ADVERTISEMENT

Major rebuild next year.......

Michigan has to figure out who is their QB. Their passing game was dog crap this year.

Agree about Michigan also. They are loaded?? They are a good team but far from scary. They are a team that will end up with 5 losses this year after bowl season. They will certainly be a little better but to say they are better then PSU or we cant beat them is a major stretch, even after our losses.

Same with Pitt, who cares if they return 18 guys. They are terrible. Michigan State st home, beat down. We showed up with a Buckeye hangover, that doesn’t make them good, they are every bit of average. They do return a lot of guys but we have them at home. Not worried.

Wisconsin will be a tough game at home, they are solid and well coached. The difference is being at home. Like our chances anytime we play in front of 107,000 friends and family members.

QB is big plus. We return most of our O line with some studs on the rise. Receivers-Tompkins, Johnson, Polk, and Justin Shorter coming. Defensive line will be good. Linebackers and secondary is the real issue

No Charles?

McSorley won't be a Heisman candidate. He's an amazing leader and a solid QB but far from a Heisman level player.

I'm also not as sold on Sanders as this board. Still very upset we let D'Andre Swift get away.

I think Fields has been very good. He can't catch but he's played well

Can't say the same for Wade. He's struggled , even for a true freshmen, imo.

I know he is not tall, but don’t be surprised to see Wade at the Marcus Allen safety spot next year. He is a physical player. He is a hitter and run stopper.

Reactions: kevin310
You guys are forgetting about Journey Brown, and the incoming frosh DB's , DE's , TE's, and the possibility of Micah enrolling early and playing MLB. Each year is a different dynamic, for our opponents too, Mich QB's got killed this year, OSU new QB, Barret was special, i think Wisc has been rolling their QB out since the 80's. Plus the intangibles of coaching changes, injuries, and disciplinary actions.
Always many changing parts....anything can happen, but a "major rebuild" is what Nebraska is facing. PSU has some elite talent to build around. How many wins that translates into? My guess is between 8-10. It might be semantics, but I don't think that's a rebuild.

Reactions: HazletonLion
MSU and Michigan loaded with returning starters. TOSU is well TOSU.

3 starters back on defense. Barkley Gesicki and Hamilton all gone.

4 losses or more not out of the question.

It always, always comes down to the LOS.

The biggest weakness on the team is defensive line. That was what it looked like at the start of the season and it turned out to be right.

Past recruiting difficulty at DT and DE is going to hit home next year. Without a pass rush, the whole defense will struggle.

If some of the young DTs like Hansard are ready ahead of schedule, that would be tremendously helpful. Team needs Gross-Matos and Simmons to make the big leap.

Probably the O will be all right, still an above-average B1G offense.

If the O-line turns the corner next year and can stay healthy, the O will be terrific again because there are top tier Big Ten skill players like Johnson, Sanders, Thompkins. Irv Charles will have a shot at a lot of PT at wideout and maybe he'll be ready. I think Barkley has hurt the offense in some ways because they have distorted things at times to put the ball in Barkley's hands. Next year it will be harder for defenses to know what to focus on, and that could be in some ways a good thing.

What are they supposed to do, force him at gunpoint? Sometimes a kid wants to go to college in a different part of the country. Has nothing to do with competence of his home state coaching staff

Our job is to sell him. Personally, I fully believe he's in blue & white if Sanders goes elsewhere. He was promised touches at Georgia despite them having two great backs and it paid off. We clearly didn't make the same offer. If he was on our roster he'd be our best back next year. Tough to lose a philly kid like that. JMO. If you disagree so be it. Franklin is an elite recruiter. You won't get them all but that's a miss.

Disagree on schedule. Wisconsin has 9 starters back on offense. sPitt has 17-18. MSU 20. Michigan is loaded. Going to be rough.

Pitt is likely losing more than 5 starters and they are returning garbage players. You are out of your mind if they worry you next year. They likely will be looking at a 5-7 season. As for MSU, they got lucky against PSU this year and do not scare me one bit. Even if PSU wins 1 of 3 between Mich, O$U, and Wisky, that’s a 10-2 season.

Could someone explain to me where the concern is from an offense that returns or brings on board its record setting QB, two 5-star RBs (Sanders/Slade), and all but one of its WRs plus #1 WR in '18 class?

There is no rebuild on offense whatsoever. This is classic case of reload.

Pitt is likely losing more than 5 starters and they are returning garbage players. You are out of your mind if they worry you next year. They likely will be looking at a 5-7 season. As for MSU, they got lucky against PSU this year and do not scare me one bit. Even if PSU wins 1 of 3 between Mich, O$U, and Wisky, that’s a 10-2 season.

Pitt will lose 2-3 starters along their OL and unlike us their recruiting has been sorry. Lose their best WR in Weah. Their best secondary player in Whitehead and Maddox. Nothing on that team scares me.

Reactions: The_Unit
Could someone explain to me where the concern is from an offense that returns or brings on board its record setting QB, two 5-star RBs (Sanders/Slade), and all but one of its WRs plus #1 WR in '18 class?

There is no rebuild on offense whatsoever. This is classic case of reload.

Can't forget about Gesicki. No one on the roster to replace his catches. Now, perhaps they go to a more traditional role for the TE and his catches are absorbed by the WRs. Of course that begs the question...do we have a block first, pass catch second TE on the roster? I'll leave that to others to answer.

Can't forget about Gesicki. No one on the roster to replace his catches. Now, perhaps they go to a more traditional role for the TE and his catches are absorbed by the WRs. Of course that begs the question...do we have a block first, pass catch second TE on the roster? I'll leave that to others to answer.

Not forgetting about him and would certainly anticipate a dropoff to next TE, but there are capable replacements in Holland, Bowrers, Freirmouth and Kuntz. None of these guys are likely 450 yds+ receivers but collectively they'll be fine. Friermouth and Kuntz are already with Gesicki from a size perspective.

Gesecki's numbers this year are actually down almost 200 yds as Trace has spread the ball around more.

Can't tell Pitt having 17-18 starters back is supposed to be a good or bad thing.

Michigan is loaded?? More like CoastGuard is loaded.
They have a good young Qb and a pretty stout defense. Their offense will be improved next year and defense will be even better plus game is in Ann Arbor. Not a Harbaugh fan at all but anyone who thinks they won't be improved next year is on crack.

Until Michigan finally does something as extraordinary as playing as well as their recruiting suggests that they should, I will remain bearish on their ability to improve much. They may be better than this year, but they won't have as much talent as last year's team did, and they still did nothing.

Michigan had 11 players drafted into the NFL last April. 11! And they still finished third in their division.

Only a fool would bet good money on Michigan.

Hi Gunnie!
You guys are way too sensitive. I post that it will be a rebuilding year because of major personnel losses which is a reasonable assessment considering we lose our top receivers and the most multi talented rb in school history. I said that 4 losses are possibility, not that I hope it happens, and a couple you guys spout bs and accuse of being someone I am not. We shall see next year.

You guys are way too sensitive. I post that it will be a rebuilding year because of major personnel losses which is a reasonable assessment considering we lose our top receivers and the most multi talented rb in school history. I said that 4 losses are possibility, not that I hope it happens, and a couple you guys spout bs and accuse of being someone I am not. We shall see next year.

If you're not Gunnie, you're his twin brother.

Sounds like an 8-4 year. The schedule, however, is not that rough. I could see 9-3 or even 10-2.
The schedule is not that rough? I don't know how you can say that considering the returners on our league opponents.

I believe that if our OL gets better and the DL improves there is no reason we can't have a 10 win season in 2018. If the OL improves and it will, I can see this offense being just as explosive as this years. If Bowers can stay healthy he'll improve the run game because he can actually block. He made a couple of good blocks yesterday and he's very athletic. Will he be a deep threat like Gesicki? Probably not but he will find a receiving roll in the offense. I'm hoping Hamler can be that wideout that stretches the field for us next year.
On defense the line should be no better or worse. The interior guys have been our greatest weakness on defense. As games progressed against good teams this year they failed to get a surge or push. Great defenses re-establish the LOS. For the past 2 years we've been unable to do that consistently. At LB we have talent but not much experience. I'd like to see Brooks at MLB if he's good enough. Flanked by the experienced Farmer and Bowen/Brown. The DBs are interesting. Assuming John Reid is healthy does it make sense to play him at safety? Based on his experience he may be of more value getting the young DBs lined up versus playing cornerback. The best story about the 2018 DBs is the level and depth of talent. Can a couple of these young guys turn into stars next season? Can't wait to find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT