ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kalen King officially declares for 2024 NFL Draft

5th round. Hopefully he's content with that. Penn State is the only program in the nation that encourages kids to leave early who aren't even close to first round talent.

Reactions: PSUPride1
5th round. Hopefully he's content with that. Penn State is the only program in the nation that encourages kids to leave early who aren't even close to first round talent.
2nd round…he’s more likely to go in round 1 than slip to the 3rd day. God, are your takes awful on this stuff.

Reactions: bison13
King falling to the 5th now? lol. Come on
King has a subpar year for him but his potential alone makes him a day 2 guy

King needed another year to improve his draft status.
The NFL is about the second contract. Many here still think you have to be an early pick to go. That's not true. See Rasheed Walker and Parker Washington. Both went late but are starting/contributing which earns them more $ in the long run. They're betting on themselves.

Let it go, you’ve crossed the line into the ridiculous.

Reactions: Westcoast24
100% serious. King built his reputation against bad passing attacks and didn't measure up to top competition. I can only surmise that he made a very late decision to duck Ole Miss because he was afraid of getting exposed. Otherwise, why stay with your team, steal practice reps through the bowl prep from young teammates who were going to get thrown to the wolves, and then back out last minute? I could be wrong, but that is the report that I have heard that even his teammates in the secondary didn't know he was opting out.
And your report is from whom? Yes you are wrong.

Obviously....but his numbers vs King were not synonymous with every other CB1 in each of his games. Kalen got wrecked.
He did. As we tried to put King on him 1v1 which most NFL CBs can't handle. Our scheme but us in that game. What how most teams tried to stop him.

Harrison is the best route runner the college game has seen in decades. I said King had a down year (not just that game) but that has zero impact on him entering the draft. If you're going to be drafted, in any round, you go.

Unless you're a RB and the NIL $ is crazy good

He did. As we tried to put King on him 1v1 which most NFL CBs can't handle. Our scheme but us in that game. What how most teams tried to stop him.

Harrison is the best route runner the college game has seen in decades. I said King had a down year (not just that game) but that has zero impact on him entering the draft. If you're going to be drafted, in any round, you go.

Unless you're a RB and the NIL $ is crazy good
Absolutely, I'm not disagreeing with you… he might get drafted in the first round, but that doesn't mean he didn't have an underwhelming yr and really did not make many plays. there's a reason why Johnny Dixon was Manny's go to guy for blitzing and overall playmaking. But apparently there are some pretty big fan boys of king on here who are sensitive today

That's dumb. RBs have shorter careers. If anyone should go early, it is a RB to save mileage and increase their odds of getting to that 2nd contract.
RBs don't get paid any more on their second deals. The NFL discards them. A couple years ago I'd have agreed with you but unless you're a top 5 back you're replaceable.

Reactions: Ski
Lando...read his post again...it was stated the player didn't know King was opting out until last minute. Not that he was afraid.

Please follow the thread...he's stating the report he heard was that King was afraid.

100% serious. King built his reputation against bad passing attacks and didn't measure up to top competition. I can only surmise that he made a very late decision to duck Ole Miss because he was afraid of getting exposed. Otherwise, why stay with your team, steal practice reps through the bowl prep from young teammates who were going to get thrown to the wolves, and then back out last minute? I could be wrong, but that is the report that I have heard that even his teammates in the secondary didn't know he was opting out.

Please follow the thread...he's stating the report he heard was that King was afraid.
I read it the other way. And, there was a quote saying as much. Either way, the whole thing stinks, from the fake culture JF preaches to guys sitting out. I'm starting to come around now that the whole program knew who was opting out and duped the fans so as to get more people to head to Atlanta. Does anyone put it past JF to cloud his messaging?

I read it the other way. And, there was a quote saying as much. Either way, the whole thing stinks, from the fake culture JF preaches to guys sitting out. I'm starting to come around now that the whole program knew who was opting out and duped the fans so as to get more people to head to Atlanta. Does anyone put it past JF to cloud his messaging?
I still think he said what he said primarily because he believes that what our fan base wants to here "we're different than others". I think most players likely opted out after tickets and flights would have been purchased. But no I dont put it past him. Like most coaches he's a salesman. Part of his job is getting our fans to spend money.

Look at how many people got to games against teams like Delaware and UMass. He's got us and will continue to manipulate things as long as it works. Maybe this helps some see the light.

I still think he said what he said primarily because he believes that what our fan base wants to here "we're different than others". I think most players likely opted out after tickets and flights would have been purchased. But no I dont put it past him. Like most coaches he's a salesman. Part of his job is getting our fans to spend money.

Look at how many people got to games against teams like Delaware and UMass. He's got us and will continue to manipulate things as long as it works. Maybe this helps some see the light.
Agreed overall. But, fans crave PSU football and we cherish the 7 home games. He isn't bringing fans out for Delaware, Umass and the other garbage on the schedule. It's our craving and love for PSU football, which started way before he arrived. With that being said, I think his wiggle room is over...high-end donors can't be happy and I'm guessing his 'ask for more because we are behind' days are slowly ending. It's time to deliver -- and I don't mean beating WVU and UCLA next year and calling it a good season.

Reactions: LandoComando
I can only surmise that he made a very late decision to duck Ole Miss because he was afraid of getting exposed.

If he was going to get exposed by Ole Miss, he won't last in the NFL beyond whatever time frame they usually cut players based upon the round they were drafted.

Couldn't one surmise that he practiced with the team to enjoy the month and trip with his brother? They've been together for 21 years. After Kalen leaves college, they won't see each other near as much.

Lmao

I suppose that it can be both. It isn't necessarily mutually exclusive. He could have wanted to enjoy a trip with his brother and also not wanted to get exposed by a high-powered passing attack. There will certainly be different interpretations.

It just seems that you are unhappy with the loss/opt outs/Franklin and choosing to support a negative narrative. There is nothing out there that supports what you are saying. It just sounds plausible if you choose to believe it.

To be fair, if King was around for practices and realized how inept the defense might be without Diaz, Chop, etc maybe he was smart to opt out so he wasn't put in a bad situation.

Ultimately the players need to do what is best for them. King did. We should support that.

To be fair, if King was around for practices and realized how inept the defense might be without Diaz, Chop, etc maybe he was smart to opt out so he wasn't put in a bad situation.

Ultimately the players need to do what is best for them. King did. We should support that.

The biggest defensive ineptitude was directly because of King's absence.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I know as a former D1 athlete that I wanted to compete every opportunity that I had.
Were you about to enter the draft and sign a contract for millions?
Were Chop and Olu afraid to compete? Was Dixon? I think those are obvious no. Great competitors
Why King?

I am unhappy with all of that (Franklin only recently but I am truly on the fence on him, he likely hit his ceiling, but he is a good man and representative of the program).

And no, there is no article saying that King ducked Ole Miss at the last minute because their WRs would have exposed him. That is my opinion. I don't think anyone (teammate, coach, writer) is going to come out and put something like that on record. Doesn't mean it wasn't true. It is merely my best guess. I know as a former D1 athlete that I wanted to compete every opportunity that I had.

If you, as a former D1 athlete, wanted to compete at every opportunity, why do you think King, also a D1 athlete, didn't compete? Just bad logic alone.

I think Franklin wanted to give the appearance of players playing. I think he went to his oldest players (Issac, Jacobs) and asked them to play a few snaps. I think it's unusual that the transfer portal opt outs didn't even travel with the team. At the end of the day, Franklin is the face of it all and until he wins more big games he will be seen negatively.

I don't think this was a big game loss, though. That's just narrative. Utah wasn't considered a big game win. People can't have it both ways.

Boy everyone is a d1 athlete on a free message board lol.
So if we aren't a current or former d1 athlete, we can't be on a message board? Sounds like what Lambert-Smith was chastising fans about on Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT