ADVERTISEMENT

Little bit of schedule news

Isn't it great how we have to piece together our schedule through other teams? I don't get it.

Isn't it great how we have to piece together our schedule through other teams? I don't get it.
Yeah, it would be so much better if we were like Purdue that only has to worry about their 500 fans and no national championships, if only we could get our schedule three months ahead of the first match, rather than two months ahead of time.

For that matter, maybe our coaches should stop coaching up world champions in the summertime, and work on that schedule. Purdue coaches/admins have a lot of time on their hands because of that.

And, why go to the bother of having any matches at BJC? We have our cozy Rec Hall, where the average age of attendance is like 83. No sense in going to all that hassle of the BJC, trying to gain a younger audience and grow the sport.

Oh, speaking of growing the sports, we could be like Tom Brands and wrestle the same out of conference schedule year after year. Iowa Central Community College every single year, anybody, instead of Army, Stanford, Utah Valley State, Rider, Buffalo, Bucknell, Pitt, Lock Haven and Boston University?

Yep, if only we could be Purdue.

I think we work backwards with respect to the schedule. Once the B1* sends over the conference dates, our guys look at how these affect the Dec/Jan holiday tournaments. then they nail down the OOC schedule.

the BJC dual(s) factor in and since we are 4th in line for that venue makes for problems in schedule.

needless to say it should be rather easy to pull together but I suspect it rarely is.

not going to the scuffle last year suggests this to me, cause the staff said multiple times they love that event.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar and hlstone
This is what we know so far...

1/19 -- Friday --- Purdue at Penn State
1/21 -- Sunday --- Penn State at Maryland
1/28 -- Sunday --- Rutgers vs Penn State
2/9 or 2/11 --- Iowa at Penn State
2/18 -- Sunday -- Buffalo at Penn State

Isn't the Rutgers dual at Rutgers?

I will take an unusual amount of joy in seeing that ass kicking this year!

Yeah, it would be so much better if we were like Purdue that only has to worry about their 500 fans and no national championships, if only we could get our schedule three months ahead of the first match, rather than two months ahead of time.

For that matter, maybe our coaches should stop coaching up world champions in the summertime, and work on that schedule. Purdue coaches/admins have a lot of time on their hands because of that.

And, why go to the bother of having any matches at BJC? We have our cozy Rec Hall, where the average age of attendance is like 83. No sense in going to all that hassle of the BJC, trying to gain a younger audience and grow the sport.

Oh, speaking of growing the sports, we could be like Tom Brands and wrestle the same out of conference schedule year after year. Iowa Central Community College every single year, anybody, instead of Army, Stanford, Utah Valley State, Rider, Buffalo, Bucknell, Pitt, Lock Haven and Boston University?

I'd trade those titles in a heartbeat for the certainty of knowing, in August, the precise dates of the duals we're going to lose in January.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
I think we work backwards with respect to the schedule. Once the B1* sends over the conference dates, our guys look at how these affect the Dec/Jan holiday tournaments. then they nail down the OOC schedule.

the BJC dual(s) factor in and since we are 4th in line for that venue makes for problems in schedule.

needless to say it should be rather easy to pull together but I suspect it rarely is.

not going to the scuffle last year suggests this to me, cause the staff said multiple times they love that event.
Hey Dunk, you pretty much have it, though I'll say it's not easy at all. Here's a little more info...

-- Each team is allowed 16 Competition Dates
-- PSU traditionally schedules 2 in-season tournaments, the rest are duals
-- The B1G schedule does come out much earlier, and must be known first before scheduling out-of-conference duals, though all, or all but one B1G dual is after the New Year, so the coaches CAN get started on early season, non-conference duals. Re. B1G Duals, they ARE sometimes moved for facility conflicts, BTN coverage, etc., so even the conference schedule may have a date moved, and the school works with the conference closely in these cases.
-- There's only 14 available weekends to schedule. There are 16 weekends between Nov. 1, and Feb. 18, but the coaches keep Thanksgiving and Christmas free for the kids. We usually lose another weekend to schedule just prior to, or just after, a Holiday Tournament, as it's grueling, and the coaches want to keep the kids fresh heading into conference matches. So now it's 13 weekends max, to schedule.
-- To wrestle an out-of-conference foe, both schedules have to align with available dates. That's much more difficult than most imagine.
-- BJC Duals are a big deal, scheduling-wise. Men's and Women's Basketball starts in November too, and as the only permanent tenants, they get first dibs. Then there's th process for approval within the university. This is a big reason for the delay in publishing the complete wrestling schedule. If you notice, for years we did not have a BJC Dual, the schedule was released sooner. That's no longer the case.
-- With Ohio State, Iowa, and Minny at home, we already have a solid schedule for our fans. This is in addition to Indiana and Purdue.
-- The schedule will be out soon.

It's all part of Cael's evil master plan of letting all the other coaches do the work for him, while he sits back and counts the trophies.
Haha...if by "other coaches", you mean Cody, your comment is right on ;):).

...you can add:

Penn State @ Lehigh Dec. 9 2 PM

This is what we know so far...

11/12 -- Sunday-- Bucknell at Penn State
12/3 -- Sunday -- Penn State at Lehigh
1/19 -- Friday --- Purdue at Penn State
1/21 -- Sunday --- Penn State at Maryland
1/28 -- Sunday --- Penn State at Rutgers
2/9 or 2/11 --- Iowa at Penn State
2/18 -- Sunday -- Buffalo at Penn State

Last edited:
B10 Conference could choose to release the in conference schedule for all teams at once.

Clearly they have it, since mutiple teams have released full schefules.

a local match (Umd) on my birthday, nice.

Last edited:

Busted !!

Reactions: findtheStrength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT