ADVERTISEMENT

Drew vs. Beau...and Franklin thoughts...

med2659

Aug 4, 2019
In a big picture sense, if our downfield/intermediate passing game is not working with Drew then what is the point in playing him instead of Beau, honestly...at least Beau gives u a legit running threat and might still give u similar passing production (which isn't much at the moment anyway)...he fits the read option WAY better than Drew...also if PSU wants to be a ball control offense, well Beau should be better at that as he will constantly be getting 3-6 yard per carry, while also breaking off some 20+ runs and keeping the chains moving...this offense we currently run with Drew is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

i know Drew is a 5 star and that it would be a bad look for the program if Drew was replaced in some fashion...but if it's all about winning games on the field then Beau right now might be the better option...i do see a 1st round talent in there with Drew, but will that QB ever be fully realized in this offense with this HC and OC?

and in big games have u noticed Franklin always seem super quiet, with his arms crossed with little emotion on the sidelines?...like he's playing scared, waiting for bad things to happen but in blowouts or when PSU has the superior talent he will get in people's faces (like walk-ons and first year players with 4 mins left in a game if they make a mistake) and will be energetic...i think the teams sees/senses this and plays tight in big games like the coach...maybe I'm wrong, idk

Last edited:
In a big picture sense, if our downfield/intermediate passing game is not working with Drew then what is the point in playing him instead of Beau, honestly...at least Beau gives u a legit running threat and might still give u similar passing production (which isn't much at the moment anyway)...he fits the read option WAY better than Drew...also if PSU wants to be a ball control offense, well Beau should be better at that as he will constantly be getting 3-6 yard per carry, while also breaking off some 20+ runs and keeping the chains moving...this offense we currently run with Drew is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

i know Drew is a 5 star and that it would be a bad look for the program if Drew was replaced in some fashion...but if it's all about winning games on the field then Beau right now might be the better option...i do see a 1st round talent in there with Drew, but will that QB ever be fully realized in this offense with this HC and OC?

and in big games have u noticed Franklin always seem super quiet, with his arms crossed with little emotion on the sidelines?...like he's playing scared, waiting for bad thigs to happen but in blowouts or when PSU has the superior talent he will get in people's faces (like walk-ons and first year players with 4 mins left in a game if they make a mistake) and will be energetic...i think the teams sees/senses this and plays tight in big games like the coach...maybe I'm wrong, idk
I think the best players aren't the best players every game. Sometimes a good player gets out of whack and a change of pace makes sense.

Of course the same thing applies to play selection. It seemed like we kept doing the same thing over and over and hoped for better results. We didn't roll Allar out to buy time, we didn't throw inside screens to Singleton. We didn't really do anything to get our playmakers in space.

i agree on the rollouts with Drew, that would help, also it seems PSU does little play-action, which for me is one of the best offensive plays to produce chunk plays

• Love
Reactions: rcy4499 and psu00

and in big games have u noticed Franklin always seem super quiet, with his arms crossed with little emotion on the sidelines?...like he's playing scared, waiting for bad thigs to happen but in blowouts or when PSU has the superior talent he will get in people's faces (like walk-ons and first year players with 4 mins left in a game if they make a mistake) and will be energetic...i think the teams sees/senses this and plays tight in big games like the coach...maybe I'm wrong, idk
You hit the nail on the head. The kids are a direct reflection of their leadership. IMO there isn’t a belief within the kids they will win these games. Rather, a hope they will win these games. It’s a direct reflection of Franklins speech and demeanor during these games. It’s Franklins “business approach” to football that is his own worst enemy during these times. It’s complete garbage IMO and a huge disservice to these kids. Franklin should be transitioned into the media director of PSU athletics and away from any “football coach” title/responsibilites or any “coach” title/responsibilities for the remainder of his time with the University. He has a great personality, but there is zero toughness associated with this man. He gets “punched in the nose” during these heavyweight games and his knees go weak and he has no ability to recover. This isn’t a trait that is taught or learned. You either have it or you don’t.

Drew is a pro style QB. Pocket passer who needs to retreat immediately and not mess with the RPO read. Shape your offense around his skill set and stop the RPO. The defense knows he isn’t running. He’s a gunslinger so let him rip it. That’s MYs style as well. It’s malpractice right now. Stop babying the kid. Let him throw Ints. They all do. Manage the game. Screw that. Let MY do that. I’d much rather he go down swinging than the way it is now.

Yep, if PSU doesn't have the WR's to have a successful pocket passing game and Allar is not throwing accurately on the plays that our WR's do manage to get open then the staff needs to put an offense on the field that utilizes the roster to move the football.

And yesterday was an example of what not to do against a very good opponent. Beau could likely have completed just as many or more passes and likely would have gotten a few additional short passes to the RB's and TE's who right now are the best playmaking receivers.

Can't continue to do the same things that are clearly not working against the better teams. It would be idiotic to line up against Michigan with a strategy similar to yesterday's game plan.

Yep, if PSU doesn't have the WR's to have a successful pocket passing game and Allar is not throwing accurately on the plays that our WR's do manage to get open then the staff needs to put an offense on the field that utilizes the roster to move the football.

And yesterday was an example of what not to do against a very good opponent. Beau could likely have completed just as many or more passes and likely would have gotten a few additional short passes to the RB's and TE's who right now are the best playmaking receivers.

Can't continue to do the same things that are clearly not working against the better teams. It would be idiotic to line up against Michigan with a strategy similar to yesterday's game plan.
Get ready same strategy coming against Mich.

Certainly UofM will do what OSU did and take away the run and make our WRs beat them. Not sure that we can.

We need to do the same on Defense.

and in big games have u noticed Franklin always seem super quiet, with his arms crossed with little emotion on the sidelines?...like he's playing scared, waiting for bad things to happen but in blowouts or when PSU has the superior talent he will get in people's faces (like walk-ons and first year players with 4 mins left in a game if they make a mistake) and will be energetic...i think the teams sees/senses this and plays tight in big games like the coach...maybe I'm wrong, idk
They don't need t replace Drew, but I think it would be helpful for Beau to receive a meaningful series each game to keep the defense a little more honest. I would also like to see Drew & Beau together in the backfield with an opportunity for Beau to receive the snap , sprint out with an option t run or pass. Right now the offense is stale and predictable.

In a big picture sense, if our downfield/intermediate passing game is not working with Drew then what is the point in playing him instead of Beau, honestly...at least Beau gives u a legit running threat and might still give u similar passing production (which isn't much at the moment anyway)...he fits the read option WAY better than Drew...
We haven't run the read option since the last four games of 2020.

We haven't run the read option since the last four games of 2020.
Then go under center with our big OL and big RB's and run downhill and do a lot of play-action off of that...would help the running game, OL, and provide more chunk plays off the play-action

Reactions: rcy4499
Get ready same strategy coming against Mich.

Certainly UofM will do what OSU did and take away the run and make our WRs beat them. Not sure that we can.

We need to do the same on Defense.
If the WRs can't get separation standing alone then put them in motion more so they have momentum or bunch formations where they can run legal picks.

Are we supposed to think your post is more important because it's done in bold print? Or are we supposed to think you are screaming at us??

They don't need t replace Drew, but I think it would be helpful for Beau to receive a meaningful series each game to keep the defense a little more honest. I would also like to see Drew & Beau together in the backfield with an opportunity for Beau to receive the snap , sprint out with an option t run or pass. Right now the offense is stale and predictable.
I know what I would be concentrating on at practices this week...deep passes...one after another after another....rotate wide receivers...and then throw deep again and again and again.

you can't run the ball consistently against cover one with the "one" cheating up on every play. Football is not a difficult game....you run the ball until the DBs cheat up then you pass..or you throw the ball until the DBs cheat back and then you run. It sometimes seems like Ihio state knew what we were going to run before we did..on outside screens they had either a DB or dlineman in the throwing lane.

On a different note, has anyone ever seen a d1 qb miss as many passes as badly as Allar did yesterday. I felt bad for the kid. That's not how he has played all year..something was wrong either with his delivery, his understanding of the receiver's routes, the timing...something was really off.

Your post begs the question, why did Penn State recruit Allar knowing he was a pro style quarterback being dropped into an RPO offense?

Your post begs the question, why did Penn State recruit Allar knowing he was a pro style quarterback being dropped into an RPO offense?
Legit question! Either decide what you want to be and recruit to those needs or adapt who you are to the best talent you have to work with.

Then go under center with our big OL and big RB's and run downhill and do a lot of play-action off of that...would help the running game, OL, and provide more chunk plays off the play-action
We run an absurdly passive spread gap blocking scheme by default. This is key to the offensive system. We pass to open the run and when you can't pass...

Legit question! Either decide what you want to be and recruit to those needs or adapt who you are to the best talent you have to work with.
Franklin has completely rejected this approach. He gave a glimpse he would compromise when he hired JoeMo but went away from it as fast as he could. Just accept that Franklin will never win an NCAA championship and will only win a Big Ten title if he backs in based on other team's mistakes like in 2016.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rcy4499 and KCLion
I'd certainly support bringing in Beau in short yardage situations. Especially since we've abandoned the full house backfield for some strange reason.

Reactions: NedFromYork

It's a good question for fans to discuss. Allar really cannot make any plays with his feet. It was funny, maybe 3 times yesterday he stepped out of the pocket and there was no one within 20-25 yards of him -- and he still only ran for 4-5 yards because he runs in slow motion and Ohio State closes so fast. McSorley and Clifford would have gotten first downs on those kinds of plays.

Allar is a very special player but not getting any run production out of the QB -- and not even having any threat from the QB to run -- that's pretty significant negative for the offense.

If PSU had thrown Pribula in, he might have been able to do some things yesterday. I understand why they didn't -- you don't mess with the psyche of your QBs. Plus it was a close game and PSU with one or two miracle plays could have won it.

Reactions: 81b&w
i agree on the rollouts with Drew, that would help, also it seems PSU does little play-action, which for me is one of the best offensive plays to produce chunk plays
He can't throw accurate in the pocket let alone on the run. 12-31.

It's a good question for fans to discuss. Allar really cannot make any plays with his feet. It was funny, maybe 3 times yesterday he stepped out of the pocket and there was no one within 20-25 yards of him -- and he still only ran for 4-5 yards because he runs in slow motion and Ohio State closes so fast. McSorley and Clifford would have gotten first downs on those kinds of plays.

Allar is a very special player but not getting any run production out of the QB -- and not even having any threat from the QB to run -- that's pretty significant negative for the offense.

If PSU had thrown Pribula in, he might have been able to do some things yesterday. I understand why they didn't -- you don't mess with the psyche of your QBs. Plus it was a close game and PSU with one or two miracle plays could have won it.
based on his press conference, I doubt any more could be done to mess with Allar's psyche. They might need a shrink to come to practices this week.

based on his press conference, I doubt any more could be done to mess with Allar's psyche. They might need a shrink to come to practices this week.
That’s passion for the game and his teammates. Nothing more and nothing less. If you haven’t played sports and competed as high levels you wouldn’t understand that. I applaud that young man for showing his emotions. It should happen more frequently!

Drew is a pro style QB. Pocket passer who needs to retreat immediately and not mess with the RPO read. Shape your offense around his skill set and stop the RPO. The defense knows he isn’t running. He’s a gunslinger so let him rip it. That’s MYs style as well. It’s malpractice right now. Stop babying the kid. Let him throw Ints. They all do. Manage the game. Screw that. Let MY do that. I’d much rather he go down swinging than the way it is now.
Yeah why would we want to freeze linebackers and safeties with RPO and give our guys an advantage? You guys are funny.

Yeah why would we want to freeze linebackers and safeties with RPO and give our guys an advantage? You guys are funny.
and how is that going?...in theory you're right, but we don't pass the ball in the middle of the field very much and when we do it's not that successful, so again what's the point with THIS RPO system?...again no QB running threat AND little to no passes in the middle of field where those LB's and safeties should be in conflict.

As expected, the backup QB is suddenly the guy. Two constants on message boards, the coach needs fired and the backup QB is always the guy.
I don't think that's what folks are saying, and least not me. From my perspective it was clear that on saturday Drew was "suffering"...bad passes, not on same page with his receivers, rushed, stressed or whatever. From my experience, it made sense to try a change of pace for a series or two jut to let Drew settle down somewhat. It was clear that he was really struggling in this game. To me it's like your star pitcher in a key game...he walks the first five batters, the manager talks to him on the mound and goes back to the dugout. Same pitcher walks the next five batters....obviously the pitcher is having problems...do you keep him in the game? Star Basketball player, 25 point average, throws up bricks for 2 quarters, do you sit him for a little while? I don't know why football is any different. The kid was really struggling, I felt bad for him and as things kept getting worse it seemed clear that he was overstressed.

Damn I am stunned that it took so long for the first post calling to play the back up QB after the starter’s first loss in his 7th start on the road against a top 5 team. 71 years old and season tickets since 1978 and the back up QB has been the most popular player on the team for as long as I can remember. Surprised you didn’t suggest that they ought to alternate Drew and Beau every other play. Allar was plain bad on Saturday no question but too early to throw him under the bus.

Reactions: Jerry
I don't think that's what folks are saying, and least not me. From my perspective it was clear that on saturday Drew was "suffering"...bad passes, not on same page with his receivers, rushed, stressed or whatever. From my experience, it made sense to try a change of pace for a series or two jut to let Drew settle down somewhat. It was clear that he was really struggling in this game. To me it's like your star pitcher in a key game...he walks the first five batters, the manager talks to him on the mound and goes back to the dugout. Same pitcher walks the next five batters....obviously the pitcher is having problems...do you keep him in the game? Star Basketball player, 25 point average, throws up bricks for 2 quarters, do you sit him for a little while? I don't know why football is any different. The kid was really struggling, I felt bad for him and as things kept getting worse it seemed clear that he was overstressed.
Can you chronicle your “experience” for us. Asking for a friend. The difference is that in baseball few pitchers throw complete games and in basketball no one I know plays the entire game.

Yeah maybe they could try a triple reverse and double lateral flea flicker. Yeah that’s the ticket.

Damn I am stunned that it took so long for the first post calling to play the back up QB after the starter’s first loss in his 7th start on the road against a top 5 team. 71 years old and season tickets since 1978 and the back up QB has been the most popular player on the team for as long as I can remember. Surprised you didn’t suggest that they ought to alternate Drew and Beau every other play. Allar was plain bad on Saturday no question but too early to throw him under the bus.
ok...but how PSU WANTS to play on offense i really think Beau might be the better option RIGHT NOW, not maybe long-term or overall talent...but the passing game and QB has actually regressed from the start of the season...that's a very bad sign and not something that should be laughed off...and i guarantee u that if Beau was playing the running game would open up a lot, which hasn't happened with Drew also

Give me Allar's attitude all day. Especially when you have primadonnas like Caleb WIlliams out there. Compare what you saw from Allar postgame to WIlliams' body language and sitting alone on the bench late in the game against Utah.

Reactions: tlbakernc
As expected, the backup QB is suddenly the guy. Two constants on message boards, the coach needs fired and the backup QB is always the guy.

I understand the frustration, but there is zero chance of Pribula's elevation to starter at this juncture, and honestly, such a move by Franklin would be crazy. Talk about blowing up the season in panic.

That said, it was predictable as the sunset that some fans would agitate for this after Drew's sub-par (but not surprising) performance on Saturday.

In fact, here's what I wrote here in a post on August 9, three weeks before the start of the season when some people were already nominating Drew for a Heisman:

>>As for Allar, I think Heisman predictions are ridiculous...Instant superstardom is a hard status to achieve at this level of football. Drew's gonna need a little time...Unfortunately, the Penn State fan base is not noted for patience or realism. First bad game the kid has, the usual suspects will be screaming for Pribula.<<

I know what I would be concentrating on at practices this week...deep passes...one after another after another....rotate wide receivers...and then throw deep again and again and again.

you can't run the ball consistently against cover one with the "one" cheating up on every play. Football is not a difficult game....you run the ball until the DBs cheat up then you pass..or you throw the ball until the DBs cheat back and then you run. It sometimes seems like Ihio state knew what we were going to run before we did..on outside screens they had either a DB or dlineman in the throwing lane.

On a different note, has anyone ever seen a d1 qb miss as many passes as badly as Allar did yesterday. I felt bad for the kid. That's not how he has played all year..something was wrong either with his delivery, his understanding of the receiver's routes, the timing...something was really off.
Re your different note. Yes - the QB that started the season for Pitt!

The OC needs to get it together. I thought this guy was innovative and had teams that were offensive forces. This team has no explosion- you could see it all year which is why this was expected. If you can't or won't throw downfield, it all gets jammed up. This team is always lacking something, and in this case its receivers. But enough already. They should have been working on this the first six games.

I understand the frustration, but there is zero chance of Pribula's elevation to starter at this juncture, and honestly, such a move by Franklin would be crazy. Talk about blowing up the season in panic.

That said, it was predictable as the sunset that some fans would agitate for this after Drew's sub-par (but not surprising) performance on Saturday.

In fact, here's what I wrote here in a post on August 9, three weeks before the start of the season when some people were already nominating Drew for a Heisman:

>>As for Allar, I think Heisman predictions are ridiculous...Instant superstardom is a hard status to achieve at this level of football. Drew's gonna need a little time...Unfortunately, the Penn State fan base is not noted for patience or realism. First bad game the kid has, the usual suspects will be screaming for Pribula.<<
i understand your point, and i agree Beau will not get a chance to start or play meaningful snaps this year and maybe that is the right decision, especially long term but the thing with Drew and the passing offense is that its regressing as the season progresses...if i'm just going with my gut and honestly saying what i think would make the offense run better right now in the short term, it might be Beau

It's one thing to utilize the RPO in regards to whether Allar should hand off or throw a quick pass, that can still be in play. However, leaving Allar the option to hand off or take it himself is ridiculous. And this isn't rocket science, any skilled team is going to crash its D-End on the dangerous RB and let Allar chug for 5 or so yards while its LB or safety comes up to make the play...

I wasn't surprised in the least that OSU was able to shut down our passing game, while their D is not elite, they have good enough athletes to shut our WRs down in man coverage. However, what I was surprised with, was the strategy we employed. While in years past, our mantra had always been chunk plays, I thought Franklin understood this team doesn't have that in them. I was actually happy with the Iowa performance since it seemed that Franklin understood the lack of WR talent, and realized the way to win was to possess the ball and move the chains.

Well, that belief lasted all of one play, and then we passed on 2nd and 4...We are on the road, possess the ball, move chains, make it a field position game where one mistake can lead to a win. Instead, we kept trying to do things that we haven't done consistently all year, and this time against superior talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT