ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Shrews getting more and more vocal standing up for his players, Pickett in particular yesterday

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
“He's not shooting threes like everybody else,” Shrewsberry said. “Andrew Funk's not getting to the free throw line. Yeah, I know. He shoots threes. Jalen Pickett plays in the paint the entire night. Whole night. He might shoot a couple of threes here or there. He plays in the paint the entire night and never sniffs the free throw line. That's disrespectful.”

“Some of you guys might not know what I'm talking about,” Shrewsberry said. “If you're a Maryland person, you can look it up. Dude shot one free throw in the last four games, and he's a first-team All-American. He's a first-team all-league dude. He's not getting the same treatment.”

“I don't care. If it's on me, take it out on me,” Shrewsberry said. “Throw me out of the game so I'll shut up and you ain't got to listen to me the rest of the game. But don't be unfair to these kids, man. This kid is giving his all for this team, this conference, whatever. He deserves better.”

Maryland held a 23-4 advantage in free throw attempts winning 74-68. Before Pickett's free throw attempt with 9:32 remaining. He had gone 169 minutes, 33 seconds of game time, a span that covers more than four 40-minute games without getting a free throw. Pickett does the majority of his work in the paint. He’s taken more than 76% of his shots from 2-point range this season, and the majority of those are in the paint when he posts up an opponent. He’s taken 58 free throw attempts this season, which works out to 2.32 per game. Of the top 10 scorers in the Big Ten entering Saturday, Pickett is averaging the fewest free throw attempts per game by a wide margin. Northwestern’s Chase Audige (3.2) and Ohio State’s Brice Sensabaugh (3.3) were the next closest to Pickett.

“He's not shooting threes like everybody else,” Shrewsberry said. “Andrew Funk's not getting to the free throw line. Yeah, I know. He shoots threes. Jalen Pickett plays in the paint the entire night. Whole night. He might shoot a couple of threes here or there. He plays in the paint the entire night and never sniffs the free throw line. That's disrespectful.”

“Some of you guys might not know what I'm talking about,” Shrewsberry said. “If you're a Maryland person, you can look it up. Dude shot one free throw in the last four games, and he's a first-team All-American. He's a first-team all-league dude. He's not getting the same treatment.”

“I don't care. If it's on me, take it out on me,” Shrewsberry said. “Throw me out of the game so I'll shut up and you ain't got to listen to me the rest of the game. But don't be unfair to these kids, man. This kid is giving his all for this team, this conference, whatever. He deserves better.”

Maryland held a 23-4 advantage in free throw attempts winning 74-68. Before Pickett's free throw attempt with 9:32 remaining. He had gone 169 minutes, 33 seconds of game time, a span that covers more than four 40-minute games without getting a free throw. Pickett does the majority of his work in the paint. He’s taken more than 76% of his shots from 2-point range this season, and the majority of those are in the paint when he posts up an opponent. He’s taken 58 free throw attempts this season, which works out to 2.32 per game. Of the top 10 scorers in the Big Ten entering Saturday, Pickett is averaging the fewest free throw attempts per game by a wide margin. Northwestern’s Chase Audige (3.2) and Ohio State’s Brice Sensabaugh (3.3) were the next closest to Pickett.
I actually LOVE this about Shrews..what I don't love is all the losing and the losing is happening because he recruits only guards. His 3 "bigs" are D2 level projects and that includes that skinny twig in there Njie who is getting thrown around like a rag doll by the B1G 4s and 5s.

I actually LOVE this about Shrews..what I don't love is all the losing and the losing is happening because he recruits only guards. His 3 "bigs" are D2 level projects and that includes that skinny twig in there Njie who is getting thrown around like a rag doll by the B1G 4s and 5s.
When you have zero basketball history then you are going to have freshman bigs that need a couple of years to develop before they can compete with men.

And Shrews has 2 recruiting classes. In that he has 3 players at 6'8", 6'9", and 6'10" out of 8 total recruited. We've only seen one of those recruits so far as they are too skinny true freshmen or HS seniors right now. Patience.

Reactions: bison13
When you have zero basketball history then you are going to have freshman bigs that need a couple of years to develop before they can compete with men.

And Shrews has 2 recruiting classes. In that he has 3 players at 6'8", 6'9", and 6'10" out of 8 total recruited. We've only seen one of those recruits so far as they are too skinny true freshmen or HS seniors right now. Patience.
As Scrivener said though...people are winning now. Not 3 year projects. In this sport you have it or you don't...do you disagree?

As Scrivener said though...people are winning now. Not 3 year projects. In this sport you have it or you don't...do you disagree?
Yes, I disagree that PSU can hire any coach that would have had them immediately winning at the level you expect. How old are you? It's like you have the mindset of child with zero patience. It doesn't make any sense to fire a coach, blow up your roster, hire a new coach and then not give that coach time to build his roster. PSU cannot attract previous power 5 starters from the portal on our program's name. There is no instant success formula here.

And he’s not the first PSU coach to have this complaint…in fact the last three have said the same thing. At some point, someone has to believe their eyes.

Yes, I disagree that PSU can hire any coach that would have had them immediately winning at the level you expect. How old are you? It's like you have the mindset of child with zero patience. It doesn't make any sense to fire a coach, blow up your roster, hire a new coach and then not give that coach time to build his roster. PSU cannot attract previous power 5 starters from the portal on our program's name. There is no instant success formula here.
While I agree with you, my only gripe is the way they(PSU) were telling us how great he was when they hired him. I think he's doing a great job but he is underperforming they way they sold him. Will be interesting to see what he brings in from the portal this year. Need a transfer that can make an immediate impact to go along with the young talent.

Reactions: bdgan and Psugo823
Sure there is. Write a check and hire a proven winning head coach who has won AS a head coach...not a glorified assistant coach.

Reactions: scrivener
Sure there is. Write a check and hire a proven winning head coach who has won AS a head coach...not a glorified assistant coach.
I’ve asked you this before and you didn’t answer, proven at what level?

Pikiell led Stony Brook for what, 11 yrs? He was a head coach and their final five seasons he won 22+ games, including a tournament appearance. Larranaga at George Mason was great, and then, Miami, a terrible basketball program, hired him. Now look at them. There is something to be said for hiring a HC, whether it be a a mid-major or Power 5 for the sheer fact that they have run a program and aren't learning on the fly. It's why Diaz is a great fit on JF's staff...He has seen it all as a HC. Now, of course, there are numerous examples of hiring a previous HC that fails...of course, that is everywhere. But, I would rather take my chances with someone who has run a program, then an assistant, for the most part.

Reactions: Psugo823
JFC...he never said (nor did I) to fire Shrews after year two -- your hyperbole on this topic blows things out of proportion. It's more about the argument that "well our program has always sucked, so the challenge is insurmountable and the timetable should be indefinite" perspective that seems to be coming from you -- that is where he and I are in agreement. There are NUMEROUS programs who have been dogwater, and are now respectable or much better under their current HC. You make it seem like PSU's problems are only theirs.

The NCAA power five level OR the high mid major level(not DeChellis and his 1 year flukecat ETSU). No, we are not asking for Bill Self or Coach K to come out of retirement. There are more than 64 power five schools and there are more than 100 different coaches at high mid majors who are out there who have taken ONE team to one Ncaa tournament who can be considered. Shrewsberry had next to no experience as a full-time head coach and had no proven winning track record for taking a team to an Ncaa tournament AS a head coach.

Feel free to try and pick holes in that but after you spend all that time and effort remember that He had had no success at Penn State in 2 years and it sure as hell isn't getting any better in year 3....and many schools don't even give 4 years to losing coaches.

Definitely needs bigs. Anyone who thought this team was a tournament team was delusional. It won’t be before 24-25 as his bigs have to mature. Needs 2 shooters from the portal for next year and hopefully another good class entering 2024-25 season.

Definitely needs bigs. Anyone who thought this team was a tournament team was delusional. It won’t be before 24-25 as his bigs have to mature. Needs 2 shooters from the portal for next year and hopefully another good class entering 2024-25 season.
Ok let's examine this: Name 3 Penn State basketball bigs who have truly developed from being LIABILITIES freshman year to ASSETS senior year...

See...I don't believe in projects. They have it or they don't.

Ok let's examine this: Name 3 Penn State basketball bigs who have truly developed from being LIABILITIES freshman year to ASSETS senior year...

It's all excuse making from many on this thread...I'll go back to Miami (I keep bringing them up b/c I think it's a comparable example, and I used to live there and follow the team)....Canes went to the Elite 8 last year...entering this season, they lost 3 starters, including McGusty, one of the best players in the ACC last year, a 6'11' big man, and their PG. So, Jim brings in a transfer from Ark State, who has started every game at guard...and he has a starting PF who came in from K-St two seasons ago who has been huge for them. It's all about player development...Miami is in position to win the ACC, after losing 3 starters from a season ago!...PSU is losing what 4 starters next season...at least? I hope I'll eat my words, but there is less than 1% PSU will have 20 wins at this point next season like Miami does. Jim is one of the best coaches of all time, and that's not debatable for the job he has done. Shrews needs 4 years, no more. PSU should never be a learn on the fly program -- but that is what the approach has been with hoops, for the most part.

JFC...he never said (nor did I) to fire Shrews after year two -- your hyperbole on this topic blows things out of proportion. It's more about the argument that "well our program has always sucked, so the challenge is insurmountable and the timetable should be indefinite" perspective that seems to be coming from you -- that is where he and I are in agreement. There are NUMEROUS programs who have been dogwater, and are now respectable or much better under their current HC. You make it seem like PSU's problems are only theirs.
The guy to which I responded with the post that you quoted started a thread at 2:30 am last night calling for Shrews to be fired. So how is what I wrote hyperbole?

Coach Shrews needs to be given a reasonable chance to build what he is trying to build. He has 2 recruiting classes now both ranked higher than PSU has had in some time. Those kids are true freshmen and HS seniors. His current team is made up of holdovers after they blew up the program in how they fired the last coach and several transfers that have never been power 5 starters before. There are no legit bigs yet for this team though Shrews has recruited 3 that are either too skinny true freshmen or still in HS. Yet you guys think it's the end of the world that he's not making the tournament with this current band aid roster? You cannot even wait until his recruiting classes have had time to develop. Ridiculous.

It's all excuse making from many on this thread...I'll go back to Miami (I keep bringing them up b/c I think it's a comparable example, and I used to live there and follow the team)....Canes went to the Elite 8 last year...entering this season, they lost 3 starters, including McGusty, one of the best players in the ACC last year, a 6'11' big man, and their PG. So, Jim brings in a transfer from Ark State, who has started every game at guard...and he has a starting PF who came in from K-St two seasons ago who has been huge for them. It's all about player development...Miami is in position to win the ACC, after losing 3 starters from a season ago!...PSU is losing what 4 starters next season...at least? I hope I'll eat my words, but there is less than 1% PSU will have 20 wins at this point next season like Miami does. Jim is one of the best coaches of all time, and that's not debatable for the job he has done. Shrews needs 4 years, no more. PSU should never be a learn on the fly program -- but that is what the approach has been with hoops, for the most part.
Excellent post. Common sense and a factual, modern take on what it takes at this level to win. If only this fan base thought the same...

The guy to which I responded with the post that you quoted started a thread at 2:30 am last night calling for Shrews to be fired. So how is what I wrote hyperbole?

Coach Shrews needs to be given a reasonable chance to build what he is trying to build. He has 2 recruiting classes now both ranked higher than PSU has had in some time. Those kids are true freshmen and HS seniors. His current team is made up of holdovers after they blew up the program in how they fired the last coach and several transfers that have never been power 5 starters before. There are no legit bigs yet for this team though Shrews has recruited 3 that are either too skinny true freshmen or still in HS. Yet you guys think it's the end of the world that he's not making the tournament with this current band aid roster? You cannot even wait until his recruiting classes have had time to develop. Ridiculous.
I've said 4 years...that is the end of his recruiting class, PLUS, whatever transfer he has brought in. Relax.

Many transfers that enter Power 5 programs were high level players at mid-majors all across the country. Not an isolated issue to PSU

I've said 4 years...that is the end of his recruiting class, PLUS, whatever transfer he has brought in. Relax.
4 years means that not one of his recruited players will be seniors. And I've said 6. That gives 2 data points where his recruited players fill out every class, freshmen through seniors.

4 years means that not one of his recruited players will be seniors. And I've said 6. That gives 2 data points where his recruited players fill out every class, freshmen through seniors.
lol ok...Weren't Clary and Njie recruited by Shrews? He has been here for two seasons...they are freshman???? I mean do you not believe that younger players in some cases, should perform at a high level? The problem with PSU basketball (when it has made some one year noise, making the tourny), is that it has needed a super veteran and experienced team to make it. Then they are dogcrap in subsequent years. Roster's need to be staggered appropriately.

Last edited:
You keep glossing over variables -- how many full 15 man or whatever it is rosters across the nation are ALL players recruited by the same coach. Portal guys sure arent. and, combine that with players you have recruited from HS leaving early or in the portal, it's just not realistic.

Many transfers that enter Power 5 programs were high level players at mid-majors all across the country. Not an isolated issue to PSU
Yes and often they fill a hole or 2 with a legit power 5 roster filling out the rest. PSU has a team of mostly transfers and true freshmen. You have a couple of holdovers in Lundy and Dread but the rest of the roster was gone.

Yes and often they fill a hole or 2 with a legit power 5 roster filling out the rest. PSU has a team of mostly transfers and true freshmen. You have a couple of holdovers in Lundy and Dread but the rest of the roster was gone.
Lundy, Dread, Pickett all 1k scorers and on paper - a damn solid trio to build around. It just so happens that Dread has been terrible, Lundy inconsistent, and Pickett is a dude. Between Miami and other programs, it nullifies your first sentence. Yes, some rosters are rounded out by transfers, others are hoping to avoid a dropoff.

Lundy, Dread, Pickett all 1k scorers and on paper - a damn solid trio to build around. It just so happens that Dread has been terrible, Lundy inconsistent, and Pickett is a dude. Between Miami and other programs, it nullifies your first sentence. Yes, some rosters are rounded out by transfers, others are hoping to avoid a dropoff.
I'm not interested in continuing to debate the same points over and over with you. A few transfers to fill in a hole or two is a reasonable formula. It is rare to take a team made up of mostly transfers and have any real success. Even teams that do have trouble repeating that formula (i.e. Mich St football 2021 verses 2022). Coach Schrews should be given time to show what he's trying to build. That is the bottom line.

I'm not interested in continuing to debate the same points over and over with you. A few transfers to fill in a hole or two is a reasonable formula. It is rare to take a team made up of mostly transfers and have any real success. Even teams that do have trouble repeating that formula (i.e. Mich St football 2021 verses 2022). Coach Schrews should be given time to show what he's trying to build. That is the bottom line.
Pickett, Lundy and Dread are three of the top five minute getters on this team...only Pickett was a transfer, two seasons ago. The rest of the regulars for this season are either recruits or, yes, portal guys. This team is not mostly transfers, but whatever.

Again..Miami from 2019-2021 went…
14-18 (5-13)
15-16 (7-13)
10-17 (4-15)

If it’s so easy to reload when you have a good coach like Larranaga, what the heck happened? Did he suddenly forget to coach for three seasons? They are being cited of the prime example of how easy it can be to turn it around, yet they had a three year stretch worse than us. Why?

Again..Miami from 2019-2021 went…
14-18 (5-13)
15-16 (7-13)
10-17 (4-15)

If it’s so easy to reload when you have a good coach like Larranaga, what the heck happened? Did he suddenly forget to coach for three seasons? They are being cited of the prime example of how easy it can be to turn it around, yet they had a three year stretch worse than us. Why?
No doubt...Miami isn't a program that simply reloads annually like others on tobacco road, no matter who the coach is...the ACC is unforgiving that way too. Miami doesn't get the 5 star blue chippers that the blue bloods do...which is why Jim is an elite coach. What you failed to mention, that the first 7 years for Jim at Miami (prior to that three year slide) they made the tournament four times. So, there is that. After the 3 year slide, they made the elite 8 last season. So, the aggregate of Jim's career at Miami is ridiculously good at a place that could give two shit** about hoops before he arrived.

No doubt...Miami isn't a program that simply reloads annually like others on tobacco road, no matter who the coach is...the ACC is unforgiving that way too. Miami doesn't get the 5 star blue chippers that the blue bloods do...which is why Jim is an elite coach. What you failed to mention, that the first 7 years for Jim at Miami (prior to that three year slide) they made the tournament four times. So, there is that. After the 3 year slide, they made the elite 8 last season. So, the aggregate of Jim's career at Miami is ridiculously good at a place that could give two shit** about hoops before he arrived.
As unforgiving as the ACC is, the Big Ten has been stronger each of the last five years.

I’m a huge Larranaga fan and think he’s done a great job in Miami (although while their recent history wasn’t great, they did have a four tournies in five seasons stretch at the end of Hamilton’s run). But again, I think Miami right now is a prime example of patience paying off as they stuck with him when many thought it was time to move on.

Game. Set. Match.

I just love it when an apologist gets wooped. 😍

As unforgiving as the ACC is, the Big Ten has been stronger each of the last five years.

I’m a huge Larranaga fan and think he’s done a great job in Miami (although while their recent history wasn’t great, they did have a four tournies in five seasons stretch at the end of Hamilton’s run). But again, I think Miami right now is a prime example of patience paying off as they stuck with him when many thought it was time to move on.
Leonard Hamilton was 3 head coaches ago before Jim... Perry Clark and Frank Haith. And when you have 4 tournament appearances in your 1st 7 years… anybody who is thinking about running out the coach after a couple of lean years are in the minority of fanatic group. I mean Jim won the ACC if I'm not mistaken his 2nd year at Miami so it's not like they had to be patient very long

Pikiell led Stony Brook for what, 11 yrs? He was a head coach and their final five seasons he won 22+ games, including a tournament appearance. Larranaga at George Mason was great, and then, Miami, a terrible basketball program, hired him. Now look at them. There is something to be said for hiring a HC, whether it be a a mid-major or Power 5 for the sheer fact that they have run a program and aren't learning on the fly. It's why Diaz is a great fit on JF's staff...He has seen it all as a HC. Now, of course, there are numerous examples of hiring a previous HC that fails...of course, that is everywhere. But, I would rather take my chances with someone who has run a program, then an assistant, for the most part.
You mean like Pat Chambers and Ed DeChellis?

The NCAA power five level OR the high mid major level(not DeChellis and his 1 year flukecat ETSU). No, we are not asking for Bill Self or Coach K to come out of retirement. There are more than 64 power five schools and there are more than 100 different coaches at high mid majors who are out there who have taken ONE team to one Ncaa tournament who can be considered. Shrewsberry had next to no experience as a full-time head coach and had no proven winning track record for taking a team to an Ncaa tournament AS a head coach.

Feel free to try and pick holes in that but after you spend all that time and effort remember that He had had no success at Penn State in 2 years and it sure as hell isn't getting any better in year 3....and many schools don't even give 4 years to losing coaches.
You mean like Pat Chambers?

I can name two right off the top of my head…Watkins and Harrar.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I can name two right off the top of my head…Watkins and Harrar.
Harrar had maybe the best motor and drive of any psu hoops player in modern memory....the epitome of psu. However, he was not an offensive threat at all....and wasn't a major threat on that side.

Harrar had maybe the best motor and drive of any psu hoops player in modern memory....the epitome of psu. However, he was not an offensive threat at all....and wasn't a major threat on that side.
That wasn’t the question…it was about bigs that went from a liability to an asset…he certainly became an asset overall especially considering he was a horrific basketball player his freshman and sophomore year.

Watkins was never a liability and neither was Harrar. Neither were projects and neither were anything like Njie needing to gain 40 pounds.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Watkins was never a liability and neither was Harrar. Neither were projects and neither were anything like Njie needing to gain 40 pounds.
Apparently you either didn’t watch them play or you know nothing about basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT