McGinness link or the McIlravy/Lange video. Thanks

But the thread mentioned Gable getting beat by some PSU doctor....Gable wrestled for ISU. So why is that being used as evidence of a PSU wrestler owning IOWA?

Do me a favor, comment on the Abe/McGinness link or the McIlravy/Lange video. Thanks
I was commenting solely on the Paul Jenn - Cael point. I’m not following the rest of this current kerfluffle.

I was commenting solely on the Paul Jenn - Cael point. I’m not following the rest of this current kerfluffle.

A walk-on beats the best in the world one time. So don’t put too much weight in your reflections on Zaputil - he may have been beaten by Prescott but most would trade for his collegiate accomplishments in a heart beat. Prescott was a 3x AA, so was Zaputil. Zaputil was a 3x finalist too. And, wait, his team won 4 straight NCAA titles. So he has many more NCAA championships than Prescott - shift your perspective and be fans of the sport and not just ONE team.

A walk-on beats the best in the world one time. So don’t put too much weight in your reflections on Zaputil - he may have been beaten by Prescott but most would trade for his collegiate accomplishments in a heart beat. Prescott was a 3x AA, so was Zaputil. Zaputil was a 3x finalist too. And, wait, his team won 4 straight NCAA titles. So he has many more NCAA championships than Prescott - shift your perspective and be fans of the sport and not just ONE team.
Given that perspective there won't be many (any) Hawks you would take over any PSU starter for the past 10 years. Yeah, 10 years - let that sink in.

Just to be sure I understand you, Zaputil lost to Prescott twice head-to-head in the finals, one by a 14-0 shellacking, but he would rather have his college wrestling accomplishments than Prescott's. I call BS.

I get the hurledhawk argues with little sense, but Lincoln mac versus Lange has what to do with Iowa forfeiting to Kerry McCoy?McGinness and Abe has what to do with Prescott and Zaputil? What kind of silly thought process causes a dude to deep dive to February for an old thread so he can post gibberish?

Being noncompliant with your meds is never a good thing. Just saying.

Given that perspective there won't be many (any) Hawks you would take over any PSU starter for the past 10 years. Yeah, 10 years - let that sink in.

I would take Spencer Lee over any PSU 125lbers. Although Nico was awesome.

I would take Spencer Lee over any PSU 125lbers. Although Nico was awesome.
Spencer has only 1 national championship in his career. That is tied for last with Brad Pataky for PSU 125's (individuals and team). Just using his criteria.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT