ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs VCU

bdgan

May 29, 2008
After dropping the first 2 in this tournament PSU really needs a win. Unfortunately this game has been more of the same in the first half.

VCU is continuing the trend of shooting > 60% vs PSU. I can't remember a PSU team that played so poorly on defense. Opponents blow by PSU defenders with a clear path to the basket. PSU also struggles to block out and rebound.

Clary is injured so it's going to be difficult to come back in the second half.

After dropping the first 2 in this tournament PSU really needs a win. Unfortunately this game has been more of the same in the first half.

VCU is continuing the trend of shooting > 60% vs PSU. I can't remember a PSU team that played so poorly on defense. Opponents blow by PSU defenders with a clear path to the basket. PSU also struggles to block out and rebound.

Clary is injured so it's going to be difficult to come back in the second half.
What happened to Kanye? I just checked the box. Score and saw he barely played and took no shots.

Agree about the defense. I really anticipated this team being very good defensively this year but something is missing.

What happened to Kanye? I just checked the box. Score and saw he barely played and took no shots.

Agree about the defense. I really anticipated this team being very good defensively this year but something is missing.
I know we have athletic players but there doesn't seem to be a mindset to work hard and play defense with their feet. It's mostly hands. I hoped Rhodes would fix that after A&M but nothing has changed.

Offense is all Baldwin with an occasional pass to Wahab. Clary came back but he's obviously hurt and ineffective. 10 missed FTs haven't helped.

VCU is shooting 55% from 3. Nobody closing out on the shooters.

Last edited:
Offense is all Baldwin with an occasional pass to Wahab. Clary came back but he's obviously hurt and ineffective. 10 missed FTs haven't helped.

VCU is shooting 55% from 3. Nobody closing out on the shooters.
Wow.

Another pretty poor defensive effort. We just don't have enough offense to overcome that against a decent team. We got to the FT line a lot and did force 15 turnovers, but the difference to me was all of the easy baskets and wide open 3's that we allowed.

They don't seem to play like a team yet. Not much ball movement. Lots of one on one drives to the basket. Very little outside shooting and what there is doesn't seem very good. Without an outside threat teams will simply collapse their defense and those drives to the basket will be very difficult.

Earlier in the season I thought they would be tough defensively but it's been disappointing. Giving up lots of wide open 3s and it felt like VCU made every one.

They’re just not a very good team. Gonna be a rough year, but since the coach had to rebuild the team late it’s not surprising.

Another pretty poor defensive effort. We just don't have enough offense to overcome that against a decent team. We got to the FT line a lot and did force 15 turnovers, but the difference to me was all of the easy baskets and wide open 3's that we allowed.
Perhaps they need another month or so to learn how to play together. I'm not giving up yet

Perhaps they need another month or so to learn how to play together. I'm not giving up yet
We're just not a really good team this year. We're hopefully better than what we showed in Florida, but going .500 would this bunch would be an accomplishment.

We're just not a really good team this year. We're hopefully better than what we showed in Florida, but going .500 would this bunch would be an accomplishment.
That looks optimistic at this point. PSU probably would have won today if they had Clary but I'm not optimistic that they'll learn how to play defense. It doesn't seem these guys have that culture. I can't remember that last time I've seen opponents consistently beat us off the dribble and have a clear path to the basket.

They don't seem to play like a team yet. Not much ball movement. Lots of one on one drives to the basket. Very little outside shooting and what there is doesn't seem very good. Without an outside threat teams will simply collapse their defense and those drives to the basket will be very difficult.

Earlier in the season I thought they would be tough defensively but it's been disappointing. Giving up lots of wide open 3s and it felt like VCU made every one.
DIII players will hit a high % of 3 pt shots if you don’t close out on them. I'm more concerned about opponents blowing by our defenders off the dribble.

Reactions: johnmpsu
The VCU game was gonna be telling as they lost as much or more than we did in the Coaching Carosel. We got Rhodes, Ace and Kern. They also lost their big forward to UGa.

Sure VCU may have been fired up to beat the guy who Big Timed them...but shame on our guys for losing 3 straight by 12, the last to a gutted A-10 team.

Will be a growth year....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT