ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Shorter.....

It was one game, and the first that he was actually targeted...not an excuse...but there is no reason that he couldn’t clean it up, especially considering the fact that PSU’s best, most targeted receiver has had drops that didn’t impact his play thereafter.

Reminds me of early Gesicki...maybe light will go on...but in the meantime, others deserve a chance.
I was going to say the same thing.
We don’t know if he is more like Gesicki or Irv Charles at this point.
I think it is time next week to play some of the true freshman WR’s at the “ X “ position now that freshman can play four games and still RS. Of course, I have not seen practices and I can only hope some of them are at least average.

Reminds me of early Gesicki...maybe light will go on...but in the meantime, others deserve a chance.
Bryant Johnson too. Didn't really get it together until his senior year.

The 2 years to develop hands model is good if a team wants to compete for titles every few years. But teams that recruit at at top 10 level and develop players leave those that are not ready for prime time on the bench until they prove in practice that they can consistently make plays. And when they get a chance and show by a couple of drops that they are not ready for prime time they are replaced in games. But about all that I can say right now is that Shorter and George are not ready for prime time but there is no one that can catch to put in. I'm hoping that changes next season, and that the first time Shorter drops one next season that Lambert (or another young player that can catch) goes in to the game and never comes out.

Right now the WR depth looks good on paper but not on Saturday afternoons.... :(

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing.
We don’t know if he is more like Gesicki or Irv Charles at this point.
I think it is time next week to play some of the true freshman WR’s at the “ X “ position now that freshman can play four games and still RS. Of course, I have not seen practices and I can only hope some of them are at least average.
Agree...again, based upon what we know/have seen

Shorter dropped a pass on the first play of the game. Then he dropped a pass in the end zone in the 3rd quarter.

Chisena also missed a ball at the minnesota four yard line or so. It hit his helmet.

It’s hard to win with these mistakes (and several others on offense and defense).

You are assuming he catches it...been a tough year for him.
There was a play where Clifford made a tremendous throw to Friermuth for a first down while running to his left. Shorter was standing wide open in the end zone on the play. I have to wonder if Clifford would have made the same receiver choice if he had an easier throw. Based on what usually happens when Shorter is targeted, I would say yes.

Fade routes to our shortest receiver in the end zone x 2 will cure the drops. ;)
Yeah thought the red zone play calling was really poor. One drive we passed it all the way down the field then ran the ball three times and then threw a fade to our smallest receiver. Were were shredding them with pass and just amazingly threw one in the last four downs.

There was a play where Clifford made a tremendous throw to Friermuth for a first down while running to his left. Shorter was standing wide open in the end zone on the play. I have to wonder if Clifford would have made the same receiver choice if he had an easier throw. Based on what usually happens when Shorter is targeted, I would say yes.
no way did clif see 6 on that play - if he did the ball would have gone to 6

Guys he is a five star recruit. He is not even an average football player right now. Parsons is our only 5 star recruit that has played up to the hype. The 5 stars are huge disappointments.
In all fairness, he's a redshirt freshman, correct? How many times before 2012 did guys with his experience start? Not only here, but across the country.

He's gotta get more aggressive in going after the ball when it is in the air. Guys like Hamilton, Godwin, even Blacknall would have never let that first INT happen. They would have gone up and won that ball.
It’s kind of like in basketball, if your guy is going in for a layup foul him good so he misses the shot.

Shorter dropped a pass on the first play of the game. Then he dropped a pass in the end zone in the 3rd quarter.

Chisena also missed a ball at the minnesota four yard line or so. It hit his helmet.

It’s hard to win with these mistakes (and several others on offense and defense).
6 drops on the day in total. 2 red zone turnovers. Missed open men by Cliff.

Too many mistakes today to win on the road against a good team. Shorter, however, is a liability right now and needs to sit down and watch.

Chisena (why do they still throw to him?) and George also has bad drops...... FWIW
Clearly the most disappointing aspect of the offense (IMHO). The tall WRs fail to high point passes. Dropped passes. And there seems to be no improvement as the season progresses. That is concerning.

Today, this is what we got out of the WR “ X “ position : five drops, an interception on a contested catch, a dropped TD and a PI penalty that ended the winning TD drive.
On the positive side, we got one catch for eight yards and one catch for twenty yards. Blocking wasn’t tracked, so maybe there were some contributions.
This should not be lost on JF, Rahne and Parker. This position has produced almost nothing for our offense all season long and actually hurt us badly today. I suppose there was an anticipated problem this year with the efforts to bring in transfers to play this position and granting Chisena a scholarship.
I just hope JF is looking to the portal for next season at WR, because if Hamler leaves, our passing offense is really screwed.

Today, this is what we got out of the WR “ X “ position : five drops, an interception on a contested catch, a dropped TD and a PI penalty that ended the winning TD drive.
On the positive side, we got one catch for eight yards. Blocking wasn’t tracked, so maybe there were some contributions.
This should not be lost on JF, Rahne and Parker. This position has produced almost nothing for our offense all season long and actually hurt us badly today. I suppose there was an anticipated problem this year with the efforts to bring in transfers to play this position and granting Chisena a scholarship.
I just hope JF is looking to the portal for next season at WR, because if Hamler leaves, our passing offense is really screwed.
Interesting. Maybe they need to run 12 personnel more often. Bowers and Pat seem to catch everything. I share your concerns for next season. Hopefully 1 or 2 of the freshman step up and the portal presents some opportunities.

I like the Gesicki comparison. He will learn from this and become a stud.
I like it too but comparing to past WRs Bryant Johnson could be a key example. I remember never wanting to see Bryant near the offensive side of the ball ever again. That sure changed. Hopefully the same with Justin.

Franklin sucks at coaching players. Hammer had 3 or 4 drops today he stilled play. Shit he muffed another punt.
If you think Hamler is a liability for us, you know less about football than anybody on this board, which says a lot.
We have some definite liabilities at WR, but Hamler is not one of them.
By the way, if you look at the muffed punt, you will see Hamler was bumped by his own player just before catching the ball.

If you think Hamler is a liability for us, you know less about football than anybody on this board, which says a lot.
We have some definite liabilities at WR, but Hamler is not one of them.
By the way, if you look at the muffed punt, you will see Hamler was bumped by his own player just before catching the ball.
Don’t know why people think hammler is holier than thou, the offense would be more efficient without him. Yes he had a nice return against app state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT