ADVERTISEMENT

It All began the Day PSU hired Franklin

Concealed Carry

Nov 7, 2015
Very Simply put, Fanklin's focus offensivly is not on the running game. He divorced the program from power football from the jump, An RPO man. We have two of the best running backs in the country , an offensive line that averages 330 lbs and they can't run block. Franklin constantly looking for the " explosive play". Here is an explosive play Coach: Run the ball on 1st down get 4 yards. Run the ball on 2nd down get 4 yards. run the ball on 3rd down get 4 yards. There's your explosive play; Build from there. If you can't effectively run the ball. You can't win.

It's disgusting to witness such an inept and unproductive offense. Drew Allar seriously regressed sinse the season began. Franklin's coaching philosophy on the offensive side of the ball is flawed...

Reactions: aworsnup and psu00
Very Simply put, Fanklin's focus offensivly is not on the running game. He divorced the program from power football from the jump, An RPO man. We have two of the best running backs in the country , an offensive line that averages 330 lbs and they can't run block. Franklin constantly looking for the " explosive play". Here is an explosive play Coach: Run the ball on 1st down get 4 yards. Run the ball on 2nd down get 4 yards. run the ball on 3rd down get 4 yards. There's your explosive play; Build from there. If you can't effectively run the ball. You can't win.
To a degree, I agree with you but I was listening to the OSU post game tonight and one of their coaches mentioned that while they only have 150 to 200 yards a game rushing - it's very misleading as they usually have 6 to 8 short, dump-off passes to their RBs that are, in reality, running plays. And that #32 seems to get 2 or 3 of them a game that goes for 15 to 20 yards.

So I guess I'm saying that a good offensive staff can disguise plays in your offense that can be effective

They had that working most of the day…especially with Allen…but walked away from the success. Mind boggling.

My Kingdom for this guy’s philosophy (Eagles line coach and oline guru). Nothing better than watching the Birds grind on a team for 7-9 minutes and finish with scores. By the 4th quarter, most teams are done.

The problem for many modern coaches is that this isn’t sexy - doesn’t flatter their offensive genius. But it has always ****ing worked.

oxdsynmgtcr3cbavnx1g

Last edited:
My Kingdom for this guy (Eagles line coach and oline guru). Nothing better than watching the Birds grind on a team for 7-9 minutes and finish with scores. By the 4th quarter, most teams are done.

The problem for many modern coaches is that this isn’t sexy - doesn’t flatter their offensive genius. But it has always ****ing worked.

oxdsynmgtcr3cbavnx1g
LOL You can’t be freaking serious.

Do you remember how the 49ers used the pass to set up the run in their glory days? With all due respect that was the problem yesterday—too many predictable running plays on first and frequently second down against a team geared to stop the run resulting in 3rd and long. How often does this team throw passes to RBs or when was the last time you saw a screen pass?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
LOL You can’t be freaking serious.
Pardon my non-sequitor way of posting. I’m not saying as head coach. I’m saying as someone setting the tone for the offensive philosophy, so I made a slight edit.

My ultimate fantasy land head coach would be prime Bill Parcells. Could win with garbage at QB and preached defense, toughness, and ball control

Reactions: 84Lion
An offensive formation where the running back is lined up standing right next to the quarterback makes it easier for the defense. That puts two ball handlers in the same spot. The only time in our history where we had success playing out of that formation is when we had receivers that could bring down a "jump ball" downfield with a quarterback that was like Pribula, and we even had the likes of Barkley, Sanders, and now Singleton and Allen. All we did was heave it into one on one and make everyone else play the QB/RB run.

Now we have a passer but plant the running threat in the same spot. A pass blitz and a run blitz become the same thing. I am stunned by the number of plays where the back is handed the ball flatfooted and must wait for some kind of hole to develop. Meanwhile the linebackers are just waiting in the gaps, if not crashing the mesh point. It is idiotic if you don't have something that can quickly go off tackle, that is also a running threat, and/or receivers that will beat man coverage.

Kaytron Allen is the only back we have able to drag a pile of people from that starting point disadvantage, but that doesn't mean Singleton should not be highly successful with what he can deliver. We just don't use him well with this offense.

Not sure I can stomach reviewing that game, but I think I remember seeing a pitch play for once. It was quickly stuffed. No blocking. It wasn't like the old toss sweep. No sweep.

This offensive system has to go. Both Yurcich and Franklin have to go. They have an offensive playbook that doesn't fit the people they were able to recruit. Now they are ruining the careers of some of the superstars they did successfully recruit, and probably the prospect of attracting those types of players in the future.

In short, I think this year, despite the prospect of losing only two games, will set the program back for many years.

Do you remember how the 49ers used the pass to set up the run in their glory days? With all due respect that was the problem yesterday—too many predictable running plays on first and frequently second down against a team geared to stop the run resulting in 3rd and long. How often does this team throw passes to RBs or when was the last time you saw a screen pass?

We stopped throwing traditional running back screens after realizing that we can't block them. Those take athletic, mobile linemen. We have road-graters, but we don't use them as such. Obviously we still do quick WR screens.

Perhaps one of our OL posters can jump in here, but it seems to me that the lack of a surge started when we started with this RPO stuff. It's more like draw play blocking where you open the hole by shielding your man to the side. It often fails because the OL miss the appropriate man to block.

This blocking assignment problem goes back to my gripe with our pre-snap stuff. Way too much nonsense going on trying to match the play with the defensive line up. Offensive line play is cerebral. They are probably on the same mental overload as Allar. Obviously, our receivers and backs are on overload with this system as well. Half the time they don't know where to line up.

The problem is that offensive line. They are not coached to "run block". There is no push, no explosion. I question the strength and training coach as well at this point. 330 lbs across the line and they look like dancing bears. Football is won and lost up front, that simple

I don't know what game you were watching. Truly.

How many series did we run on first and second only to have a third and long?

I will wait.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
After watching yesterday's game I can’t help but wonder if Franklin’s penchant for choking in big games has now seeped down into Allar’s psyche.
Franklin seems to be an emotional coach. I can see that working for you if things are going well (e.g. - Iowa, Maryland) but not if things aren't going so well (e.g. - OSU, UM). And I think that Franklin's "tightness" flows to the rest of the coaching staff and the players, so they're all far too tense - make mistakes when you're wound too tight.
Franklin also seems to be rather inflexible. Again, problems with that can be hidden if things are going well (talent level takes command), but when the going gets tough, it's more difficult to adjust.
If Franklin would be more flexible with his offensive schemes, he could design plays and schemes to take advantage of whatever opposing defenses give him. Instead, he relies on low-percentage "trick plays" and going for it on 4th down. I find that odd considering that he's been pegged as a statistics guru.

We run on almost every first down. And most second downs. How’s that working for us?

My Kingdom for this guy’s philosophy (Eagles line coach and oline guru). Nothing better than watching the Birds grind on a team for 7-9 minutes and finish with scores. By the 4th quarter, most teams are done.

oxdsynmgtcr3cbavnx1g
Call Mike Munchak. Tell him his school needs him and will pay big bucks.

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
We run on almost every first down. And most second downs. How’s that working for us?
It's not. The reason is PSU O line is not trained to properly run block. O line is weak, poor footwork, slow off the ball, not synchronizedin the least. It all starts in the winter and spring. We have two running backs that should both have 1000 yard seasons. Franklin is pass first run second. hell for 8 years Franklin never put QB under center, We only recently saw a full house backfield . You need a coach that is fulliy invested in the run. Franklin is not.

It's not. The reason is PSU O line is not trained to properly run block. O line is weak, poor footwork, slow off the ball, not synchronizedin the least. It all starts in the winter and spring. We have two running backs that should both have 1000 yard seasons. Franklin is pass first run second. hell for 8 years Franklin never put QB under center, We only recently saw a full house backfield . You need a coach that is fulliy invested in the run. Franklin is not.

Pas first, run second…..yet 90% of the first down calls were runs 😵‍💫

QBs everywhere, take a snap under center, and conversely handle a shotgun snap. That's the first thing a capable quarterback should be able to do. As recently shown to the football world, a precisely run play called the tush push can gain one to two yards and certainly sometimes more. Next we teach the ..... Enough, Hire a qb whisperer; then an OC that game plans for each different team one faces. Design a first half game plan to that allows you to force the opposing DC co-ordinater to make the changes in the second half that one wants him to. Then change your second half Offensive game plan to take advantage of the opposing DC's adjustments you forced him to make.

That's enuff mutterings from me

Reactions: GastonLion
Which is exactly what almost every other college program has done

The O line does have to understand that "fundamentally" their job is to control/own the first five yards in front of the line of scrimmage. A surge or a five yard push.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT