ADVERTISEMENT

MBB hanging in against Indy

I think Njie was a project from the start but he'll be a solid contributer as a JR and even better as a senior.

Shrews Jr and Booth both have a chance to be good. Look at Clary as a So vs a Fr.
out of all three of them I would say that Booth has a chance to be good. the others, I feel like you could find equivalents on basically any P5 team. and even with Booth, i feel like I am biased because I remember his dad in the 90s

Reactions: bison13 and Ski
does that make it good? i mean Rhoades had less than 2 months to build a team from zero and they are in the middle of the pack in the B1G
It means that he’s taken a different path to building his program. When someone looks back on a coaches tenure, “record in year 1 when you didn’t sniff the tournament” will mean a lot less than what you’ve parlayed it into down the road. I’d certainly trade a few wins if it meant we had any contribution at all from the freshman class (and no high profile recruits in the pipeline)…that is a bit concerning down the road…but hopefully Rhoades will be able to find some more success in the portal.

Definitely…there isn’t a blank check, so Kraft needed to make a tough decision (and one that I had no objections to).
yeah. also recognized that it was going to play out again and again because he didn't really want to be at penn state. plus going much higher wasn't justified by what he had actually done, which was basically in the category of very good but not great

Reactions: Ski
It means that he’s taken a different path to building his program. When someone looks back on a coaches tenure, “record in year 1 when you didn’t sniff the tournament” will mean a lot less than what you’ve parlayed it into down the road. I’d certainly trade a few wins if it meant we had any contribution at all from the freshman class (and no high profile recruits in the pipeline)…that is a bit concerning down the road…but hopefully Rhoades will be able to find some more success in the portal.
you are just assuming that this Shrewsberry bet at ND is going to pay off big. that is far from a fact. i really see even odds that he is out of there in 4-5 seasons. the rest of the teams aren't standing still, especially in that league

you are just assuming that this Shrewsberry bet at ND is going to pay off big. that is far from a fact. i really see even odds that he is out of there in 4-5 seasons. the rest of the teams aren't standing still, especially in that league
It’s not assuming that any “bet” is going to pay off…it’s just looking at a really good coach that has a really young team with more good players on the way. Based on what I see, they’ve got a bright future, regardless where they are in the standings today.

Won’t be able to watch todays game until tomorrow…did they give any update on Kanye?

Congrats!! That was a great effort and 3-point shooting show by Penn St today.

IU has been terrible all year guarding the 3 and that was on full display this afternoon. Amazing how so many teams IU plays shoots at or near their best 3-point %. Combine that with IU’s inability to make 3’s, Woody’s stubbornness to go small or zone when teams are having their way and it’s just a poorly coached team and system.

There are some really good HS shooters in Indiana the next few years, who seem unlikely to choose IU due this antiquated dump it into the 2 bigs clogging things up inside kind of system.

This VCU coach you got looks like a really good hire.

IU has been terrible all year guarding the 3 and that was on full display this afternoon. Amazing how so many teams IU plays shoots at or near their best 3-point %. Combine that with IU’s inability to make 3’s, Woody’s stubbornness to go small or zone when teams are having their way and it’s just a poorly coached team and system.

There are some really good HS shooters in Indiana the next few years, who seem unlikely to choose IU due this antiquated dump it into the 2 bigs clogging things up inside kind of system.

Thanks and send those shooters our way please. Today was kind of an anomaly shooting from 3

so is IU going to hire May next year?

Hicks best game of the season so far. Baldwin‘s been spectacular, Brown as well and Q has been phenomenal the last two games.
Seem to be more of a team offensively when Cleary is not dominating the ball. Ace showing why he is so highly regarded when he had the ball more and able to control offense and create for assists.

Last edited:
Seem to b more of a team offensively when Cleary is not dominating the ball. Ace showing why he is so highly regarded when he had the more and able to control offense and create for assists.
I'm not sure what to think. Sometimes Clary is the only player able to create offense for PSU.

One thing is obvious. When PSU gets Wahab involved in the offense that opens things up on the perimeter. Wahab was 7-8 shooting today with 7 rebounds.

I don’t necessarily think Clary needs to take a lesser role, I think the last two games have just been other guys stepping up. they’ve been stretches and games this year that Clary hasn’t shot the ball for five or six minutes because he’s been trying to get other people involved and they haven’t knocked down shots. That’s led to him forcing some shots, but there are also stretches where he’s the only guy on the team that’s making shots.

yeah. also recognized that it was going to play out again and again because he didn't really want to be at penn state. plus going much higher wasn't justified by what he had actually done, which was basically in the category of very good but not great
I'm not sure that is 100% true. I think he saw that PSU's committment to BBall was not where it needed to be and he didn't want to bang his head against the wall like others before him.

I'm not sure that is 100% true. I think he saw that PSU's committment to BBall was not where it needed to be and he didn't want to bang his head against the wall like others before him.
He got a job at a traditionally better basketball school for higher pay in his home state. Not to difficult to connect the dots (and the “food chain” leads to us getting Rice, VCU poaching Odom, and Utah St landing Sprinkle).

Seem to be more of a team offensively when Cleary is not dominating the ball. Ace showing why he is so highly regarded when he had the ball more and able to control offense and create for assists.
I pointed this out after the Rutgers game. Didn’t go over well.

But the team played much harder and more as a team. Even seemed to spark their defensive efforts. Didn’t see today’s game was about to ask if this was the same. Appears to have been. Two road victories by 15 and 14 points, the second against a quality team.

Rhaodes needs hammer home that they win as a team. Show film of the difference. Get everyone, including Cleary, to adapt to this more active, more aggressive style. Hopefully, back to back wins sit without CLeary will give the rest of the team the confidence they need.

Once again. I am not knocking Cleary or say he shouldn’t play. But it’s time the entire team take a giant leap forward.

some of the things he supposedly said really didn't make sense. supposedly he was complaining that wrestling is a thing in PA, like that has anything do do with his job? wrestling is also a thing in Oklahoma and Iowa and schools there also make basketball work.

the stuff about psu not being committed is ancient history now because Pat Chambers largely ended the recruiting stigma we had. the program Shrewsberry inherited was not that bad. compare it to what DeChellis inherited when he took over. two huge pieces of the team last year were Lundy and Dread, who were Chambers recruits that came from high schools where we used to have no chance with any recruits

the transfer portal also made it easier for psu to break its previous cycles

Last edited:
I pointed this out after the Rutgers game. Didn’t go over well.

But the team played much harder and more as a team. Even seemed to spark their defensive efforts. Didn’t see today’s game was about to ask if this was the same. Appears to have been. Two road victories by 15 and 14 points, the second against a quality team.

Rhaodes needs hammer home that they win as a team. Show film of the difference. Get everyone, including Cleary, to adapt to this more active, more aggressive style. Hopefully, back to back wins sit without CLeary will give the rest of the team the confidence they need.

Once again. I am not knocking Cleary or say he shouldn’t play. But it’s time the entire team take a giant leap forward.
They played much better on offense today than last game, but their shots were falling. I’m quite sure Clary would distribute the ball a lot more if they were shooting over 60% like they did today in the second half. Many times Clary has to create offense because they can’t hit water if they were in a boat. Another huge factor is Baldwin has found his shot, that opens things up tremendously.

so is IU going to hire May next year?
Well, unfortunately it seems things would have to go even more South than they already have for Woody to be whacked after this year. For some strange reason, the dopey AD gave him a million dollar raise, making it $4.2 million a year for simply making the tournament 2 years in a row. IDK what the buyout is, but I’m guessing it’s $10-$12 million.

Your new football dc just walked off with $15.5 million of iu donor money, so not sure those folks want to pay up again 4 months later.

IU’s hiring of basketball coaches since Coach Knight was forced out 23.5 year ago has been less than mediocre at best. For 20 years, they didn’t want an RMK guy (Alford, Wittman, Lawrence Frank some of the past names) so it was Davis cuz the remaining players wanted him. Sampson wrecked the program, but never should have been hired with his OU sanctions, except a meddling President wanted him. Crean breathed some real life into the program for a short time, but couldn’t keep it going. Hot candidate Archie was a total miss!!

If something happens this spring, will probably be Dusty May, but way more people will want Chris Beard (an RMK guy, albeit at TX Tech)…but probably not the University President though. I just don’t think it happens unless the bottom totally falls out…a few more games like today though MAY (see what I did there?) do it!!!

Probably warning him that PSU basketball isn't supposed to be beating Indiana at home. Watch yourself.
Early in the game, the announcer was saying that one of the PSU players wanted a foul, but they’re not going to get that call on the road, and that’s one of the things that gives a team home court advantage and makes it so hard to win on the road. We all know that’s true, but it’s a sad state of athletics (it seems especially egregious in basketball) that it’s accepted that the visiting team is going to get hosed most of the time. A foul is a foul regardless of which court it’s on.

Early in the game, the announcer was saying that one of the PSU players wanted a foul, but they’re not going to get that call on the road, and that’s one of the things that gives a team home court advantage and makes it so hard to win on the road. We all know that’s true, but it’s a sad state of athletics (it seems especially egregious in basketball) that it’s accepted that the visiting team is going to get hosed most of the time. A foul is a foul regardless of which court it’s on.
The B1G officiating is ridiculously slanted towards home teams. PSU benefits from it too. I think it's bizarre.

Reactions: AWS1022
And a foul is a foul regardless if it’s in the first five minutes or the last five.

Reactions: bison13 and AWS1022
Yep, and in college BB very good players that play big minutes as freshmen end up playing like sophs and Jrs by the end of their freshmen seasons. If the young ND players that Shrew has don't play much better by the end of February it's hard to say that his investment in them, taking a pounding this season, was a wise plan. UK has gone out and played high level freshman and then gone deep in the NCAA. That's quite different than what seems to be going on at ND. Shrew may have been better off bringing in a couple very good transfers and winning more games. There's value in the freshmen seeing and participating in team successs as well. And practicing against better players also helps their development. That sure works for Cael.....

I liked Shrew and though he could be a long term coach for PSU. But he's really not very experienced and only has one nice season, the one at PSU. When I heard that PSU got Rhoades, after watching him at VCU as my son attended UD and I watch all their games, I thought PSU got an upgrade even with Shrew's one very good year. Shrew may eventually take ND where PSU may not get to, but then again it's ND and they have BB tradition and big time following. I'm very happy that PSU has Rhoades and that Shrew is at ND. Isn't it fun to watch Rhoade's team scrap and claw wins? Defense is fun to watch and keeps a team in games even when they don't shoot well. And when the do shoot well the D keeps the other team down. I hope Coach Rhoades' family fall in love with State College....

Yep, and in college BB very good players that play big minutes as freshmen end up playing like sophs and Jrs by the end of their freshmen seasons. If the young ND players that Shrew has don't play much better by the end of February it's hard to say that his investment in them, taking a pounding this season, was a wise plan. UK has gone out and played high level freshman and then gone deep in the NCAA. That's quite different than what seems to be going on at ND. Shrew may have been better off bringing in a couple very good transfers and winning more games. There's value in the freshmen seeing and participating in team successs as well. And practicing against better players also helps their development. That sure works for Cael.....
Comparing Kentucky and “normal” schools is comparing apples and oranges (and comparing basketball and college wrestling is apples and watermelons). The biggest jump that college basketball players usually make is from their Frosh -> Soph years…we’ve seen that often firsthand at PSU.

Reactions: bdgan
Comparing Kentucky and “normal” schools is comparing apples and oranges (and comparing basketball and college wrestling is apples and watermelons). The biggest jump that college basketball players usually make is from their Frosh -> Soph years…we’ve seen that often firsthand at PSU.
Yep, and it works for the apples and not usually for the oranges, which is why it may not work for Shrew who had a good recruiting class by PSU standards but not by top 20 team standards which is where the ND fans want to be.

And that jump between freshmen and soph years can happen without those players playing so many minutes that their team has a disaster season. Which is what ND seems to be doing so far this season. They're getting beaten up so far tonight by a mediocre Pitt team.

Last edited:
Yep, and it works for the apples and not usually for the oranges, which is why it may not work for Shrew who had a good recruiting class by PSU standards but not by top 20 team standards which is where the ND fans want to be.

And that jump between freshmen and soph years can happen without those players playing so many minutes that their team has a disaster season. Which is what ND seems to be doing so far this season. They're getting beaten up so far tonight by a mediocre Pitt team.
Compare players like John Harrar and Tim Frazier in their senior year to their freshmen year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT