ADVERTISEMENT

Italy still on figurative fire (USA in trouble)

I've done the same thing. Went to respond to a post typed it out and then instead of deleting it just hit the back button. Then replied to another post in the same thread and ended up posting what I had originally written along with the new post.. Duhhh. LOL.

I did more than hit the back button, I closed the browser. But the partial post was still there the next day when I reopened the thread, I just didn't notice it.

Reactions: BBrown
Even South Korea isn't some well-oiled functioning machine - as much as I acknowledge the good work they have done there, they (1) had some structural advantages to get there (most particularly, experience from SARS in 2003), and (2) their number of new cases per day hasn't really gone to zero, it's simply steadied out (it's near 100/day of late).

They learned from their disasterous experience with SARS and were prepared. We didn't head the warning like S. Korea did (nor did we learn from our Ebola experience). What little preparation we did make was also partially undone by this administration. Both Obama and Trump are at fault for not being prepared.

But that is the fault of the Chinese, too, right?
serious.gif

They learned from their disasterous experience with SARS and were prepared. We didn't head the warning like S. Korea did (nor did we learn from our Ebola experience). What little preparation we did make was also partially undone by this administration. Both Obama and Trump are at fault for not being prepared.
To be clear, that's just your opinion. It would be nice if you indicated that it was an opinion.

You sometimes make judgments that not everybody agrees with.

Reactions: Delco Lion
Demlion,

we are now at 580k tests reported or about 125k reported in the last 24hrs. Based on your though that testing suppresses the deadly results and that most of the rest of the country is on a different path from New York I guess we should be seeing relief soon. There should be a million plus results in that stats by the end of the weekend. Yes we will have more infections reported than any where else globally but we will test multiples compared to any other country as well.

Now please answer my other question about your position on experimental treatments if nothing else.

How will we get the "granularity" you say we need without a lot of data AND a lot of contact tracking and isolation? We are not even attempting that, but the places that have succeeded at quelling this so far ALL did it.

You cannot cure this so far as I know, but S. Korea proved you can flatten the curve. You really think that is happening in the US as a whole? That we are going to avoid overloaded hospitals?

Your correct statement that both parties are at fault does not fit into the political football mentality of the posters here!

Reactions: BBrown and bison13
Demlion,

we are now at 580k tests reported or about 125k reported in the last 24hrs. Based on your though that testing suppresses the deadly results and that most of the rest of the country is on a different path from New York I guess we should be seeing relief soon. There should be a million plus results in that stats by the end of the weekend. Yes we will have more infections reported than any where else globally but we will test multiples compared to any other country as well.

Now please answer my other question about your position on experimental treatments if nothing else.
Demlion,

You two seem to be spinning your wheels, the number of tests in the US hardly matters in comparison to South Korea because of how we are using them. We are using them in a reactive manner while the Koreans were being proactive with testing. They're aggressively went looking for infected people (even those with no symptoms) from day one, quarantined everyone they found, and followed up with contact tracing. We are not using testing in that manner and I'm not even sure that would have been our plan even if all the needed test kits were available from day one.

Last edited:
You two seem to be spinning your wheels, the number of tests in the US hardly matters in comparison to South Korea because of how we are using them. We are using them in a reactive manner while the Koreans were being proactive with testing. They aggressively went looking for infected people (even those with no symptoms) from day one, quarantined everyone they found, and followed up with contact tracing. We are not using testing in that manner and I'm not even sure that would have been our plan even if all the needed test kits were available from day one.
This guy gets it

They aggressively went looking for infected people (even those with no symptoms) from day one, quarantined everyone they found, and followed up with contact tracing
How does this approach fit in with our Constitutional Rights? I’ve been to Korea 20 times on business. I can envision how they achieved this using the approach you describe above more than most on this board. Would you subject yourself to the actions in bold from your government (at any time of the government’s choice) for the rest of your life as an American citizen?

The island nation and size of Korea arguments have already been addressed in other posts. You’re not correct!

Demlion,

We have no choice but to try some things.

Yeah you’re right this Research HCP doesn’t get it or understand the problem!
Not sure what you are trying to say, but SLUPSU's description of what SK did to contain this is accurate, As well as his doubts that this could ever be accomplished in the US.

Changed thread title. We are fully in it now. Going to be ugly. Hope regional lockdowns are kept in force and adhered to

WV has tested 804 people. Iowa, twice the population, >3 times the # of tests. I personally KNOW people, with symptoms, who could not get a test.

Not sure I get the "no test is the problem" logic IF you are the least bit informed.
. If you show symptoms and get tested positive the current prescription is stay home and self quarantine.
. If you show symptoms and DO NOT get tested what SHOULD you do. Stay and and self quarantine
. If you are sick in either case - go to the hospital.

So we [my wife and i] are both in the age group that is at least at higher risk [60-70]
No symptons
Not particularly intelligent on medical matters but at least aware of what is going on.

We have been social distancing for almost a month and "shelter in place" [not yet required where we live] for 2 weeks today. If you believe in the self quarantining idea you do it. If you don't and we have friends who don't you won't, simple as that.

The testing issue seems way over blown to me. Masks yes, ventilators yes, tests eh!

Look at the lines of people in Queens, waiting. For WHAT? To be tested. If we are to test them, and NOT make them wait in the cold and rain, we need more tests and testing facilities. Pretty simple.

How will we get the "granularity" you say we need without a lot of data AND a lot of contact tracking and isolation? We are not even attempting that, but the places that have succeeded at quelling this so far ALL did it.

You cannot cure this so far as I know, but S. Korea proved you can flatten the curve. You really think that is happening in the US as a whole? That we are going to avoid overloaded hospitals?

I can't explain or understand the New York City situation, but for 8.5 million people the situation is awful. [although still only about 3 tenths of 1% infected at this time]

For the other 49.5 states and 320 million folks the spread at this time while scary is statistically pretty good. Take out obvious unique situations [cruise ship and Washington State assisted living facility, and lay our countries stats by almost all others and we look ok.
THAT IS NOT TO SAY we shouldn't continue to shelter in place at least until we are stocked with masks, ventilators and beds.

Not sure I get the "no test is the problem" logic IF you are the least bit informed.
. If you show symptoms and get tested positive the current prescription is stay home and self quarantine.
. If you show symptoms and DO NOT get tested what SHOULD you do. Stay and and self quarantine
. If you are sick in either case - go to the hospital.

So we [my wife and i] are both in the age group that is at least at higher risk [60-70]
No symptons
Not particularly intelligent on medical matters but at least aware of what is going on.

We have been social distancing for almost a month and "shelter in place" [not yet required where we live] for 2 weeks today. If you believe in the self quarantining idea you do it. If you don't and we have friends who don't you won't, simple as that.

The testing issue seems way over blown to me. Masks yes, ventilators yes, tests eh!

If you test positive, don't they try to contact everyone you've been in contact with and have those people isolate themselves in order to slow the spread? That would make testing very important.

It is boggling that only 10% or less of those tested have it, yet they have convinced someone that they have symptoms or cause to be tested. What then do these other people have? If covid-19 is so easily transmitted then there has to be many more people that have it than we think.

How many have it - mild or moderate - and don't realize it or do think this is not so bad and just forego the test and self isolate? The test in most cases is a foregone conclusion for people who show strong symptoms, even if only 10% hit positive.

No one knows when the virus is at the height of its transmission potential. There is strong evidence that people with mild to no symptoms are transmitters too, so unless you are testing everyone all the time you have no idea who has what. Minimizing contact with others is the only pragmatic way to be sure.

I am a broken record here but minimizing contact with or WITHOUT testing is the best course. If you think you need tested and are not hospital level sick STAY home and self quarantine. Period end of story.

I can't explain or understand the New York City situation, but for 8.5 million people the situation is awful. [although still only about 3 tenths of 1% infected at this time]

For the other 49.5 states and 320 million folks the spread at this time while scary is statistically pretty good. Take out obvious unique situations [cruise ship and Washington State assisted living facility, and lay our countries stats by almost all others and we look ok.
THAT IS NOT TO SAY we shouldn't continue to shelter in place at least until we are stocked with masks, ventilators and beds.

Or we look like we are still at the left end of the long tail distribution (the chart below is the US reported cases). It's hard to know which.

Coronavirus-Snip.jpg

If you test positive, don't they try to contact everyone you've been in contact with and have those people isolate themselves in order to slow the spread? That would make testing very important.

You may be right I am not sure. What I thought happened was if you did something unique [airplane, hotel travel, meeting or conference etc.] they tried to back track and contact folks. I did not think in normal day to day they tried to do that stuff with the exception of immediate family.

yes but we are way past the point of that having much effectiveness beyond the currently implemented stay home policy
taking 10+ days to get a test result doesn't help with this either,

And lots of people with terrible vulnerability, and no symptoms as yet, are likely infected and by the time they get a test, they will be goners.

You do know if you have no or even mild symptoms and test positive they are just going to tell you to stay home right?

Check New Orleans

I believe in many places they are past that. Once you reach a point called "community transmission" you are beyond contact tracing. Bit by bit, more and more places are reaching that point.

Los Angeles reached that point on March 9th.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/news...cle_45d6bd78-626e-11ea-850e-df3ed4348b8d.html

There have been many others since then. For example, just in the last 24 hours these "isolated states" reported:

Hawaii: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/25/hawaii-reports-new-cases-coronavirus-bringing-total/

Maine: https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...virus/97-b6278f15-8658-46c9-9211-1281447a4051

Last edited:
I am a broken record here but minimizing contact with or WITHOUT testing is the best course. If you think you need tested and are not hospital level sick STAY home and self quarantine. Period end of story.
Unless your family member works in health care. Then what?

It will identify the illness, they will quarantine, and the disease can be managed BEFORE it is killing them. Slows the spread and probably improves your chance of living.
" they can mange the disease" BUT THEY AREN'T DOING THAT

I believe in many places they are past that. Once you reach a point called "community transmission" you are beyond contact tracing. Bit by bit, more and more places are reaching that point.
In many places, they never did it.

Again, the Chinese are THE ROOT CAUSE of the current world crisis.

China (1) didn't more heavily regulate their wet markets. China (2) had a documented case of COVID-19 on 17-November. China (3) decided not to tell the WHO about any of this until 31-December.

All those are China's fault. China is THE ROOT CAUSE of everything that has followed.

---------------

Anyway. Pivoting back to my original post, all those issues as regards "10 days to get a test result" would still be an issue if we had had 330,000,000 tests ready back in mid-February.

I honestly don't think you have a good grasp of "real world logistics" - it's impossible to ramp up from literally nothing to a well-oiled functioning machine in the matter of weeks.

Your lack of logistics knowledge isn't really your fault. It's just a function of being a lawyer for your whole life. You deal more in the theoretical than the actual. Folks who work in fields like manufacturing, or operations management, or supply chain management or military planning know that it's VERY hard and it takes TIME to get the machine up and running.

There's a reason that the ventilator makers are now getting help from Ford and GM in ramping up production. Because those guys are the experts in getting the machine up and running. Ventilator makers (nothing against them, but that's a pretty steady-state business in normal times) and lawyers aren't the experts.

Even South Korea isn't some well-oiled functioning machine - as much as I acknowledge the good work they have done there, they (1) had some structural advantages to get there (most particularly, experience from SARS in 2003), and (2) their number of new cases per day hasn't really gone to zero, it's simply steadied out (it's near 100/day of late).

re China, Even when they told us all about the virus in January they told the WHO who then told us, that there were no person to person cases which in the context of this discussion was a grievous error. Forgetting our political views the World Health Organization really has dropped the ball on this one.

Uh..... no

Actually, in many locales and in various organizations -- to include my own -- contact tracing is still occurring. So, yes.

However, that becomes less useful as infections spread. And past a certain threshold, contact tracing is practically futile.

So the answer is, "it depends".

I have mixed emotions on this. I am glad you "blamed" both administrations. My mixed feelings are as follows,
do we need to be prepared for every possible doomsday scenario that might come forward? It would sure be nice but is it practical? Does it make sense to have triple or quadruple the number of ICU beds available even if they don't get used, have 2 Billion N 95 masks laying around, 100 million test kits, and 50,000 ventilators for a "just in case". I would love it if we did but I don't know.
One of the under reported IMO great stories here is how quickly major corp[orations have jumped in on this. Ford/GE -ventilators, Ford/GM 3D printing masks and making face shields, Ford/GM working with Medtronic to make more ventilators. I just heard yesterday the hotel association representing all 56,000 hotels has had 12,000 hotels [who are obviously empty] offer there hotels as quarantining locations if needed.
My thought is by mid to late April we will have more than adequate medical supplies of all kinds. That is about an 8 week delay from optimal. Tragic for those going without right now for sure but probably practical.
This looks like a once every hundred years situation [think Spanish flu] For those thinking N1H1, SARS, MERS or Ebola, the fact that we got our hands around them pretty quickly may have made us over confidant.
You can't really build a 6 lane highway when a 3 lane works fine 23 hours a day just to accommodate that 1 hour of rush hour. Or can/should you? Unfortunately, we are right smack in the middle of a health care rush hour.

Actually, in many locales and in various organizations -- to include my own -- contact tracing is still occurring. So, yes.

However, that becomes less useful as infections spread. And past a certain threshold, contact tracing is practically futile.

So the answer is, "it depends".
Do you mean your local government did contact tracing, or that your organization did it? What kind of organization do you work for?

Or we look like we are still at the left end of the long tail distribution (the chart below is the US reported cases). It's hard to know which.

Coronavirus-Snip.jpg
You are correct BUT the issue of tests seems to me to be behind us, the issue of masks, ventilators also seems to be only a few weeks away IMO. The biggest problem in my view right now is hospital beds if required. That seems like a slower issue to fix although they can throw up temporary [military type tents pretty quickly i think]

Last edited:
Check New Orleans

I am not going to argue that New Orleans or the Florida spring breakers or something else won't cause another 'hot spot' in fact I am certain they will. My disagreement with you is I think testing at this point has limited value.
You are either positive or negative.
Unless you are hospital level sick the prescription is the SAME. Stay home, and stay away from people. If you are hospital level sick with or without Corona go to the hospital

Last edited:
Unless your family member works in health care. Then what?
Honestly I find it hard to believe a health care worker couldn't get tested. What they need are masks, shields, ventilators and beds. You are dying on a hill [testing] that isn't even in the war.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Honestly I find it hard to believe a health care worker couldn't get tested. What they need are masks, shields, ventilators and beds. You are dying on a hill [testing] that isn't even in the war.
Funny, none of the experts seem to be saying that is true. So, all those folks in Queens are wasting their time? LOL.

Had we done the first part right, you would not be whining about masks and vents. But that is ok. They are going to F that up too. Then you'll be telling me its not masks, it's coffins. LOL. It IS pretty hard to believe. Do you suppose those 160 healthcare workers in Boston came down with it all at the very same time? Jesus.

Reactions: rumble_lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT