ADVERTISEMENT

Major rebuild next year.......

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
MSU and Michigan loaded with returning starters. TOSU is well TOSU.

3 starters back on defense. Barkley Gesicki and Hamilton all gone.

4 losses or more not out of the question.

Reactions: harbest

Sounds like an 8-4 year. The schedule, however, is not that rough. I could see 9-3 or even 10-2.

Reactions: Cosmos

We return our QB. In today's college game, that is huge. And we saw Michigan with a loaded, experienced team last year finish 3rd in the division so I don't think I'm ready to jump off the ledge just yet.

We return our QB. In today's college game, that is huge. And we saw Michigan with a loaded, experienced team last year finish 3rd in the division so I don't think I'm ready to jump off the ledge just yet.
QB is big plus. We return most of our O line with some studs on the rise. Receivers-Tompkins, Johnson, Polk, and Justin Shorter coming. Defensive line will be good. Linebackers and secondary is the real issue

QB is big plus. We return most of our O line with some studs on the rise. Receivers-Tompkins, Johnson, Polk, and Justin Shorter coming. Defensive line will be good. Linebackers and secondary is the real issue

Therein lies the problem.

Reactions: psuro

Believe we will have a solid O-line and good ( possibly very good) skill position players. Also think we will be playing a good many redshirt freshmen and true freshmen next year, as there are some outstanding athletes in those groups. We’ll see how it shakes down.

I think the secondary will be fine. Last night was an aberration. Both Fields and Wade have been playing pretty good, especially fields. We bring back Reid and add Jabari Butler to the mix. Safety I'm not sure about. Apke has had a really good sr. season but I think we can replace him, Allen is going to be tough to replace.
LBr and especially middle LB'r is my major concern.
Losing Barkley and Mike G. is tough but with the improvement of the OL and added depth and a group of WR that should be stellar I think we might even be better. BTW liked what I saw from Bowers and very happy he got some major playing time.
Where was Holland?
There were a lot of guys that were missing yesterday

Bowen (we know about)
Charles (didn't sound good)
Holland?
Robinson?

Reactions: Judge Smails
Offense returning
McSorley
Johnson
Thompkins
Gonzalez
Bates
McGovern
Fries
Wright

5 star RB Sanders finally gets his turn. Ton of WR talent returning besides the starters. Miranda, Holmes coming off redshirts may figure in to the OL. 5 star Menet has really come on per JF yesterday.

Defense returning
Miller
Givens
Buchholz
Farmer
Bowen (assuming he returns)
Amani O (plays more than the "starters" at CB most games)
Reid (best CB in 2016, returns from injury)

Its kind of pointless to talk about "returning starters" with this defense because of how many snaps the 2nd team gets. Scott and Monroe have played a ton at safety. TCF and Wade got a ton of PT as true frosh. Shaka Toney and YGM at DE should be much improved after promising freshman seasons. Windsor played starter minutes at DT, Ellison Jordan looked promising, and Shelton came on towards the end of the year. Cam Brown saw a ton of action at LB, and you have Franklin and Faison Walden coming off of RS seasons.

The offense should be just as explosive, and if you have that, don't have to have an overpowering defense.

We were thrilled to get Wade and TCF last year, and they were two of our highest ranked recruits. If those guys can't come through in making our secondary respectable, after seeing a fair amount of playing time this year, then we may as well stop thinking that recruiting is all that important.

I'm not saying this is what you are suggesting but I'm sure not ready to give up on them yet. If there's one position on the field where you can't think too much, you just have to act, it's DB. I think they'l both be completely different players come next season. And hopefully Reid makes it back and along with Amani O. gives us two strong starting corners, allowing Wade and TCF to play nickel and continue to grow.

I think Fields has been very good. He can't catch but he's played well

Can't say the same for Wade. He's struggled , even for a true freshmen, imo.

Reactions: TomPSU32
I think Fields has been very good. He can't catch but he's played well

Can't say the same for Wade. He's struggled , even for a true freshmen, imo.

I think Wade's played a little better than you do but I get what your saying.
I wonder if a move to Safety is in his future. He's got the body for it.

McSorley returning is huge - not only for his experience but also for his leadership. With Allen and Cabinda gone, someone on D is gonna have to step up.

Reactions: BBrown

Damn, didn't realize we only returned 3 starters on defense. There are going to be some growing pains for sure. Was hoping to get a two game win streak going against Michigan.

Way to early to analyze next year too deeply but two quick thoughts. PSU is now in reload, not rebuild, mode. There is not a great difference between, for example, Apke and Monroe, Cothren/Cothran and Windsor/Givens, Mahon and Menet, etc... We have recruited very well and I would expect some of these very highly regarded 4* kids to step in and play well -Brooks, Faison-Weldon, Sutherland, Hansard, Thorpe, etc... Being able to redshirt these kids is a sign of how far we have come. Like every really good team it will be a question as to how we can replace our impact players like Barkley, Allen, Geiscki, etc... But that is true of every team. Who will replace JT Barrett? Mayfield? Darnold?
Second, just like this year and last, next year will come down to 4-5 games that will be close and can go either way. If we win most of them, 10-2 or 11-1 is possible. If we lost most of them, 8-4 is more likely.
By the way, IMHO Jake Pinegar could be a critical piece to next year's team.

. sPitt has 17-18.

giphy.gif

We were thrilled to get Wade and TCF last year, and they were two of our highest ranked recruits. If those guys can't come through in making our secondary respectable, after seeing a fair amount of playing time this year, then we may as well stop thinking that recruiting is all that important.
I'd add the coaching staff to reprogramming if not rebuilding.

Damn, didn't realize we only returned 3 starters on defense. There are going to be some growing pains for sure. Was hoping to get a two game win streak going against Michigan.
Wouldn't worry too much about the "returning starter" designation. Hypothetically our starting defense next year may include: E - Miller, Bucholtz; T - Givens, Windsor; LB - Bowen, Farmer, Brown; CB - Reid, Amari; S - Scott, Monroe. That defense will not struggle due to inexperience.

Offense returning
McSorley
Johnson
Thompkins
Gonzalez
Bates
McGovern
Fries
Wright

5 star RB Sanders finally gets his turn. Ton of WR talent returning besides the starters. Miranda, Holmes coming off redshirts may figure in to the OL. 5 star Menet has really come on per JF yesterday.

Defense returning
Miller
Givens
Buchholz
Farmer
Bowen (assuming he returns)
Amani O (plays more than the "starters" at CB most games)
Reid (best CB in 2016, returns from injury)

Its kind of pointless to talk about "returning starters" with this defense because of how many snaps the 2nd team gets. Scott and Monroe have played a ton at safety. TCF and Wade got a ton of PT as true frosh. Shaka Toney and YGM at DE should be much improved after promising freshman seasons. Windsor played starter minutes at DT, Ellison Jordan looked promising, and Shelton came on towards the end of the year. Cam Brown saw a ton of action at LB, and you have Franklin and Faison Walden coming off of RS seasons.

The offense should be just as explosive, and if you have that, don't have to have an overpowering defense.
Yep. Shallow premise concerning the defense.

Wouldn't worry too much about the "returning starter" designation. Hypothetically our starting defense next year may include: E - Miller, Bucholtz; T - Givens, Windsor; LB - Bowen, Farmer, Brown; CB - Reid, Amari; S - Scott, Monroe. That defense will not struggle due to inexperience.
What is concerning is that Bowen may very well not be back

Offense will be fine. I expect to still score a lot of points. The front seven on defense is going to be a problem.

What is concerning is that Bowen may very well not be back
I'm honestly not worried about it. IMO if Manny returns he should be moved to his true position of OLB (Farmer's spot). He could be a big time player there IMO. But if he is once again at ILB, I don't expect a big year from him.

No way this team loses 4 games with McSorely at QB in his third year starting a QB for this team. I know people are down on the offensive line but they have a ton of experience and a lot of talent in the wings. Depth was an issue and that should improve. A lot of the issue is communication and another year in the film room and practice field should benefit us big time. The offense should be very good and I expect McSorely to be a heisman candidate.

Will be interesting seeing how they replace safety and middle linebacker. I love our guys but I didn’t think our DTs we are losing were that good this year. Getting some more natural guys in the mix like Hansard might be a big help. Also the year in the weight room for our defensive ends should be huge. I think we are better at corner by a large margin. I think AO has played the best at corner this season in his time on the field. Reid is an upgrade over anyone who played this season. We have a lot of depth here too, young guys who got their feet wet this season who are freshman like Zech, Wade, Fields. It will be interesting to see how they replace safety. Those guys were great in run support but really lacking in coverage.

Michigan will be tough on the road. We are tough in big games at home. Tough schedule at home but we will defend the home turf in front of 107,000. I think we go 11-1. Will be interesting also to see which reshirts step forward and what true freshman make an impact. We are starting to get the kids who can make impacts quickly. Can’t wait to see them reload vs rebuild.

Sure Ohio State is Ohio State but I will take PSU all day at Beaver Stadium in a white out, early in the season when the Buckeyes are breaking in a green QB.

I'm honestly not worried about it. IMO if Manny returns he should be moved to his true position of OLB (Farmer's spot). He could be a big time player there IMO. But if he is once again at ILB, I don't expect a big year from him.
Yes. Bowen belongs there.

Reactions: BBrown
Leading into this season there was a lot of worrying about the defense. I read on here many times things like "hopefully the offense can score enough to make up for the defense." It turned out ok.

So many of our studs in the past were mid level recruits that didn't shine until they got their chance as a starter. You just never know for sure how things will pan out year to year.

Leading into this season there was a lot of worrying about the defense. I read on here many times things like "hopefully the offense can score enough to make up for the defense." It turned out ok.

So many of our studs in the past were mid level recruits that didn't shine until they got their chance as a starter. You just never know for sure how things will pan out year to year.

10-2
The schedule is overall more favorable.
3 OOC games are almost certain wins
5 BIG home games and 4 Big road games.
Big road games are Indiana, Illinois,, Rutgers and Michigan.
Home games are OSU, Mich State, Wisky, Maryland and Iowa

Offense should put up a lot of points.
McSorley great leader and baller
OL has to be better - I think the light has come on to coaching staff that the RPO hesitation is killing the line. Just had the ball to Sanders and let him go.
Despite the losses of Hamilton, Blacknall and Gesicki, still a lot of talent. Justin Shorter will play from day 1. Thompkins, Hamler and Hippemhamer get a lot of Hamilton's targets. Johnson gets key 3rd down catches with slants. Finally, I think that Tommy Stevens sees a lot of action in various roles. Kid is a horse who just seems to make plays.

The defense will have more depth and this year's off season weight room work will produce a couuple of kids that we are not now considering.

D line will be very deep. While not having an elite DT, there are lots of them that are good. At DE, Matos is an elite talent and many others are very good.

LB will be questionable if Bowen does not return. .If he comes back, we have Bowen, Brown, Farmer along with a few freshmen and Parsons blitzing from the outside.

Lots of DBs, but I would agree that losing the cohesion of four senior starters could emerge as a problem.

First four games are the OOC games and at Illinois.

Should be 4-0 with some chances to tinker with the lineup and get subs some experience in blow out games.

Then 5 of last 8 are home games.

Bye comes at an OK time.

Split Michigan, Michigan State , Ohio State and Wisky, win rest.

10-2

Oruwariye and Reid ( 2 years left!) return. Wade, Castro-Fields, and McPhearson back up. Safeties should be Scott and either Taylor or Monroe. Coaches like RS Sutherland also!
There are only 2 seniors in that group: Oruwariye and Scott.

With Trace back, the sky is the limit as far as our offense is concerned. Sanders looked great in his extra action yesterday. A healthy Bowers will be a huge boost to our blocking. Our WRs will see an influx of talent to offset the loss of Hamilton (consistency) and Blacknall (speed, playmaker but underused). Our OL will return minimally 4 starters, but could see others break through and start.

Defensively, I think we should be the same at worst and improved at best. New blood at LB cannot hurt. New DTs, new safetys are the biggest concerns, but talent is improving and if that doesn't translate on the field then it's time to upgrade some defensive coaches.

Wisconsin added to the schedule brings a potential swing game. Every tough game is at home except for Michigan. It's as favorable of a schedule as we can get. Does it mean we can take advantage of it? To be seen.

I look for the offense to be as good or better. McSorley and Stevens are A++. Sanders/Slade/Robinson will be dynamic. There are enough WOs and the OL will be improved. The D is a project and some wins may be shootouts.

Disagree on schedule. Wisconsin has 9 starters back on offense. sPitt has 17-18. MSU 20. Michigan is loaded. Going to be rough.

Can't tell Pitt having 17-18 starters back is supposed to be a good or bad thing.

Michigan is loaded?? More like CoastGuard is loaded.

I look for the offense to be as good or better. McSorley and Stevens are A++. Sanders/Slade/Robinson will be dynamic. There are enough WOs and the OL will be improved. The D is a project and some wins may be shootouts.

Agree. I think the offense will be better next year.

You guys are forgetting about Journey Brown, and the incoming frosh DB's , DE's , TE's, and the possibility of Micah enrolling early and playing MLB. Each year is a different dynamic, for our opponents too, Mich QB's got killed this year, OSU new QB, Barret was special, i think Wisc has been rolling their QB out since the 80's. Plus the intangibles of coaching changes, injuries, and disciplinary actions.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT