ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Fleming

The good news about his verbal commitment this week is that it will end the drama of watching this one play out in the newspapers and on the message boards. I’m guessing the kid didn’t want it that way, so props to him for making his decision early and allowing everyone to focus on the big picture and not a prolonged, drama filled recruitment, as many top recruits choose to do.

Exactly. This is much better than a top local player that plays out his recruiting with the staff holding a spot for him, and then chooses to go some where else. CJF and his staff have lots of irons in the fire for WR's and plenty of time to get commitments and LOI's from WR's in the 2020 class and form a very good 2020 WR class.....

Last edited:
I'd like to hear who broke up with who when it comes to the gf situation. Seems as soon as that relationship went south he was all about the Buckeyes. If he broke up, then smart business decision.....if she did we should be bashing her! IM KIDDING.

Look, the kid made a business decision. He will play sooner at OSU due to tougher competition at Penn State, the academic expectations are lower as are expectations about going to class. Penn State is not for everyone. Good luck to the young man

It’s a cop out to act like every time we lose someone it must have something to do with our academic requirements. For all you know the kid is very serious about his academics and that played no role in his decision, so why assume it was a factor? So we can feel better about losing him?

Reactions: WDLion and Profit1
Look, the kid made a business decision. He will play sooner at OSU due to tougher competition at Penn State, the academic expectations are lower as are expectations about going to class. Penn State is not for everyone. Good luck to the young man
You literally don't know what you're talking about. Zero insight into either program. US News and World Report Rankings PSU - #59 OSU - #56.

Reactions: BucksLAN and Grisle

Julian! Julian! What will we do without you? How will we survive?

tenor.gif

Reactions: LionJim and wbcincy
Now that Fleming has gone to the dark side, do we need a Michael Carmody thread to generate angst until NLI day? He's now the highest unsigned player in the 2020 class in PA and one of our top targets.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Now that Fleming has gone to the dark side, do we need a Michael Carmody thread to generate angst until NLI day? He's now the highest unsigned player in the 2020 class in PA and one of our top targets.

Carmody isn't coming to Penn State either. Looks like OSU or Notre Dame. He comes from a Notre Dame family. We have a great OL class already, and several other OT targets that are just as high on our board. But I'd be disappointed if we don't get the snowflakes freaking out when he goes somewhere else.

Carmody isn't coming to Penn State either. Looks like OSU or Notre Dame. He comes from a Notre Dame family. We have a great OL class already, and several other OT targets that are just as high on our board. But I'd be disappointed if we don't get the snowflakes freaking out when he goes somewhere else.

This should really be everyone's attitude wrt recruiting (even the misses are fun...)....

thank-u-next.gif

I'd like to hear who broke up with who when it comes to the gf situation. Seems as soon as that relationship went south he was all about the Buckeyes. If he broke up, then smart business decision.....if she did we should be bashing her! IM KIDDING.
Just a thought, but I was thinking about it a little differently. Yes, by all accounts, it seemed that they went south right around the time that he was all tOSU. My speculation is that he told her then that he was going to tOSU and she basically told him that if we’re not going to be together at PSU, to hit the road.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Fleming picking OSU definitely sucks-and it looks like the St Joes Prep duo to OSU next year. That’s three big time players from eastern PA over two years

When was the last time one of our players said, "I didn't come here to play school."??
That was Cardale Jones of Ohio State who said it. He also scored higher than PSU's then-QB Christian Hackenberg on the NFL's Wonderlic intelligence test.

Jones completed his course work and graduated from OSU. Did Hackenberg graduate from PSU?

That was Cardale Jones of Ohio State who said it. He also scored higher than PSU's then-QB Christian Hackenberg on the NFL's Wonderlic intelligence test.

Jones completed his course work and graduated from OSU. Did Hackenberg graduate from PSU?

What does any of that have to do with him having made the statement.

FWIW, it appears that Clemson was likely his 2nd choice had he not committed to OSU. It’s only speculation at this juncture, but just thought it was worth noting. See below for ESPN.

ESPN:

His recruitment has gone back and forth, and for quite some time many believed that he would add to Clemson's impressive recruiting class. So much so that Fleming was recruited by the current Clemson commits and had to break the news to his peers that he wouldn't be joining them in college.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm still in their group chat," Fleming said. "They were all recruiting me really hard, but they understood and respected my decision, and once I told them I wasn't going to Clemson, they all said good luck. I talk to D.J. [Uiagalelei] all the time, and he's one of those kind-hearted people that was just like, 'You're going to do it wherever you go,' so that was a cool thing."

What does any of that have to do with him having made the statement.
It has no relevance to anything, but this is an internet message board so why should relevancy be relevant!

That said, I find it ironic that Jones's tweet is being used as evidence that OSU doesn't require football players to go to class. That, in fact, appears to be the genesis of his complaint!

This just in:

University Park, PA -- Penn State Athletic Director Sandy Barbour announced today that the Nittany Lions' 2019 football season has been canceled as a result of "recent recruiting failures." The announcement comes on the heels of top in-state prospect Julian Fleming today announcing his commitment to rival Ohio State. Barbour went on to say that, "Our proud program is not in a position to compete at the level that our fans, alumni, and the Penn State community expect. As a result, we feel it is best to focus on rebuilding the program before competing on the football field." Barbour did not provide details on the rebuilding process. When asked about 2020 and beyond, Barbour said, "We'll take a wait-and-see approach going forward."

I find it ironic that some Bucknut - a fan boy of a program where 2/3 of its AfAm "student athletes" DON'T graduate...…. and who's academic record for "student athletes" is not only the lowest in the BigTen, but is an extreme outlier compared to even the second-worst program - finds it wise to come slobbering over to the Dinner Bell of the BWI Board to pull his pud over OSU's "student-athlete" academic track record.

Yep. That's what I find ironic :)

th
You must be fun at parties.

On Eleven Warriors, they were bashing the hell out of Carman. He was called everything in the book.
Jackson Carman handled his recruitment a lot differently than Fleming did though. OSU actually landed a better tackle in Nicholas Petit-Frier leading up to NSD so its all moot. Carman was a diva that loved playing the recruiting game.

Jackson Carman handled his recruitment a lot differently than Fleming did though. OSU actually landed a better tackle in Nicholas Petit-Frier leading up to NSD so its all moot. Carman was a diva that loved playing the recruiting game.

Every program always lands a better player than the one that got away. We’ll soon pick up a receiver better than Fleming, you picked up a tackle better than Carman. It’s the way recruiting works.

Reactions: grinagrin
You literally don't know what you're talking about. Zero insight into either program. US News and World Report Rankings PSU - #59 OSU - #56.
Settled down Bevis... I actually am very familiar with the general academic rankings of both as my daughter is a senior in HS. I am speaking of the academic rigors and expectations placed upon members of the respective football programs. If you think those are equal than you are an idiot. Sorry.

Every program always lands a better player than the one that got away. We’ll soon pick up a receiver better than Fleming, you picked up a tackle better than Carman. It’s the way recruiting works.
Except that we actually did, you can check the rankings. NPF was a 5* tackle ranked near the top 5. We probably don't land him if we missed out on Carman.

Settled down Bevis... I actually am very familiar with the general academic rankings of both as my daughter is a senior in HS. I am speaking of the academic rigors and expectations placed upon members of the respective football programs. If you think those are equal than you are an idiot. Sorry.
Actually I believe the comments from Profit1 regarding academic rankings are an infinitesimal facet of the complete body of work that would clearly classify him as an idiot.

Reactions: step.eng69
Nice try at deflection... Guess you can't dispute his facts? Thanks for playing... Troll Alert...
I was reacting to his attempted deflection from my point, but whatever.

And for the record, I would prefer OSU to put more emphasis on graduating its players, but I believe the GSR and other published grad rates are mostly unhelpful and inaccurate stats. Only going to get less relevant with the expansion of the transfer rules, I would imagine.

Except that we actually did, you can check the rankings. NPF was a 5* tackle ranked near the top 5. We probably don't land him if we missed out on Carman.

No, you don’t know that. You know that you got a guy ranked higher, but you don’t know that player will be a better player than the one you lost. Penn State will get a receiver that fans will justifiably be able to say is better than Fleming. Doesn’t mean that it will show in the field.
Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: grinagrin
Fleming's recruitment might not be over yet. I have a feeling that Jim and UM will try to flip this kid down the road especially after he sees the mind-boggling passing numbers Shea Patterson and his NFL destined receivers - Peoples-Jones, Collins and Black - put up in 2019. They're without a doubt the best receiving group in the country. I believe all three receivers will be 1st or 2nd round picks when they choose to leave UM. What HS receiver wouldn't want to be part of a program like that ? Fleming will take notice hopefully flip to Jim when the time comes.

Reactions: burghBuck
Fleming's recruitment might not be over yet. I have a feeling that Jim and UM will try to flip this kid down the road especially after he sees the mind-boggling passing numbers Shea Patterson and his NFL destined receivers - Peoples-Jones, Collins and Black - put up in 2019. They're without a doubt the best receiving group in the country. I believe all three receivers will be 1st or 2nd round picks when they choose to leave UM. What HS receiver wouldn't want to be part of a program like that ? Fleming will take notice hopefully flip to Jim when the time comes.

ZSoz2iv.jpg

“I have never eaten a booger in my entire life,” Harbaugh said. “It might have looked like that was happening. But if you rub your nose and then you bite your fingernail, that’s not eating a booger. There was no booger eaten.

“For clarity here, for the record, I have never eaten a booger in my entire life.”

Only problem with that is Fleming won't know which Michigan QB would be throwing him the ball as jimbo will be looking in the transfer portal for Patterson's replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT