ADVERTISEMENT

Jake LaMotta - Raging Bull passes away

Lion Lineage

Aug 23, 2001
Thought some might find this interesting. Since we speak of football and CTE, what caught my attention was that he had a hell of a boxing career where he took a lot of punishment and yet lived to be in his 90's and maintained his mental faculties to the end:

Raging Bull passes

His wife was really something. Posed in Playboy at age 50, and did herself proud, IMO.

So I don't get flagged:

Last edited:
Thought some might find this interesting. Since we speak of football and CTE, what caught my attention was that he had a hell of a boxing career where he took a lot of punishment and yet lived to be in his 90's and maintained his mental faculties to the end:
Raging Bull passes

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." Dylan Thomas
Rest in Peace.

The fights with Sugar Ray are legendary. The crazy thing is that after one brutal fight, they fought again 3 WEEKS later. Insane.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
The fights with Sugar Ray are legendary. The crazy thing is that after one brutal fight, they fought again 3 WEEKS later. Insane.

LaMotta lost five of six of those epic fights. He had a funny quote.... "I fought Sugar Ray so many times, I almost got diabetes."

Raging Bull passes
Bingo! LaMotta fights over 100 fights lives to 95 and is sharp as a tack. Dempsey lives to almost 88 same thing. Lot isn't k own yet about CTE.

Bingo! LaMotta fights over 100 fights lives to 95 and is sharp as a tack. Dempsey lives to almost 88 same thing. Lot isn't k own yet about CTE.

Agreed. I think it may have more to do with the force of the impact. A boxer getting punched in the head, esp. when a lot of those punches are jabs, probably provides nowhere near the amount of trauma to the brain that a 200lb plus football player hitting someone at full speed, even if the blow isn't to the head. The force of the impact is so much greater that the damage to the brain is probably a lot worse. That's my lay person's opinion on it.

Yeah, that was definitely a golden era in boxing, esp. the middleweight division. Boxers nowadays are lucky fight twice a year. Once every three or four months would be a lot in this day and age.

Agreed. I think it may have more to do with the force of the impact. A boxer getting punched in the head, esp. when a lot of those punches are jabs, probably provides nowhere near the amount of trauma to the brain that a 200lb plus football player hitting someone at full speed, even if the blow isn't to the head. The force of the impact is so much greater that the damage to the brain is probably a lot worse. That's my lay person's opinion on it.

The repeated blows directly to the head, even jabs from some big time punchers can be much more lethal than the impact of football. Imagine being hit and knocked out by Marciano, Liston, Bear, Tyson, or Foreman.

His wife was really something. Posed in Playboy at age 50, and did herself proud, IMO.

You should put some context on that. The pic you presented is of his 2nd wife, Beverly "Vikki" LaMotta. She married Jake when she was 16, and is the wife that Jake was married to during the timeframe shown in the movie Raging Bull.

Jake had 7 wives over the course of his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT