ADVERTISEMENT

Lace up ‘em shoes, IT’S IOWA WEEK

Random draw and the dual ends at 149. Iowa is down by three but holds criteria. Murin wins with a SV takedown, the crowd goes ballistic. In his excitement, Murin spikes his headgear and quickly has a "OH S***" look on his face as a team point is docked and the crowd quickly silences and you only hear the PSU bench screaming and cheering and jumping in joy in the background.
If that scenario happens it might be Tom and Terry stripping down to their underwear and protesting!

Random draw and the dual ends at 149. Iowa is down by three but holds criteria. Murin wins with a SV takedown, the crowd goes ballistic. In his excitement, Murin spikes his headgear and quickly has a "OH S***" look on his face as a team point is docked and the crowd quickly silences and you only hear the PSU bench screaming and cheering and jumping in joy in the background.
I would have legitimate concern for the ref's safety in this scenario.

Do TnT even end up at Iowa if they weren’t giving out extra scholarships at the time?
Pretty sure that was investigated and so ended in the late 80s, so before the Brands went to Iowa. By that time Iowa had the recruiting advantage that we have now, in that it was the school you wanted go to if you wanted to win individual and team titles.

Reactions: Ski and hlstone
Pretty sure that was investigated and so ended in the late 80s, so before the Brands went to Iowa. By that time Iowa had the recruiting advantage that we have now, in that it was the school you wanted go to if you wanted to win individual and team titles.
I posted the article. Brands was there; they arrived in 1987.

And beyond giving the extra scholarships… would Iowa have become as desirable a place to go if they hadn’t build a juggernaut with the extra scholarships?

And beyond giving the extra scholarships… would Iowa have become as desirable a place to go if they hadn’t build a juggernaut with the extra scholarships?
1987. I was thinking they were in the early 90s, please ignore my oops post.

Reactions: hlstone

Please tell me you didn't just ask if wrestling for Gable was desirable other than for scholarships.

Please tell me you didn't just ask if wrestling for Gable was desirable other than for scholarships.
Would he have been as successful with an equal number as ok st, as one example?

1987. I was thinking they were in the early 90s, please ignore my oops post.
Yep, as I recall Iowa and Brands came into Rec Hall (imagine that) for a dual. Brands wrestled Jimmy Martin that night ...think Brands was doing as much wrestling and 'bullying' out of bounds as he was in bounds. The match ended up a draw and everyone thought Jimmy and Brands would meet in the NCAA finals that year but as fate would have it they both lost in the semi finals and wrestled each other for 3rd place and Jimmy came out the winner

rascals-tommyboy.gif

Yeah. Okay.

line —————— me

but I do think it helped build the tough room he had.

Brands is an idiot. Pick one they both are just not all there. I know I know they are great coaches yada yada yada. Now with the conspiracy shit. Maybe he's talking about Johnstown lol
You mean I should be getting paid for what I do?

Hey fellas, we are talking about this shit during the next slush fund budget meeting.

I’m pissed…

Looking for a warm-up Friday night? Michigan wrestles Minnesota at 7 PM on BTN.

J.D. Radar expressed doubts that Steveson would be traveling to Michigan. No idea why, but hopefully we see him against Mason Parris. There are some other potentially interesting bouts, too: Suriano vs. McKee, Woodley vs. Bastida, and Brayton Lee vs. Lewan.

Reactions: Doak
It just amazes me that Tom has learned nothing about how sensitive and naiive he looks when he has these public revelations about Big Meany Things people have been doing to the Hawkeye program without his knowledge. He just makes the target bigger.

And he won’t get over it. Expect to hear more personal hurt about “robots” tonight on the BTN special.

And now, for the next 5 years, we’ll get to hear him lament the personal injury of schools (schools, I tell you!) colluding against him.

Mike Evans is so unimpressed.

It just amazes me that Tom has learned nothing about how sensitive and naiive he looks when he has these public revelations about Big Meany Things people have been doing to the Hawkeye program without his knowledge. He just makes the target bigger.

And he won’t get over it. Expect to hear more personal hurt about “robots” tonight on the BTN special.

And now, for the next 5 years, we’ll get to hear him lament the personal injury of schools (schools, I tell you!) colluding against him.

Mike Evans is so unimpressed.
He can't get out of his own way. Never has been able to.

Reactions: mcpat and slushhead
“Control the things that you can control”

Obvious Brands doesn’t live by that motto. Instead of putting a stop to the nonsense going on there, he’d rather call out those talking about the nonsense going on there. He wants to put guys like Desanto on his roster and not get any blow back from what comes of it.

Which line item in a school’s athletic budget / expenditure report do you think includes social media disparagement of Iowa wrestling? A lot of these budget / expenditure reports are publicly available. Do you think it identifies the Iowa wrestling program specifically? Or just the Univ of Iowa in general?

The whole thing seems so absurd. Almost all wrestling programs operate at a loss. There’s what - just 77 D1 programs left? And the Athletic Directors are authorizing expenditures to disparage Iowa wrestling via social media influencers? Call me skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT