ADVERTISEMENT

Lair declares Barkley as likely bust

You are so original, you might as well just wrote “nuh-uh, that’s what you are.”

Keep on dancing puppet. It’s fun manipulating your responses. Your every response is by my design. The only way to avoid being manipulated is to stop responding... of course that might be exactly what I want you to do. Choose wisely!

I thought you put me on ignore...oh, that's right you're a liar.

I thought you put me on ignore...oh, that's right you're a liar.

Just as I intended, so predictable!

When did I say I put you on ignore? You obviously don’t ‘read to good’. You might want to read post #112 a little more slowly. Be careful with your response, as I’m still pulling the strings!

C'mon boys and girls. Let's play nice.
I opened this thread based on the OP's subject line and find all this tripe.
How about staying somewhat on topic or starting your own cat fight thread.

Is Kane one of our operatives, or just a pitt dipstick?

Scouts starting to notice Barkley may be all hype

This guy uses one play where the lane is wide open and either Barkley doesn’t see it, or he doesn’t want to run between tackles. Either one is a massive issue for NFL personal. The scout also pointed out that at 230 pounds, Barkley should run far more physical than he does, me to, that’s him calling Barkley soft. Scout finishes by saying that there may be better backs in the draft, something anyone with functioning eyeballs could see. Barkley will get a lot of positive reviews out of his pro day and combine, but if he doesn’t fall in love with the concept of running between the tackles, drafting him in the top 5 is a massive risk. Especially considering how deep the RB class is this year.

1 KanePA, Today at 9:52 AM

All of Barkley’s big plays come outside the tackle box, so no, I’m not taking Barkley in the top 10. Fournette and Elliot were great inside runners, Barkley looks scared of contact. Hard pass.

4 KanePA, Today at 10:05 AM
And why exactly is it that running backs should be looking for straight up contact anyway? Fournette has had nagging injuries his whole career. Ask Larry Johnson about being straight up physical. He only had a few really good years. Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk types dont take straight up hits thats why they were remarkably durable as is Barkley. Just on the physical tools alone hes a top 5 pick.

C'mon boys and girls. Let's play nice.
I opened this thread based on the OP's subject line and find all this tripe.
How about staying somewhat on topic or starting your own cat fight thread.

+1

I’ve been asking him to stay on topic for days!

Link:
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/if_jets_sign_kirk_cousins_is_saquon_barkley_an_opt.html

If Jets sign Kirk Cousins, is Saquon Barkley an option in NFL Draft? | Scouting report
Posted January 21, 2018 at 06:30 AM | Updated January 21, 2018 at 06:32 AMAM

Could the Jets target Saquon Barkley in the 2018 NFL Draft if they sign Kirk Cousins in free agency? What kind of player would they get in the Penn State running back?

ncaa-football-fiesta-bowl-penn-state-vs-washington-0e57a78a64f4b25d.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas | AP Photo
A new-look offense
It's probably the best-case scenario for the success-starved Jets. A way to completely reshape their offense, and set this team up for immediate playoff and eventual Super Bowl contention.

Sign quarterback, Kirk Cousins in free agency, then use all those draft picks to round out their roster. And if the Jets go that route, Penn State's Saquon Barkley will be an intriguing option with the No. 6 pick. He'd give the Jets a do-it-all player, and potential game-breaking returner.

Want some more information on Barkley? Here are a few scouting reports.

The measurables
No concern about Barkley withstanding an NFL beating. He has the body to take the punishment, and keep on going. Barkley stands 5-11, and weighs 230.

The stats
Barkley's been one of college football's finest players these last three years, tallying 5,038 yards (rushing, receiving) and 51 touchdowns on 773 touches. He also averaged 27.8 yards per kick return and scored two touchdowns (18 attempts), and threw a touchdown.

Barkley had his best rushing season in 2016, totalling 1,496 yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground. He also caught 28 passes for 402 yards and another four scores. This year, Barkley ran 217 times for 1,271 yards (5.9 average) and 18 touchdowns. He set career-highs in catches (54) and receiving yards (632), too.

Could Jets, Giants strike blockbuster trade?

Walter Football
Barkley has devastating quickness to hit the hole and accelerate downfield. Along with great speed, he has tremendous balance, vision, cutting ability, elusiveness and power. Barkley looks like a better prospect than Ezekiel Elliott, and is proving that he is a prospect of similar caliber to players like Leonard Fournette and Todd Gurley. There is no doubt that Barkley is an elite prospect and currently is the top offensive skill-position prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. He is in the running to be the top prospect at any position.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com
Barkley is everything you'd want in a modern-day running back. He can run with power, generate explosive runs and contribute on passing downs. As a player, he reminds me a lot of Ezekiel Elliott coming out of Ohio State. I thought Elliott was one of the best pass-protecting college running backs I'd ever evaluated and Barkley is right on that level. Both guys have that ideal blend of size/speed and they are very instinctive football players.

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report
I could quote you the physical resume—5'11", 233 pounds, runs a 4.33 in the 40-yard dash, power cleans 405 pounds, squatted 525 pounds five times, has no injury history and is only 20 years old.

I could also quote you his on-field resume—almost 5,000 yards rushing and receiving in three seasons despite being the focus of every defensive coordinator in the Big Ten this year. To go along with that he added 51 total touchdowns—two on kickoffs.

But NFL teams care about the person as much as the athlete, so you want to know about his intangibles. Barkley was described by his former offensive coordinator, and current Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead, as "Smart, humble. He's the rare guy whose humble attitude supersedes his talent."

So how do you stop Saquon Barkley? "Draft him," is what Moorhead said NFL teams should do.

Draft Wire
A rare talent with incredible athletic ability, Barkley’s well-rounded skill set will make him a terror on every down at the next level. His rare explosiveness for his size will create serious problems for NFL defenders, and he’ll be a dream for any offensive coordinator or quarterback who wants a strong running game to balance their attack.

Sports Illustrated
Teams are considering retro looks offensively, which can prop up young quarterbacks, help the defense, and exploit opponents built to combat high-end passing attacks. So where the value of running backs may have recently declined, it seems now demand for a 230-pound, three-down, 21st-century style bellcow, a la Elliott or Joe Mixon, is on the rise.

“You can build an offense around him,” said one AFC exec of Barkley. “He’s so f---ing good. Zeke is solid in all areas. Fournette is a special athlete for the position. This kid? He’s way better than both of them . . . He’s a step above Zeke in all categories, and has much better hands and feet and vision than Fournette does. He’s special. I haven’t seen a better college football player.”

Dynasty Scouting
In a draft dominated by quarterbacks, Saquon Barkley will have the highest draft grade of any player. Simply put, he is a freak. In his two starting years at Penn State, he amassed almost 3,800 yards from scrimmage and 45 touchdowns including two on kick returns, just to flex his versatility. He can do it all out of the backfield and has game breaking ability. With first round running backs contributing big returns in recent history (think Ezekiel Elliot, Leonard Fournette, etc.) Barkley will be in high demand as an instant impact player.

Mel Kiper, ESPN
Barkley is a lights-out athlete with tremendous balance, a great lower body and quick feet. He's a stellar runner -- both inside and outside the tackles -- and he showed this season that he's a true three-down back. He had 54 catches after having 48 combined in his first two seasons at Penn State. I think Barkley will run under a 4.4 40-yard dash and test well at the combine at 5-foot-11, 230 pounds. Is he likely to go No. 1 overall in April? Probably not. But he could be a top-five pick, and he has an elite grade from me.

Todd McShay, ESPN
Barkley is the best running back in the nation this season. With good balance and terrific lateral agility, he can run away from the defense when he gets to the second level. He has been bottled up as good defenses have started to focus on him, but that doesn't change what I think of him. Barkley is a special talent and one of the best prospects in this class.

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT