ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Millen stated he thought OL starters would be

There are some well-connected insiders saying Nelson to OG. I am thinking that is what will happen.

Matt's got his sources, too. Do you thin we lose to SC with Mahon and Nellie playing?

There are some well-connected insiders saying Nelson to OG. I am thinking that is what will happen.
I wonder what the logic would be in moving Nelson. He's a 5th year guy, has never played G, likely won't play until Oct so by the time he may be comfortable the season, and his career, is over. Also, if you remove him from the mix at T the second team is Fries and Jenkins who have no experience.
PSU has a chance to have a big time OL so I worry about having 4 starters moving from the position they played last year (Nelson, Mahon, McGovern, Bates, understanding Bates moved to T after a slew of injuries. Hope we don't overthink this. With that said, if the staff believes in these moves that's good enough for me.

I wonder what the logic would be in moving Nelson.

I have zero inside information.... but maybe the guys who will end up at tackle will be better than Nelson? This isn't 2015... there are some VERY talented O lineman working to get a starting position. Maybe Nelson, after his knee issues, isn't able to move laterally like he would be required to as a tackle, but he could still manage the duties at guard? If this does happen, I'm sure that it will be based upon whatever is best for the team and Nelson.

He also said Moorhead is gone after this year....why does he have to bring some bs up during a glorified practice. Millen seriously disappoints me..I wish he would just shut up...

What I heard Millen say (not word for word, but premise) is that if Penn State had another huge offensive season, he will be a very hot commodity and may leave. He acknowledged that Moorhead had chances to leave after this year, but decided to stay.

What part of this is off base or controversial? Does it just bother you to hear someone say it publicly or do you think that Moorhead doesn't want to be a head coach again? Maybe he will stay for 3, 4, or 5 years... maybe he will stay until we win a national championship... who knows. It's possible, however, that Moorhead could leave after another great season.

I personally don't think this is bad. It's part of growing Penn State's brand. I'm guessing that Franklin has a plan already mapped out for when each of his coaches leave the program.

Millen didn't have a clue on the Oline. I like the guy, but he is no where near the announcer he used to be. He has really went downhill the last few years.

Nobody knows about this O line...a mysterious group of Nitts, them big uglies up front who hone their craft under Matthew Limegrover...

Millen was taking about Sean Spencer during the game and was calling him "Sean Spence" at least 4 times in a row. Also consistently called Godwin "Goodwin" last year. Does he just have trouble with names, or is he not really in tune to the program as one would think? I would be skeptical about who he's naming as the starting line

Reactions: ralphster
Millen didn't have a clue on the Oline. I like the guy, but he is no where near the announcer he used to be. He has really went downhill the last few years.
Matt is 59 years old. He played in 196 NFL games. He played all of them at middle linebacker. He was a very physical player. It is very possible that he has CTE. I know him a long time. He upset ME today.

Reactions: step.eng69
Matt is 59 years old. He played in 196 NFL games. He played all of them at middle linebacker. He was a very physical player. It is very possible that he has CTE. I know him a long time. He upset ME today.

He's been like this since he was 19 years old. Relax.

Reactions: ftlpsu
After his GM days in Detroit, I thought his OL names would be more like Hamilton, Charles, Blacknall, Johnson, and Polk.

Reactions: bjf1991
LT Bates
LG Mahon/Gonzo
C McGovern
RG Nelson/Menet/Wright
RT Wright/Nelson?

Who knows...but
What a difference from a couple years ago. Can't be worried with any combination of these names. So much talent and experience.

You gotta believe that the way this staff cross trains all of it's O linemen, that if there are multiple positional changes, they'll have this line hit the ground running fast. That's the hope, at least, in the event of changes. The most important position on this offensive line is the center, this is the fulcrum of the Moorhead philosophy in it's thesis, that's where I'll be looking the closest at the start of the season. If we're alright at center, I think the pieces will fall into place. McGovern didn't show me any cause for worry today, but this is just a little show for the fans.

Season is a long ways away still...I'll give them some time. I do think getting both Brendan Mahon and Andrew Nelson, back, will help this line, regardless of whether either of them take the field on opening day against Akron on the very first drive.

He also said Moorhead is gone after this year....why does he have to bring some bs up during a glorified practice. Millen seriously disappoints me..I wish he would just shut up...

I wish he'd do more than shut up. I wish he'd just go away from PSU forever. He is one alum we don't need. He should have gone to Pitt from the beginning.

Millen was taking about Sean Spencer during the game and was calling him "Sean Spence" at least 4 times in a row. Also consistently called Godwin "Goodwin" last year. Does he just have trouble with names, or is he not really in tune to the program as one would think? I would be skeptical about who he's naming as the starting line

Or maybe he is just plain stupid? Those kinds of mistakes are the result of poor planning and poor execution, and are unprofessional and inexcusable. And frankly, that's on him.

Reactions: NittPicker
I thought the Oline played good yesterday. Menet got to second tier consistently, thought he played well.

Millen is a thumb with hair. And he did say Moorhead will be gone after this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT