ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
Kerry McCoy has had a rough go so far at the University of Maryland. Maryland went 2-16 in duals last year (0-9 in the Big 10) and placed 12th in the Big 10 tourney. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel (daylight, not a train).

125 – Cray (So) <Steinert, NJ>

Brandon Cray went 11-16 last year and didn’t qualify for the tournament. His biggest win came against Connor Schram at the beginning of the season.

133 – Anderson (Fr) <Schuylerville, NY>

Orion Anderson is an incoming freshman that was a 3-time New York state champion (106, 120, 126). Jhared Simmons went 2-17 as the starter last season.

141 – Diehl (Sr) <Trinity, PA>

Two-time qualifier Ryan Diehl is back for his final season at Maryland. He went 13-14 overall and 1-2 in the tournament last season (and 1-2 in 2017). As you may recall, Diehl pinned Nick Lee in the 1st round last season. He also had some other notable wins last season, including beating Thorn twice.

149 – Bannister (Sr) <Bishop McNamara, MD>

Two-time qualifier Alfred Bannister is also back for his final season with the Terps. Bannister was 24-10 on the season, securing the 16 seed in the tournament and went 1-2 (he went 2-2 in 2017). Bannister has only been pinned 4 times in his collegiate career, 3 were by Zain.

157 – Williams (Fr) <South Carroll, MD>

Jamar Williams transferred in from Notre Dame College (Ohio). He was a 3-time Maryland state champion. Last season, Justin Alexander finished the year as the starter going 5-10. Kyle Cochran (So) also got some starts last year going 11-9 overall.

165 – Burnham (Sr) <Pine-Richland, PA> or White (Jr) <Father Judge, PA> or Spadafora (Fr) <Half Hallow Hills East, NY>

Brendan Burnham went 13-20 last year and didn’t qualify for the tournament. He didn’t have any wins against NCAA qualifiers. Idris White went 27-9 in opens last year. Philip Spadafora went 22-12 during his redshirt season (1-2 against White).

174 – Ugalde (Jr) <Bound Brook, NJ>

Josh Ugalde went 8-11 last year and didn’t qualify for the tournament. His most notable win was against former NCAA qualifier Jordan Pagano (Rutgers).

184 – Purkey (Fr) <Damascus, MD> or Cappello (So) <Cranford, NJ>

Incoming freshman Paul Purkey is a two-time 3A/4A Maryland state champion. Niko Cappello started last season and went 5-20.

197 – Whisler (Jr) <Howland, OH>

David-Brian Whisler went 14-5 last season and didn’t qualify for the tournament (no wins against NCAA qualifiers). He took over the starting spot later in the season after Cappello moved down to 184.

Heavy – Hemida (Sr)

Youssef Hemida was Maryland’s only AA last year, placing 8th from the 12 seed after a 2nd round upset of Sam Stoll and later losing to Nevills in the 7th place match (Hemida went R12 in 2017). He went 30-8 on the season.

Maryland returns their AA and two other qualifiers from last season. They should see some improvement at several weights this year but I don’t know if it will translate to additional points at the tournament. Last year, mostly on the strength of Hemida’s AA run, Maryland finished 27th with 12.5 points.

dwhoops_acc2011_qf_maryland_georgia_tech_9.jpg

Reactions: garw and yekrut321
141 – Diehl (Sr) <Trinity, PA>

Two-time qualifier Ryan Diehl is back for his final season at Maryland. He went 13-14 overall and 1-2 in the tournament last season (and 1-2 in 2017). As you may recall, Diehl pinned Nick Lee in the 1st round last season. He also had some other notable wins last season, including beating Thorn twice.

Finally we have a new way to end this sentence.

Reactions: tikk10
Far be it from me to tell you how to run your team previews, but, had I been the one doing the previews, I think that many of us would agree that this pic reps the Terps far more accurately and currently.

DSCF25642.jpg

Reactions: dbldoofus
Far be it from me to tell you how to run your team previews, but, had I been the one doing the previews, I think that many of us would agree that this pic reps the Terps far more accurately and currently.

DSCF25642.jpg
And he’s not even talking about the guy in green. To be clear, it’s the guy in red. Well it could be the guy with his tongue out or the guy picking his nose, or perhaps it’s the cumulation.

Reactions: dbldoofus
And he’s not even talking about the guy in green. To be clear, it’s the guy in red. Well it could be the guy with his tongue out or the guy picking his nose, or perhaps it’s the cumulation.
At first I thought the bald man sitting in front of the nose picker was James Franklin but I don’t think he’s a white guy....

I took my wife and son to the Maryland-PSU dual last January in College Park, and it was a nice venue and a good crowd. Of course, quite a share of the crowd was from Penn State. It was a serious beat-down, but if Kerry can recruit Maryland fairly well and then sell B1G wrestling to recruits from Virginia and some of the surrounding states, he can turn things around....slowly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecdcr and garw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT