ADVERTISEMENT

let's ease off Franklin please

I can't see PSU firing a coach after three seasons, especially after investing so much money in him.
$4.5 million and the expectations aren't high anymore. Charles Strong in Texas is in his second season and it sound like they are ready to fire him next year if he doesn't turn it around. The Texas fans still expect at least 9-10 wins every season.

$4.5 million and the expectations aren't high anymore. Charles Strong in Texas is in his second season and it sound like they are ready to fire him next year if he doesn't turn it around. The Texas fans still expect at least 9-10 wins every season.

I would add that with the recruiting classes Franklin has pulled in, he has already bought himself four years at a minimum. PSU won't fire him after three. What Texas does is irrelevant to PSU's decisions.

The play calling did nothing to stop Temple from pinning their ears back and rushing the passer. No screens, draw plays, quick hitters, shuttle passes, nothing. That's on the coaching staff.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Franklin's team loses their opener - and badly, in a beatdown - after an entire off-season to rectify issues that were painfully obvious last year. The injuries I can kinda see as bad luck, give him that (they should have a solid backup plan, but yeah, they're thin at the positions...), but Temple's D shut PSU down after PSU's 2nd score and there was no adjustment in the 2nd half to counter what Temple was doing.

If Franklin is going to boast about "dominate the state," he has done it so far in recruiting but has to get it done on the field as well. Until he does I see no reason to "ease off." Franklin is head coach and he's accountable for the failures as well as the successes.

The bottom line is he's 7-7 at Penn State.

Losses to Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, and now Temple (for the first time since 1941- 74 years).

PSU also barely escaped losing to powerhouses UCF, Indiana, Rutgers, and Boston College last year. No one would expect fans to 'ease off' any coaching staff after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The play calling did nothing to stop Temple from pinning their ears back and rushing the passer. No screens, draw plays, quick hitters, shuttle passes, nothing. That's on the coaching staff.

We don't know that at all - the QB may well have play-calling authority when the defense shows a clear blitz look which it regularly did. Complete nonsense that we know play changes due to a defense shifting into a blitz formation is "on the coaches".

the OLine is not very good - is that his fault? The guy needs 4 years of his own classes coming in - and the guy recruits. Our OLine problems are made worse since Hack doesn't move very well. The D's can just pin their ears back and go. And in the process Hack is sort of getting Bolden(ed) (as in Rob) - he's starting to stare down receivers, and he's getting hit so often - he's numb to pressure and now doesn't sense it very well (at all). The Redskins line in 2011 sucked. In 2012 they looked all-world with RGIII and the read option. Not saying we should switch to that but any type of mobile QB keep the Defense honest. But a bad line and an a QB that can't scramble is a really bad combo. Have at it hornets.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Take a look at our OL:
  • Mangiro was a 3* recruit in 2011. He had offers from Florida, Ohio State, and USC and he's had 4 years in the program.
  • Gaia was a 3* recruit in 2012 so this is his 3rd year.
  • Nelson was a 3* recruit in 2012 so this is his 3rd year.
  • Mahon was a 4* recruit in 2013. He had offers from Florida, UCLA, and Michigan.
  • Palmer was the top JUCO DT in the country
That might not be enough to compete with the top teams in the country but it should certainly be enough to grind out 100 yards against a team like Temple.

He could also put Hack in a better position to make plays with the talent he has. Did you watch the Temple game? Have you ever seen a TV announcer question the offensive scheme as much as Huard did on Saturday? And if Hack can't get it done he should move to the next guy. I know it's not an easy decision but you can't risk losing recruits and fan support over one player.

Franklin is getting paid > $4 million and the staff as a whole is probably getting paid close to $8 million. I can be patient and wait a few years until we can compete with OSU. I don't expect our experienced OL to be DOMINATED by Temple.

' I can be patient and wait a few years until we can compete with OSU. I don't expect our experienced OL to be DOMINATED by Temple.'

That is exactly how I feel.
No matter how you look at it and no amount of excuses can let JF off the hook on this one.

This game is a total indictment on JF as a game coach. There are only three ways from now on:

1. Repeat what we are doing and lose some more games. If you cannot beat Temple at a neutral location, you are not competitive against the middle tier Big 10 teams, let alone the top teams. If we do not do anything, then we will eventually lose our fan base and recruiting advantages.
2. JF is a nice guy, personable, and a super recruiter. If we feel that these are worthwhile qualities to keep him, then get him help. GET AN OFFENSIVE CO-ORDINATOR that can lay out a good game plan and make adjustments. Right now, we have no such capability. ( UCLA acknowledged their defensive issues and hired Tom Bradley. Look at their defense in their first game )
3. Terminate JF and find a more capable coach.

Reactions: eloracv
The best thing anyone can do is actually criticize what happened on Saturday. If you are not able to handle it you have no interest in getting better at what you do. Maybe it is today's society but I think the term I see is "shaming" cause everyone is pc...which is sad. So...Damn right I am shaming...that was an abomination of a gameplan...i will not ease up. There is absolutely no excuse for a team to be that unprepared to handle a simple delay blitz...or block the man in front. These are still 3-4 star lineman....that are missing basic 6 grade blitz pick ups. The sad thing is that is in coaching. So no....i won't ease up. This isn't Vanderbilt....There are no more sanctions...no more excuses. This is penn state....we expect more. I hope they understand that. Man up get off of twitter or track this board....and coach. Yeti has spoken.

Reactions: eloracv
Sorry but I completely disagree. Take a look at our OL:
  • Mangiro was a 3* recruit in 2011. He had offers from Florida, Ohio State, and USC and he's had 4 years in the program.
  • Gaia was a 3* recruit in 2012 so this is his 3rd year.
  • Nelson was a 3* recruit in 2012 so this is his 3rd year.
  • Mahon was a 4* recruit in 2013. He had offers from Florida, UCLA, and Michigan.
  • Palmer was the top JUCO DT in the country
That might not be enough to compete with the top teams in the country but it should certainly be enough to grind out 100 yards against a team like Temple.

He could also put Hack in a better position to make plays with the talent he has. Did you watch the Temple game? Have you ever seen a TV announcer question the offensive scheme as much as Huard did on Saturday? And if Hack can't get it done he should move to the next guy. I know it's not an easy decision but you can't risk losing recruits and fan support over one player.

Franklin is getting paid > $4 million and the staff as a whole is probably getting paid close to $8 million. I can be patient and wait a few years until we can compete with OSU. I don't expect our experienced OL to be DOMINATED by Temple.

Complete BS - you have no clue how good Temple's defense is. Team's typically have upwards of 20 OL to pick from because just because a player is highly rated as a recruit, this is no guarantee that the player will perform at the college level (Bolden and McGloin is a perfect example of this). OL is the position that probably has the highest failure rate between recruiting rankings and success in college which is why most team's carry up to 20 scholarship OL on their roster, but according to you, FLO leaving a handful that wasn't even enough to practice with isn't a huge disadvantage??? (e.g., any OL on the roster, regardless of ability, must be played because that's all Franklin has on the roster). Your post and its claims are nothing but absurd FLO-knobbing bull$hit.

Complete BS - you have no clue how good Temple's defense is. Team's typically have upwards of 20 OL to pick from because just because a player is highly rated as a recruit, this is no guarantee that the player will perform at the college level (Bolden and McGloin is a perfect example of this). OL is the position that probably has the highest failure rate between recruiting rankings and success in college which is why most team's carry up to 20 scholarship OL on their roster, but according to you, FLO leaving a handful that wasn't even enough to practice with isn't a huge disadvantage??? (e.g., any OL on the roster, regardless of ability, must be played because that's all Franklin has on the roster). Your post and its claims are nothing but absurd FLO-knobbing bull$hit.

I completely agree that O'Brien failed to recruit linemen and that depth is a serious problem. But we returned was 4/5ths of the OL and the same RB that ran for 130 yards vs. Temple last year.

I completely agree that O'Brien failed to recruit linemen and that depth is a serious problem. But we returned was 4/5ths of the OL and the same RB that ran for 130 yards vs. Temple last year.

Just because the handful of OL on the roster left after FLO's departure started games last year does not make them "starter" quality if PSU had even 2/3 of a normal OL roster on hand. Simply absurd to pointing at them as starting out of absolute necessity as proof they are good linemen or of "starting quality" on even an average D1A team with a normal 4-Deep scholarship depth chart to choose from. Absurd to keep saying it does - coaches can't take crap and make it into gold regardless if you claim it is easily done or not.

How did we do so well against one of the best defenses in the country last year when we played Boston College,in the Pinstripe Bowl? The only OL difference was Smith as Diffenbach went down with an injury early in the game. Hack threw for,over 300 yds in that game and we even used the TE's as targets. The lost guy in this mix is Carter. Why is he relegated to third string status. Something is going on here.

Reactions: bison13 and tgar
The bottom line is he's 7-7 at Penn State with losses to Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, and now Temple (for the first time since 1941- 74 years). PSU also barely escaped losing to UCF, Indiana, Rutgers, and Boston College. No coach would expect fans to 'ease off' any coaching staff after that.
It's almost the opposite with Rutgers with coach Flood. Flood almost got fired after the 2013 season and is under fire this season but his head coaching record is 24-16. I expected him to be fired at some point but after seeing that our 2 QBs and the new offensive line is working, I expect a winning season this year and having Flood for at least 3 more seasons.

All I know is that I'm going this Saturday to the home opener and I never would have thought that a game against Buffalo could be as important as it now is.

the OLine is not very good - is that his fault? YES The guy needs 4 years of his own classes coming in - and the guy recruits. No he does not - a good coach would take the great defense he inherited and put together an offense that utilizes the pieces he has been given to beat Temple Our OLine problems are made worse since Hack doesn't move very well. And running the same 10 plays that do not help the QB against pressure is coaching.... The D's can just pin their ears back and go. And in the process Hack is sort of getting Bolden(ed) (as in Rob) - he's starting to stare down receivers, and he's getting hit so often - he's numb to pressure and now doesn't sense it very well (at all). Hack has never shown the ability to sense pressure and throw the ball away - he did not throw the ball away once against Temple. The Redskins line in 2011 sucked. In 2012 they looked all-world with RGIII and the read option. Not saying we should switch to that but any type of mobile QB keep the Defense honest. But a bad line and an a QB that can't scramble is a really bad combo. Have at it hornets. Its up to CJF to earn the big $ and get personnel on the field with a game plan that wins games. He has stated over and over that he will play the players that can win games now, and NOW is the time to get on with it.

Reactions: bison13 and eloracv
the OLine is not very good - is that his fault? YES The guy needs 4 years of his own classes coming in - and the guy recruits. No he does not - a good coach would take the great defense he inherited and put together an offense that utilizes the pieces he has been given to beat Temple Our OLine problems are made worse since Hack doesn't move very well. And running the same 10 plays that do not help the QB against pressure is coaching.... The D's can just pin their ears back and go. And in the process Hack is sort of getting Bolden(ed) (as in Rob) - he's starting to stare down receivers, and he's getting hit so often - he's numb to pressure and now doesn't sense it very well (at all). Hack has never shown the ability to sense pressure and throw the ball away - he did not throw the ball away once against Temple. The Redskins line in 2011 sucked. In 2012 they looked all-world with RGIII and the read option. Not saying we should switch to that but any type of mobile QB keep the Defense honest. But a bad line and an a QB that can't scramble is a really bad combo. Have at it hornets. Its up to CJF to earn the big $ and get personnel on the field with a game plan that wins games. He has stated over and over that he will play the players that can win games now, and NOW is the time to get on with it.

Take a look at tonight's game as a perfect example - if CH played for tO$U, tO$U would have already taken 4 or 5 sacks and would have zero points instead of having ZERO sacks and 14 points (with both TDs coming off the QB making a play off max pressure blitzes with defenders in the backfield without being blocked). Jones just got rid of it tow plays in a row where VaTech brought big pressure and got their hands on him, but he was still able to get rid of it!

Take a look at tonight's game as a perfect example - if CH played for tO$U, tO$U would have already taken 4 or 5 sacks and would have zero points instead of having ZERO sacks and 14 points (with both TDs coming off the QB making a play off max pressure blitzes with defenders in the backfield without being blocked). Jones just got rid of it tow plays in a row where VaTech brought big pressure and got their hands on him, but he was still able to get rid of it!
Keep stroking that hardon! It hasn't gone down in at least 5 hours so.maybe you should go to the hospital!

Reactions: bison13
Franklin isn't going anywhere soon unless you start looking in the stands and seeing 75,000 strong. I was in Austin for 13 years during the Mack Brown era, and people said the same thing. Great recruiter, lousy coach, loyal to his buddy Offensive coordinator (Greg Davs), wanted the OC gone every year, etc. Quite frankly.... I could live with what Texas did even though it was "one measly national title and a lot of talent". Still pretty exciting for a lot of years. A lot of top 10 finishes.

You have to give him a few years. They'll probably stink next year too with a first year QB. He clearly wants a guy that can move around a little bit though.

Reactions: m48tank
My concern isn't the o-line. I know that they are severely challenged in many ways. But these things come and go. One year you have a great o-line, the next they suck. Its the nature of college football and the four year eligibility cap. The problem is that we all knew that the o-line was going to be bad yet we didn't game plan nor adjust when it was clear what Temple was doing and going to do. I mean, didn't we practice assignments all spring and in camp when facing a 6 or 7 man blitz? Didn't we put in plans to counter 8 in the box defenses? Do we have a play were the WR and QB, recognizing an LB is coming, to break off the route and flood the abandoned zone?

Its bad to have a depleted o-line, but what is worse is that we didn't anticipate nor adjust one iota. That is on this staff. Everyone on this board knew what we were going to see on saturday, everyone.

the OLine is not very good - is that his fault? The guy needs 4 years of his own classes coming in - and the guy recruits. Our OLine problems are made worse since Hack doesn't move very well. The D's can just pin their ears back and go. And in the process Hack is sort of getting Bolden(ed) (as in Rob) - he's starting to stare down receivers, and he's getting hit so often - he's numb to pressure and now doesn't sense it very well (at all). The Redskins line in 2011 sucked. In 2012 they looked all-world with RGIII and the read option. Not saying we should switch to that but any type of mobile QB keep the Defense honest. But a bad line and an a QB that can't scramble is a really bad combo. Have at it hornets.

I respect PSU and Joe Paterno greatly...but hate PSU due to 2-35-1.....my take...and I have met Franklin personally at UMD Fund Raising events over years during his 2 stints in College Park...

I cannot believe PSU hired him...plain and simple.....Coach Bubble Screen (among the many things we called him) was a good recruiter...but even we hated his playcalling under Friedgen. Just too slick a guy...stuff about I want all hot wives on my asst coaches or they are not competitive enough, among other things I'll not relate....I just do not believe he will fit in at State College.....

time will tell...but the complaints I read here are exactly the things we said about Franklin and Donavan 8 years ago...eerily similar....Good Luck.....

This begs the question... How many sophomores did Joepa field together as OL starters in his career that were part of hugely successful OLs ?

I respect PSU and Joe Paterno greatly...but hate PSU due to 2-35-1.....my take...and I have met Franklin personally at UMD Fund Raising events over years during his 2 stints in College Park...

I cannot believe PSU hired him...plain and simple.....Coach Bubble Screen (among the many things we called him) was a good recruiter...but even we hated his playcalling under Friedgen. Just too slick a guy...stuff about I want all hot wives on my asst coaches or they are not competitive enough, among other things I'll not relate....I just do not believe he will fit in at State College.....

time will tell...but the complaints I read here are exactly the things we said about Franklin and Donavan 8 years ago...eerily similar....Good Luck.....

Coach Bubble Screen........ sounds like what they called Bruce Arians here when he was with the Steelers. He must really be stinking it up.

Sorry, I do not agree. There was zero improvement from last year on Offense with just about everyone back and an infusion of good young talent, both red shirt and true freshmen. All Temple did was go press coverage and bring people. We had no answer. Hackenberg looked shell shocked and the coaches had no clue how to burn Temple which we should have been able to do with the speed we have at wide-out.

My concern isn't the o-line. I know that they are severely challenged in many ways. But these things come and go. One year you have a great o-line, the next they suck. Its the nature of college football and the four year eligibility cap. The problem is that we all knew that the o-line was going to be bad yet we didn't game plan nor adjust when it was clear what Temple was doing and going to do. I mean, didn't we practice assignments all spring and in camp when facing a 6 or 7 man blitz? Didn't we put in plans to counter 8 in the box defenses? Do we have a play were the WR and QB, recognizing an LB is coming, to break off the route and flood the abandoned zone?

Its bad to have a depleted o-line, but what is worse is that we didn't anticipate nor adjust one iota. That is on this staff. Everyone on this board knew what we were going to see on saturday, everyone.

Temple played tight man-to-man coverage on our receivers, along with stacking the box and bringing various blitzes. Seemed to me like our receivers did NOT get separation so they should come in for some of the blame. Someone who was at the game with more info on how the receivers played?

Temple played tight man-to-man coverage on our receivers, along with stacking the box and bringing various blitzes. Seemed to me like our receivers did NOT get separation so they should come in for some of the blame. Someone who was at the game with more info on how the receivers played?

I was not at the game but that's the book on running bitzes. You can't run a zone because the O will "slant" you to death. You put a man in motion, how the LBs react to motion shows who is blitzing, you break off a play to run a slant to that OLB, nobody home to stop a quick 8 yard pickup. So you run a tight man-to-man and hope you get pressure before the WR uncovers deep.

But here is my beef. Late, way too late, in the game, Hack tossed a fair-catch lollipop to Goodwin for a long gain. we've got four WR's at 6-3 or over. T's CBs were 5-10 and 5-11. They were out on an island and they couldn't let the guy behind you. this is perfect for a "jump ball" deep pass where the CB has to play the guy and not the ball.

Hey, but that's just me...I don't get paid $3m/yr. to coach.

I'm curious, what does the acronym FLO stand for? I'm sure it can't be negative since BOB saved this program from 0-12 just in time to be run into the ground by the worst coaching staff in PSU history.

At $4.5 million, results need to be better. Otherwise, he'll be seeking employment somewhere else.

Your right, Franklin can recruit, however, at some point you must develop the talent and win. If you don't, even the recruiting will go south. I agree we don't have OSU, MSU, or even UM talent yet, but we certainly have better talent than Temple, and our staff was unprepared for what teams did to us all of last year, press coverage, load the box and blitz. You would think that they would have worked on that all of the spring and all of camp.

just make bushwood HC and all will be well. National Champs every year.

Temple is better than most here gave them credit for. But they also really outcoached the PSU as far as in game adjustments.

Reactions: JoeDidntKnow
franklin is the blame, he is a recruiter not a head coach who can win in the big 10

[
The best thing anyone can do is actually criticize what happened on Saturday. If you are not able to handle it you have no interest in getting better at what you do. Maybe it is today's society but I think the term I see is "shaming" cause everyone is pc...which is sad. So...Damn right I am shaming...that was an abomination of a gameplan...i will not ease up. There is absolutely no excuse for a team to be that unprepared to handle a simple delay blitz...or block the man in front. These are still 3-4 star lineman....that are missing basic 6 grade blitz pick ups. The sad thing is that is in coaching. So no....i won't ease up. This isn't Vanderbilt....There are no more sanctions...no more excuses. This is penn state....we expect more. I hope they understand that. Man up get off of twitter or track this board....and coach. Yeti has spoken.

When we pay someone to build a coach staff and pay him $ x million with a budget for his coaching staff $x million, we expect a return. If there is no return, we have to put him on a clock to show improvements. We have already given him last year as a no worry year. I will buy to give him a second year. The unfortunate thing is that there is no improvement that has been shown.

In any corporate world, this is not acceptable.

Yea, don't worry. He has everything covered excect the "football thing".....

We know this true. That's what he said..... He better look at his business cards to confirm that he is the "Football Coach"

It's not all negative. On the bright side it has to be better this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Franklin sowed what he is reaping. He indicated that the O-line and offense was much improved this year compared to last. He even said the offense was holding its own in practice, where last year it was hard because the offense was so far behind the defense. He stated that the team was playing much faster and that Palmer had figured it out. It is obvious he oversold. I have never seen a worse loss and it was embarrassing. The loss is on the coaches as Franklin wanted. I will continue to support the team, but Franklin needs to get his act together, and I hope he does, and believe he will. He just better lower the expectations unless this team can turn it around. With Wartman-White out, Shoop better have something up his sleeve or it could get ugly if the defense can't hold up like it did last year. I do feel bad for Hack. He has stuck it out and it is costing him dearly.

Reactions: NapaNit
Come on! 4 of the Oline played all of last year, including two backups. How can you go from playing a full season, having an off season to prepare and improve, and then look worse than anytime last season. Coaching, offensive scheme (or lack thereof), and inability or unwillingness to make changes during a game. That is the head coaches responsibility. Football games always have momentum turners. How a team responds to them tells the outcome. We made no significant adjustments at half time, had the ball to begin the half, had a 16 yd gain first play, then 2 up the middle runs that gained nothing and a pass, that if caught, would have been 4 yds.short of first down. It was all downhill from there. No inspiration on the sidelines at all so, no, we do not need to lay off Franklin. He is getting paid big bucks to manage this and this is a total fail considering at least six guys from last year's Oline returned!
Living up to your name...you must be young...does not happen in a snap...trust me. Give it time. Seen this many times before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT