ADVERTISEMENT

Is it possible to like the 2017 PSU football team and Joe Paterno?

Is it possible to like the 2017 PSU football team and Joe Paterno?

• Yes

Votes: 146 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
Importance of fighting to clear Joe's name and the program's reputation > the importance of the 2017 football team winning game. To me, at least. I guess I have no football culture problem.

Of course we can and should do both. However, if forced to rank the two, I agree that Joe's name and the program's reputation is the more important of the two. It is the bigger picture. The second is one game. It is a very important game right now, but it is one game. 20 years from now, what will people focus on? Joe's legacy or this game against michigan? Even if Penn State wins on Saturday and the game is memorable, it will not go down in the lore as significant as Joe's legacy, which of course, is tied hand in hand with the program's reputation (Success With Honor, The Grand Experiment).

Joe is Joe because of decades of Success With Honor. It is not because of one game. It is not even because of 409. It is because of 409 plus all of the people on whom he had a positive impact in the university community and beyond. It is because of the contributions he made to the university, all with a sense of humility, that he is in our hearts and must be remembered and honored.

There is no separating Joe Paterno from Penn State history (the university, not just the football program). No matter how much the naysayers call us "Joebots" and clamor for Joe to be erased, Penn State and Joe Paterno are forever linked. Joe's contributions to the university as a whole are simply too important to ignore. We are because he was. There is no arguing it, though some will waste their time trying.

None of this is intended to disrespect James Franklin. That should be obvious. I have great respect for James Franklin, the man and the coach. I am grateful for the way he conducts himself, represents our university, and performs. He has turned around the football program much faster and to greater heights than I could have ever expected, all the while upholding the tradition of Success With Honor. However, there is no mistaking it. He is not Joe Paterno, not yet. He may get there, and I hope he does, but he has a long way to go. I'm sure he would readily admit that. Regardless, I support James Franklin 100% and hope he remains in Happy Valley for the remainder of his coaching career.

Of course we can and should do both. However, if forced to rank the two, I agree that Joe's name and the program's reputation is the more important of the two. It is the bigger picture. The second is one game. It is a very important game right now, but it is one game. 20 years from now, what will people focus on? Joe's legacy or this game against michigan? Even if Penn State wins on Saturday and the game is memorable, it will not go down in the lore as significant as Joe's legacy, which of course, is tied hand in hand with the program's reputation (Success With Honor, The Grand Experiment).

I thank God everyday there aren't many people like you on this Earth.

If you truly cared that much, you and others like you would stop going, stop donating, stop caring, etc. Yet here you are because you don't have the balls to do any of it. You continue a self-righteous march toward nothing.

Furthermore, your obsession with Paterno is downright creepy. The battle was lost. Get a life. Fortunately BWI is the last vestige of crazies like you.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I thank God everyday there aren't many people like you on this Earth.

If you truly cared that much, you and others like you would stop going, stop donating, stop caring, etc. Yet here you are because you don't have the balls to do any of it. You continue a self-righteous march toward nothing.

Furthermore, your obsession with Paterno is downright creepy. The battle was lost. Get a life. Fortunately BWI is the last vestige of crazies like you.

Your obsession with Paterno bashing is downright creepy. Especially considering that you are covering for those that actually failed those kids by focusing on the guy who did exactly what he was supposed to. You are an enabler. I thank God everyday there aren't many people like you on this Earth.

Your obsession with Paterno bashing is downright creepy. Especially considering that you are covering for those that actually failed those kids by focusing on the guy who did exactly what he was supposed to. You are an enabler. I thank God everyday there aren't many people like you on this Earth.

Nice comeback, pandaczar12.

It's because of your obsession that you see the world thorugh coke bottle glasses. No one is covering for those who failed the kids. Hey, McQueary reported it too, right?

I'm not, and never have, bashed Paterno. I've been on record numerous times over the years with my thoughts on his (non) role in the scandal. What I am bashing is idiots, like you, who think holding signs at Gameday is going to make a difference, "change the narrative", etc. The fat lady sang that tune a long time ago.

Nice comeback, pandaczar12.

It's because of your obsession that you see the world thorugh coke bottle glasses. No one is covering for those who failed the kids. Hey, McQueary reported it too, right?

I'm not, and never have, bashed Paterno. I've been on record numerous times over the years with my thoughts on his (non) role in the scandal. What I am bashing is idiots, like you, who think holding signs at Gameday is going to make a difference, "change the narrative", etc. The fat lady sang that tune a long time ago.

Thanks, just like to point out that you are simply projecting on others. Unlike you, I can make intelligent and insightful posts that don't belittle those with special needs, such as people who spell "through" as "thorugh".

I realize you are trying to change the subject away from your enabling future abuse... but when did I ever discuss holding game day signs?

Current numbers on this poll stand at 90% yea, 10% nay. What would Ben Affleck and Matt Daman say?

Thanks, just like to point out that you are simply projecting on others. Unlike you, I can make intelligent and insightful posts that don't belittle those with special needs, such as people who spell "through" as "thorugh".

I realize you are trying to change the subject away from your enabling future abuse... but when did I ever discuss holding game day signs?

I was referencing another thread and not you specifically. I wouldn't suspect that someone with your IQ could understand.

And please tell me how I'm enabling. I've got my popcorn ready.

Importance of fighting to clear Joe's name and the program's reputation > the importance of the 2017 football team winning game. To me, at least. I guess I have no football culture problem.

I have no problem with that sentiment at all. Our tradition, not just for success on the field, but also for doing it the right way, has been unjustly stolen from us. Not just from those of us who grew up with Joe, but from CJF and the players and student body of this entire decade.

And while there's no doubt the media allowed itself to be played like a snare drum, it isn't compelled to address the damage it's caused until Penn State disavows the false narrative it created. Twisting the meaning of the saying "don't shoot the messenger", our anger needs to be focused on the puppet masters in Old Main, not those dolts on that stage.

Last edited:
I was referencing another thread and not you specifically. I wouldn't suspect that someone with your IQ could understand.

That’s funny because when I read your post I just assumed someone with your IQ couldn’t keep track of what thread you’re in or with whom you are arguing. A condition a few others have around here....

True Narrative: Jerry Sandusky is a convicted child molester.
True Narrative: Jerry Sandusky is guilty.
True Narrative: Anyone arguing otherwise is not only insane, but questionable on their stance of pedophilia also.

Reactions: Pittston-Lion
Jerry's "guilt OR innocence"?

He was convicted and found guilty on 49 charges of child molestation. You can take the "or" out of there now.
There's a chance, slim as it may be, that come tomorrow, 'OR' will be the appropriate word to use.

So you were referencing another thread and not me... and you assume we all understand? That along with your ignorant name calling, and basic spelling errors is proof enough that my IQ dwarfs yours, but I'm still not clairvoyant.

I already explained this. When you don't want to stick up for the guy who did the right thing, you aren't highlighting those that actually failed. So nothing changes and the system is still broken. If the system is broken, more kids get abused. Please try to keep up.

So you were referencing another thread and not me... and you assume we all understand? That along with your ignorant name calling, and basic spelling errors is proof enough that my IQ dwarfs yours, but I'm still not clairvoyant.

I already explained this. When you don't want to stick up for the guy who did the right thing, you aren't highlighting those that actually failed. So nothing changes and the system is still broken. If the system is broken, more kids get abused. Please try to keep up.

The "ignore" feature works like a charm. "Show ignored content", lol. Put him on ignore, everyone else does.

Please try to utilize the few brain cells that you have.

Please try to utilize the few brain cells that you have.

So rather than try to stick up for yourself or your point of view, you try not only a poor attempt and an insult, but also a poor attempt at changing the subject?

socrates-pinterest.jpg

The "ignore" feature works like a charm. "Show ignored content", lol. Put him on ignore, everyone else does.

But then I wouldn't be able to toy with him... what fun would that be?

I really try to keep an open mind and not put people on ignore except for extreme circumstances. I only have one active poster on ignore these days, and I see he has posted in this thread. SSDD... Man I don't miss that broken record!

So rather than try to stick up for yourself or your point of view, you try not only a poor attempt and an insult, but also a poor attempt at changing the subject?

socrates-pinterest.jpg

Okay pandaczar12, I'll bite.

Your post was in response to another Bob rant trying to justify ranking restoring Paterno's reputation above all else. It's a reasonable assumption to believe that you support Bob's point, is it not?

What did you do to "defend" Paterno's honor in 2011-12, and what do you "think" needs to be done today? Did you go to games in 2011-12? Did you donate money to the university in 2011-12? Did you purchase PSU licensed goods in 2011-12? Did you watch PSU games in 2011-12?

The BOT bet that throwing Joe under the bus and backing up wouldn't lead to a decrease in any of the things I mentioned above. Guess what? They were right. The reason why they were right is because of message board blowhards who didn't have the balls to stop donating, stop watching, stop buying, etc.

No one in the public gives a rat's ass about Joe Paterno or Penn State anymore. Things are news for about 30 seconds before folks are on to something else. In the end, people still hate us, people still like us, and people are still indifferent. And no self-respecting Penn Stater should care.

So, again, the question is what do you think should/needs to be done to "defend" honor and "set the record" straight today? It had better be good, because no one gives a shit and no one is going to.

But then I wouldn't be able to toy with him... what fun would that be?

I really try to keep an open mind and not put people on ignore except for extreme circumstances. I only have one active poster on ignore these days, and I see he has posted in this thread. SSDD... Man I don't miss that broken record!
I always find it fascinating how these message board posters become so obsessed with the identity of other posters. It can be argued that real "insanity" would be, to try and locate I.P. addresses and match them to anonymous internet board posters in order to guess identities, lol. You cannot "know" someone's identity, without doing so, and if you are doing that, it's not only obsession, but it's borderline illegal.

I always find it fascinating how these message board posters become so obsessed with the identity of other posters. It can be argued that real "insanity" would be, to try and locate I.P. addresses and match them to anonymous internet board posters in order to guess identities, lol. You cannot "know" someone's identity, without doing so, and if you are doing that, it's not only obsession, but it's borderline illegal.

article_paranoid_schizophrenia_hdr.jpg

Reactions: 21.Guns
Okay pandaczar12, I'll bite.

Your post was in response to another Bob rant trying to justify ranking restoring Paterno's reputation above all else. It's a reasonable assumption to believe that you support Bob's point, is it not?

What did you do to "defend" Paterno's honor in 2011-12, and what do you "think" needs to be done today? Did you go to games in 2011-12? Did you donate money to the university in 2011-12? Did you purchase PSU licensed goods in 2011-12? Did you watch PSU games in 2011-12?

The BOT bet that throwing Joe under the bus and backing up wouldn't lead to a decrease in any of the things I mentioned above. Guess what? They were right. The reason why they were right is because of message board blowhards who didn't have the balls to stop donating, stop watching, stop buying, etc.

No one in the public gives a rat's ass about Joe Paterno or Penn State anymore. Things are news for about 30 seconds before folks are on to something else. In the end, people still hate us, people still like us, and people are still indifferent. And no self-respecting Penn Stater should care.

So, again, the question is what do you think should/needs to be done to "defend" honor and "set the record" straight today? It had better be good, because no one gives a shit and no one is going to.

After you once again turned to insults, belittling those with special needs... That rendered the rest of your post moot, so I didn't read it. Didn't you see the picture I posted in my last reply? Please try to keep up.

Did someone do that? I don't understand the relevance of your post.

Nobody said Joe should be forgotten about. The problem is when the JoeBots think the most important thing is somehow clearing his name, and continuing to embarrass the university, rather than accepting the fact that it’s over. People are tired of the minority who still think clearing his name is a priority. How many times have we waited for the bombshell that would clear him? It never came. The best argument JoeBots have is that he reported it.

Regardless, he’s dead. It’s time to move on.

Please move on then. And don't come back.

No IP addresses or no "borderline illegal" activity involved goober. You give yourself away with your mannerisms on a consistent basis because you just can't help yourself. You try to clean up your act, but sooner or later your fragile little ego gets the better of you and you make it all to easy for those of us that are excellent at reading people.

You bullied people for years under quite a few different names over the years on various boards, now when somebody gives it back to you you can't take it. Threatening people, challenging people to fights, telling people they weren't real fans if they didn't see things that same way you did....You want to act like a douche bag, people will treat you in kind.

No IP addresses or no "borderline illegal" activity involved goober. You give yourself away with your mannerisms on a consistent basis because you just can't help yourself. You try to clean up your act, but sooner or later your fragile little ego gets the better of you and you make it all to easy for those of us that are excellent at reading people.

You bullied people for years under quite a few different names over the years on various boards, now when somebody gives it back to you you can't take it. Threatening people, challenging people to fights, telling people they weren't real fans if they didn't see things that same way you did....You want to act like a douche bag, people will treat you in kind.

The constant trying to slur Joe and Penn State is fing old already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT