ADVERTISEMENT

What' wrong with a 6 minute touchdown drive?

johnmpsu

Nov 29, 2001
EagleVail, CO
If I hear the phrase explosive play one more time I'm going to throw up. I'll take a 6 minute scoring drive from this team every time. This team isn't 1994 where they scored in less than 2 minutes every time.

The current strength of the team is the defense and the running backs. PSU threw the ball 42 times yesterday. 42 times!! That's ridiculous and rarely results in a win. That's with a first year QB in the toughest environment he's ever seen. Ridiculous.

3rd and less than 1. Run the damn ball. 3rd and 3 and you plan to go for it on 4th down. Run the damn ball. What's wrong with getting first downs? What's wrong with keeping the other guys best player off the field. The play calling felt like Franklin didn't believe his team could possibly win with simple, fundamental football.

Stop listening to stupid media criticism about "explosive " plays. Just do what needs to be done to win!

OK rant over.

If I hear the phrase explosive play one more time I'm going to throw up. I'll take a 6 minute scoring drive from this team every time. This team isn't 1994 where they scored in less than 2 minutes every time.

The current strength of the team is the defense and the running backs. PSU threw the ball 42 times yesterday. 42 times!! That's ridiculous and rarely results in a win. That's with a first year QB in the toughest environment he's ever seen. Ridiculous.

3rd and less than 1. Run the damn ball. 3rd and 3 and you plan to go for it on 4th down. Run the damn ball. What's wrong with getting first downs? What's wrong with keeping the other guys best player off the field. The play calling felt like Franklin didn't believe his team could possibly win with simple, fundamental football.

Stop listening to stupid media criticism about "explosive " plays. Just do what needs to be done to win!

OK rant over.
And 4th down in a one score game with nearly half of the 4th qtr to go on your own side of the 50 should end in a kick to pin them deep and hope to get the ball back in about the same position with a first down. Especially the way the defense had been playing.

And 4th down in a one score game with nearly half of the 4th qtr to go on your own side of the 50 should end in a kick to pin them deep and hope to get the ball back in about the same position with a first down. Especially the way the defense had been playing.
Exactly.

OK rant over.
Because it's very difficult to have 10-15 yard scoring drives against better teams

I agree with a ton of this post but we need explosive plays in the run game and the pass game. That doesn't mean 2 plays 80 yard drives but it means 7 plays 80 yard drives with a chunk play or two.

Beyond the

GIF by Saturday Night Live

it conveys a sense of panic on the coach's part.

OK rant over.
The argument is not that scoring quickly is better than scoring slowly and methodically. In fact, I think most people would agree that scoring slowly is better, since it lets your defense rest. The argument, right or wrong, is that without some explosive plays, it's hard to score at all.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
The argument is not that scoring quickly is better than scoring slowly and methodically. In fact, I think most people would agree that scoring slowly is better, since it lets your defense rest. The argument, right or wrong, is that without some explosive plays, it's hard to score at all.
By their own definition, they had two consecutive explosive carries by Singleton and then abandoned the run to play backyard cute stuff that put them behind the chains.

you should at least attempt to establish the threat of throwing a 20+ yard pass, in order to open up short passes and the run game..without a credible threat, the defense plays closer to the LOS....and your offensive line is not good enough to run it down the throat of teams with a good defense..

We were the underdog. Have been the last 14 or so times we've played OSU.
Doesn’t mean you have to play like you are! That decision was one of desperation. It wasn’t 4th and very short. A punt would have told the team we are going to hold them and get the ball back again. Heck, the punt that hit the downfield blocker was our best “explosive play” of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowbell Man
as an objective outsider, it was astonishing that franklin didn't run the ball more...had a great first down run and went pass pass punt...downhill from there...psu's only chance was to consistently pound the rock...crazy to think a rookie was gonna come in and sling it

Reactions: 91Joe95
I think there was a series where we passed on 2nd and 6 (incomplete); then ran on 3rd and 6. didn't get it of course, but if the run had come first it might have been 3rd and 2. the play calling seemed to be coming from a random number generator
Bingo! Worst play calling I've ever seen considering the level of talent on that team. I think the random number generator might have been better.

OK rant over.

Reminds me of Franklin's comments about full backs. "Why have a guy who only does one thing?"

Like block. Or get first downs. Or catches passes. Or scores touchdowns......

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT