ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Shorter.....

Guys he is a five star recruit. He is not even an average football player right now. Parsons is our only 5 star recruit that has played up to the hype. The 5 stars are huge disappointments.

Is that on the player or the imbeciles ranking high school recruits?

Guys he is a five star recruit. He is not even an average football player right now. Parsons is our only 5 star recruit that has played up to the hype. The 5 stars are huge disappointments.

Somebody please tell no. 3 to look the pass rusher in the eyes when he is in pass protection mode. Am sure he didn’t do much of that in high school. Doing the dirty work is one sign of growing in the job and in life.

Really it's not just shorter, it's George and chisena. I don't know WHO you play because all 3 can't catch.

Reactions: wcg207
Really it's not just shorter, it's George and chisena. I don't know WHO you play because all 3 can't catch.
i look at it as the “ X “ WR issue. In the depth chart, Chisena has been backing up Dotson and CSB is still listed as 3rd “ X “ WR, although he hasn’t suited for a game since MD.
We don’t appear to have anybody on the roster who can get us anything at this position this season.
Maybe it’s a development issue and like happened with Gesicki, George or Shorter will dramatically put it together at some point this season or next. Or maybe not.

The comparison to Gesicki does not hold water. Gesicki was having trouble lining up, getting the snap count, knowing the playbook, and isnot a wr. Perhaps the Bryant Johnson comparison works better but honestly thekid just can't catch the football. For me it's more like eddiedrummond

The comparison to Gesicki does not hold water. Gesicki was having trouble lining up, getting the snap count, knowing the playbook, and isnot a wr. Perhaps the Bryant Johnson comparison works better but honestly thekid just can't catch the football. For me it's more like eddiedrummond

Has shorter really shown an inability to catch the football besides 1 or 2 passes against Minny? I am not suggesting he hasn't, I just personally did'nt know whether he was good at catching or not considering we never threw to him.

The reason people compare with Gesicki is specifically because of drops, including some prominent ones in big games...then suddenly he was one of the best pass-catching TE's in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madsol and BFPSU
Bryant Johnson too. Didn't really get it together until his senior year.
I don't think I've ever seen someone go from not being able to catch anything to catching everything that was in his vicinity quite like he did in 2002. He was unreal that year. Got him drafted as well. Cardinals I believe.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Has shorter really shown an inability to catch the football besides 1 or 2 passes against Minny? I am not suggesting he hasn't, I just personally did'nt know whether he was good at catching or not considering we never threw to him.

Fitz said he’s looked timid since his injury - has a hard time asserting himself for such a big, strong receiver. Have to hope the lights go on at some point - he could be a game changer.

Look, right now he is not playing well. Get him a psychologist and get him ready for next year, but you have 4 games left with the bowl game and it's pointless to keep playing a receiver who can't catch.

How many games have Dunmore and Jones played in so far? If it's only 1or 2, why not play them at least vs Indiana to see if they can catch the ball? Then they still have the Bowl game while maintaining a RS.

How many games have Dunmore and Jones played in so far? If it's only 1or 2, why not play them at least vs Indiana to see if they can catch the ball? Then they still have the Bowl game while maintaining a RS.

Good point.

Caught everything on his HS tapes...wonder what happened? My guess is that he is pressing now - trying to line up to his hype.

Look, right now he is not playing well. Get him a psychologist and get him ready for next year, but you have 4 games left with the bowl game and it's pointless to keep playing a receiver who can't catch.
Agree.

I think the “planted” info to ABC about him being featured Saturday was CJF’s and Parker’s way to try and give him a boost of confidence. And then they went way off script and gave him some key targets. But alas all for naught.

I don't think I've ever seen someone go from not being able to catch anything to catching everything that was in his vicinity quite like he did in 2002. He was unreal that year. Got him drafted as well. Cardinals I believe.

I could be wrong (of course) but I think Bryant Johnson was fitted with some contact lenses that helped with his turnaround.

Reactions: Alphabets
Caught everything on his HS tapes...wonder what happened? My guess is that he is pressing now - trying to line up to his hype.
In HS, he was probably so physically dominant that he had a lot of space to make catches. That has all changed now. Maybe that HS situation has actually hurt his development. He may have to basically relearn the position.
The fact that he has been starting either means he can only do it in practice or that we don’t have good options.

Reactions: grinagrin
In HS, he was probably so physically dominant that he had a lot of space to make catches. That has all changed now. Maybe that HS situation has actually hurt his development. He may have to basically relearn the position.
The fact that he has been starting either means he can only do it in practice or that we don’t have good options.
Could be...all is not lost for JS...he has a lot of eligibility left...but if he does not pick it up, he will be bench riding.

Could be...all is not lost for JS...he has a lot of eligibility left...but if he does not pick it up, he will be bench riding.
He should be on the bench now, not later. He is hurting his team. Dan Biondi Took HIMSELF out of the sugar bowl.

OMG NOT the time for anyone to give up on Shorter. He's still had probably fewer than 20 targets in his entire career at Penn State. He is still getting his feet wet. Young receivers are going to play tentatively and be nervous in big situations.

The blame, if you have to assign blame, should be assigned to Rahne for not getting the X more involved in the offense against lesser opponents earlier in the season. The near total absence of the X in game planning has been evident from the beginning of the season. Yes Rahne had a lot of things to worry about, but it's pretty much common sense that you're not going to survive a Big Ten season without using your X receivers. PSU has two good ones -- they needed to use them before yesterday..

Shorter and George can play, there's no question. They have size, they have speed, they have hands. Shorter needs experience, that's all. I think big receivers take longer, on average, because their bodies are still developing coordination. Even if he develops 3x as fast as Gesicki, Shorter is going to drop a lot of passes before he gets it together.

They don't call these skill positions for nothing. It's very difficult skills and then you have to take it from the practice field to being able to perform in front of stadiums full of people. It takes time. Not everybody is a Chris Godwin who was a highly finished product in his 2nd year -- Godwin is an outlier.

The problem with the transfer portal is that it offers an easy way out. Juwan Johnson would have been the senior making those big catches and winning the game on national TV yesterday if he hadn't taken an easy way out. Shorter doesn't sound like he's the type to take the easy way out. I hope he knows that there are plenty of fans out there who believe in him and can't wait for him to become an All-American at Penn State. Continue to work hard, and good thing WILL happen.

I'm no fan of calling out college players. But I also don't think you falsely pump them up. We have seen nothing on the field that suggests that Shorter and George "can play." In no way am I saying to give up on those two but we have to at least acknowledge the glaring weakness that their position presents due to their lack of production.

I'm no fan of calling out college players. But I also don't think you falsely pump them up. We have seen nothing on the field that suggests that Shorter and George "can play." In no way am I saying to give up on those two but we have to at least acknowledge the glaring weakness that their position presents due to their lack of production.

I don't know, who's responsibility is it that "can't play." Two highly regarded kids coming out in High school, top 100 at their position in the country, and they simply can't catch? Again, I have no evidence of them being poor receivers prior to the Minnesota game. I think it is mental and I think the coaches contribute to it, it happened with Johnson too. Simply put, they don't get the ball, especially against weak competition early in the season and then their confidence gets rattled. All of a sudden we are playing a big game, in the cold, on the road and they drop of few.....so it's off to the bench with you bums! For the record, our beloved KJ drops a fair bit of passes and misplays them, but then clifford goes right back to him 3 times and he makes a spectacular play and all is forgotten. Shooters shoot, and they miss a lot and score a lot. I think the worse thing we can do, for two gifted athletes, is send them to the bench and lose all faith in them.

Reactions: Nit Nolte and 81b&w
Yeah but to be fair, the first INT was basically a good punt in the 1st quarter[/B] and shorter’s drop in the end zone didn’t really matter, as we scored a TD a few plays later. The George PI was killer, but seemed like a questionable call. Point being, as bad as the “X” was, other things cost us the game today - terrible pass rush and secondary play, Rahne playcalling, and Clifford missing wide open receivers in the 1st half chief among them

What team punts on first down?

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
Peetz Pool Boy said Shorter smokes a lot of pot.

What do you expect these "kids" to do when half the "adults" in this country think it should be legal? After full legalization occurs half the players will be playing stoned. It could be interesting though, watching a WR stand there looking up for the ball 5 seconds after it bounced off his helmet and hit the ground.

Come to think of it, this could open up a whole new aspect in college athletics. Universities could institute "Bring Your Bong Day" to mask the deficiencies of their teams and fans could nod out while the PA system blares Grateful Dead songs. Everyone goes home happy and the post game b----ing on message boards would all but be eliminated as fans would struggle with trying to remember if they were really there or not let alone recall if their team had a bad performance. Other pluses, image the spike in concession sales and the laid back attitude of drivers stuck for hours in traffic! Imagine Franklin relaxed and smiling on the sidelines as his team commits 12 consecutive delay of game penalties. Or the referee throwing a flag 3 plays too late. It's a win win all around. Just a thought, sometimes it's difficult keeping my mind from "wondering."

Last edited:
I thought Shorter was doing a pretty good job blocking, especially downfield. Also, you need a contribution from Dotson and Shorter/George. Maybe a couple of easy pitch and catch to get them in the game?

I don't know, who's responsibility is it that "can't play." Two highly regarded kids coming out in High school, top 100 at their position in the country, and they simply can't catch? Again, I have no evidence of them being poor receivers prior to the Minnesota game. I think it is mental and I think the coaches contribute to it, it happened with Johnson too. Simply put, they don't get the ball, especially against weak competition early in the season and then their confidence gets rattled. All of a sudden we are playing a big game, in the cold, on the road and they drop of few.....so it's off to the bench with you bums! For the record, our beloved KJ drops a fair bit of passes and misplays them, but then clifford goes right back to him 3 times and he makes a spectacular play and all is forgotten. Shooters shoot, and they miss a lot and score a lot. I think the worse thing we can do, for two gifted athletes, is send them to the bench and lose all faith in them.

In their play on the field, I've never once seen either of them exhibit "it". Not once. Not one moment where I said "wow, they're going to be exciting when they figure it all out."

I remember the 2005 Blue White game seeing Derrick Williams and Justin King for the first time. It was obvious from the way they were moving on the field that they were both a different breed of cat athlete wise. I've never gotten that sense from Shorter or George. Doesn't mean they can't become big parts of the offense. But to this point, I don't think there is any evidence that they can be big time playmakers. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Fitz said he’s looked timid since his injury - has a hard time asserting himself for such a big, strong receiver. Have to hope the lights go on at some point - he could be a game changer.
Many are attempting to minimize this topic to one simple question: Can he play, Yes or No?

...but this take above ^^^^^^^^^ is actually both reasonable and logical...and it would mean that the answer to the Yes or No question will likely change as "time since injury" increases due to the confidence associated with not getting re-injured upon exertion.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
In their play on the field, I've never once seen either of them exhibit "it". Not once. Not one moment where I said "wow, they're going to be exciting when they figure it all out."

I remember the 2005 Blue White game seeing Derrick Williams and Justin King for the first time. It was obvious from the way they were moving on the field that they were both a different breed of cat athlete wise. I've never gotten that sense from Shorter or George. Doesn't mean they can't become big parts of the offense. But to this point, I don't think there is any evidence that they can be big time playmakers. Just my opinion.
Guys like ARob, Hamilton, Godwin, Blacknall etc you could see early on that they were special players. Outside of Hamler and Dotson, we don’t have anything like that this year with our WR group.
It might take a year or two, but this will start sorting itself out with the 2020 class, I would think.

He's gotta get more aggressive in going after the ball when it is in the air. Guys like Hamilton, Godwin, even Blacknall would have never let that first INT happen. They would have gone up and won that ball.

This X10000. Shorter is 6’4” 230 pounds. He just drifted away from the ball and let it come to him. He had plenty of time to adjust and attack that ball. That was a gimmie catch for the receivers you mentioned.
Shorter has still not made the transition from high school to Div. 1 football. I still think that will happen,but it's frustrating to watch and wait.

No doubt he needs to be better there, but Clifford underthrew that ball by 7 yards. Good pass is an easy TD.
I cant believe that Clifford's stats are supposedly better then Traces. I guess stats aren't everything. Clifford frustrates me, he lacks pocket presence, cant feel pressure and his decision to run is always 1/2 second late. These thing are not taught. You have it,or you don't. Oh, and I cant believe they called a keep on that last drive. A very soft runner, he will go into an awkward hook slide before the goal line if he is going to get hit. What and the heck is Rahneeee thinking.

He's gotta get more aggressive in going after the ball when it is in the air. Guys like Hamilton, Godwin, even Blacknall would have never let that first INT happen. They would have gone up and won that ball.
All our receivers have this issue.

Yeah but to be fair, the first INT was basically a good punt in the 1st quarter and shorter’s drop in the end zone didn’t really matter, as we scored a TD a few plays later. The George PI was killer, but seemed like a questionable call. Point being, as bad as the “X” was, other things cost us the game today - terrible pass rush and secondary play, Rahne playcalling, and Clifford missing wide open receivers in the 1st half chief among them
I agree with you on the PI call, but the team should have never been in a position to allow that call influence a win or loss. Shame on them.

They’re kids folks. Blame the coaches, they’re at least grownups. Calling out kids is a bad look for this fan base.
I use to think the same way, but these kids are getting more than any other kids before them to play this game. Going to school for FREE was not enough. Now they get stipends $5,000 and soon will be able to profit from their likeness etc... Its not a game anymore,its a business. They better toughen up and get use to the criticism. Hey, I have been told by players their age "I'm a grown ass man."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT