ADVERTISEMENT

Lace up ‘em shoes, IT’S IOWA WEEK

Interesting that Iowa only had one meet this weekend.

I initially thought PSU would run away with this dual, but after looking at it, it will be close. There are a ton of matches that could go either way (25, 49, 65, 74, 97). It is very hard to confidently predict this one. I can’t wait!

25 - this one could really go either way. A week ago I would have favored Ayala, but now I think I lean towards Hildebrandt. I think the savvy vet finds a way to a decision. 3-0 PSU
33 - RBY by a comfortable decision. Just don’t think Desanto is a threat to him. 6-0 PSU
41 - Eierman has really looked like crap most of this year. I think Lee wins by 4-5. 9-0 PAU
49 - I’ll probably take my restroom break during this match. Going to lean Murin here with a 3-1 OT match on the takedown happening in the only exchange of the match. 9-3 PSU
57 - I have young getting a decision. 9-6 PSU
65 -This one will be interesting. Marinelli doesn’t look quite right, but I don’t think I’ve seen enough from Berge yet to pick him. It wouldn’t shock me if Berge wins, but I’ll take Marinelli in a one takedown match. 9-9.
74 - last year I would have never predicted Starocci to win over Kem, but now you have to say he’s the favorite. I think Kem has a ton of motivation and has looked pretty good. I’ll take Kem in an upset here (but picking CS at nationals). 12-9 Iowa
84 - Brooks dominates. I think it’s a major. 13-12 PSU
97 - I expect another snoozer here. My guess is that Dean outscrambles, and out conditions Warner to come away with a close win. 16-12 PSU.
Hvy - Kerk looks like he’s back to form where I would have picked him coming into college. Cass appears to have taken a step back. I think Kerk could get a major here, but going to go with a controlling win like 5-1 or 7-2. PSU wins 19-12

I initially thought PSU would run away with this dual, but after looking at it, it will be close. There are a ton of matches that could go either way (25, 49, 65, 74, 97). It is very hard to confidently predict this one. I can’t wait!

25 - this one could really go either way. A week ago I would have favored Ayala, but now I think I lean towards Hildebrandt. I think the savvy vet finds a way to a decision. 3-0 PSU
33 - RBY by a comfortable decision. Just don’t think Desanto is a threat to him. 6-0 PSU
41 - Eierman has really looked like crap most of this year. I think Lee wins by 4-5. 9-0 PAU
49 - I’ll probably take my restroom break during this match. Going to lean Murin here with a 3-1 OT match on the takedown happening in the only exchange of the match. 9-3 PSU
65 -This one will be interesting. Marinelli doesn’t look quite right, but I don’t think I’ve seen enough from Berge yet to pick him. It wouldn’t shock me if Berge wins, but I’ll take Marinelli in a one takedown match. 9-9.
74 - last year I would have never predicted Starocci to win over Kem, but now you have to say he’s the favorite. I think Kem has a ton of motivation and has looked pretty good. I’ll take Kem in an upset here (but picking CS at nationals). 12-9 Iowa
97 - I expect another snoozer here. My guess is that Dean outscrambles, and out conditions Warner to come away with a close win. 16-12 PSU.
Hvy - Kerk looks like he’s back to form where I would have picked him coming into college. Cass appears to have taken a step back. I think Kerk could get a major here, but going to go with a controlling win like 5-1 or 7-2. PSU wins 19-12
That looks about right to me!

Let’s not get too cocky. The Michigan match was incredible. We win every match we were supposed to win, every toss-up and competed quite well at 125 and 157 too. It was the perfect dual. I can’t envision it happening twice in 7 days.

can I thumbs-down my own post?

should always predict at least one surprise... but realistically 8 could go either way based on history, close matches, etc., and wouldn't really be 'big' upsets.

Time to move forward. All hands on deck.
@johnstownsteel , Mike Z is calling for you.

Keep it below the belt, fellas. Time for some f*n. 😉
Week is just beginning so I stepped away from HR today once they started on Mr. Brooks. If I wouldn’t have, Mike “no balls” Z. would have banned me by end of day I can tell you that…

I’ll stop back over soon for sure. It wouldn’t be “Iowa Week” if I’m not looking for a new username by the end of it.

Just posted this on HR a few minutes ago, but here's my thoughts on Friday:

I'm not even going to bother trying to predict this one... Could be anywhere from a 5-5 split to 8-2(unlikely, but possible) for either team.

I'm going with more of a confidence scale for this one. Going with the Mark Hall random number percentages as well ;)

83% confident in Iowa win

68%

54%

47%

39%

26%

17%

That thread was worth it just for the sequence with Turk -- to summarize:

MVP and Mitchell whine about PSU board bans.

Turk: I've never been banned.

MVP: You don't cross any lines.
What was even funnier was MVP saying LoneWolfie mainly talks wrestling. 🥴

EDIT: Pro-tip: LoneWolfie really likes it if you end each reply to him by signing your name.

Just posted this on HR a few minutes ago, but here's my thoughts on Friday:

I'm not even going to bother trying to predict this one... Could be anywhere from a 5-5 split to 8-2(unlikely, but possible) for either team.

I'm going with more of a confidence scale for this one. Going with the Mark Hall random number percentages as well ;)

83% confident in Iowa win

68%

54%

47%

39%

26%

17%
I have to admit I’m surprised at:

- 83% confidence that Marinelli, who just lost to #7, will beat Berge, who just beat #10. 65-35 I’d accept, but 83-17 seems awfully high.

- 54% Warner over Dean. Sure - Dean just lost to Caffey, but he’s also beaten Bulsak and Brucki in the last 10 days. What’s Warner’s best win this year? 3-2 over Trumble? Serious question.

Let’s not get too cocky. The Michigan match was incredible. We win every match we were supposed to win, every toss-up and competed quite well at 125 and 157 too. It was the perfect dual. I can’t envision it happening twice in 7 days.

can I thumbs-down my own post?
Agreed, who would have picked Kem to upset Mark Hall the way their match started out with Kem on his back? Crazy things happen.

On a side note: Our guys will have to tape a glove to a 20 foot pole if they want a handshake next week.

Week is just beginning so I stepped away from HR today once they started on Mr. Brooks. If I wouldn’t have, Mike “no balls” Z. would have banned me by end of day I can tell you that…

I’ll stop back over soon for sure. It wouldn’t be “Iowa Week” if I’m not looking for a new username by the end of it.
I had been wondering if your absence in that thread meant you had already gotten the boot . . .

What was even funnier was MVP saying LoneWolfie mainly talks wrestling. 🥴

EDIT: Pro-tip: LoneWolfie really likes it if you end each reply to him by signing your name.

I figured someone would pick up on that.

bowling-strike.gif

That thread was worth it just for the sequence with Turk -- to summarize:

MVP and Mitchell whine about PSU board bans.

Turk: I've never been banned.

MVP: You don't cross any lines.
They have some real delusional posters on that board. I think they saw these last couple of years as their chance to return to glory and now they have to admit their slide into being "also runs" has most likely resumed. The mouth breathers over there are finding that hard to deal with.

One dude (with the Animal House pledge sig pic) went on a Norma Desmond-like rant about Iowa still being the center of the college wrestling world. I guess a championship every decade or so is enough to feed that kind of crazy fantasy. Too funny.

I have to admit I’m surprised at:

- 83% confidence that Marinelli, who just lost to #7, will beat Berge, who just beat #10. 65-35 I’d accept, but 83-17 seems awfully high.

- 54% Warner over Dean. Sure - Dean just lost to Caffey, but he’s also beaten Bulsak and Brucki in the last 10 days. What’s Warner’s best win this year? 3-2 over Trumble? Serious question.
Cam Amine scratched by the Rutgers kid 3-1 today. He’s not back to speed.

Reactions: mcpat
They have some real delusional posters on that board. I think they saw these last couple of years as their chance to return to glory and now they have to admit their slide into being "also runs" has most likely resumed. The mouth breathers over there are finding that hard to deal with.

One dude (with the Animal House pledge sig pic) went on a Norma Desmond-like rant about Iowa still being the center of the college wrestling world. I guess a championship every decade or so is enough to feed that kind of crazy fantasy. Too funny.
Yes. Grip220 is the eternal optimist and dreamer.

I think we’re the better team. I also think not every single close match will go our way as happened vs Michigan. That was just too perfect. I think one or two of our guys we “expect” to win may lose. In the end, I think we’ll pull out a close one. Really hope Angel Rivera is not the ref. My thoughts, just for the Hell of it.

125 toss up, but I am liking PSU
133 PSU
141 good tough match, PSU lean
149 toss up, cognitively it is Murin lean. I am interested as all get out to see Beau with a tough opponent in a tough venue
157 Iowa
166 Solid Iowa lean, but would not be surprised if Brady wins here.
174 PSU
184 PSU
197 A strong PSU lean
HWT PSU

Agreed, who would have picked Kem to upset Mark Hall the way their match started out with Kem on his back? Crazy things happen.

On a side note: Our guys will have to tape a glove to a 20 foot pole if they want a handshake next week.
We should discuss at tomorrow’s board meeting whether it would be appropriate to set aside some funds for bonus payments to whichever PSU wrestlers signal & point “stalling” at TnT whenever they are snubbed for a handshake.

First off I absolutely love the confidence everyone is showing. I will always give credit where credit is due, Iowa is tough up and down the lineup. Going into Carver is no joke. Its a tough atmosphere to wrestle in the first time, and every time afterwards. There is definitely something to the "Carver Magic." I've seen quite a number of top guys take losses there. To put it in perspective, I don't think Mark Hall ever won there.

125 - Ayala has looked tough. Just took a loss to Heinselman, but I think that was the first wrestler who has been in on his legs so often which obviously kept him from getting to his offense. He has a great slide by which Drew will have to be aware of. I don't like this matchup for Drew considering Ayala's high number of attacks. While I'm not saying Drew can't defend those attacks, the stall calls could become a factor on their feet. With that being said, this is where it gets interesting. I don't think Ayala has faced someone that's as good on top as Drew. So which one prevails, Drew's mat wrestling, or Ayala's attacks? Its hard to pick against experience. 3-0 PSU

133 - DeSanto comes off of his vacation looking calm, cool, and collected. RBY doesn't go today, but there is no way he misses this match unless he's injured, or not allowed to go. RBY seems to have figured out what nobody else has and that is how to defend DeSanto's dump. Iowa fans will be calling for stalling from the get go when RBY puts his arm behind his back, we all know its coming. From where I sit, if someone wants to wrestle with one arm behind their back, that's not stalling. I think it takes some guts to wrestle someone with one arm behind your back. RBY has had his number since he started doing that, and until DeSanto proves otherwise, I don't think he has figured out what to do when he can't get to that tie. I think it'll be close as usual, but RBY gets the win. 6-0 PSU

141 - Eierman has had some extremely close matches this year. He hasn't looked quite as good as he did last year. That doesn't mean he's still not a very good wrestler. His top game is one of the best in the business and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Nick doesn't go under when its his choice. Another super close match that can go either way, but Nick defends his title. 9-0 PSU

149 - Murin is no doubt a grinder and wrestled Sasso tough. The key to victory here will be for BB to stop his shot and hit his counter like he did today. I know BB has wrestled all over the world in big matches. However, I'm not sure if he's experienced an atmosphere like this. Do I think he can beat Murin, yes. Do I think he will this time around, unfortunately not. Like I said, Murin is a tough wrestler, on his home mat, and that mat is in Carver. 9-3 PSU

157 - Young goes through spurts every year. He has matches where he looks good, and matches where he looks pretty rough. I think Negron gets the nod. Against someone who is streaky, we'll need someone who can score from their feet. Negron has been the only guy at this weight so far that has shown that. If Young has one of his bad matches, it could get interesting. However, Young has been around for a while and this will be the first time for our guy in Carver. Young hasn't put up a ton of points this year so I don't think we're in danger of giving up bonus here. 9-6 PSU

165 - I might be in the minority here, but I like the bull. He's a tough competitor and seems to be a stand up guy off the mat. His March woes are well documented, but his success outside of the tournament should be as well. I loved watching him and Joseph go at it since there always seemed to be a big exchange at some point in the match. His game plan is always the same, push his opponent all over the mat, and when he gets pressure back, post the arm and hit his shots. When he gets in, he usually finishes. Berge on the other hand has always been super hard to score on. Berge has done well with the ankle pics, but I think the bull is too strong for those. 9-9

174 - Before March, it would have been hard to pick CStar over Kem. I have seen Kem wrestle since his elementary days ( lets get this out of the way, yes that was a long time ago ). I've talked personally to Kem and he has always been super nice and humble. However, to beat a guy like CStar, you have to be 100%, and I'm not sure Kem's shoulder is there. Obviously it'll be a close match as Kem is still a top guy, but I think CStar has continued to improve. 12-9 PSU

184 - Assad has only wrestled 2 guys in the top ten this year and lost both. He wrestled Romero tough losing in SV, but Romero isn't Brooks. I would love to see Brooks push for a major, and he just might, but I'm not sure he gets it. I think it will be a comfortable win by 4-5. 15-9 PSU

197 - This will be Warner's first chance at a top ranked guy this year. I would like to say he looked less than impressive against Hoffman, but honestly that is just his style. He usually gets his takedown, then uses two thigh prys to ride and if his opponent gets to their feet, they're usually on the edge and out they go. Rinse and repeat. My problem here is Dean hasn't look quite right the last 3 matches. I think mat wrestling will decide this one and that plays right into where Dean wants to be. 18-9 PSU

285 - Cass hasn't quite looked as dominant this year as he did. He is still no doubt one of the best heavyweights in the nation. Kerk is coming off his best win against Parris, and looked in complete control the whole time. Is his game plan the same against Cass? Not sure. What I do know, is when these two met previously, Kerk had a hard time getting out from bottom. Kerk also wasn't healthy but that is no longer the case. I think he keeps his winning ways going. 21-9 PSU

This match is extremely hard to predict. There are about 100 different ways this thing could play out. I hope for everyone's sake, both teams are able to send out a full lineup. With full line ups, I feel it necessary to do this:

25 slight lean PSU
33 slight lean PSU
41 slight lean PSU
49 Iowa favorite
57 Iowa favorite
65 Iowa favorite
74 slight lean PSU
84 PSU favorite
97 slight lean PSU
285 slight lean PSU

If my predictions are correct, the team score will be no where near how close this match will actually be. I'm confident but also realize what Iowa can do.

We Are!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT