ADVERTISEMENT

JVP: 66-20 from 2005 til they killed him

wasn't convenient at all... i even mentioned that we sucked in those years.. and that this old man and this old staff figured it out and rebounded to become strong again.

now, as to your question... unfortunately, we have to remove one of our wins and one of um's BS big schmuck "wins"... so 2005 is off the table. from 06-11, we're 3-2. so imo, we're 4-2. they know it, we know it. end of story. but 3-2 is the fair number.

we went 2-3 versus iowa. those losses hurt the most.

we went 2-4 versus osu... and we do not get to count the 2011 win to make us 3-4.. joe was gone.

that said, the loss to iowa in 09 was the worst REAL loss. the WIN over osu in 2005 the best WIN. and the (lmao) loss to um in 2005 was the biggest pile of shit the B10 rained down on us (in their effort to make up for us having the temerity to dare to beat osu on national tv at night). had the game been refed fairly, we go into the bowl season undefeated and a legitimate contended for the big game.

do i think we beat either texas or usc that particular year? no. but it would have been a fair game and worth watching. we belonged.

now, as to your, um, question... i was very clear.. i was specifying the years 2005 until joe was cut loose for a reason. that we had a terrible 4 seasons isn't at issue.. that the coaches and the teams responded to all the negativity and wringing of hands by returning to its glory days says much about the people and their character.
The loss to Iowa was bad coaching (I'm NOT blaming Joe alone- but somebody- a real QB coach, for example, should have acted)- Robinson had his bell rung- badly- and never should have gone back in to the game. Devlin was every bit as good as a healthy Robinson and would have won that game. Hell, Robinson shouldn't have played the next week, either.

Complaining about the refs is weak. If the game is so close that one bad call changes the outcome then either team will have some calls they can point to.

Unfortunately, I disagree. Joe was so damned stubborn that I think he refused to seek timely medical assistance because he was so damned stubborn.

God Bless Joe.
Don't be so sure of that. I think he did seek treatment, and I think people were aware of a problem.

I am remembering a convo I had with a private investigator in the course of my work. This was several years before the end. He told me that word on the street was that Joe had cancer. Years later, I saw that he died from the same type of cancer that had been rumored.

Of course, rumors are nothing but rumors. My only point is that I think he knew well in advance.

Still, I agree with the notion that the way he was treated by the BOT is what ultimately killed him.

i'm sorry.. did i bother you with facts, son? my bad

how'd everybody else do against um, osu, and iowa during that time frame. take your time.

We are Penn State not everybody else. And in two seasons in the early 2000's Iowa won 3 Big Ten games and 2
were against PSU.

The loss to Iowa was bad coaching (I'm NOT blaming Joe alone- but somebody- a real QB coach, for example, should have acted)- Robinson had his bell rung- badly- and never should have gone back in to the game. Devlin was every bit as good as a healthy Robinson and would have won that game. Hell, Robinson shouldn't have played the next week, either.

Complaining about the refs is weak. If the game is so close that one bad call changes the outcome then either team will have some calls they can point to.
Huh I did not realize that Pat Devlin and Mike Robinson played together. I also thought that somebody with the last name of MD, cleared players to play and not coaches.

I think you mean Clark instead of Robinson....

Reactions: john4psu
Huh I did not realize that Pat Devlin and Mike Robinson played together. I also thought that somebody with the last name of MD, cleared players to play and not coaches.
yeah it was Clark, not Robinson

and you didn't need an MD to know he wasn't right

not a bad run for JoePa during that last stretch but only good for something like 15th nationally if you give back the "lost" wins to Alabama, O$U, and U$C.... a nice rebound from the previous 5 years

I see 3 very good teams in there (possibly 4, depending how 2011 would have sorted out).. out of 7 seasons. The 2005 team was undefeated, marred only by an asterisk when they got Bf'd by the B10 at AA.

They had very good teams in 2008 and 2009... marred spectacularly by an awful loss to iowa. otherwise, they fielded an exceptional team that most folks would be proud to call their own.

in 2011, joe was 8-1 when they pulled him from the field.

that's 66-20... a 76.7% win percentage. not too shabby.

he was in the process of putting together a very strong recruiting class which B'OB improved upon.. only to see it torn asunder buy the retards that run the dance. it seems fair to say that without the Sandusky scandal, jvp finishes his last season 11-2 with a top 7-15 incoming class.

The only real question was whether he would have stepped down.. which would have been the right thing to do (in light of his health). The team goes out on a high note, the program is set for the next few years.. the legacy is complete.

So anyone who wants to say we were never an "elite" program since the 90s might want to re-think that. yes, we sucked wind from 2000-2004... but they figured it out and fixed the ship. pretty damned impressive at that late stage of life.

The man will always be my hero, and I'm glad I was around to take that ride.

I see 3 very good teams in there (possibly 4, depending how 2011 would have sorted out).. out of 7 seasons. The 2005 team was undefeated, marred only by an asterisk when they got Bf'd by the B10 at AA.

They had very good teams in 2008 and 2009... marred spectacularly by an awful loss to iowa. otherwise, they fielded an exceptional team that most folks would be proud to call their own.

in 2011, joe was 8-1 when they pulled him from the field.

that's 66-20... a 76.7% win percentage. not too shabby.

he was in the process of putting together a very strong recruiting class which B'OB improved upon.. only to see it torn asunder buy the retards that run the dance. it seems fair to say that without the Sandusky scandal, jvp finishes his last season 11-2 with a top 7-15 incoming class.

The only real question was whether he would have stepped down.. which would have been the right thing to do (in light of his health). The team goes out on a high note, the program is set for the next few years.. the legacy is complete.

So anyone who wants to say we were never an "elite" program since the 90s might want to re-think that. yes, we sucked wind from 2000-2004... but they figured it out and fixed the ship. pretty damned impressive at that late stage of life.

The man will always be my hero, and I'm glad I was around to take that ride.
The 2008 and 2009 teams were both ranked number 8 in the country in the final polls. I agree with you that was pretty good for a senile old man that couldn't coach or recruit and had a horrible yes man coaching staff. Go Lions

not a bad run for JoePa during that last stretch but only good for something like 15th nationally if you give back the "lost" wins to Alabama, O$U, and U$C.... a nice rebound from the previous 5 years

i really have no problem with any of the losses to those teams. they were simply better.

in hindsight (i wish i had done more?), we were blessed to have joe for so long... spoiled, maybe.

Joe Paterno did as much coaching in those years as did you. When Paterno was younger, he said he would
retire when he could no longer do the job. He lied.

If Joe didn't coach who did?Was it cause he was busy running the university? All the folks that bad mouth Joe give Jay nothing but grief. So did the team coach themselves? On autopilot I guess. How many practices did you attend? Cause I gotta tell you, I attended quite a few practices in the spring of those years and damn if it didn't appear Joe was still running the show. I will say again, when PSU betters 66-20 the JVP critics can sing. Until then, you don't have a platform.

First, I agree with most of your points... but not bad reffing. When 2 evenly matched teams compete (and especially when you play AT mich) a terrible reffing decision late in any game likely spells a loss. In the middle, it sux, but you have time to fix it. There were a lot of bad calls that day and we fixed them all and had the game won... it was stolen. period. that team finishes unbeaten.

You have your recruiting classes confused. The 2012 class was Paterno's last that he recruited for and it was looking to be a top 15ish type of class. The reason for that was that he was allegedly telling recruits that Urbs was taking over for him after the season. When the scandal hit, most of the high end kids left... many going to OSU with Urban (which gives some credence to what was alleged above). BOB came in and did a pretty decent job in getting a couple of good players in the 11th hour (Trevor Williams, Jordan Lucas were the most notable along with Wendy Laurent). That class finished 51st. The next year BOB had us in the top 10 and we were doing well with several high end recruits before the sanctions came down. Those were all his kids.

actually, it was looking to be a top 5 type of class. I haev never seen anything to indicate that JVP was actually telling recruits that UM was going to be the next coach. Most of that seemed to come from this list... if you know differently, i'm (of course) interested. But i recall the UM coming here bit as being in the minds of the fans, not psu.

Joe Paterno did as much coaching in those years as did you. When Paterno was younger, he said he would

You're right... but then you have to look at 2005-2011 and ask... is 66-20 so bad that you should think you can't coach? And that said... I'm pretty sure 2011 was the end for joe... and he knew it. too bad he didn't get to go out as he should have.

You're right... but then you have to look at 2005-2011 and ask... is 66-20 so bad that you should think you can't coach? And that said... I'm pretty sure 2011 was the end for joe... and he knew it. too bad he didn't get to go out as he should have.

He could have gone out like he should have if he left when he should have which was 10 years earlier. Instead when PSU
was stinking up the field, Paterno told the fans to "lower their expectations".

You're such a joy.:rolleyes:

Speaking of joy's, how do you feel about the title of this thread? Obviously Paterno and I
didn't always see eye to eye. I was one of those fans that "just didn't get it", "didn't
know what I was talking about" and didn't want to "lower my expectations." But Paterno
did many great things for PSU and I hope he is resting in peace. I just wish those of you that
feel the need to constantly remind everyone of his greatness or what a bum deal he got would
let him do so.

He was 8-1 in his final season. That record disputes not doing the job.

actually, it was looking to be a top 5 type of class. I haev never seen anything to indicate that JVP was actually telling recruits that UM was going to be the next coach. Most of that seemed to come from this list... if you know differently, i'm (of course) interested. But i recall the UM coming here bit as being in the minds of the fans, not psu.
It's something I have heard from several different sources. Supposedly, Meyer had agreed in principal to taking over the PSU job and recruits were being sold on him being here. Paterno was set to retire after the 2011 season and everything was ready to go until the scandal came down. Urbs didn't want to deal with the mess and so he jumped at the opportunity to go to OSU and he took the high-end PSU recruits with him.

Spoiled fans who whine about being ranked "only" 15th nationally are due for a rude awakening.

It's a lot harder to get there (and stay there) than you guys know. We're going to throw a ton of money at football and our record isn't going to be any better than it was under Paterno.

You have your recruiting classes confused. The 2012 class was Paterno's last that he recruited for and it was looking to be a top 15ish type of class. The reason for that was that he was allegedly telling recruits that Urbs was taking over for him after the season. When the scandal hit, most of the high end kids left... many going to OSU with Urban (which gives some credence to what was alleged above). BOB came in and did a pretty decent job in getting a couple of good players in the 11th hour (Trevor Williams, Jordan Lucas were the most notable along with Wendy Laurent). That class finished 51st. The next year BOB had us in the top 10 and we were doing well with several high end recruits before the sanctions came down. Those were all his kids.
This made me wonder when was the last time we had a "normal" recruiting year, without off the field issues or coaching changes that may have hurt the class. 2010?
2011 - scandal breaks, coaches terminated
2012 - sanctions announced, new head coach and staff
2013 - sanctions in place
2014 - new head coach and staff
2015 - coaching changes including OC and DC

This made me wonder when was the last time we had a "normal" recruiting year, without off the field issues or coaching changes that may have hurt the class. 2010?
2011 - scandal breaks, coaches terminated
2012 - sanctions announced, new head coach and staff
2013 - sanctions in place
2014 - new head coach and staff
2015 - coaching changes including OC and DC
Well, something wasn't right with the program in 2010. That was the year (2011 class) that we barely did any recruiting until the 11th and then had to scramble to finish off a poor class. That was also the year that Paterno looked disoriented to the point where people questioned whether he had a stroke.

Taking that into consideration, our last normal recruiting year was probably 2009 (2010 class) which was top 10 on paper IIRC. Unfortunately, that class was a major disappointment on the field and after the sanctions went down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT