ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Indy

Good win. Playing against a team that got almost all their points in the paint, had one inside guy destroying us, and only made one three pointer all game, I would have liked to see some zone defense occasionally especially later in the game when we had the lead, but that doesn’t seem to be an option. I’ll just never understand many college coaches.

Good win. Playing against a team that got almost all their points in the paint, had one inside guy destroying us, and only made one three pointer all game, I would have liked to see some zone defense occasionally especially later in the game when we had the lead, but that doesn’t seem to be an option. I’ll just never understand many college coaches.
PSU needs a strong PF, especially next year once Wahab is gone.

JMO but I think strong PFs are more difficult (NIL cost) to find in the portal than guards.

Where has Lilley been? Hasn’t played since the Iowa game. Is he hurt or was he caught up in the Clarey drama?

He’s playing great…really need to free up a scholarship to find another experienced 5 to be the new Wahab next season.
Who is gonna be gone next season other than Wahab? I think just Puff is gone and everyone else is coming back.

I never had the feeling the IU could score enough to win. So I would have stayed man as well. He may also be thinking of the future and trying to create a man defense mentality.

I never had the feeling the IU could score enough to win. So I would have stayed man as well. He may also be thinking of the future and trying to create a man defense mentality.
But I don’t understand why they have to have a man defense mentality. Most college teams are built on athleticism and taking guys one on one…I’d take my chances with making many teams try to beat me from outside.

But I don’t understand why they have to have a man defense mentality. Most college teams are built on athleticism and taking guys one on one…I’d take my chances with making many teams try to beat me from outside.
Of course it depends on who you are playing, but in that game since they didn’t hit a 3 until very late, you hate to give them potential free looks. Overall I think it is real hard to win at the top level with zone defense. Chaney, Boeheim, and Casey were effective with it, but I think it is hard to teach. Some teams I do go exclusively zone because their zone attacks are too predictable.

Of course it depends on who you are playing, but in that game since they didn’t hit a 3 until very late, you hate to give them potential free looks. Overall I think it is real hard to win at the top level with zone defense. Chaney, Boeheim, and Casey were effective with it, but I think it is hard to teach. Some teams I do go exclusively zone because their zone attacks are too predictable.
Just cause you’re in a zone doesn’t mean you can’t defend the three. And I certainly don’t think a team should run a zone exclusively, but I’m a big believer in mixing it up.

Just cause you’re in a zone doesn’t mean you can’t defend the three. And I certainly don’t think a team should run a zone exclusively, but I’m a big believer in mixing it up.
probably should have tried some zone against Indiana. Would not against Iowa though.

Agreed about mixing it up. Harder to rebound, and when I need a 3, I prefer that the defense is playing zone. Have to agree to disagree on that one. My rule is anytime my opponent scores on 3 straight possessions, I change defense.

Agreed about mixing it up. Harder to rebound, and when I need a 3, I prefer that the defense is playing zone. Have to agree to disagree on that one. My rule is anytime my opponent scores on 3 straight possessions, I change defense.
Agree, but Indiana isn’t a good three point shooting team, so there’s a reason they were getting all their points in the paint. Man defense let them play to their strengths…I prefer to make a team play to their weakness. But we won, so I can’t complain too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT