ADVERTISEMENT

Lace up ‘em shoes, IT’S IOWA WEEK

any credible updates on Ayala going tonight or not? .. I think Hildebrandt beats him anyway but may be able to bonus Ybarra
Mineo was coyly asking about it yesterday--but A: I don't think we'll find out until go time and B: I think it will be Ayala (just a hunch, nothing more).

• Haha
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
The whole thing seems so absurd. Almost all wrestling programs operate at a loss. There’s what - just 77 D1 programs left? And the Athletic Directors are authorizing expenditures to disparage Iowa wrestling via social media influencers? Call me skeptical.
giphy.gif

It just amazes me that Tom has learned nothing about how sensitive and naiive he looks when he has these public revelations about Big Meany Things people have been doing to the Hawkeye program without his knowledge. He just makes the target bigger.

And he won’t get over it. Expect to hear more personal hurt about “robots” tonight on the BTN special.

And now, for the next 5 years, we’ll get to hear him lament the personal injury of schools (schools, I tell you!) colluding against him.

Mike Evans is so unimpressed.
On some level, he knows his audience.

Iowa fans (at least the ones engaging with the online/social media stuff he's talking about) have convinced themselves that they are treated unfairly by, basically, everyone. That they're the plucky underdog, slighted and underestimated at every turn.

Refs hate them and won't give them calls. Schools use negative recruiting and lies against them. Seeding committees intentionally under-seed them. NCAA won't enforce rules against programs more successful than them.

This stuff is red meat to that portion of the Iowa fanbase. What amazes me is that his reaction to all that stuff isn't "what is facebook and twitter?".

Iowa fans (at least the ones engaging with the online/social media stuff he's talking about) have convinced themselves that they are treated unfairly by, basically, everyone. That they're the plucky underdog, slighted and underestimated at every turn.

Refs hate them and won't give them calls. Schools use negative recruiting and lies against them. Seeding committees intentionally under-seed them. NCAA won't enforce rules against programs more successful than them.

This stuff is red meat to that portion of the Iowa fanbase. What amazes me is that his reaction to all that stuff isn't "what is facebook and twitter?".
^^^^ this. Iowa takes on the character of their leadership. The positive part of it is the plucky, grind it out, push forward, earned everything, underdog. The negative part is the conspiracy, everyone against us part. Often the negative part is the part that most people see....especially when it gets brought up when things get tough.

I am really happy our leadership consistently takes the high road. I would rather have less information from coaches (it's not like we get a lot) and a consistent positive message than some of the craziness that comes from TNT. And our guys take positivity from leadership and act accordingly.

Looking for a warm-up Friday night? Michigan wrestles Minnesota at 7 PM on BTN.

J.D. Radar expressed doubts that Steveson would be traveling to Michigan. No idea why, but hopefully we see him against Mason Parris. There are some other potentially interesting bouts, too: Suriano vs. McKee, Woodley vs. Bastida, and Brayton Lee vs. Lewan.
They just better be finished by 9 PM.

Reactions: PSUer1989
It just amazes me that Tom has learned nothing about how sensitive and naiive he looks when he has these public revelations about Big Meany Things people have been doing to the Hawkeye program without his knowledge. He just makes the target bigger.

And he won’t get over it. Expect to hear more personal hurt about “robots” tonight on the BTN special.

And now, for the next 5 years, we’ll get to hear him lament the personal injury of schools (schools, I tell you!) colluding against him.

Mike Evans is so unimpressed.
He might be right. There is a rumor out there that Coe College is the braintrust center for the plot to remove TnT and replace them with the brains behind last year's championship. Some 3 time 125 pound champion. Not sure why Coe College, but Coe is another "school".

To give Tom a small benefit of the doubt, Tom is not only a Hawkeye he is also a Hawkeye fan. So the fact refs rarely DQ for stalling the Hawks opponents he probably does think the refs are intentionally cheating.

Just saying.

• Love
Reactions: Fatmarc and Hotshoe
^^^^ this. Iowa takes on the character of their leadership. The positive part of it is the plucky, grind it out, push forward, earned everything, underdog. The negative part is the conspiracy, everyone against us part. Often the negative part is the part that most people see....especially when it gets brought up when things get tough.

I am really happy our leadership consistently takes the high road. I would rather have less information from coaches (it's not like we get a lot) and a consistent positive message than some of the craziness that comes from TNT. And our guys take positivity from leadership and act accordingly.
bUt CaEl ThReW a ChAiR oNcE!

They get more mileage out of that isolated event than a long-haul trucker

Second thought, maybe it’s time.

I’ve been wanting to “retire” from HR and I’m thinking this could be the time. I’ve been seeing a few promising “prospects” over there that can take over and carry the torch. I’m thinking I need to step aside and see what they can do. Lmao.

You can be the Dennis Eckersley of HR. Transition from starter to closer and still make a huge impact on the game.

Second thought, maybe it’s time.

I’ve been wanting to “retire” from HR and I’m thinking this could be the time. I’ve been seeing a few promising “prospects” over there that can take over and carry the torch. I’m thinking I need to step aside and see what they can do. Lmao.
This tour of duty may be over but you need to always be on the ready.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT