ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Fleming

You never what a guy will do as a head coach until they are a head coach. Ohio State has got quite a machine running so I would be surprised if they completely fell apart but I would also be surprised to see the same level of success.

Switch the sides of the ball and all of the things being said about Day now were being asserted about Luke Fickel at one point. He was a “genius, up and coming head coach and they wouldn’t miss a beat because he’s an elite recruiter.” The problem with having a propaganda machine is that your fans believe every word you say until they don’t see the next Meyer. Then they fire up the torches and look for the pitchforks.

But it is not a reach to say your entire QB room opting to leave with eligibility remaining is concerning. People here would be freaking out if that occurred at Penn State.

I have no idea what went down with Martell, but obviously he wants to play and for some reason wasn't certain he'd play at OSU. We kinda did have this happen with Stevens -- the presumed starter decided to transfer. Probably because he wasn't going to be the starter. I'd assume the same about Martell. And maybe Martell also realized the offense would be different and would no longer be a fit for his skill set.

QB recruit who committed now to Michigan claiming that Day lied to him. How many data points are required to get concerned?

This would concern me. Possibly just a misunderstanding. But I'd be at least a little concerned if a 5 star QB was claiming our head coach lied to him.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The two points you are pairing together are not mutually exclusive. I know the other poster tied them together, but to be clear, I don't think Fleming is going there because he was guaranteed playing time. However, that does not mean he wasn't, and it does not mean that a lot of colleges don't guarantee playing time. Clearly coach has heard that some he is recruiting against are doing that or he wouldn't have said it.

As you say Fleming likes OSU better. He can do him, but my point is that you said colleges don't guarantee playing time and just this week our coach said they do.
I am not convinced. A coach may suggest that because of lack of depth or experience etc. at his school.....recruit x has a chance to see the field more or sooner than at school Y. But, no one is Guaranteeing playing time. Have you ever seen a player who flops say,"I'm leaving because Coach Jock Guaranteed me playing time?" If you and others believe this is a widespread practice.....that's fine. We just agree to disagree. PSU is not losing recruits because other schools are "Guaranteeing" playing time and CJF is not.

Since it seems as though Fleming is headed to Tosu, the real question now is how Franklin will deal with the latest barrage of OUTRAGE. :eek: from us (and people who look like us). The obviously implication being that Franklin, (a) is aware of our OUTRAGE. :eek: , and (b) is influenced by our OUTRAGE. :eek: , either positively or negatively.

Let's see how Franklin responds.
I hear his response will be to take his kids to Knoebel's.......any gestures he makes when he cruises past Southern will remain a secret.

That is an excellent, concise and totally accurate “ portrait “ of the recruiting process, well done . And while we’re still in the artistic vein, great painters such as Sweeney, Saban, Meyer, Franklin et al also have another advantage. Once they have perfected their craft, they get to paint and display their work for prospects in the Worlds great athletic museums.
Guys like Narduzzi who never progress past painting Elvis on velvet are relegated to the flea markets of athletic art galleries. This also provides the masters with an added often insurmountable advantage.
Unfortunately, we have too many art critics who don’t understand this and just start screaming “ bag man “ whenever any work in progress fails to arrive at their favorite museum.
Even high school coaches must recruit in their hallways. If you have a vision, you need to be able to express it and sell it to students and their parents. CJF does it very well and he is very passionate about it and it sells very well with many parents. As an aside.....it has to go deeper than winning games and helping a player achieve his athletic dreams. Joe understood this and lived it...Success With Honor. When I retired at the school district where I worked for 37 years, the Superintendent of Schools, the Asst. Superintendent and 3 school board members were all former players of mine. Only one of them went on to play college football. I don't think any of them regretted their years of HS football, and in fact are very proud of the experience.

Please reread the post you quoted. We agree on this part. You don’t seem capable of separating the issues.
I don't believe college coaches "guarantee" playing time....period. I believe that money changing hands is much more prevalent. Again, my last word on this. Its okay if you and others think I'm wrong.

It seems to me that Fleming is playing this very close to the vest and that everywhere he goes he's respectfully affectionate toward each programs. Seems the beat writers view this each time as "leaning" toward the program. I really don't think we have a good read...it could be any one of the three programs.

It seems to me that Fleming is playing this very close to the vest and that everywhere he goes he's respectfully affectionate toward each programs. Seems the beat writers view this each time as "leaning" toward the program. I really don't think we have a good read...it could be any one of the three programs.
Hartline was the only coach to show at his track meet the other week. I think it’s actually pretty obvious

It may not be the same, but I wouldn't count either of them as losses, except in comedy relief. But have no fear, Bushwood will be back as soon as the CAPS LOCK key on his computer is fixed.
I like the comedy. I hope you're right. The other one is back. I just hadn't been on enough lately to notice.

Reactions: sluggo72
I have no idea what went down with Martell, but obviously he wants to play and for some reason wasn't certain he'd play at OSU. We kinda did have this happen with Stevens -- the presumed starter decided to transfer. Probably because he wasn't going to be the starter. I'd assume the same about Martell. And maybe Martell also realized the offense would be different and would no longer be a fit for his skill set.

This would concern me. Possibly just a misunderstanding. But I'd be at least a little concerned if a 5 star QB was claiming our head coach lied to him.

Martell gave an interview recently where he said that OSU and Day told him he should transfer.

Franklin has done a remarkable job recruiting given the mess he walked into when he took over, but you simply aren’t being objective if you consider losing Fleming to Ohio State to be anything but a total recruiting failure.

So much for “Dominate the State”...

Franklin has done a remarkable job recruiting given the mess he walked into when he took over, but you simply aren’t being objective if you consider losing Fleming to Ohio State to be anything but a total recruiting failure.

Really? Not sure if this is sarcasm.... but JF misses out on 1 recruit in PA and it is a total recruiting failure? Come on one would hope you know you are just not going to get every kid PSU wants. Some kids for a myriad of reasons will want to go to other schools. PSU is loaded at WR. This is one area where this is not a total recruiting failure.

you simply aren’t being objective if you consider losing Fleming to Ohio State to be anything but a total recruiting failure.

Good lord. You simply aren't being realistic if you expect PSU to get every single kid it wants from PA.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Really? Not sure if this is sarcasm.... but JF misses out on 1 recruit in PA and it is a total recruiting failure? Come on one would hope you know you are just not going to get every kid PSU wants. Some kids for a myriad of reasons will want to go to other schools. PSU is loaded at WR. This is one area where this is not a total recruiting failure.

You do realize ST8FAN is a troll, right??

Well done!! We kind of expected an even less mature response from you.

Stop being a f#cking baby. We have a Top Ten class now. According to 247, we've had two straight classes in the Top 6 in the country. You are a moron if you think Franklin should be called a failure over one recruit. You suck as a fan.

As we saw with Parsons, it isn’t a sure thing until a recruit signs ( even then, it isn’t sure with transfer rules ).
I expect JF to not burn any bridges with Fleming if he commits elsewhere at this point.

[sigh] Franklin came in and said that would be the goal every year. It still is. I'm not so sure that missing on one guy (which has not happened in this case) even qualifies as not dominating the state.

Reactions: mn78psu83
What time is this going down so I know to stay away

What? This will be the best free entertainment of the day...

tenor.gif

Reactions: LionJim

What is JF supposed to do, hold the family hostage until he commits to PSU?

Looks like OSU, PSU still has plenty of talent on the roster and this recruiting class to beat the likes of OSU, UM and MSU. Just coach them up

Some of you people really need to find yourselves a new hobby.

I don't recall seeing all this nonsense at 11W when Carman picked Clemson over OSU last year.

On Eleven Warriors, they were bashing the hell out of Carman. He was called everything in the book.

Reactions: bmw199
Some of you people really need to find yourselves a new hobby.

I don't recall seeing all this nonsense at 11W when Carman picked Clemson over OSU last year.

The behavior of the average osu fan is certainly not a standard I would hold myself to.

Reactions: OhioLion
I haven't read ONE comment from a PSU fan bashing Fleming. Difference in class between the two fanbases. We just attack our coach.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...son-carman-chooses-clemson-over-ohio#comments

Buckloving 20 DEC 2017, 4:26 PM
He's a Kardashian and he was always going to do whatever would get him the most attention.

SilverHaven 20 DEC 2017, 3:46 PM
Respect his decision? Alright.
Respect his character? Forget it.

Hnyg8modonwelfare 20 DEC 2017, 11:31 AM
Not at all. #1 Class with no cancers like Parsons, Carman, and Jones. We need smart guys who love Ohio State and are team guys, not afraid to compete.

Ruby5 20 DEC 2017, 12:35 PM
Carman just didn't sit well with me. I don't know him but from what I have read he just seems to think he is the ****. That would be a cancer in the Buckeye locker room. My brother watched him play against Mason and said he was lazy and not that impressive. He said Carman walked on and off the field instead of running.

BornAndBredABuckeye 20 DEC 2017, 11:08 AM
Bye, Felicia

LouBuck35 20 DEC 2017, 11:19 AM
In that an OL recruit fancied himself larger than life, and then everyone thought the Shoe would crumble without him? Only difference is we don't know if he will flame out or not.

KBonay MOD 20 DEC 2017, 12:02 PM
Nope. Just have a hard time watching everyone bash this kid. He never committed to Ohio State. He named Clemson his leader after his visit. He's said several times that he wanted to leave Ohio. So I am not surprised by his decision to pick someone, other than Ohio State. Disappointed, yes.

Fishleehooker 20 DEC 2017, 11:09 AM
False start and holding manifested into a human is what Jackson is.

Prolaps 20 DEC 2017, 11:10 AM
T R A I T O R

Symbolic47 20 DEC 2017, 11:10 AM
I'll get downvoted for this but I don't care. This kid is a primadonna of the highest order.

BAJ 20 DEC 2017, 11:11 AM
Good im glad, honestly in any picture that gets taken he just has this look of arrogance. Hes gonna find out real quick how big boy football works,

Hodge 20 DEC 2017, 11:12 AM
If he was truly undecided up till today, then by all means -- best of luck, Jackson.
But if he deliberately led the staff on just to make his recruitment "exciting" -- and, in the process, messed up our standing with some other lineman -- then he can kiss my ass.

Jaxbuckeye 20 DEC 2017, 11:13 AM
Addition by subtraction. Said long ago that I hated his attitude. He was so adamant about proving that he wasn't like everyone else. His attitude sucked from the beginning.

Bdbrown66 20 DEC 2017, 11:13 AM
Dude was a drama queen. Bye, Felicia.

Brunstar 20 DEC 2017, 11:13 AM
Best of luck but I have a feeling that Buckeye fans will look back on this in a couple of years and be thankful that the little drama queen went some where else.

Brutus865 20 DEC 2017, 11:13 AM
Bye. This kid is a head case

Tennbuckeye19 20 DEC 2017, 11:16 AM
I don't like it, but I get it. I know kids who picked teams other than OSU to root for growing up because OSU was all over the place all the time everywhere you went. Carman's been assumed to play at OSU for a long time and he took a different route. Probably didn't like that everyone just assumed he was gonna play for Urban. And with Clemson being one of the top programs in the country right now, he went with Dabo. We'll see how it goes.

MoneyMac 20 DEC 2017, 11:16 AM
I, for one, could not be happier I don't have to root for/defend this primadonna.

Actionstanleyjackson 20 DEC 2017, 11:16 AM
I have heard from several coaches that Carman was very lazy. Could have been even better if he worked.

BuckeyeNut 20 DEC 2017, 11:17 AM
Always felt he had an over-inflated view of his own self importance ...

Dillon G 20 DEC 2017, 11:19 AM
He has the same shitty wrong attitude as many traitors that go north due. No loyalty.

Lawver_5 20 DEC 2017, 11:30 AM
Man this is disappointing, but there is some serious saltiness in this thread. Everyone would be singing a much different tune if he picked the good guys. No need to take shots at a teenager. He made his college choice, he gets that right. Whether or not you appreciated the way he went about the recruiting process, he's still just a kid making the biggest choice of his life.

Eph97 20 DEC 2017, 12:11 PM
In the words of Les Miles, he didn't have the "chest" to be a Buckeye.

Urbanbuck 20 DEC 2017, 2:16 PM
Kid always came across as a dick, one of several that were almost in this class. I would think that a personality of that type would be a no-take just on the personality basis no matter the talent but whatever - coaches talk but they walk a twisted road.

Ohiopanda 20 DEC 2017, 3:20 PM
Never really liked this kid ever since he said he didn't want to play at Ohio State because people expected him to. Also has a huge ego.

GlassCityBuckeyes 20 DEC 2017, 4:15 PM
Bullet dodged. He's a diva and a locker room cancer

Slobberknocker 20 DEC 2017, 7:29 PM
Never liked the kid. His personality, attitude, what ever. If your as great as your rankings, an Ohio boy, growing up in the Great State of Ohio, the opportunity to star for The Ohio State Buckeyes, and play for a 3 time National Championship Head Coach, would be a no-brainer for a winner. But you throw that all away because your scared of the pressure, that's what a loser says. Guaranteed he will regret this. His name will be remembered for stiffing The Buckeyes. Good Riddance to you.

Ca114fire 20 DEC 2017, 7:34 PM
I'll take a 3 star with heart over a 5 star diva any day of the week

Bucknuthoffy7 20 DEC 2017, 8:23 PM
This huge Ohio kid with an ego the size of Texas always left me scratching my head with his comments. He never wanted to be a Buckeye and seemed to love the drama. I'm sure he'll continue to run his mouth at Clemson and it will get him in trouble with his coaches. he basically said "screw you" to the state of Ohio in the end. That's how he'll be remembered as he tries to blaze his own trail at Clemson.

Thedewman10 21 DEC 2017, 10:05 AM
I must say from the beginning with carman I just thought he would be somewhat of a bust. I don’t know if it’s attitude of superiority but I sense the Bucks are better off without him

UAGoldenbear84 22 DEC 2017, 8:57 AM
Best of luck...I hope at some point this kid learns humility and that there is ALWAYS someone, bigger, faster, stronger than you. I doubt he will ever learn humility...nice job mom and dad.

Ultimately, he’s one player and one player rarely makes or breaks a roster, but no doubt the optics of losing a stud from right down the street to the team that is standing between you and a championship aren’t good.

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT