ADVERTISEMENT

Is Saquon going to be a Free Agent?

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
Does anyone know if he's actually going to sign with the Giants? Does he become a FA if he doesn't sign or how's that work with a franchise tag? Love football, but hate the contract stuff. Anyone explain?

Does anyone know if he's actually going to sign with the Giants? Does he become a FA if he doesn't sign or how's that work with a franchise tag? Love football, but hate the contract stuff. Anyone explain?
His choices are to sign the tag with the Giants, or sit out. He won't be a Free Agent this year.

Financially, sitting out for Saquon is not a good deal financially. it was not a good deal for Bell either. It is hard to make up the missed out on $10 MM.

Yeah if he can’t get a new deal he should sign the tag and become a FA next year.
The Giants can always cut him or trade his rights. If SB decides to sit, the Giants have three choices: eat it, trade him, cut him. They'll probably look to trade him to a team that is willing to give him something closer to the $16m. It doesn't make any sense to not get anything for him at all.

It is hard to argue with SB. hell, Bengals Mixon is set to make $12m. Kamara, who may not play at all as he just settled an assault charge, is set to make $15m. The tag would come with only $10m which would tie him with Josh Jacobs and Tony Pollard. My guess is that he settles for something between $14m and $15m

The Giants can always cut him or trade his rights. If SB decides to sit, the Giants have three choices: eat it, trade him, cut him. They'll probably look to trade him to a team that is willing to give him something closer to the $16m. It doesn't make any sense to not get anything for him at all.

It is hard to argue with SB. hell, Bengals Mixon is set to make $12m. Kamara, who may not play at all as he just settled an assault charge, is set to make $15m. The tag would come with only $10m which would tie him with Josh Jacobs and Tony Pollard. My guess is that he settles for something between $14m and $15m
This is the post in this thread that makes the most sense... It is miles apart from the other posts in it's completeness of consequences for all parties involved.

Stupid me. I imagine that someone who was paid $16,000,000 for 2 seasons they could not complete would have even a small amount of loyalty and thankfulness. If he sits, his career is probably done. Hard to remember anyone having success doing that.

It is hard to argue with SB. hell, Bengals Mixon is set to make $12m. Kamara, who may not play at all as he just settled an assault charge, is set to make $15m. The tag would come with only $10m, which would tie him with Josh Jacobs and Tony Pollard. My guess is that he settles for something between $14m and $15m
PS. Grace is a good trait. When Monroe Auto "retired" me, they gave me 51 weeks pay and 6 months of free outplacement. I evidently had a powerful rabbi. Despite building one of the best operations in the industry, new management wanted to cut costs and hundreds of high earners were replaced with lower paid replacements. I made until the 6th round and my 55th birthday making me eligible for a pension I still recueve after 27 years. I received Grace from an unknown rabbi and am grateful for it. $16,000,000 is a lot of grace.

Reactions: Obliviax
Teams can't sign Barkley unless they give up 2 1st rd picks. That and guaranteed money near upper end RBs is way too steep. I don't see an NFL GM nor owner making that kind of splurge.

I figure they iron something out because if anything was learned from Bells holdout, nobody gains anything in that exchange.

I hope he sits out and goes to a team that has a good o line, a good OC, a good QB/passing game so he can actually show his true talents. And get to a SB which the Giants will likely never do.

Imagine him at Kansas City or Buffalo. When a defense can’t key on him alone he will run roughshod over a defense.

Certainly not predicting this will happen…..just dreaming.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Teams can't sign Barkley unless they give up 2 1st rd picks. That and guaranteed money near upper end RBs is way too steep. I don't see an NFL GM nor owner making that kind of splurge.

I figure they iron something out because if anything was learned from Bells holdout, nobody gains anything in that exchange.
I believe the team can remove the tag. So let's say the Giants realized SB is not going to play in 2023 for them. They can get creative (remove the tag?) and trade is rights. These are often worked out with the player's agent and another team before being announced.

At $13m, SB would be $3m per year behind the highest-paid RB, McCaffrey. Below is per year.

• 1. 49ers RB Christian McCaffrey: $16 million
  • 2. Saints RB Alvin Kamara: $15 million
  • 3. Vikings RB Dalvin Cook: $12.6 million
  • 4. Titans RB Derrick Henry: $12.5 million
  • 5. Browns RB Nick Chubb: $12.2 million
  • 6. Bengals QB Joe Mixon: $12 million
  • 7. Packers RB Aaron Jones: $11.5 million
  • 8. Cowboys RB Tony Pollard: $10.1 million
  • 8. Raiders RB Josh Jacobs: $10.1 million
  • 8. Giants RB Saquon Barkley $10.1 million

Compare this to offensive lineman. There are over 20 OL that make $16m per year or more.

Love him but he is not the best rb in the NFL based on records. Take the $13 million abd ve grateful to gave the talent to earn it. Pride and greed are two of the biggest destroyers of men.

Reactions: AvgUser
Love him but he is not the best rb in the NFL based on records. Take the $13 million abd ve grateful to gave the talent to earn it. Pride and greed are two of the biggest destroyers of men.
Because his team sucks. Please let him go somewhere where he can show his skills.

Even at PSU, he had a poor o line and an OC that could have far better adapted the offense to him.

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't care where he went to school, I just can't have empathy for a millionaire exercising his right to be greedy. He was,paid a lot of money TO STAY HOME during his contract. "Poor little old me."

• Haha
Reactions: Phil's Rug
Because his team sucks. Please let him go somewhere where he can show his skills.

Even at PSU, he had a poor o line and an OC that could have far better adapted the offense to him.
that may be his plan. he may want out but can't get out. So he'll either take another $16m to get the shit beat our of him on a poor team or take far less to play for a good team where his career (and earnings over the long term) may be more.

We've seen RBs hold out before but typically they were weirdos or at the end of their careers. SB is in his prime and in fantastic shape. despite what the media says, it is still early. SB can go to camp during pre-season and be ready by the opener. These deadlines are false, for the most part. If the player and team agree, they can do whatever they want at any time as long as it is within the CBA.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
I don't care where he went to school, I just can't have empathy for a millionaire exercising his right to be greedy. He was,paid a lot of money TO STAY HOME during his contract. "Poor little old me."
when was he paid to stay home?

Greed ? LOL. RBs careers are short in NFL and they take a beating. Its not greed trying to maximize the amount of money he can get. Its called good business.

Reactions: tlbakernc
The owners are making far more while the players do the work, risk serious injury, will have lifetime issues, and most will have a significantly shorter lifespan.

The owners are making far more while the players do the work, risk serious injury, will have lifetime issues, and most will have a significantly shorter lifespan.
totally agree. And don't forget that these guys pay a lot of money out.

• 37% goes to the feds
  • 10% goes to the state
  • A good agent will make 10% plus
then you add in nutritionists, healthcare, trainers, etc. And these guys are done around age 30.

RBs are really underpaid today compared to every other position. I think that is the point SB is trying to make. He isn't trying to break the bank, $16m will do it. Even linebackers make more than RBs.

He is really crazy if he doesn't sign. If he would sit out there is no way to ever make that money back. Even if he sits out and becomes a free agent next year he can't get ever get that $13M back.

They won't cut or trade him. They'll do what the Steeleers did to Bell. I'm not even sure they can cut him. I'll have to review that. Once you tag someone I don't believe that's an option.

He is really crazy if he doesn't sign. If he would sit out there is no way to ever make that money back. Even if he sits out and becomes a free agent next year he can't get ever get that $13M back.
This...exactly this. Take the 10.1M and then test FA next year. He's not getting McCaffrey money

I believe the team can remove the tag. So let's say the Giants realized SB is not going to play in 2023 for them. They can get creative (remove the tag?) and trade is rights. These are often worked out with the player's agent and another team before being announced.

At $13m, SB would be $3m per year behind the highest-paid RB, McCaffrey. Below is per year.

• 1. 49ers RB Christian McCaffrey: $16 million
  • 2. Saints RB Alvin Kamara: $15 million
  • 3. Vikings RB Dalvin Cook: $12.6 million
  • 4. Titans RB Derrick Henry: $12.5 million
  • 5. Browns RB Nick Chubb: $12.2 million
  • 6. Bengals QB Joe Mixon: $12 million
  • 7. Packers RB Aaron Jones: $11.5 million
  • 8. Cowboys RB Tony Pollard: $10.1 million
  • 8. Raiders RB Josh Jacobs: $10.1 million
  • 8. Giants RB Saquon Barkley $10.1 million

Compare this to offensive lineman. There are over 20 OL that make $16m per year or more.
Because RBs have arguably the least value. Way less than a LT. RBs have a short lifespan and the drop between elite and average in an era where backs rotate is minimal.

Because RBs have arguably the least value. Way less than a LT. RBs have a short lifespan and the drop between elite and average in an era where backs rotate is minimal.
i get it. give him a one-year deal then.

I hope he sits out and goes to a team that has a good o line, a good OC, a good QB/passing game so he can actually show his true talents. And get to a SB which the Giants will likely never do.

Imagine him at Kansas City or Buffalo. When a defense can’t key on him alone he will run roughshod over a defense.

Certainly not predicting this will happen…..just dreaming.

Odds are the Giants OC will probably be a head coach next year.

You mean like the 2022 playoff Giants? He realize he's been hurt a lot right? The Giants aren't holding him back.

You mean like the 2022 playoff Giants? He realize he's been hurt a lot right? The Giants aren't holding him back.
his injury history:
  • Thigh/Hammy, out 8 days but didn't miss a game in August of 18
  • Ankle in Sept of 2019, played 13 games
  • ACL in 20, out for rest of the season
  • Ankle in 21, missed a game also missed a game for COVID protocol, played 13 games
  • Neck Stinger in 22, didn't miss a game
The only team that didn't lose double digits was the 22 team. Not only did they make the playoffs, they won the wildcard game.

So, aside from his ACL, in the other four years, he's played 58 of 64 games.

For an NFL player, he's played plenty. And, the first four years with the Giants their team sucked. If barkley had an OL, he'd be the best in the NFL. He should be paid for being the best in the NFL. thus, he's asking for something approaching McCaffrey money at $16m

They can get creative (remove the tag?) and trade is rights. These are often worked out with the player's agent and another team before being announced.

I think it is possible to be done, but it's still the franchise leveraging their CBA rights. I think a deal gets made, but both sides will have to slide some.

This...exactly this. Take the 10.1M and then test FA next year. He's not getting McCaffrey money

I think they can use the tag on him again next year as well. Not positive, NFL stuff is wonky and I don't follow it as closely.

I think it is possible to be done, but it's still the franchise leveraging their CBA rights. I think a deal gets made, but both sides will have to slide some.

I think they can use the tag on him again next year as well. Not positive, NFL stuff is wonky and I don't follow it as closely.
Agreed. The Giants won't let him sit all year and probably not to start the year. They'll agree on something or trade him. He's too good of a player to be out of the league for a year. My guess is that they end up in the $14.5 to $15m range.

Yes that happened with Kirk Cousins years ago but the salary is crazy high. I forget what % on the second tag

Agreed. The Giants won't let him sit all year and probably not to start the year. They'll agree on something or trade him. He's too good of a player to be out of the league for a year. My guess is that they end up in the $14.5 to $15m range.
See Le'Veon Bell
I don't see him being traded (it doesn't benefit the Giants) or getting close to 15M. I think he's looking at 12-13M best case.

Based on state and local taxes, his $13 m in NYC could be $14.5 m on a FL or TX team.
In Jacksonville he would pay a million dollars a year in property taxes and and pay another million in home insurance that covers nothing.

Tx...Even with repeated brown outs would probably be his best bet.

In Jacksonville he would pay a million dollars a year in property taxes and and pay another million in home insurance that covers nothing.

Tx...Even with repeated brown outs would probably be his best bet.
Think real estate taxes in NYC/Jersey are cheaper? Sales taxes? Business taxes…… most of these guys invest in businesses.

Think real estate taxes in NYC/Jersey are cheaper? Sales taxes? Business taxes…… most of these guys invest in businesses.
Well if New Yorkers would have to send 40% of their income taxes to bail out the Southern States because the welfare state leaders down here weren't still faking recovery from the Civil war... Then the New Yorkers wouldn't need to pay property tax... Or care if they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT