ADVERTISEMENT

Latest in Paterno v NCAA

I wonder what peetz would say about the football program now that she helped fix everything. They play in the same stadium with huge crowds, you still have high-profile recruiting, lucrative TV deals, bowl games. What's changed exactly since 2011? Oh, I know. The coach now makes more than four times what Joe did.

Yeah, there was a real culture problem, and peetz et al. fixed it.

Also, the points about confidentiality over governance and the ncaa threatening the death penalty can't be broadcast enough. Those are storylines that the media should run with.
In the video posted by Wendy, Peetz harkens back to her undergrad days and recalls how important football was to the university and bringing people together.

Peetz…Peetz…Ah, yes…Karen Peetz! Now there’s a name from the past. I had forgotten all about her…in about 2014, IIRC.

To anyone who took the time to read it, it was clear that the Freeh Report was a dishonest enterprise from the get-go. Many of us looked deeper, but really…wasn’t “We didn’t talk to anybody who knew anything…but we promise... the findings contained in this report represent a fair, objective and comprehensive analysis of facts” pretty much all we needed to know? (For those who enjoy good comedy, this passage was in the “Independence of the Investigation” section.) And Peetz’s paw prints are all over this flaming sack of coverup, like an off-duty FBI agent on a lonely road in Vermont:

“‘It is sufficient to say that the investigation concluded that certain people at the university who were in a position to protect children or confront the predator failed to do so,’ Ms. Peetz said at the [trustees’] meeting. ‘What the report also concluded was that the Board of Trustees failed to provide proper oversight of the university.’” (Translation: “We knew….nussssing!”) “At the same time, [Peetz] said the board wouldn’t do a detailed analysis of Freeh’s scathing report, which concluded that [Paterno] and three other school officials concealed child molestation allegations against [Sandusky]. (cbsnews.com, 9/14/12)

At the September 2012 board meeting, Penn State supporter Patty Kirschner asked why the board is moving ahead with recommendations from former FBI Director Louis Freeh’s report without determining its validity and asked if the board would consider any independent reviews of that report. “When Kirschner continued to push for an outside review of the Freeh Report’s validity, [Peetz] cut her off by telling her her time was up. Audience members laughed and offered sarcastic applause.” (pennlive.com, updated 9/15/12)

“In a press conference following the Nov. 16th BoT meeting, Karen said the board would look into the existence of the Freeh contract documents. She said she did not have much information in this area because she ‘wasn’t directly responsible for hiring him. It was not something the board signed on.’” (notpsu.blogspot.com, 11/30/12) Peetz, of course, was a (napping, presumably) member of the Task Force that hired Freeh.

It's not like she had an agenda or anything:

“John Surma was on the BNYM Board of Directors until he abruptly resigned in April 2012. As Karen is an Executive, she reported to that same Board on which Surma once sat.” (notpsu.blogspot.com, 11/30/12)

And my personal favorite:

Pete Curkendall, former Penn State defensive tackle, posted this on Facebook: “Karen Peetz (sic) son (in front of her and her husband) told a former teammate of mine that JoePa had to be involved with the disappearance of DA Gricar. She and her cronies are not only delusional but have lived off the integrity of others for years. They are nothing more than parasites. This was stated right before they took the statue down.” (facebook.com, 10/18/13)

McAndrew Board rock star Frank Sheeran recently reminded us (Peetz being that distant memory and all), that in 2013, the Pearled One was the driving force behind the near-miss hiring of “Double-Dipping David” Smith to wallow in the pre-existing stench of the President’s office. Thank goodness, huh? Meet Eric Barron! (Doctor: “Good news: You don’t have cancer. Bad news; You've got malaria.”) As Stink might say: "Remember, you can't say 'fiduciary' without....."

So, she’s gone. But no….not quite forgotten, I’m afraid. Please have a seat back at the table, Ms. Peetz. Anthony Lubrano noted an hour or so ago that “Peetz believed PSU had a culture problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.” I suggest that PSU has had a Peetz problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.

Bet she was a dirty player, too.

SR/BHF

The discussions between PSU and the NCAA that resulted in the Consent Decree were largely limited to Erickson, Peetz Masser, Marsh, Dunham and Guadagnino. The Executive Committee was not immediately informed.

The Legal Subcommittee, Chaired by Ira Lubert, played no role in the CD. They were not involved at all.

The NCAA threatened PSU with the Death Penalty should the discussions leak.

Erickson and Masser both chose confidentiality over governance.

Peetz believed PSU had a culture problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.

The consent decree was merely the culmination of the bot's strategy. I dare say its almost irrelevant compared to the damage the entire bot had been doing, the final product of which was the freeh debacle. Without all the groundwork the other parties had done, the consent decree never happens. Who sent Lanny Davis to a funeral to speak ill of the dead? Who was telling Freeh what to attack? Who was telling Freeh to do the NCAA's bidding? Who was boasting about Freeh's work? Who was throwing money around without proper vetting procedures? Etc. Etc. I've never seen such malicious and idiotic tactics by people supposedly out to protect the university. Just because a few individuals didn't officially help craft the consent decree doesn't mean they did not have a substantial role in it. I might add they didn't just stop after the consent decree, they continued to attack the university, continued to do the NCAA's dirty work, and convinced all of you to vote for a second consent decree with Corman when total victory was in sight. Sigh, any root cause analysis would show the original consent decree was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, and that more than just a select few were responsible for it. I don't mean to rant at your info, even though I just did, but I think everyone responsible for this debacle deserves to have their role(s) highlighted.

Agree 100% that Penn State should have secured counsel upon receipt of the letter from the NCAA.

Marsh stated "I don't think anyone in May 2016 thinks the NCAA's involvement in that [case] was wise or necessary," ---"In issues where there are so many other avenues of redress -- criminal, civil, Department of Education -- the NCAA does not need to be the policeman of the world in matters that involve athletics," Marsh said. "Organizations can learn from their mistakes. Just because it happened one time doesn't mean they're bound to bumble forth again."

I think that reflects more on the NCAA course of action in retrospect with Penn State than the reaction of Penn State. If you review Marsh's deposition it's pretty clear that at that time he felt Penn State did the correct thing and he so advised Penn State. It's equally clear that the NCAA stepped in it once and doesn't want that stink a second time around.

Had the litigation with Penn State not occurred then Baylor would be in the same cross hairs today IMO.
Once all of your "mates" have deserted you - are you still the CIRCLE-Jerk King? Or, just the DOT-Jerk King?

:)

The consent decree was merely the culmination of the bot's strategy. I dare say its almost irrelevant compared to the damage the entire bot had been doing, the final product of which was the freeh debacle. Without all the groundwork the other parties had done, the consent decree never happens. Who sent Lanny Davis to a funeral to speak ill of the dead? Who was telling Freeh what to attack? Who was telling Freeh to do the NCAA's bidding? Who was boasting about Freeh's work? Who was throwing money around without proper vetting procedures? Etc. Etc. I've never seen such malicious and idiotic tactics by people supposedly out to protect the university. Just because a few individuals didn't officially help craft the consent decree doesn't mean they did not have a substantial role in it. I might add they didn't just stop after the consent decree, they continued to attack the university, continued to do the NCAA's dirty work, and convinced all of you to vote for a second consent decree with Corman when total victory was in sight. Sigh, any root cause analysis would show the original consent decree was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, and that more than just a select few were responsible for it. I don't mean to rant at your info, even though I just did, but I think everyone responsible for this debacle deserves to have their role(s) highlighted.
^^^. Bing-Freaking-O. ^^^

Reactions: LionFanStill

Who rented the plane?

Nice synopsis. Those responsible deserve FAR more than having their roles highlighted but, it is a good start!

Yeah, Who rented that ****ing airplane?

Who came up with the " just move on strategy"?

Which of them publicly stood in judgement of others with their public remarks?

Which ones actually tried to sound convincing about their care and regard for innocent children?

Shameless shameless shameless.

So, she’s gone. But no….not quite forgotten, I’m afraid. Please have a seat back at the table, Ms. Peetz. Anthony Lubrano noted an hour or so ago that “Peetz believed PSU had a culture problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.” I suggest that PSU has had a Peetz problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.

Bet she was a dirty player, too
SR/BHF

The dirty field hockey players were the girls from Chester and Interboro. Karen's a Springfield gal!

Peetz failed to notice Freeh was advancing the ball with his foot and the high-sticking going on all around her. Perhaps Karen's problem was she assumed Freeh & the NCAA would play by the rules.

Hahahaahaa - that's what you get Karen when you wear those pearls out on the playing field.

Clotheslined.

I have so much material with which to work thanks to all of you.

No question that the BOT needed Freeh to affirm for them their decisions in Nov, 2011. Freeh understood this. He also understood the needs of the NCAA and the Big10. Consequently, the outcome of his "Report" was a foregone conclusion.

Lanny Davis orchestrated the PR initially. Damn the four. They've already been tarred and feathered by the media and cannot be saved. So let's save ourselves.

In the end, Louie Freeh was a money grabbing, PR hungry person.

And Penn State's "leaders" were feckless.

I have so much material with which to work thanks to all of you.

No question that the BOT needed Freeh to affirm for them their decisions in Nov, 2011. Freeh understood this. He also understood the needs of the NCAA and the Big10. Consequently, the outcome of his "Report" was a foregone conclusion.

Lanny Davis orchestrated the PR initially. Damn the four. They've already been tarred and feathered by the media and cannot be saved. So let's save ourselves.

In the end, Louie Freeh was a money grabbing, PR hungry person.

And Penn State's "leaders" were feckless.
"Feckless". I'm gonna' have to steal that one - for those days when I want to be nice......... I may not use it for a while. :)

If you ever wondered how big a liar Corbutt and his Press Secretary, Kevin Harley, are, just read THIS ARTICLE published in the first days after the Staged Presentment and Indictment....not only is it chock-full of lies, but it leads off with one:

So when the Penn State case landed in Mr. Corbett’s lap in 2009, he did not hesitate, colleagues say, pressing forward on the investigation even as he ran for governor. Clinton County high school officials had reported charges to the local district attorney that Mr. Sandusky had molested a boy there, but, citing a conflict of interest, the prosecutor passed it on to the attorney general’s office to investigate.

First of all, V1 - Aaron Fisher, and his mother BOTH say that Central Mountain High School refused to take his CSA Report or call police in violation of School Policy and the law....Aaron Fisher and him Mother then went directly to Clinton County CYS Office to make their report. Beyond that, it is laughable to claim Corbett didn't "hesitate" in 2009 after receiving the DPW's Report on 3/3/2009 -- all he did was hesitate as confirmed by AGA Eshback's own e-mails. Corbett sat on the DPW "Indicated" Report for two months before submitting a completely UNNECESSARY request for an ILLEGITIMATE SWIGJ via a clearly mis-plead SWIGJ Application that did not include the REQUISITE SUBJECT-MATTER BASIS for a SWIGJ.

Reading this article knowing what we now know makes it quite clear that Corbutt not only engineered this thing, but also engineered the PR coverage of the Presentment with scripted lines that do not line up with REALITY from himself, his Press Secretary (Harley), his political consultant (Brabender), his Chief of PSP (Noonan), etc.....

Make her pick her specific restroom and stick to it.
I have to admit, I was surprised to read some article about her that had a family picture with offspring. They didn't look like they were purchased from an orphanage in Africa or Asia either.

I have to admit, I was surprised to read some article about her that had a family picture with offspring. They didn't look like they were purchased from an orphanage in Africa or Asia either.
Or some distant planet?

th

The discussions between PSU and the NCAA that resulted in the Consent Decree were largely limited to Erickson, Peetz Masser, Marsh, Dunham and Guadagnino. The Executive Committee was not immediately informed.

The Legal Subcommittee, Chaired by Ira Lubert, played no role in the CD. They were not involved at all.

The NCAA threatened PSU with the Death Penalty should the discussions leak.

Erickson and Masser both chose confidentiality over governance.

Peetz believed PSU had a culture problem dating back to her days as a field hockey player.
The revenue from the football program made it possible for her to play field hockey.

Prez Spanier loaded up the B&I trustee group with very wealthy people whose sole purpose was to give money and to be rewarded for it by the perks of a board seat. This strategy would have worked well if a major crisis had not hit. Once a crisis did hit, they had no interest in protecting Penn State, they simply wanted to make sure none of the ensuing stink rubbed off on them or their companies.

Prez Spanier loaded up the B&I trustee group with very wealthy people whose sole purpose was to give money and to be rewarded for it by the perks of a board seat. This strategy would have worked well if a major crisis had not hit. Once a crisis did hit, they had no interest in protecting Penn State, they simply wanted to make sure none of the ensuing stink rubbed off on them or their companies.
Spanier probably knows where a lot of skeletons are decomposing then. His lawsuit could get very interesting once the paperwork portion is finalized.

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
First of all, V1 - Aaron Fisher, and his mother BOTH say that Central Mountain High School refused to take his CSA Report or call police in violation of School Policy and the law....Aaron Fisher and him Mother then went directly to Clinton County CYS Office to make their report.

Except the school did make the call....and I'm not sure anyone should trust the judgment of a woman who let her kids spend the whole weekend at a grown man's house so she could go drink

Reactions: Ski

Was it Spanier or PMA? Seems to me that once the B&I crew completed the takeover of what used to be the engineering society seats, they were awful good at handpicking their own successors. If any of their companies, e.g., BNY-Mellon, actually did donate to the University, they more than made it back in the no-bid contracts they received.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Ski
In the video posted by Wendy, Peetz harkens back to her undergrad days and recalls how important football was to the university and bringing people together.
I didn't see that in the Girl Scout Video. Unless you mean the vine that was snipped out of the full Johns Hopkins video that I posted.

Last edited:
Was it Spanier or PMA? Seems to me that once the B&I crew completed the takeover of what used to be the engineering society seats, they were awful good at handpicking their own successors. If any of their companies, e.g., BNY-Mellon, actually did donate to the University, they more than made it back in the no-bid contracts they received.

Ironically, Cynthia Baldwin Chaired an Ad Hoc Committee that recommended the Bylaws be amended to provide for the Trustees previously controlled by PMA (and Fred Anton) be elected by a Subcommittee of the Board.

She undertook this effort at the direction of Ted Junker and with the support of Dr Spanier.

In the end, this new group of Trustees from Business and Industry, the "Giants" of industry, turned on Dr Spanier ( thank you John Surma, Ed Hintz, Karen Peetz, Ken Frazier, Jim Broadhurst, and Linda Strumpf). They were worried more about their self-preservation that the University's reputation.

As an aside, Dr Spanier served as Karen Peetz advisor when she was an undergraduate.

She Paterno was asked to introduce Peetz when she was made a Distinguished Alumna in 2010. They apparently could find no one else.

Go figure.

Ironically, Cynthia Baldwin Chaired an Ad Hoc Committee that recommended the Bylaws be amended to provide for the Trustees previously controlled by PMA (and Fred Anton) be elected by a Subcommittee of the Board.

She undertook this effort at the direction of Ted Junker and with the support of Dr Spanier.

In the end, this new group of Trustees from Business and Industry, the "Giants" of industry, turned on Dr Spanier ( thank you John Surma, Ed Hintz, Karen Peetz, Ken Frazier, Jim Broadhurst, and Linda Strumpf). They were worried more about their self-preservation that the University's reputation.

As an aside, Dr Spanier served as Karen Peetz advisor when she was an undergraduate.

She Paterno was asked to introduce Peetz when she was made a Distinguished Alumna in 2010. They apparently could find no one else.

Go figure.

Just when I thought I could not be more disgusted by Peetz.....

Anthony, needless to remind you, but whenever and however often the time is appropriate, please remind Sue that there are countless PSU friends and alumni who are firmly behind her and the Paterno family and are part of her PSU family forever.

Go figure.

Anthony, many people on this board are familiar with the writings of former trustees Ben Novak and Robert Horst how PMA subverted the votes of what formerly were the engineering societies. (For anyone not familiar, I definitely recommend you google these gentlemen. You will find out that the BOT shenanigans go back to at least the 1990s.)

My question is was changing the bylaws, and basically the University charter, via a Subcommittee legal? Is this something that should only have been done by the state legislature?

PMA who serves as PSU's insurer has also been the source for most of the B&I trustees. Was there another bad assumption made that PMA would cover the settlements because they're all in the good old boy and girl network together? From some of the articles, it seems there was genuine shock among certain trustees that PMA challenged the payment of the settlements and would not cover them.

I didn't see that in the Girl Scout Video. Unless you mean the vine that was snipped out of the full Johns Hopkins video that I posted.
Sorry Nellie. I thought it was Wendy. It was in the 48 or 49 minute long video on leadership. Near the beginning. She was talking about how Penn State is more than football, a la academics, but football is part of social fabric.

Reactions: Omar81 and 91Joe95
I didn't see that in the Girl Scout Video.
Sorry Nellie. I thought it was Wendy. It was in the 48 or 49 video on leadership.
I was messing with you. ;) As long as it was seen. All those women on here, they're all alike, LOL!

But I did find the duplication kind of weird. Maybe Wendy has me on ignore. Or double-posting gets more attention, IDK. :p

Go figure.
With the benefit of hindsight........

Unfortunately, we all assumed that "success with honor" drove Penn State. Even Dr. Spanier was bamboozled.

Except the school did make the call....and I'm not sure anyone should trust the judgment of a woman who let her kids spend the whole weekend at a grown man's house so she could go drink

Wrong bozo, the school DID NOT "Make the call" to Law Enforcement or the Clinton County DA -- you're quite misguided. "The call" was made by the DPW's Clinton County CYS Office headed by Gerald Rosamilia via an "Indicated Report of CSA" against both Sandusky and his personal charity. Even Corbutt's ILLEGITIMATE SWIGJ Application clearly states this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MahaloT and 91Joe95

Do you really want to go there? If people didn't make bad life decisions, or there weren't bad parents, there would be no need for places like TSM to even exist. We also don't get to pick and choose whose judgments are acceptable and whose aren't based on the outcome we'd like to see.

Corbutt and Feudale are "old hands" at intentionally abusing SWIGJs - HIT THE LINK.

As witness alleges bullying, ACLU adds heat on Tom Corbett

Directly from the article linked above:

“What I find troubling here about these subpoenas is the prosecutor’s zeal to get as long a sentence as possible. The attorney general did not care if victims were unmasked. There was a complete insensitivity to people’s constitutional rights,” said ACLU legal director Vic Walczak.

Interesting, Corbutt and Feudale (who was the presiding Judge of the SWIGJ in question) abusing the powers and purposes of a SWIGJ for the purpose of trampling "people's constitutional rights" back in the spring of 2010? Go figure?

Walczak said the ACLU intends to send a letter to the attorney general asking him to reform his practice of using the grand jury for investigating anything except a crime.

EXACTLY. Not one school in the cases I followed waited until the barn door was closed to hire competent representation with complete knowledge of NCAA charter, bylaws, and prior experience with their tactics. They did it immediately upon receipt of the NCAA LOI.

Gene Marsh gets a call about 2 weeks prior (and 7-8 months too late) and he's in a remote cabin in Maine trying to undo the damage once the OGBOT hubris-laden "We know how to handle everything ourselves" figured out they didn't know how.

I have a song for the whole fiasco too, but "coveydidn't" might not approve, (oh shucky darns).

It's called "Down on Junior's Farm" and is based on the Corman V NCAA case and other Open Records -obtained emails.

Marsh is the Eskimo, and Emmert is the Sea Lion.

Junior's farm is Masser, with Suhey begging him to get his tractor and drag the statue there. (As if that's going to solve the problem).

Houses of Parliament is the OGBOT. (Think public comment period)

You know who "We all chipped in" are, all the normal, educated people watching this unfold in real time and going what in the world are these people doing ( and NOT doing) and why?

I started my Twitter shout about why NCAA should not be even thinking about inserting themselves into a children's welfare case way back when they first started making statements about it, (which is what gained me a bunch of PSU followers, about 250 or so before the impersonator started in with their FAILED dirty work)

The President is Erickson, and his inability to realize a bluff in the high-stakes poker game with Emmert telling him one thing, and Remy telling PSU counsel another, with both Exec Cmtes completely in the dark.

"The price is higher than the time before " is the fine increase from $30M to $60M , you get the idea.

This is a Frank Sheeran-esque post!

Pete Curkendall, former Penn State defensive tackle, posted this on Facebook: “Karen Peetz (sic) son (in front of her and her husband) told a former teammate of mine that JoePa had to be involved with the disappearance of DA Gricar. She and her cronies are not only delusional but have lived off the integrity of others for years. They are nothing more than parasites. This was stated right before they took the statue down.” (facebook.com, 10/18/13)

Words can not describe...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT