ADVERTISEMENT

Is 2019 a potential title run?

Not good logic here. OSU plays AT MSU the week before Mich —not exactly a rest before The Game.

This MSU team lost to northwestern. They aren’t good as much as everyone here wants to pretend they are. Second that has nothing to do with my point. I wasn’t arguing they have easy games prior to playing UM.

Reactions: psu2016
I believe Sanders and Miller will leave. I used to think Johnson would be in that group before the season started, as well, but I don’t see a way to justify him leaving with the year he’s had. I know there are folks out there who see either McGovern and/or Bates leaving early, but I just don’t see either as the Quentin Nelson type of interior lineman who goes mid-high first rounder and think they both return.

As for 2019, it depends on the quarterback play. I’d be more optimistic about the potential for a special season if Clifford wins the job in camp. I don’t see Stevens providing us with anything close to the level of QB play we’ve gotten from Trace.
Agree that to expect the next QB to be as productive as TM is unrealistic. Fans will appreciate him more after he is gone.

Taking the coaching out of it for a minute, do we have a chance at a major run next year from a talent perspective?

I say yes. We lose very few contributors and are bringing in another top 10 class (likely). I’m only including those with meaningful snaps taken in 18, but I only see 5 guys gone next year who are getting meaningful reps right now (McSorley, Thompkins, Oruwariye, Farmer, Scott). The rest are deep reserves (Thomas, Cooper) or out injured (Allen).

There will be early departures but who’s ready for the league? Maybe Garrett sickles can give them advice about leaving early. I see almost no locks to go high in the draft.

Franklin and crew will have zero excuses and it’s make or break imo. Franklin needs to stop being cute by hugging every parking lot attendant and actually coach up all of this talent.

And holy shit Pry - make the DB’s work with a jugs machine.

There are quite a few low post counts and frequent haters chiming in here. Can't have people thinking positively or rationally right? There have been quite a few posters posing as Penn St fans and quite a few with agendas this weekend.

The bottom line is that the OP is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

It's very hard to not lose only 5 that get playing time and not be much improved. Of those 5, 1 has lost his starting job, 1 is being outplayed in split time with a true freshmen, and 1 is often ragged on by fans as a weak point on the defense. And I think the OP is right that none of the top returners should attempt to go to the draft early. I don't see any that would be definite early rounders and some if they went would end up undrafted.

So I think we will return alot of experience, more talent will be infused with the current redshirts starting to contribute, and likely at least a couple of the incoming class that are immediately ready like a Brandon Smith or Lance Dixon at LB where we can improve. Micah would have had an entire offseason at LB to grow an not make so many true freshmen at a new position mistakes. WR will almost certainly improve even if just from the current redshirts but maybe there is a true freshmen ready there as well. I think another 5 star back in the rotation will probably help. I loved what I saw of Kuntz and he'll be thick enough next year to contribute and Friermuth will no longer be a true freshmen. An entire OL returning and all but 1 of the 2 deep back has to help. I would think the DLine will get a serious boost with experience and some of the young guys we are playing and redshirting being ready. I think we have the corners already to not miss Amani O too badly. Sutherland and Brisker are going to be serious players at safety. Basically, outside of QB, every postion should be better, more talented, and more experienced.

Also, don't discount that this 2018 has very few senior leaders. We are almost entirely a Jr and Soph lead team. Next year, those Jrs will be Srs, the Sophs will be Jrs. The team will be much more mature to take advantage of their opportunities. We are not far at all away right now. A few points. A play or two in 2 games. Seniors tend to make those plays.

The schedule other than Ohio St being away is generally much easier. Crossover games are more foregiving and Ohio St and Mich get the tougher crossovers.

Those who come on this thread to take their jabs are either NOT Penn St fans or not very good ones. They are thinking emotionally. Rational thought tells you we are much better at nearly every position next year and actually have some serious senior presence on the field. The schedule is a little easier. We are a little hungrier.

Last edited:
No. I don’t think they go into the shoe and beat OSU and that’s what you need to do to win the division. The schedule helps a bit in that we play rutgers the week after osu so maybe we won’t let them beat us twice in the same season unlike the past two. It’s one of the reasons osu/um as the last game every season is bs. Neither has to risk a hangover game after their giant rivalry.

The loses have been failures in all aspects of the game. It’s not just one area that needs to improve, it’s everything.
You do realize PSU outlplayed tOSU last year at the Shoe and dominated the game this year...just didn't finish drives when the opportunity presented itself, but that doesn't change the fact PSU played mighty tOSU toe to toe both on the road and at home the last 2 years with lesser talent...The talent on the field for PSU is getting better all the time and will be even better next year....so I don't count that as an automatic loss. PSU needs to find a way and learn to close out games. Every loss in the last 3 years since the Michigan blowout has come down to the 4th Q. and not making a few plays. So, stop with all the negativity! Yes we would like to see the Lions win them all, but that rarely happens in college football.

You do realize PSU outlplayed tOSU last year at the Shoe and dominated the game this year...just didn't finish drives when the opportunity presented itself, but that doesn't change the fact PSU played mighty tOSU toe to toe both on the road and at home the last 2 years with lesser talent...The talent on the field for PSU is getting better all the time and will be even better next year....so I don't count that as an automatic loss. PSU needs to find a way and learn to close out games. Every loss in the last 3 years since the Michigan blowout has come down to the 4th Q. and not making a few plays. So, stop with all the negativity! Yes we would like to see the Lions win them all, but that rarely happens in college football.

Yes I watched both games and Penn state should have won both. I don’t think the staff can win big games consistently and until they prove it I’m going to lower expectations, seems to be the theme of the sunshine pumpers anyway, as many here say we all must do. Could they win, sure it won’t shock me if they pull off the upset but I wouldn’t bet the mortgage on it. I’ll settle for them beating Michigan state on the road next year, which I don’t think they will. Yay lowered expectations.

Taking the coaching out of it for a minute, do we have a chance at a major run next year from a talent perspective?

I say yes. We lose very few contributors and are bringing in another top 10 class (likely). I’m only including those with meaningful snaps taken in 18, but I only see 5 guys gone next year who are getting meaningful reps right now (McSorley, Thompkins, Oruwariye, Farmer, Scott). The rest are deep reserves (Thomas, Cooper) or out injured (Allen).

There will be early departures but who’s ready for the league? Maybe Garrett sickles can give them advice about leaving early. I see almost no locks to go high in the draft.

Franklin and crew will have zero excuses and it’s make or break imo. Franklin needs to stop being cute by hugging every parking lot attendant and actually coach up all of this talent.

And holy shit Pry - make the DB’s work with a jugs machine.

No. There will be a new QB, and Sanders will probably leave. Sanders is probably our best player right now.

This MSU team lost to northwestern. They aren’t good as much as everyone here wants to pretend they are. Second that has nothing to do with my point. I wasn’t arguing they have easy games prior to playing UM.

Not sure anyone is arguing MSU is that good ... that being said last year we lost to a OSU team that lost to Iowa by 31. In other words that part of your argument really falls apart extremely quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT