ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for advice-would you fly to Key West?

lionscott

Jun 27, 2005
I have a trip to Key West scheduled for early July for 4 days with a group of friends. I fly from Philadelphia to Miami then to Key West.

So, my question is would you take the trip? I have noticed the cases in Florida are on the rise. It looks like Key West is pretty much open.

I am starting to have second thoughts. I am in my late 40s, pretty much healthy, but thinking why take the risk? Thanks.

I have a trip to Key West scheduled for early July for 4 days with a group of friends. I fly from Philadelphia to Miami then to Key West.

So, my question is would you take the trip? I have noticed the cases in Florida are on the rise. It looks like Key West is pretty much open.

I am starting to have second thoughts. I am in my late 40s, pretty much healthy, but thinking why take the risk? Thanks.
I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just follow the airlines guides, wash your hands, take sanitizer, get plenty of sun, and go in the water. Salt will cure anything. 6 secs of UV light kills 99% of the virus.

I gave it enough thought to cancel three fishing trips this spring/summer. Third one first week in July. KW has only been sorta open for three weeks. Covid numbers will jump up there. Serious enuf for me to pay the guide fees to hold my weeks for next year and take care of two guys that are hurting for cash flow. Note... I am over 70.

Last edited:
Nope. COVID is not going away until we have a vaccine. 120K are dead in just the U.S. We aren’t even halfway through the year and we can’t even be sure there aren’t a lot more deaths that were caused by this.

I would continue to limit your exposure to protect yourself and your family until a viable vaccine is readily available. Flying on an airplane is the opposite of limiting your exposure.

I'd go...done and done. Take the necessary precautions with a mask and washing hands. Use your off-hand, and little finger when you can. Mortality rate fo your age group is statistically zero if you don't have an underlying condition. Odds are, if you catch it, you won't even know. Having said that, avoidance is always the smart play.

BTW, I've been to KW for new year the last three years running. I love the place.

The problem w/ Key West is I think they are quarantining visitors. They also are insisting on mask wearing into 2021 I believe. So, no I wouldn't go. I'd go somewhere else.

I’m going July 8-12. Not even considering cancelling. Got to live! I could get hit by a car tomorrow and it’s over. Hope this helps with your decision.

The problem w/ Key West is I think they are quarantining visitors. They also are insisting on mask wearing into 2021 I believe. So, no I wouldn't go. I'd go somewhere else.

I believe most orders were lifted June 1.

I’m going July 8-12. Not even considering cancelling. Got to live! I could get hit by a car tomorrow and it’s over. Hope this helps with your decision.
If you go, buy a bus pass, was good for two days. Open air buses run continually, pass allows you on and off as many times as you need. Bus circles the entire area. Key West is a fun place but after about three days you may have exhausted the sites.

This really is a personal decision.
I'm 52 good shape and my son and I went to AZ (another place where cases are on the rise) last week for a college visit.
We took precautions, and knock on wood, so far so good.
I looked at it like this .... even with the cases on the rise, only 1/1000 Arizonans were getting the coronavirus per week. Played the odds
Worst part is quarantining from GF now that I'm back. In her work she cannot afford to get coronavirus.

For me, I think it depends on what you are planning on doing in Key West...It's hard being in Key West and not hitting the bars. I think if you go and just hang out at the beach I'd go....bar hopping I'd avoid.

For me, I think it depends on what you are planning on doing in Key West...It's hard being in Key West and not hitting the bars. I think if you go and just hang out at the beach I'd go....bar hopping I'd avoid.
Except for the beach at Ft Taylor, the beaches in Key West suck. If you're not going to take advantage of other things, don't go to Key West for the beaches.

Find a way to get out on the water...fishing, snorkeling, diving.....its the best reason to go there.

What are the hospitals like in Key West should you happen to need one? I have a trip booked to Mexico in October and it's something to seriously consider.

I’d check to see how open businesses are first. If you want to avoid crowds, there are plenty of things to do on the water. If you go to Duval St., you are likely going to take some risks. I personally will be taking a seat at Irish Kevin’s at the first sign of “all clear”.

I’d check to see how open businesses are first. If you want to avoid crowds, there are plenty of things to do on the water. If you go to Duval St., you are likely going to take some risks. I personally will be taking a seat at Irish Kevin’s at the first sign of “all clear”.
Hugh....
Just got back. ALL CLEAR:).

You have to wear your mask to enter but once seated you can remove it.

Sloppy Joe's still not open, but no big deal to me. Its always smelled like puke, desperation and bad music. I much prefer Captain Tony's.

Most everything else, including Irish Kevin's is open.

Hugh....

Sloppy Joe's still not open, but no big deal to me. Its always smelled like puke, desperation and bad music. I much prefer Captain Tony's.

the real question, is Michael still playing??

Reactions: PSU87

I’d go but practice social distancing in the Miami airport and keep hands clean...That’s likely the highest risk area you will encounter.

Reactions: odshowtime
The problem is not whether you’re responsible...even if YOU wash your hands and YOU wear a mask and YOU social distance, our society has proven (so far) that enough people aren’t taking it seriously, which then puts YOU at risk. My friends were at an ice cream stand a couple of days ago and told me that the person in line in front of them got in a huge argument with the employee simply because he was asked to put on a mask when ordering (the whole, “it’s my right to NOT wear a mask” typical ugly ‘Murican stuff). OVER ICE CREAM!?!!?

Point is, it only takes one or two social misfits to ruin it for everyone, and Florida can be social misfit central.

Hugh....

did you go to Blue Heaven? My favorite place in KW

It’s a good thing getting hit by a car isn’t contagious.
My point is that there is a multitude of diseases out there that can get you at one point or another. I’m not worried about a flu that has a less then 1% mortality rate. I’m more worried about cancer or heart disease. two people I know in the past month have been diagnosed with cancer.
I refuse to live my life in fear of what might happen. I eat right exercise and take supplements. If I get the flu then I will deal with it. The media has everyone so damn scared over this, it’s almost at the point of lunacy. Keep pushing for a vaccine so big pharma can get wealthier.

Nope you need to wear a mask while out in public until sometime in 2022. I was scheduled to go down there for business next month for a few weeks but it's been pushed until August. Here's an article about it.
https://keysweekly.com/42/bocc-votes-to-require-protective-coverings-until-june-2021/
LOL...June 2021? Have they called their psychic 800 number counselors to get that information? I wouldn't be shocked but making that call a year early is ludicrous.

Except for the beach at Ft Taylor, the beaches in Key West suck. If you're not going to take advantage of other things, don't go to Key West for the beaches.

Find a way to get out on the water...fishing, snorkeling, diving.....its the best reason to go there.

For me, it would be an easy trip to cancel. I never really understood the draw of Key West. The drive in is the best part of the trip, and it sounds like he is flying. I enjoyed the Hemingway house... once. Seeing the Southernmost point in the continental US.... takes about 10 minutes of your trip. The beaches suck, the bar scene is overrated, and the food is average. I agree that the strongest draw seems to be the water based activities. The only way he should even consider the trip is if his main interest is water based activities.

You'd be more apt to worry about herpes, chlamydia, HIV, hepatitis C, and gonorrhea than COVID 19.

My point is that there is a multitude of diseases out there that can get you at one point or another. I’m not worried about a flu that has a less then 1% mortality rate. I’m more worried about cancer or heart disease. two people I know in the past month have been diagnosed with cancer.
I refuse to live my life in fear of what might happen. I eat right exercise and take supplements. If I get the flu then I will deal with it. The media has everyone so damn scared over this, it’s almost at the point of lunacy. Keep pushing for a vaccine so big pharma can get wealthier.

Found the tough guy who is afraid of putting a piece of cloth over his face

LOL...June 2021? Have they called their psychic 800 number counselors to get that information? I wouldn't be shocked but making that call a year early is ludicrous.
There is no lack of local psychics in Key West!

Agree. If going to the beach was a big part of the trip - better off in Delray or up here. Plenty to do in both places. Heck you can get a room at the Juno Beach Holiday Inn - nearly on the beach - for $100/night all summer. Quick walk to the Thirsty Turtle too! The old Marriot in Delray is probably $150 - another steal.

Reactions: PSU87
Nope. COVID is not going away until we have a vaccine. 120K are dead in just the U.S. We aren’t even halfway through the year and we can’t even be sure there aren’t a lot more deaths that were caused by this.

I would continue to limit your exposure to protect yourself and your family until a viable vaccine is readily available. Flying on an airplane is the opposite of limiting your exposure.

You may have a very long wait. No one has ever been successful in targeting a vaccine to the rna of a viral coronavirus. People thinking there will be an effective vaccine by years end could have a very long wait.

Not a problem. My kids just flew here to Delray Beach through FLL from PHL. Everyone is wearing masks and the planes are being cleaned regularly. My friends all have houses in KW and have been enjoying the town. Good friend is developing Covid 19 anti-body testing at FAU and he suggests as long as you stay outside for meals etc as much as possible and keep some distance between you and large groups you will be fine.

The Thousand Islands area of NY is really nice this time of year

We planned to go to Vermont in August but they currently have a quarantine policy in place too (along with paperwork that must be submitted) for out of state guests. Will probably pass unless that stuff is lifted in time for the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT