ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

thanks for the link!

so i would assume that they didnt provide any actual insight to the reasons he may be leaving PSU?

Good read. A correction is the article states if PSU were to give Nick his release he could wrestle immediately for Rutgers.

Reactions: cypherb
Hope the kid realizes how good things are for him here and does return. I actually spoke to him at the banquet last year and he seemed all in at that time.. Not sure what has changed.. regardless at this point I would just like it to resolve.. of all the news to have to read about daily during this down time, this is not the type I was hoping for..

Reactions: psualt
As always, thank you for linking my posts here. I wouldn't do it myself even though I'm thirsty.

There was zero insight into the reason for possibly wanting to leave PSU. I think the talk about the injury is BS, not sure how PSU/Nick could have handled it differently. Nick would want every chance to compete. I don't believe it is the weight class either, if Nick does not want to wrestle 125, then don't get certified for 125, pretty easy to do, hit the weights and McDonalds.

I wonder if this is about scholarship money? He got hurt and 2 freshmen win national championships, did that have an effect on his scholarship aid for 17/18?

If Nick is not wrestling for PSU in 17/18, he is not wrestling. No way PSU gives him a release, Cortez lost a year to come to PSU from Illinois. Also, with Ohio State loading up, no Suriano at Rutgers gives a better chance for the PSU wrestler to finish one spot higher on the podium at B1G's and NCAA's (admittedly, no idea who that is).

Also at this point, it has to be getting difficult to transfer for the fall, schools have deadlines and other programs have probably allocated most of their scholarship dollars for 17/18.

How much would it cost the Suriano's to sue the B1G to get the lost year of eligibility restored if he transferred? The transfer rules are clear.

If he really wants to be at Rutgers, transfer there and sit out 17/18 with 2 years of eligibility left.

Article says: "...For 2019 Penn State is pursuing current No. 1 at 106 pounds, Kurt McHenry..."

However, didn't No. 10 (at one point FLO No. 2) A. Busielo (NY 3x State Champ) verbally commit quite a while ago? Yes, he'll just be a junior this year, and there's nothing binding with a "verbal", and a lot could happen between now and then...

The only thing with the injury and I mentioned this before.. perhaps they don't like that he was NOT allowed to go at nationals. Maybe they (he and his dad) felt he was fit enough and are angry Cael held him out. If so and if he leaves for that reason, for a coach actually looking out for the kids welfare OVER the teams welfare, that is really short sighted...

Article says: "...For 2019 Penn State is pursuing current No. 1 at 106 pounds, Kurt McHenry..."

However, didn't No. 10 (at one point FLO No. 2) A. Busielo (NY 3x State Champ) verbally commit quite a while ago? Yes, he'll just be a junior this year, and there's nothing binding with a "verbal", and a lot could happen between now and then...

I think Busiello is outgrowing that weight. Flo is projecting him to 141 in college now.

Every time I see Busiello discussed, it seems like he's being projected at 141, so that's probably why.

Also, with Ohio State loading up, no Suriano at Rutgers gives a better chance for the PSU wrestler to finish one spot higher on the podium at B1G's and NCAA's (admittedly, no idea who that is).

I disagree. If he's going to a non-contending team in a weight class where we're almost certain to run out a non-placer it benefits us if Nick can potentially knock a contending wrestler on a contending team, e.g., Tomasello, down a place.

I assume PSU can impose conditions on a release as we've read about for others. I would think tOSU and Iowa would be firmly on the prohibited list, and the latter is a non-issue for '18.

There was zero insight into the reason for possibly wanting to leave PSU. I think the talk about the injury is BS, not sure how PSU/Nick could have handled it differently. Nick would want every chance to compete. I don't believe it is the weight class either, if Nick does not want to wrestle 125, then don't get certified for 125, pretty easy to do, hit the weights and McDonalds.

I wonder if this is about scholarship money? He got hurt and 2 freshmen win national championships, did that have an effect on his scholarship aid for 17/18?

If Nick is not wrestling for PSU in 17/18, he is not wrestling. No way PSU gives him a release, Cortez lost a year to come to PSU from Illinois. Also, with Ohio State loading up, no Suriano at Rutgers gives a better chance for the PSU wrestler to finish one spot higher on the podium at B1G's and NCAA's (admittedly, no idea who that is).

Also at this point, it has to be getting difficult to transfer for the fall, schools have deadlines and other programs have probably allocated most of their scholarship dollars for 17/18.

How much would it cost the Suriano's to sue the B1G to get the lost year of eligibility restored if he transferred? The transfer rules are clear.

If he really wants to be at Rutgers, transfer there and sit out 17/18 with 2 years of eligibility left.
Nick and his parents are smart. They will work things out with Cael and the staff. They know how good Nick has it at PSU. Great teammates, education, partners, and best staff in the world !

Since it came up on FRL and since the article above gets it wrong as well, I'm going to try and find an easier way to explain the rules.

There are two distinct transfer restrictions implicated if Suriano were to leave Penn State for Rutgers, the NCAA's rules and the B1G intra-conference rules.

The risk to violating the NCAA restrictions concerns loss of scholarship money.

The risk to violating the B1G intra-conference restrictions concerns loss of one year of competition eligibility.

Only the NCAA transfer restriction (re scholarship money) can be waived by the current school. Specifically, the dance goes like so: (1) student wishing to transfer goes to present school and requests permission to contact letter for school he'd like to transfer to; (2) student works out deal with new school; (3) present school issues release. Scholarship money is preserved. Simply leaving school 1 for school 2 without doing that dance will result in a loss of athletic scholarship money for the following year.

The B1G intra-conference transfer restriction (loss of one year competition eligibility) can't be waived by the present school. Releases that have come with respect to this rule concern not-yet-matriculated students--students who have signed their LOI but not yet attended a class. But for matriculated students, like Suriano, there's no provision for a release, the rule is automatic and unambiguous.

I imagine, without evidence other than inferring from the Micic situation, that the present school could cooperate with a petition by the transferring student to waive the B1G restriction (but ultimately the decision would be in the B1G's hands). But I also imagine that the B1G is going to want you have to have a damn good reason, probably amounting to the student being unfairly prejudiced by the rule due to circumstances beyond that student's control. I've no idea what a successful waiver petition would look like, except to infer from Micic's circumstances what makes sense.

I defer to @RoarLions1 on my interpretation of any of the above, but I read it through and it seems pretty straightforward. But the confusion everyone is having is due to the two distinct restrictions by two overlapping bodies.

Not much "new" news in either article or FRL, except Cael's to NJ.

The other thing mentioned in FRL but not in article was Suriano's unhappiness with the Strength Program/ Coach. I had not heard that listed as a reason before.

The other thing mentioned in FRL but not in article was Suriano's unhappiness with the Strength Program/ Coach. I had not heard that listed as a reason before.

John Thomas came back ........... :)

Without Nick Penn State is scoring 0 points at 125. If Nick is wrestling 125 for Rutgers he possibly finishes higher than whoever the Nature Nuts wrestle at 125, taking points away from Nuts.
Penn State granting him a release has no direct impact concerning Big10 transfer rules within the Big10. If an NCAA release has an indirect impact on the Big10's appeal consideration is something I do not know.

The issue is not the injury, nor MMA fighting.

The only thing with the injury and I mentioned this before.. perhaps they don't like that he was NOT allowed to go at nationals. Maybe they (he and his dad) felt he was fit enough and are angry Cael held him out. If so and if he leaves for that reason, for a coach actually looking out for the kids welfare OVER the teams welfare, that is really short sighted...
Not anything to do with the injury.

Without Nick Penn State is scoring 0 points at 125. If Nick is wrestling 125 for Rutgers he possibly finishes higher than whoever the Nature Nuts wrestle at 125, taking points away from Nuts.
Penn State granting him a release has no direct impact concerning Big10 transfer rules within the Big10. If an NCAA release has an indirect impact on the Big10's appeal consideration is something I do not know.

The issue is not the injury, nor MMA fighting.
Do you know what it is about?

The PSU wrestlers do not lack for strength. Also, per Zain, Nick is the strongest person he has wrestled. Nick is plenty strong and does not need to worry about getting significantly stronger. Much like Barkley on the football team.

If Nick wants too and it is a big issue, he could probably work with Dwight Galt the football S&C coach.

What is it in regards to? I just can't imagine something being unsolvable enough to leave this team for an inferior situation in nearly every respect except proximity to home.

The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to wrestle 125. He may want to go 133 and PSU brought in Keener for that weight. That may be why the family's upset. Pure speculation on my part.

The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to wrestle 125. He may want to go 133 and PSU brought in Keener for that weight. That may be why the family's upset. Pure speculation on my part.
Certainly possible but boy if that is the issue, seems even more nuts that the two sides couldn't come to a conclusion.. besides if Nick would come in and not make 25, would the coaches really sit him rather than bump him to 33? regardless of Keener. I doubt that and so really Nick to a degree controls that situation...

Reactions: Dogwelder

Yeah don't give him a release! Lol you're ridiculous. Do right by the kid.

Sounds like things are just F** F** F** at PSU!!!

Reactions: usarmyret2011

Name one wrestler who transferred within the B1G that didn't lose a year of eligibility since the B1G rule was instituted not named Micic. Please, go ahead.

Last edited:
Certainly possible but boy if that is the issue, seems even more nuts that the two sides couldn't come to a conclusion.. besides if Nick would come in and not make 25, would the coaches really sit him rather than bump him to 33? regardless of Keener. I doubt that and so really Nick to a degree controls that situation...
No one has a right to wrestle 133, or any weight. You work it out in the room. And I can't imagine coaches making promises otherwise. I remember an interview with Cael saying that, essentially, Zain decides where he wrestles, because he'll win any wrestle off. Then Jason does, then Bo and so on. Anyone have a link to that interview?

You are the one who is ridiculous. Why would you give him a release to go to a competitor rival school that you will compete against every year. It is quite common in football and basketball to put stipulations on the schools an athlete can transfer too.

In case you missed it, at this point in time, Rutgers most likely has allocated their scholarship money for 17 and 18, probably making a release a moot point. That is Suriano is probably paying his own way too Rutgers for 17/18 if he transferred there.

Would Iowa give Spencer Lee a release if he decided to transfer to PSU, Ohio State or Oklahoma State, doubt it. How about a release to Iowa State, doubt it.

No one has a right to wrestle 133, or any weight. You work it out in the room. And I can't imagine coaches making promises otherwise. I remember an interview with Cael saying that, essentially, Zain decides where he wrestles, because he'll win any wrestle off. Then Jason does, then Bo and so on. Anyone have a link to that interview?
Your right to some to a degree, you are not wrestling if Cael says no. That being said, if Suriano cannot make 125 then Cael is not holding him out of the lineup for Keener at 133.

Of course if the weight class is the issue, Suriano does not get certified at 125 much like Bo last year. He hits the weights and McDonalds and bye bye 125 certification. Nick does control that.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If he doesn't want to be there, let him go. This decision could cost the team a national title, but you can't force a kid to stay. If he leaves, some day he'll realize how good it could've been. It's like when Kolat left for Lock Haven. Today Kolat says in hindsight that situation could've been handled differently.

P.S. Should they re-open the "Don't Shoot the Messenger" thread??

Would be the dumbest transfer in all of collegiate sports. It would be like Ohio states starting x in football going to Miami of Ohio. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Your right to some to a degree, you are not wrestling if Cael says no. That being said, if Suriano cannot make 125 then Cael is not holding him out of the lineup for Keener at 133.

Of course if the weight class is the issue, Suriano does not get certified at 125 much like Bo last year. He hits the weights and McDonalds and bye bye 125 certification. Nick does control that.
This is exactly my point.. not sure I said anyone had a right to a certain weight.. not sure where that came from..

What is it in regards to? I just can't imagine something being unsolvable enough to leave this team for an inferior situation in nearly every respect except proximity to home.

Only 1 thing ever explains such lunacy:

59042_Moetley-Cruee-girls-girls-girls.jpg

Before anyone gets ticked at me, I don't really believe that is the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT