ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Shrews getting more and more vocal standing up for his players, Pickett in particular yesterday

Apparently you either didn’t watch them play or you know nothing about basketball.
Correct. Watkins was a raw project who redshirted and was a fouling machine early. Harrar was a big stiff his 1st 2 years. Booth redshirted because he was 6'11" 190lbs. Ndu was a mess for 3 years. Brooks didn't have the light come on until his 4th year. The kid who transfer to UMass after Pat was fired was awful his first 2 years and became very sevicable. Njie is doing ok for a FR and will get much better. I could go on and on with guys like Big House, etc.

PSU has never had a big who was game ready his 1st year.

Correct. Watkins was a raw project who redshirted and was a fouling machine early. Harrar was a big stiff his 1st 2 years. Booth redshirted because he was 6'11" 190lbs. Ndu was a mess for 3 years. Brooks didn't have the light come on until his 4th year. The kid who transfer to UMass after Pat was fired was awful his first 2 years and became very sevicable. Njie is doing ok for a FR and will get much better. I could go on and on with guys like Big House, etc.

PSU has never had a big who was game ready his 1st year.
Let’s face it, with the type of guys PSU recruits, most of their players aren’t game ready in their first year even the non-bigs. Outside of a few like Tony Carr and Lamar Stevens, most are average to below average early on in their career (Jamari Wheeler comes to mind immediately).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Coach Shrews is doing a fine job. Needs to establish a culture, he's fighting for his players..There has always been a bias by officials against PSU whether perceived or actual. One thing for sure, when Shrews opened his mouth he lost all respect from the officials on credibility.. Give him time once he gets some players he'll build a program. He has respect from opposing coaches. He knows the game just lacking in talent from his players.

Reactions: bison13
The NCAA power five level OR the high mid major level(not DeChellis and his 1 year flukecat ETSU). No, we are not asking for Bill Self or Coach K to come out of retirement. There are more than 64 power five schools and there are more than 100 different coaches at high mid majors who are out there who have taken ONE team to one Ncaa tournament who can be considered. Shrewsberry had next to no experience as a full-time head coach and had no proven winning track record for taking a team to an Ncaa tournament AS a head coach.

Feel free to try and pick holes in that but after you spend all that time and effort remember that He had had no success at Penn State in 2 years and it sure as hell isn't getting any better in year 3....and many schools don't even give 4 years to losing coaches.
Perhaps the AD tried to attract that level of coach and nobody was interested. This is a dangerous assignment to take. PSU could ruin a promising young career. Unless you are offering stupid level money most might pass. Give Shrews some time with his recruits then evaluate. He has recruited better than any previous coach we've had.

Perhaps the AD tried to attract that level of coach and nobody was interested. This is a dangerous assignment to take. PSU could ruin a promising young career. Unless you are offering stupid level money most might pass. Give Shrews some time with his recruits then evaluate. He has recruited better than any previous coach we've had.
He is better than the previous two coaches. look at each of their first two seasons vs. his

Reactions: bison13
Even being the oldest team in the country, the overall talent level of the team is not very high. Pickett is a stud offensively but can’t quite guard the quick point guards. This is part of the reason that winter was starting most of the year and why Clary is getting so much time now. Funk is a good spot up shooter but his defensive work is average at best. Lundy has improved significantly as a shooter and is a solid on ball defender but there are still several times a game where he makes a terrible pass or steps out of bounds or loses the ball while dribbling. Dread is a 1000 point scorer more out of longevity than anything else. he does everything he can trying to guard all those post players, but really the only thing he can do is catch and shoot. The juniors on the team, Dorsey and Johnson have shown they aren’t much. Henn has shown some flashes, but he’s not an all-conference performer.

The four freshmen clearly have more potential than the last few classes. Same with the incoming group. Coach deserves to have a chance to see these two recruiting classes get at least a couple years together.

I won’t say that he doesn’t at least deserve some criticism this year. I would’ve assumed his team would’ve tried to get up and down the floor with a much faster pace with the type of roster they have, as well as trying to play some zone, defense, whether that be full or half court. And I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with Henn as it seems like the offense does flow better with him in the game.

Ultimately, we’ll see the development of this year’s freshman and the incoming ones as the determining factor in how good coach really is.

See I'm saying write the check and that MEANS stupid level money. Want to win? Pay to win.

That James Franklin guy? His salary is in the top ten in the nation. That guy wins

See I'm saying write the check and that MEANS stupid level money. Want to win? Pay to win.

That James Franklin guy? His salary is in the top ten in the nation. That guy wins
I say give Shrews one more year. Meanwhile, start negotiations so that when Shrew flops again next year we can pay $57 million per year for Magic Johnson. He can be our own version of Coach Prime.

I say give Shrews one more year. Meanwhile, start negotiations so that when Shrew flops again next year we can pay $57 million per year for Magic Johnson. He can be our own version of Coach Prime.
Nobody is asking for that. Myself and Scrivener already covered this

Question: Next 2 years we finish 5-15 in the conference at #12 out of 14. No improvement over both seasons and no improvement from one season to the next. Does Shrews get a 5th year? Asking for a friend.

Question: Next 2 years we finish 5-15 in the conference at #12 out of 14. No improvement over both seasons and no improvement from one season to the next. Does Shrews get a 5th year? Asking for a friend.
For me, it's all about recruiting....we're making positive momentum, and it's an obvious choice. We're heading backwards, and it's time to reassess.

Can you remember the last time any program hired a coach and didn’t build them up as much as they could? As an AD, would you be telling recruits that your coach is ok, but you’re crossing your fingers?
They were a bit over the top for a guy that was always an assistant (except once). Look I thought he was a great hire and is doing a good job. That said BB is the one sport you can turn a program around over night with the portal.

Shrews needs to be more vocal with his own team at halftime. His teams doesn't play very good 2nd half basketball.

Harrar had maybe the best motor and drive of any psu hoops player in modern memory....the epitome of psu. However, he was not an offensive threat at all....and wasn't a major threat on that side.
But he did change the inside defensive game for PS.

Reactions: scrivener
Yes in hoops you can turn around a program in 1 year with the portal, BUT you need to have the NIL $$$ to do it. $500k per year would make us relatively competitive in the open market. $1m would get us some top 50 guys. Right now the SWH is the only NIL, but supposedly the hoops club is going to start up an NIL for hoops only.

I am pro MS as coach but if thats the case I would say no. Buit, if we have another high recruiting class coming in again that year and the record was due to something like a top player being injured I would give a 5th season.

The key to me is now the development phase. We have 4 freshmen who rival the Carr, Stevens, Bostick, Hampton class and the class before had Watkins and Reaves. They were initially a better group, playing a ton as freshmen and eventually developed in to a tournament team, this class has to take the same steps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT