ADVERTISEMENT

JVP: 66-20 from 2005 til they killed him

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
I see 3 very good teams in there (possibly 4, depending how 2011 would have sorted out).. out of 7 seasons. The 2005 team was undefeated, marred only by an asterisk when they got Bf'd by the B10 at AA.

They had very good teams in 2008 and 2009... marred spectacularly by an awful loss to iowa. otherwise, they fielded an exceptional team that most folks would be proud to call their own.

in 2011, joe was 8-1 when they pulled him from the field.

that's 66-20... a 76.7% win percentage. not too shabby.

he was in the process of putting together a very strong recruiting class which B'OB improved upon.. only to see it torn asunder buy the retards that run the dance. it seems fair to say that without the Sandusky scandal, jvp finishes his last season 11-2 with a top 7-15 incoming class.

The only real question was whether he would have stepped down.. which would have been the right thing to do (in light of his health). The team goes out on a high note, the program is set for the next few years.. the legacy is complete.

So anyone who wants to say we were never an "elite" program since the 90s might want to re-think that. yes, we sucked wind from 2000-2004... but they figured it out and fixed the ship. pretty damned impressive at that late stage of life.

The man will always be my hero, and I'm glad I was around to take that ride.

Pretty impressive record for a senile old man who employed his idiot son and never got any blue chip recruits after 1990. Also, had a staff of asst. coaches that were yes men etc. The strength program was archaic as well. Funny how so many PSU Football alums stumbled into the NFL when Joe didn't know squat.

The program slipped starting in 1999, when one of the most talented teams Joe had dropped the last three regular season games. The next few years were pretty much a disaster.

Yes, Joe was an amazing coach. Yes, even in his last few years he was able to inspire and even start to turn the program around pretty much by himself with what was effectively half a coaching staff. And yes, he had every right to ignore the "Joe must go" crowd- remember them?

But the period from 2000-2010 was by far the worst of his career, including four losing seasons. (there was ONE losing season from 1967-2009) and only one team that finished in the top 5. That isn't "elite". What Alabama and Ohio State have been doing is "elite", and that should be our target. It would have been Joes back in the day- that you can be certain of.

I see 3 very good teams in there (possibly 4, depending how 2011 would have sorted out).. out of 7 seasons. The 2005 team was undefeated, marred only by an asterisk when they got Bf'd by the B10 at AA.

They had very good teams in 2008 and 2009... marred spectacularly by an awful loss to iowa. otherwise, they fielded an exceptional team that most folks would be proud to call their own.

he was in the process of putting together a very strong recruiting class which B'OB improved upon.. only to see it torn asunder buy the retards that run the dance. it seems fair to say that without the Sandusky scandal, jvp finishes his last season 11-2 with a top 7-15 incoming class.

The only real question was whether he would have stepped down.. which would have been the right thing to do (in light of his health). The team goes out on a high note, the program is set for the next few years.. the legacy is complete.

So anyone who wants to say we were never an "elite" program since the 90s might want to re-think that. yes, we sucked wind from 2000-2004... but they figured it out and fixed the ship. pretty damned impressive at that late stage of life.

He would still be living if he was allowed to exit on his terms and not by the terms of the evil BOT. That basically killed him more than the cancer

I don't think we would have finished 11-2. PSU won a lot of close games vs. lesser opponents to get to 8-1 and the better teams came at the end. I do think we would have won 1 more game.

On the other hand I think that last recruiting class had a good chance to be top 5 in the country.

He would still be living if he was allowed to exit on his terms and not by the terms of the evil BOT. That basically killed him more than the cancer
Unfortunately, I disagree. Joe was so damned stubborn that I think he refused to seek timely medical assistance because he was so damned stubborn.

God Bless Joe.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
The program slipped starting in 1999, when one of the most talented teams Joe had dropped the last three regular season games. The next few years were pretty much a disaster.

Yes, Joe was an amazing coach. Yes, even in his last few years he was able to inspire and even start to turn the program around pretty much by himself with what was effectively half a coaching staff. And yes, he had every right to ignore the "Joe must go" crowd- remember them?

But the period from 2000-2010 was by far the worst of his career, including four losing seasons. (there was ONE losing season from 1967-2009) and only one team that finished in the top 5. That isn't "elite". What Alabama and Ohio State have been doing is "elite", and that should be our target. It would have been Joes back in the day- that you can be certain of.

Pretty sure it was 69-16.

The man will always be my hero, and I'm glad I was around to take that ride.[/

I never figured out the need for heros. I left that when I put down the comic books. A better question is what the heck happened in 2000 - 2004?! Some attribute it to the death of his brother, George, who served as his only sounding board and critic. As outsiders we'll never know.

I measure an excellent team as one which goes undefeated regular season. I don't see any excellent PSU teams since '94. There have been a few good ones and there have been a few major disappointments, such as 1999.

I've always been against putting up statues of living persons. I'm not necessarily a religious man but what they did to Joe and family is unconscionable and there will be an accounting for it. It is one thing for which I have prayed. If you know me that's saying something.

Whenever I watch our old tapes, I am absolutely amazed at how fundamentally sound we were. Our halftime adjustments were some of the best in the business. And our tackling and blocking was far better and crisper than it is now.

We weren't fancy, but what we ran, we ran extremely well and efficiently. No team is perfect, and we certainly weren't. But I think we did more with the STUDENT athletes we had, and coached them up and taught them better, than any school in Division One.

There is no doubt in my mind that our ability to keep our staff together, and identify talent that could both play football and actually graduate, contributed immensely to our long term success.

Thanks for the memories Joe. You were the Greatest.

Pretty impressive record for a senile old man who employed his idiot son and never got any blue chip recruits after 1990. Also, had a staff of asst. coaches that were yes men etc. The strength program was archaic as well. Funny how so many PSU Football alums stumbled into the NFL when Joe didn't know squat.

hafta reply... i loved your answer. thank you!

WOW. here I was just being a touch annoyed and in the mood just to say how much i missed what we took so much for granted.

apparently, i'm not alone.

we had something so special going on... i hope most of us got it... and enjoyed it.

thanks for chiming in, brothers.

the brotherhood remains strong. :)

Whenever I watch our old tapes, I am absolutely amazed at how fundamentally sound we were. Our halftime adjustments were some of the best in the business. And our tackling and blocking was far better and crisper than it is now.

We weren't fancy, but what we ran, we ran extremely well and efficiently. No team is perfect, and we certainly weren't. But I think we did more with the STUDENT athletes we had, and coached them up and taught them better, than any school in Division One.

There is no doubt in my mind that our ability to keep our staff together, and identify talent that could both play football and actually graduate, contributed immensely to our long term success.

Thanks for the memories Joe. You were the Greatest.

It's stunning to think that Joe did it so well for 45 years.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Something we'll probably never know, nor do we have the right to know: When was Joe actually diagnosed with small cell lung cancer? Maybe it really was a few days before the 11/19/11 announcement of his disease. But I've always been a tad skeptical because I'm sure he would have had a series of chest x-rays after he got crushed during practice in early August when WR Devon Smith ran into him while running a pass route. For the medical experts on this site, can metastatic small cell carcinoma start after mid-August and kill a patient by mid-January after starting treatment in mid-November? I know it's an aggressive form of cancer.

Could Joe have been diagnosed in August but declined treatment so he could coach out his contract? It's the Paterno Family's decision to reveal such information, and if they choose never to disclose any detail of Joe's medical record, that's their prerogative.

about 99. anyone hear of some unreal team usc put together in... i think it was 2012? as in somebody came back for their senior season and got bf'd? finished 7-6 with what might have been one of the top 5 talent teams of all time. made our 99 squad look like a peanuts rerun.

iow, it happens.

that said... we lost a bad game to minny... we got screwed by bad refs vs um.. we got hammerred by msu... then we hammered the F outta tamu. when that team was on, they were invincible.

Something we'll probably never know, nor do we have the right to know: When was Joe actually diagnosed with small cell lung cancer? Maybe it really was a few days before the 11/19/11 announcement of his disease. But I've always been a tad skeptical because I'm sure he would have had a series of chest x-rays after he got crushed during practice in early August when WR Devon Smith ran into him while running a pass route. For the medical experts on this site, can metastatic small cell carcinoma start after mid-August and kill a patient by mid-January after starting treatment in mid-November? I know it's an aggressive form of cancer.

Could Joe have been diagnosed in August but declined treatment so he could coach out his contract? It's the Paterno Family's decision to reveal such information, and if they choose never to disclose any detail of Joe's medical record, that's their prerogative.
Last year my grandmother was diagnosed with the same thing. She was gone in less than 60 days. Damn I miss her. She was so stubborn so who knows how long she had symptoms before going in. Cancer sucks.

I think righting the ship after the dark years was one of Joe's greatest achievements, not only on the face of it, but what it said about Penn State for letting him try. Man, how times have changed!

And what was his record against Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa during that time? It's also convenient that you left out 2000-2004.

What those guys have been doing is over signing.

And what was his record against Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa during that time? It's also convenient that you left out 2000-2004.

wasn't convenient at all... i even mentioned that we sucked in those years.. and that this old man and this old staff figured it out and rebounded to become strong again.

now, as to your question... unfortunately, we have to remove one of our wins and one of um's BS big schmuck "wins"... so 2005 is off the table. from 06-11, we're 3-2. so imo, we're 4-2. they know it, we know it. end of story. but 3-2 is the fair number.

we went 2-3 versus iowa. those losses hurt the most.

we went 2-4 versus osu... and we do not get to count the 2011 win to make us 3-4.. joe was gone.

that said, the loss to iowa in 09 was the worst REAL loss. the WIN over osu in 2005 the best WIN. and the (lmao) loss to um in 2005 was the biggest pile of shit the B10 rained down on us (in their effort to make up for us having the temerity to dare to beat osu on national tv at night). had the game been refed fairly, we go into the bowl season undefeated and a legitimate contended for the big game.

do i think we beat either texas or usc that particular year? no. but it would have been a fair game and worth watching. we belonged.

now, as to your, um, question... i was very clear.. i was specifying the years 2005 until joe was cut loose for a reason. that we had a terrible 4 seasons isn't at issue.. that the coaches and the teams responded to all the negativity and wringing of hands by returning to its glory days says much about the people and their character.

You are correct that we will probably never know. However, I have heard that certain trustees were contacting "candidates" in the summer of 2011. I believe they knew he intended to step down. If they also knew he was ill, it makes their actions even more heinous (if that is possible).

wasn't convenient at all... i even mentioned that we sucked in those years.. and that this old man and this old staff figured it out and rebounded to become strong again.

now, as to your question... unfortunately, we have to remove one of our wins and one of um's BS big schmuck "wins"... so 2005 is off the table. from 06-11, we're 3-2. so imo, we're 4-2. they know it, we know it. end of story. but 3-2 is the fair number.

we went 2-3 versus iowa. those losses hurt the most.

we went 2-4 versus osu... and we do not get to count the 2011 win to make us 3-4.. joe was gone.

that said, the loss to iowa in 09 was the worst REAL loss. the WIN over osu in 2005 the best WIN. and the (lmao) loss to um in 2005 was the biggest pile of shit the B10 rained down on us (in their effort to make up for us having the temerity to dare to beat osu on national tv at night). had the game been refed fairly, we go into the bowl season undefeated and a legitimate contended for the big game.

do i think we beat either texas or usc that particular year? no. but it would have been a fair game and worth watching. we belonged.

now, as to your, um, question... i was very clear.. i was specifying the years 2005 until joe was cut loose for a reason. that we had a terrible 4 seasons isn't at issue.. that the coaches and the teams responded to all the negativity and wringing of hands by returning to its glory days says much about the people and their character.
Fair enough. But we are Penn State and should not be a second tier team in the Big 10. That goes for whoever the coach is. But Paterno didn't have the blockers that BoB and JF had/have so I have a much harder time giving him a pass. Especially his conservative approach when playing these teams on the road.

Here is something to think about. Pro and con, I hope we will all live long enough to see PSU better 66-20 again. Then and only then, will JVP's critics have a legitimate platform.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

You have your recruiting classes confused. The 2012 class was Paterno's last that he recruited for and it was looking to be a top 15ish type of class. The reason for that was that he was allegedly telling recruits that Urbs was taking over for him after the season. When the scandal hit, most of the high end kids left... many going to OSU with Urban (which gives some credence to what was alleged above). BOB came in and did a pretty decent job in getting a couple of good players in the 11th hour (Trevor Williams, Jordan Lucas were the most notable along with Wendy Laurent). That class finished 51st. The next year BOB had us in the top 10 and we were doing well with several high end recruits before the sanctions came down. Those were all his kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT