ADVERTISEMENT

LBer change today?

nittanyfan333

Aug 30, 2010
Watching BTN tailgate and saw on the bottom line that Brandon smith is starting in place of manny Bowen. Nothing about injury or suspension. Anyone hear anything to validate this, or a reason behind it?

Watching BTN tailgate and saw on the bottom line that Brandon smith is starting in place of manny Bowen. Nothing about injury or suspension. Anyone hear anything to validate this, or a reason behind it?
No reason given but Bowen will not play today.

Rutgers likes to run the ball and Smith is strong against the run. We will be OK. No injuries please.

Wow, like PSU needs more injuries (assuming it's an injury).

Smith playing outside or is he playing MLB with Cabinda shifting outside?
Cam Brown?
More Jarvis Miller?

Does anyone else remember that Brandon Smith is the only roster LB to have been taught by Vanderlinden? It was only one year, but BS's sound positional play is easily explainable.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Joe is dead. He's not coming back.

Don't tell him that. He'll find a way to say if Franklin/JoeMo were as smart as Joe/Jay, they'd move Smith to FB and fix our running woes.

I don't normally call posters out, but you are a complete moron. The post was about Ron Vanderlinden as a LB coach, you turn it into another attack on the Paternos. I've never met you, nor do I have any idea who you are, but I still feel confident in saying you are a disgusting person. Makes me very happy that I've never met you, nor have any idea who you are.

I don't normally call posters out, but you are a complete moron. The post was about Ron Vanderlinden as a LB coach, you turn it into another attack on the Paternos. I've never met you, nor do I have any idea who you are, but I still feel confident in saying you are a disgusting person. Makes me very happy that I've never met you, nor have any idea who you are.

That's great. Let me check to see if I care....

No, in fact, I don't care. Now continue on with your day.

Who else do we have next year? Farmer, Brown, and some RS freshmen.

Also Miller. I'm surprised he has not played more.

I suspect Bowen will be back as well.....

If you read some of the comments by CJF, he loves the ability of Brown to play both OLB positions. The kid will be another 10 lbs stronger for 2018 and I look for him to start next year, regardless of who comes back. There will be at least one starting LB spot open (MLB) so even if Bowen and Farmer both return I look for Brown to start and Bowen to move to MLB, with the RS or true Freshmen backing up at MLB. If Bowen moves on, it will sure be interesting to see who starts at MLB.

Cooper played some today and looked to me to be the same slow LB that misses lots of tackles. From the lack of production he showed this year, I'm now betting he does not return for 2018. Jan Johnson also played some today. He could end up as the backup MLB in 2018. It all depends upon how the RS freshmen progress.........

If you read some of the comments by CJF, he loves the ability of Brown to play both OLB positions. The kid will be another 10 lbs stronger for 2018 and I look for him to start next year, regardless of who comes back. There will be at least one starting LB spot open (MLB) so even if Bowen and Farmer both return I look for Brown to start and Bowen to move to MLB, with the RS or true Freshmen backing up at MLB. If Bowen moves on, it will sure be interesting to see who starts at MLB.

Cooper played some today and looked to me to be the same slow LB that misses lots of tackles. From the lack of production he showed this year, I'm now betting he does not return for 2018. Jan Johnson also played some today. He could end up as the backup MLB in 2018. It all depends upon how the RS freshmen progress.........
Cooper is a Jr. I would think he will be back.

Cooper is a Jr. I would think he will be back.

Yes he is, a true Junior as listed on the GOPSUSPORTS web site. And he has a year of eligibility left. But there will be more than a few Junior (reshirts Juniors and true Juniors in 2017) that will not be back, because that is what it is going to take to get under the 85 scholarship limit when CJF signs 25 players in the 2018 class. And since Cooper has not been able to make even the 2 deep in his 3rd year, I don't see how it can be better than 50/50 that he comes back.....

Depth Chart for today's game:

Will Linebacker
43 Manny Bowen (6-1, 226, Jr./Jr.)
6 Cam Brown (6-5, 227, So./So.)

Middle Linebacker
40 Jason Cabinda (6-1, 234, Sr./Sr.)
47 Brandon Smith (6-0, 231, Gr./Sr.)

Sam Linebacker
7 Koa Farmer (6-1, 237, Sr./Jr.)
9 Jarvis Miller (6-2, 222, Jr./So.)

I have been HOPING that Cooper could progress and be a legit candidate to start at MLB in 2018. But he has not shown much. And when I've suggested that since Pry made a few positive comments last spring when Cooper was finally healthy that he may be a surprise this year and into 2018, some made fun of my HOPE.....

Probably rightly so. At the company I worked at before retiring there was a saying:
"Hope is not a business strategy".....

Last edited:
Yes he is, a true Junior as listed on the GOPSUSPORTS web site. And he has a year of eligibility left. But there will be more than a few Junior (reshirts Juniors and true Juniors in 2017) that will not be back, because that is what it is going to take to get under the 85 scholarship limit when CJF signs 25 players in the 2018 class. And since Cooper has not been able to make even the 2 deep in his 3rd year, I don't see how it can be better than 50/50 that he comes back.....

Depth Chart for today's game:

Will Linebacker
43 Manny Bowen (6-1, 226, Jr./Jr.)
6 Cam Brown (6-5, 227, So./So.)

Middle Linebacker
40 Jason Cabinda (6-1, 234, Sr./Sr.)
47 Brandon Smith (6-0, 231, Gr./Sr.)

Sam Linebacker
7 Koa Farmer (6-1, 237, Sr./Jr.)
9 Jarvis Miller (6-2, 222, Jr./So.)

I have been HOPING that Cooper could progress and be a legit candidate to start at MLB in 2018. But he has not shown much. And when I've suggested that since Pry made a few positive comments last spring when Cooper was finally healthy that he may be a surprise this year and into 2018, some made fun of my HOPE.....

Probably rightly so. At the company I worked at before retiring there was a saying:
"Hope is not a business strategy".....
So you want them to process him. That's all you needed to say Greg.

So you want them to process him. That's all you needed to say Greg.

That what you are saying. Not me.

If he can't crack the 2 deep this year, and with all the redshirt and true freshmen LB's coming in to compete. He may CHOOSE to move on. With his degree. Or he may CHOOSE to stay. We won't know for some time.

That what you are saying. Not me.

If he can't crack the 2 deep this year, and with all the redshirt and true freshmen LB's coming in to compete. He may CHOOSE to move on. With his degree. Or he may CHOOSE to stay. We won't know for some time.
I HOPE he gets his degree. I also hope he CHOOSES to stay.

Brown’s biggest problem is not his weight, it’s that he is undisciplined on the field and gets caught out of position.

He played a good game today. He just does not have the speed to play outside.

There is a large drop off from Bowen to Smith. BS does not have the speed to play against the better teams. Thought the Twitter news was Bowen injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT