ADVERTISEMENT

Let's give Temple credit too!

MacNit7

Aug 22, 2015
Let's face it, the margin between the best, the average, and the worst is a lot narrower now...one win every 65 years - I'd say they were due.

Thought we looked very good thru 1st Quarter - good play calling, solid defense and tackling, even decent Special Teams. But Temple adjusted (good job Rhule!) and we did not.

Yes, we have more talent - but not at the margins from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Stuff happens (see OSU vs VA Tech...heck, minus some outright official robbery, we beat OSU last year too).

As our talent level and experience returns, we might just get better too...might be a year or so off? But what alternative do we have (BOT screwed the program royally)? Unless you just want to chuck it?

At the end of the day, experienced talent will win most games. Game day coaching can help on the margins. Hopefully Franklin will get better on the latter....

Absolutely give them credit. They pinned their ears back and got after us all game. They were fired up and wanted it more than we did. Hats off to Coach Rhule and Temple. It looked like our guys were only fired up when the loss was inevitable.

Last edited:
Kind of hard to understand since these are basically the same two teams that played last year. They got better and we? Well got?

Even worse we play the "same" team again next year. Will they be better still while we get ?

Let's face it, the margin between the best, the average, and the worst is a lot narrower now...one win every 65 years - I'd say they were due.

Thought we looked very good thru 1st Quarter - good play calling, solid defense and tackling, even decent Special Teams. But Temple adjusted (good job Rhule!) and we did not.

Stuff happens (see OSU vs VA Tech...heck, minus some outright official robbery, we beat OSU last year too).

As our talent level and experience returns, we might just get better too...might be a year or so off? But what alternative do we have (BOT screwed the program royally)? Unless you just want to chuck it?

At the end of the day, experienced talent will win most games. Game day coaching can help on the margins. Hopefully Franklin will get better on the latter....
I give them credit but (I know this sounds like sour grapes but why the hell would I care) I think they are just an average team. Right now we are terrible. The win was less about how good they are and more about how bad we are. I've said, and I believe, the only team on our schedule that would not have beaten us Saturday is Buffalo, and I may be wrong about them. I will totally change my opinion about Temple if they beat Cincy on the road Saturday. Then I will say they are for real.

Could this years Temple be similar to 2013 UCF? We were upset about the loss but it stung less after they put together a great season?

The sting from the lack of effort and taking a loss for the first time in over 70 years against them on the road won't go away, I am simply talking about the W-L aspect.

Last edited:
Could this years Temple be similar to 2013 UCF? We were upset about the loss but it stungs less after they put together a great season?

The sting from the lack of effort and taking a loss for the first time in over 70 years against them on the road won't go away, I am simply talking about the W-L aspect.

You'll get an indication next week when they play at Cincy.

Temple will lose this week and Notre Dame will demolish them.

I wonder if the Temple faithful will wear their F@CK ND shirts when the Irish come to town like the F@CK PSU ones I saw all over TV - man that really tends to make a whole fan base look like D-Bags even if it wasn't that many of them.

I agree. It pains me to say it, but Temple was just tougher than us. #8 and #9 for Temple can play for me anytime.

Kind of hard to understand since these are basically the same two teams that played last year. They got better and we? Well got?

Even worse we play the "same" team again next year. Will they be better still while we get ?

Temple was returning 19 starters I believe and all but 1 on defense. PSU was returning 15 I believe and most of the losses were on defense (think we were returning 9 on offense). The problem is that returning 9 starters from PSU's awful offense last year is not necessarily a good thing -- in fact, I would argue it says nothing as many of them were playing out of simple necessity, not greatness. Our greatest losses were on defense where we lost half the starters and many of our best players. And this is exactly what you saw on Saturday - Temple returning 100% of their very good defense and PSU with losses on defenses was the difference in the game as PSU's offense put up near identical bad numbers to last year's Temple game. Temple may well be a very improved team over last year - there's no way to know until we see how they play. But don't agree with your assertion that the teams are nearly the same as last year - especially PSU on defense. PSU lost a ton more than Temple on defense from last year.

Temple was returning 19 starters I believe and all but 1 on defense. PSU was returning 15 I believe and most of the losses were on defense (think we were returning 9 on offense). The problem is that returning 9 starters from PSU's awful offense last year is not necessarily a good thing -- in fact, I would argue it says nothing as many of them were playing out of simple necessity, not greatness. Our greatest losses were on defense where we lost half the starters and many of our best players. And this is exactly what you saw on Saturday - Temple returning 100% of their very good defense and PSU with losses on defenses was the difference in the game as PSU's offense put up near identical bad numbers to last year's Temple game. Temple may well be a very improved team over last year - there's no way to know until we see how they play. But don't agree with your assertion that the teams are nearly the same as last year - especially PSU on defense. PSU lost a ton more than Temple on defense from last year.
Yeah, sure, that explains it alright.
Draft class ranks:
2015 - PSU #15, Temple #73
2014 - PSU #24, Temple #54
2013 - PSU #43, Temple #85
2012 - PSU #51, Temple #77
2011 - PSU #35, Temple #108
In that time, Temple has had just one 4-star or better recruit, PSU has 28.
The losses on D does not explain it - the O is what failed miserably. Probably the main difference in the game is that the Temple coaches learned from last year, the PSU coaches did not.

Yeah, sure, that explains it alright.
Draft class ranks:
2015 - PSU #15, Temple #73
2014 - PSU #24, Temple #54
2013 - PSU #43, Temple #85
2012 - PSU #51, Temple #77
2011 - PSU #35, Temple #108
In that time, Temple has had just one 4-star or better recruit, PSU has 28.
The losses on D does not explain it - the O is what failed miserably. Probably the main difference in the game is that the Temple coaches learned from last year, the PSU coaches did not.

They also return 10 starters from one of the best defenses in the country last year. You spout recruiting results as if they're more meaningful than on field results - laughable.

Reactions: ek1034
The following are the reasons that Temple not only won but actually man-handled us.

1) Heart. They had it. They could of given up when down 10 - 0 and after the turnover. They didn't. They battled. Our guys when challenged went soft. Our team right now is soft. Guys like Hack were out there covering up and not looking downfield and just going down easy because he wants to protect his NFL draft status. Well, he is blowing that opportunity by playing soft. Same with the OL, soft or confused or both. Either way, we lack toughness on offense.

2) Coaching. We initially had things working and they couldn't buy a first down. They changed things up and we failed to adjust. Plus, they had a huge advantage on the coaching all through the off-season. They were fundamentally sound and our guys despite the lofty rankings comparatively, were not fundamentally sound. It reminded me of the O Lines under Weiss at ND. He had elite OL prospects coming in for several years and they never seemed to get better because they only had HS techniques. Whereas teams like Temple with inferior talent are coached up well and get better. Hot routes? Well that is just a bridge too far for our offensive staff.

3) They wanted to win. We thought it would be handed to us.

Temple is basically the same team on defense where they were top 20 and not the same on offense where we have Robbie Anderson wh caught 9 Td passes in 2013 in 6 games but didn't play last year including many other players who made a impact on offense but didn't play last year.

I wonder if the Temple faithful will wear their F@CK ND shirts when the Irish come to town like the F@CK PSU ones I saw all over TV - man that really tends to make a whole fan base look like D-Bags even if it wasn't that many of them.

Yes there were THOUSANDS of them.....we all wore them.... F'OWL'K PSU is what they said...
Of course it's not as clever as SH&TT On Pitt

Reactions: ek1034
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT