ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Worlds

Have we ever had such a good jr. team? Pretty incredible what this team has done!

All 4 Americans in the finals. Three Russians and one Iranian in the finals. It is a two way battle for the team Gold.....USA needs to win two Golds to be the team champ. I say they do it!

We can do this at the Olympic level... We just need to continue to develop, invest, and grow these styles in the US. Do you think Gable Steveson is wrestling folkstyle in May? Hell no, he ain't.

Question for you guys. I know who Fix, Zahid, and Gable are. What can you guys tell me (us) about Deakin?
Thanks

What can you guys tell me (us) about Deakin?

Deakin was 5th at Fargo his senior year. Then, apparently, the light came on during redshirt at Northwestern. 3rd at Midlands last year, and - going from memory - worked everyone at Vegas in April. Plus 2-0 over Lugo at Junior trials.

Reactions: garw
In PA it's pretty much Freestyle all summer long. Idk who is wrestling Folk in the summer in this state. NHSCA and Flonats are at a bad time

Maybe Deakin was young for his grade. No idea how old he is. Edit * I guess I should say late maturing as opposed to young for grade since freestyle is age based. Still tho very possible he's just a late bloomer

Last edited:
Reactions: garw
In PA it's pretty much Freestyle all summer long. Idk who is wrestling Folk in the summer in this state. NHSCA and Flonats are at a bad time
Between Folk National Tournaments and then club duals, later, etc. The freestyle tournaments season at the grassroots levels is almost nil, nowadays. We need to grow this. We need kids wanting to grow up to want to be the guys that we have now. Exposure to it is crucial.

BUT, I'm off this. This is about our Junior team and their stellar performance, so far. This isn't fair to them, and I apologize. Got a little excited, there.

Reactions: chalkstream1
"Like"ing someone else's post doesn't seem to be "THANKS" enough for those that did pbp and providing updates.

Yinz are awesome!! Much appreciated.

Reactions: dwkeller
Jackson may just not be a good general (college HC) but you cant argue his results as wrestler and FS coach making him a helluva field colonel

Jackson may just not be a good general (college HC) but you cant argue his results as wrestler and FS coach making him a helluva field colonel

Don't do that. Jackson deserves no credit for this run. He's been there, what? 3 months, max? He was not a good HC for the freestyle team either. This is all Zeke Jones. Period. His vision.

Just a head's up:
While I'm glad you guys enjoy the PBP a few of us have tried to provide, I won't be able to continue, this week. I leave for a fishing trip tomorrow (Who the hell schedules a fishing trip over major events? When did I start fishing? I don't know.).

Reactions: dwkeller and VRE
Just a head's up:
While I'm glad you guys enjoy the PBP a few of us have tried to provide, I won't be able to continue, this week. I leave for a fishing trip tomorrow (Who the hell schedules a fishing trip over major events? When did I start fishing? I don't know.).

Thanks for all the lines you threw out at worlds.

Keep us posted if you score any big match wins against the Fins.

Last edited:
Don't do that. Jackson deserves no credit for this run. He's been there, what? 3 months, max? He was not a good HC for the freestyle team either. This is all Zeke Jones. Period. His vision.

Zeke is a part of it. you can give Zeke credit for the vision (I dont think he sat in a room by himself and dreamed up this scenario), but he alone did not make this happen. Zeke benefited to a small extent from the rebirth of USA wrestling following the olympic fiasco, which involved all kinds of people finally pulling the rope in a single direction.

Jackson has been with USA freestyle for a long time, at least what 15+ years in varying capacities. You can argue his results, but his failure in the 00's were a combination of many-many things, from foxcatcher to dearth of money to young kids not being pushed in the olympic techniques.

He might be a terrible HC, but I dont see why credit cant be given when he walks the path to the mat with many of these guys and they believe in him.

I would probably walk with you on this class of kids may be generational talents and thus skew the results, but I cant just say Jackson sucks and zeke gets all the credit. Otherwise we can peacefully agree to disagree and celebrate what we got.

Just a head's up:
If you are flyfishing for salmon in Finland, there is another thread that could use some updates!;)

But seriously, thanks for all the PBP!

Zeke is a part of it. you can give Zeke credit for the vision (I dont think he sat in a room by himself and dreamed up this scenario), but he alone did not make this happen. Zeke benefited to a small extent from the rebirth of USA wrestling following the olympic fiasco, which involved all kinds of people finally pulling the rope in a single direction.

Jackson has been with USA freestyle for a long time, at least what 15+ years in varying capacities. You can argue his results, but his failure in the 00's were a combination of many-many things, from foxcatcher to dearth of money to young kids not being pushed in the olympic techniques.

He might be a terrible HC, but I dont see why credit cant be given when he walks the path to the mat with many of these guys and they believe in him.

I would probably walk with you on this class of kids may be generational talents and thus skew the results, but I cant just say Jackson sucks and zeke gets all the credit. Otherwise we can peacefully agree to disagree and celebrate what we got.
At the very least we can say is that Jackson has not screwed them up. Just like certain fan bases like to say Cael can't coach, he just has incredible talent. At a minimum Cael is not screwing up that talent.

No matter the sport, that is the sign of a solid coach at a minimum.

Spyker has told us repeatedly that Zeke can't coach and his wrestlers regress, so it can't be him.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
What a performance.....Zahid looks like a monster with all that added muscle, anybody think he goes 97, is that what the twitter handle implies? Give me Fix vs anyone, including Spencer Lee in free or folk.

Reactions: dwkeller and VRE
Jackson gets no credit. He was gifted these athletes. If the Junior team is still at this level in 5 years he gets credit, but these guys were the work/vision of Zeke, Zadick, and Brandon Slay plus their individual coaches.

It's like saying Jackson was a good NCAA coach because he took NCAA third his first year at ISU. Nevermind he walked into a team with Varner, Zabriskie, Reader, Long, etc.

Speaking from ignorance somewhat because I don't know everyone's precise role here, but I think whatever credit is to be doled out organizationally is mitigated somewhat by the fact that these kids owe most of their wrestling growth to other coaches, many who work their corners in these matches. I'm not saying Jones or Jackson are doing a bad job because something's obviously going right, but I'm looking at Mark Hall and thinking he came to the party with (his hips and) enough skill to win it on his own, and Cael and Casey cleaned up the loose edges. Similar with Fix. Aren't Jones and Jackson coaching/managing what amounts to an all-star team of guys whose games were fairly formed before coming to camp? But again, I don't know what I'm really talking about but am happy to get educated.

Reactions: chalkstream1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT