ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State hires Vanderbilt's Justin Lustig as Special Teams Coordinator

Lmao. How In the hell is this a "good hire"?

We now have the "good hire" wr coach from that bastion of passing prolific performance... VIRGINIA and that perennial winner VANDERBILT and their awesome special teams that factor greatly in their routine 3-9 seasons.

🤣"Good hire" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24

We now have the "good hire" wr coach from that bastion of passing prolific performance... VIRGINIA and that perennial winner VANDERBILT and their awesome special teams that factor greatly in their routine 3-9 seasons.

🤣"Good hire" 😂
Did you read the article? At Vandy, with very little talent to work with....

"...he was a Broyles Award nominee in 2018 and has worked with 53 all-conference selections including the 2018 Lou Groza Award winner Andre Szmyt, 2023 Ray Guy Award finalist Matthew Hayball, and also two-time All-SEC long snapper Wesley Schelling."
The article goes on to give a full accounting of Vandy's special teams accomplishment while he was coaching there.

ST coaches are tough to hire because they all want to move on and up. So few have good resumes and still will take a ST position. More likely, you'll promote a position coach to STs. And, of course, they have no track record as STs coach. So getting a guy who excelled at Vandy with very little talent is about as good as you can do short up promoting an analyst.

"...he was a Broyles Award nominee in 2018 and has worked with 53 all-conference selections including the 2018 Lou Groza Award winner Andre Szmyt, 2023 Ray Guy Award finalist Matthew Hayball, and also two-time All-SEC long snapper Wesley Schelling."
The article goes on to give a full accounting of Vandy's special teams accomplishment while he was coaching there.

ST coaches are tough to hire because they all want to move on and up. So few have good resumes and still will take a ST position. More likely, you'll promote a position coach to STs. And, of course, they have no track record as STs coach. So getting a guy who excelled at Vandy with very little talent is about as good as you can do short up promoting an analyst.
Gunsie don't have time for that fancy reading thing

You expect that lune to read?

If it isn't a picture book he takes a hard pass on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Wow this is a home run! Lustig is one of the best ST coordinators in all of CFB. His special teams have been among the best in the country at Syracuse and Vanderbilt. He’s had the best kicker and punter in the SEC as well as LS and his Syracuse STs lead the country in return defense. Franklin has the coordinators now next year is on him if we don’t at least make the playoff.

🤣"Good hire" 😂
ST’s is not an X’ and 0’s intensive position. Scheme is not unimportant, but motivating players and execution are much more important. ST guys also have to be good recruiters, which he is by all accounts.

ST’s is not an X’ and 0’s intensive position. Scheme is not unimportant, but motivating players and execution are much more important. ST guys also have to be good recruiters, which he is by all accounts.
What? Vandy is 3-9 every year.

Vanderbilt has been terrible forever, their best seasons were the two 9 win seasons under Franklin. The fact that Lustig had the best STs in the SEC when they punted more than anyone and settled for FGs is even more impressive. Not sure how you can think this isn’t a great hire.

Is that because of Special Teams? if not why is that important for this hire? - do you have info that their losses were due to poor Special Teams play and coaching if not just seems like you are a hater.

Is that because of Special Teams? if not why is that important for this hire? - do you have info that their losses were due to poor Special Teams play and coaching if not just seems like you are a hater.
I hate losing to Ohio State and Michigan every year. So yeah, I guess I am a hater. How about you apologist?

I hate losing to Ohio State and Michigan every year. So yeah, I guess I am a hater. How about you apologist?
Yeah it sucks losing to OSU and Michigan almost every year, 3 wins against UM and 1 against OSU the past ten years is not acceptable. Some of the hate is justified, but not for this hire.

Um and that has what to do with a ST hire - it blows losing to OSE and UM every year and Franklin needs to be accountable but that has zero to do with ripping on a ST hire when there is zero to indicate that it is a bad one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT