ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone else torn about Purdue-Michigan this weekend?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
I am genuinely stoked for Purdue. They are playing good football and I hope they continue to. The Big 10 western division needs more competitive teams.

As much as I can't stand Hardpaw and Michigan in general, I kind of want the hoopla of playing them with both teams undefeated under the lights, on national TV.

Do I want MI to win? No. It's more a case of possibly not wanting them to lose. On the other hand, if Purdue beats them, I'll be genuinely happy for the school, as well as taking some glee from watching Hairball on the sideline. But it might take some luster away from the game in October with them.

Anyone else with those feelings?

I am genuinely stoked for Purdue. They are playing good football and I hope they continue to. The Big 10 western division needs more competitive teams.

As much as I can't stand Hardpaw and Michigan in general, I kind of want the hoopla of playing them with both teams undefeated under the lights, on national TV.

Do I want MI to win? No. It's more a case of possibly not wanting them to lose. On the other hand, if Purdue beats them, I'll be genuinely happy for the school, as well as taking some glee from watching Hairball on the sideline. But it might take some luster away from the game in October with them.

Go chickens!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Purdue has been playing over their heads. Even with 10 starters gone from last year's defense, they are still better than Purdue.

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Purdue has been playing over their heads. Even with 10 starters gone from last year's defense, they are still better than Purdue.
Yep. Will be a close game that UM wins

Do I want MI to win? No

For Penn State to advance as far as possible, we need every other team (especially OSU and UM) to have at least one more conference loss than PSU. It doesn't matter where/when that conference loss comes from ... we just need them to have at least ONE MORE than PSU. So, each week, we want OSU and UM to lose (as well as MSU, MD, and Rutgers to be exact).

We beat OSU last year, won the division, and won the conference. Who got left out of the CFP? The team with one more loss. Boom.

We want Michigan UNDEFEATED coming into Happy Valley. Period.

Reactions: gogolion

Not torn

Go boilers

The goal is to win the East, and as another poster said, when an East team loses to a West team, that helps PSU win the East. To get to the big picture you need to first win the less-big picture. First things first, so pull for Purdue.

We have to take care of own business, so regardless of how many losses or wins any other team has, we have to be our best each week.

That said....
I cheer for every Michigan team, varsity and club, to lose every game.
I cheer for their intramural games to all end up 0-0.
(Is that wrong?)
In other words, I am cheering for Purdue to beat Michigan this Saturday in football, and for whoever plays Michigan to beat them on any given day or week or month or year.

The goal is to win the East, and as another poster said, when an East team loses to a West team, that helps PSU win the East. To get to the big picture you need to first win the less-big picture. First things first, so pull for Purdue.

Are you saying, "Take care of the little things, and the big things will take care of themselves"?
Good thought, Mike.

If PSU were to lose a game this year, I am hoping it is to OSU. If that happens, I hope OSU goes 10-2, and then wins the B10 Champ game.
That puts the playoff committee in an interesting position ....
11-1 PSU or 11-2 OSU
We all know PSU will be in right?

Outside of the things within our control, the goal is to host as many big-time college football games in Beaver Stadium as possible. This is why I like PSU, OSU, UM and MSU all in the same division. Pull for all our opponents to be undefeated going into our game and then for them to lose after that.

Nope, not torn. Go Purdue. Boiler up.

I'm not one to criticize who people root for, because rooting interests have no bearing on the game so you do you. But I am surprised at how many fans seem to overlook that once the conference switched to having divisions, rooting interests change. I will always root against any team from the B1G East when they play a team from the West. Always. PSU can't win the B1G without first winning the East division. To do that other East division foes need to lose.

Well...you need to have a strong strength of schedule first.... If we beat a couple loss team(s) in OSU and Michigan...does not really help us...thus I want them to IN outright...stating the obvious of course is that WE have to win.

Michigan beat Florida...who nows where they end up but...if Michigan goes the year with 1 LOSS ( against PSU) and we win East..that's GOOD...same thing with OSU though they would have 2 losses i.e. Oklahoma and PSU...

Well...you need to have a strong strength of schedule first.... If we beat a couple loss team(s) in OSU and Michigan...does not really help us...thus I want them to IN outright...stating the obvious of course is that WE have to win.

Michigan beat Florida...who nows where they end up but...if Michigan goes the year with 1 LOSS ( against PSU) and we win East..that's GOOD...same thing with OSU though they would have 2 losses i.e. Oklahoma and PSU...
"Strength of Schedule", now where did I hear that before? Trying to remember? Oh yes, Washington, last year. They had almost none, and they made it to the CFP.

Go Boilers.

Very few teams go undefeated anymore, regardless of who they are. So counting on an undefeated season is risky at best. So assuming PSU is going to have one loss, then the other teams in the East have to lose two. It's easy to say just win, but almost nobody goes undefeated.

Reactions: Bob78 and Nitwit
I want all other teams in Big 10 east to lose so we get to the championship game. We win the BIG again, I'll worry about the playoffs later. F OSU and MICH.

Last edited:
Very few teams go undefeated anymore, regardless of who they are. So counting on an undefeated season is risky at best. So assuming PSU is going to have one loss, then the other teams in the East have to lose two. It's easy to say just win, but almost nobody goes undefeated.

Agree sans Alabama...all of last years Final BCS picks had 1 loss...but they were "good" losses...even more important were their "good" wins...Winning the BIG East against some of our rivals with multiple losses...to me...is not good...my .02...

Purdue is noticeably better (good for them) but Michigan will be too tough, they roll them in the second half. If Purdue pulls the upset it won't hurt my feelings, but UM would have to really soil the sheets.

Agree sans Alabama...all of last years Final BCS picks had 1 loss...but they were "good" losses...even more important were their "good" wins...Winning the BIG East against some of our rivals with multiple losses...to me...is not good...my .02...
But if we have one loss and UM has one loss who do you think is going to the playoffs? UM with a win over Florida or PSU with a win over Pitt? Even if we beat UM, I would say we're left out....and I wouldn't have enough confidence in the selection committee to leave it in their hands.

Reactions: odshowtime
But if we have one loss and UM has one loss who do you think is going to the playoffs? UM with a win over Florida or PSU with a win over Pitt? Even if we beat UM, I would say we're left out....and I wouldn't have enough confidence in the selection committee to leave it in their hands.

Our loss would have to be against an inferior opponent...not Michigan or OSU...and IF we did lose against an unranked team...hard as it is for me to admit...but we would not belong "assuming" Michigan runs the table AFER a loss to us and has a 1 loss record.

Last year...if we had 1 loss...no way they keep us out...but we had TWO losses prior to selections...thats what killed us IMO...

Our loss would have to be against an inferior opponent...not Michigan or OSU...and IF we did lose against an unranked team...hard as it is for me to admit...but we would not belong "assuming" Michigan runs the table AFER a loss to us and has a 1 loss record.

Last year...if we had 1 loss...no way they keep us out...but we had TWO losses prior to selections...thats what killed us IMO...
Your first paragraph is exactly why I want all East teams to lose. So if we beat UM, but they end up with one loss and we have one loss, they should go to the playoffs? Really? Head to head should matter more than anything and that was PSU's argument last year.

I want to win the East and then the Big Ten Title. The more losses the better for the rest of the East.

Reactions: Nitwit
Your first paragraph is exactly why I want all East teams to lose. So if we beat UM, but they end up with one loss and we have one loss, they should go to the playoffs? Really? Head to head should matter more than anything and that was PSU's argument last year.

PSU had TWO losses...IF we had 1...we go against Ohio State and Washington...I can"t help but think that the committee weighed heavily on our TWO losses versus the other teams with only 1 loss.

I totally get what you are saying...totally...

No. Michigan can't lose often enough for my taste.

PSU had TWO losses...IF we had 1...we go against Ohio State and Washington...I can"t help but think that the committee weighed heavily on our TWO losses versus the other teams with only 1 loss.

I totally get what you are saying...totally...
Exactly, so two losses for UM is better as is two losses for OSU and one or none for PSU.

Reactions: nittnee

No, I want Purdue to kick their butts. I even rooted for Oklahoma against OSU
and I hate everything about Oklahoma.

Exactly, so two losses for UM is better as is two losses for OSU and one or none for PSU.

I get your point..in the end...we just have to win...perhaps we should be thinking the way Bama does...don't lose and beat ALL of your opponents...don't care what the others do...Go State !

Not at all. I'll be rooting for Purdue 100 percent.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Purdue is playing above their talent level. This week reality will set in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT