ADVERTISEMENT

Is 2019 a potential title run?

fkkkjm

Jun 2, 2007
Taking the coaching out of it for a minute, do we have a chance at a major run next year from a talent perspective?

I say yes. We lose very few contributors and are bringing in another top 10 class (likely). I’m only including those with meaningful snaps taken in 18, but I only see 5 guys gone next year who are getting meaningful reps right now (McSorley, Thompkins, Oruwariye, Farmer, Scott). The rest are deep reserves (Thomas, Cooper) or out injured (Allen).

There will be early departures but who’s ready for the league? Maybe Garrett sickles can give them advice about leaving early. I see almost no locks to go high in the draft.

Franklin and crew will have zero excuses and it’s make or break imo. Franklin needs to stop being cute by hugging every parking lot attendant and actually coach up all of this talent.

And holy shit Pry - make the DB’s work with a jugs machine.

No. I don’t think they go into the shoe and beat OSU and that’s what you need to do to win the division. The schedule helps a bit in that we play rutgers the week after osu so maybe we won’t let them beat us twice in the same season unlike the past two. It’s one of the reasons osu/um as the last game every season is bs. Neither has to risk a hangover game after their giant rivalry.

The loses have been failures in all aspects of the game. It’s not just one area that needs to improve, it’s everything.

Reactions: JJTopp99
I believe Sanders and Miller will leave. I used to think Johnson would be in that group before the season started, as well, but I don’t see a way to justify him leaving with the year he’s had. I know there are folks out there who see either McGovern and/or Bates leaving early, but I just don’t see either as the Quentin Nelson type of interior lineman who goes mid-high first rounder and think they both return.

As for 2019, it depends on the quarterback play. I’d be more optimistic about the potential for a special season if Clifford wins the job in camp. I don’t see Stevens providing us with anything close to the level of QB play we’ve gotten from Trace.

You can’t go into a title run with 2 guaranteed annual losses and 1 semi-annual guaranteed loss. As long as Franklin is MSU/osu bitch and Michigan’s semi-bitch; these convos are just dumb.

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Taking the coaching out of it for a minute, do we have a chance at a major run next year from a talent perspective?

I say yes. We lose very few contributors and are bringing in another top 10 class (likely). I’m only including those with meaningful snaps taken in 18, but I only see 5 guys gone next year who are getting meaningful reps right now (McSorley, Thompkins, Oruwariye, Farmer, Scott). The rest are deep reserves (Thomas, Cooper) or out injured (Allen).

There will be early departures but who’s ready for the league? Maybe Garrett sickles can give them advice about leaving early. I see almost no locks to go high in the draft.

Franklin and crew will have zero excuses and it’s make or break imo. Franklin needs to stop being cute by hugging every parking lot attendant and actually coach up all of this talent.

3-11 vs the big three since Franklin joined PSU and you are talking title run? Michigan State owns Franklin. Ohio State owns Franklin. Michigan, despite last years game, owns Franklin.

No. Honestly and I know I will take some heat for this...but I don't see PSU winning a national title in my lifetime...and I am not that old. I just don't. I think we will consistently be a 9-3 team with occasional (every 5-6 years) big ten title.

No. Honestly and I know I will take some heat for this...but I don't see PSU winning a national title in my lifetime...and I am not that old. I just don't. I think we will consistently be a 9-3 team with occasional (every 5-6 years) big ten title.

Things ebb and flow. That said I don’t see us winning one while Meyer is at Osu. Even the season we beat them they got the nod over us. Franklin has a lot of egg on his face for all that great talk two weeks ago. Yesterday was a long way from great let alone elite.

I'm willing to lay down money on a playoff appearance on one condition, and that one condition is that McSorley's replacement is ready for the Big stage. Just about the rest of the team is coming back.

If Tommy or Clifford are ready to step up then I don't see why not. We don't lose that much and it's clear most of the best talent on this team is in the freshmen class. I wouldn't guarantee it, but the negativity on this board is a little much. The loss yesterday was awful, but this team had OSU on the ropes. There's a good base to work with

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, this is rich. Does Texas A & M win national titles? Because that is who we are, the Texas A & M of the big 10. The name that all the great programs beat. We might have the occasional big win, even maybe a conference title if everything breaks right for us, but national title? No. Not with this regime.

And that could be said about almost every team in the country other than three or four. In today’s landscape it takes a whole lot more than a coach to make the playoffs. You need the media on your side, you need a favorable schedule, you need facilities that are equal or better than everyone else’s, you need to be pretty lax on your entrance requirements, you need the right combination of players to come of age at the right time, and you need a conference that works to get teams into the playoffs as opposed to trying to keep them out (Bama’s schedule is designed for exactly that).

Reactions: JJTopp99 and 81b&w
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, this is rich. Does Texas A & M win national titles? Because that is who we are, the Texas A & M of the big 10. The name that all the great programs beat. We might have the occasional big win, even maybe a conference title if everything breaks right for us, but national title? No. Not with this regime.
That means we’re also Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Stanford, Texas, Oklahoma State, Miami, and jus about everyone else because they aren’t winning NC’s either.

Texas A&M does not even deserve in the conversation as PSU. We may never win a national title again but we at least have a few. I do not understand fascination with TAMU...what have they ever won. I don't recall them ever even winning a conference title.

I just looked it up...last conference title in 1998 and that was the big 12...prior to that they won some in the Southwest Conference or whatever it was called.

That means we’re also Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Stanford, Texas, Oklahoma State, Miami, and jus about everyone else because they aren’t winning NC’s either.
Of course that could be said about most teams...my point was that we are not Alabama....we are not one of those few teams that can do it. I am almost of the opinion that besides ohio state I really don't see a team outside of the south doing it.

Of course that could be said about most teams...my point was that we are not Alabama....we are not one of those few teams that can do it. I am almost of the opinion that besides ohio state I really don't see a team outside of the south doing it.
Exactly...recruiting base is so important and we don’t have the base we used to. I listened to the recruiting show on ESPN radio the other day and they were discussing the uncommitted five stars still out there...every one of them has Bama in their mix. They also have Georgia and OSU.

I say yes, it's possible, but unlikely:

1. QB will be a surprising upgrade. Sorry, but that's how I see it. Not seeing a problem there despite what the media is likely to trump during the offseason with McSorley's departure. That said, Trace has been fantastic given his physical tools.
  2. The offensive system needs to change, and drastically, right down to the blocking schemes. This is the main reason I don't see a championship run. We will stubbornly hold on for a few more years to something that "appeared" to work under Moorhead. But now the rest of the conference has film. We might throw in a short yardage / run game "package," but it will be limited, and like the Lion Position, once on film the tendencies will be easily defended. A new OC might get around this problem, but I actually don't see Franklin taking this step just yet.
  3. A defensive leader at middle linebacker needs to emerge. I'm not seeing this either. Just don't see who that would be.

Last edited:
I say yes, it's possible, but unlikely:
  1. A defensive leader at middle linebacker needs to emerge. I'm not seeing this either. Just don't see who that would be.

I have no idea, but I have a feeling that between Brooks and Luketa, you will see a badass emerge in 2019 and 2020 at MLB.

On another note — Good lord is Farmer bad. On one play he jumped on the MSU RB’s back and dragged him to the ground by his neck. Worst tackling form I’ve ever seen from a senior PSU linebacker.

Franklin probably doesn’t feel like practicing tackling is required, it’s more about situational football.

No. I don’t think they go into the shoe and beat OSU and that’s what you need to do to win the division. The schedule helps a bit in that we play rutgers the week after osu so maybe we won’t let them beat us twice in the same season unlike the past two. It’s one of the reasons osu/um as the last game every season is bs. Neither has to risk a hangover game after their giant rivalry.

The loses have been failures in all aspects of the game. It’s not just one area that needs to improve, it’s everything.
Not good logic here. OSU plays AT MSU the week before Mich —not exactly a rest before The Game.

I’m going to get my frustrations out one last time this weekend.
We had *9* 4 star recruits on offense out there yesterday and they couldn’t generate one first down to ice the game. These players are overrated or under-coached and either of those choices does not bode well for any playoff run for the foreseeable future.

Ok, that’s the last rant for the week. Let’s win the next one.

3-11 vs the big three since Franklin joined PSU and you are talking title run? Michigan State owns Franklin. Ohio State owns Franklin. Michigan, despite last years game, owns Franklin.

I don't think it is fair to include Franklin's first year. With the reduced scholarships, we were effectively a IAA program

But Rose Bowl onward, and given the chokes, yeah, the criticism is reasonable.

Reactions: psu2016

Too vague. I'll help you.

Noooooooooooo !!!

Too many top players lost to injury have prevented the assembly of top talent, experienced depth, and there are still some positions where not enough top talent has been recruited and what top talent there is, is still too young (DE injuries, DT talent and experience, OT depth after losing big Nana, no real playmaking LB's at this point in the LB roster development, .....)

Change of QB's. To the chagrin of the Stevens lovers, he will not be as good as Trace is now, Trace being a 3rd year starter.

Going to oh-high-ya stadium

Playmakers not at championship level, with some of the issue being experience. Sanders is very good, not elite, Slade looks good but not a championship leader - will Ford be the next top RB?. WR's are showing this year that they are a very average group (other than Hamler), and hopefully the true freshmen can emerge next year to upgrade but that is still just a hope.......

I could go on, but I'm watching the mediocre Steelers....

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Exactly...recruiting base is so important and we don’t have the base we used to. I listened to the recruiting show on ESPN radio the other day and they were discussing the uncommitted five stars still out there...every one of them has Bama in their mix. They also have Georgia and OSU.
Consistently winning on the field is a much better recruiting tool than having a head coach with an engaging personality.

No.. I have a better chance at winning Power Ball. They won't even win the Big Ten.

I don't "like" this (although I did) but I completely agree with it. I did not believe Franklin would move far beyond 8-4 in most years and then in 2016 and 2017 he proved me wrong. Were the successes of 2016 and 2017 simply Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley and a good defense? We will find out because Franklin isn't going anywhere unless he wants to leave (or starts crapping the bed against teams like Rutgers and Maryland).

I don't see a Big Ten title anytime soon either, not as long as Meyer and Harbaugh stay where they are. I am tempted to add Dantonio as well.

And with all that, I think Franklin won't finish better than 3rd in the B1G East until Meyer and/or Harbaugh leaves. Maybe not even then.

Reactions: jimjim47
Yes, I don’t want to be lumped in with them, either. and I am fairly certain those programs are not as agonizingly close or have imploded at crucial times over the last two years. Getting to the big moments and then coming up or short, or more accurately, having victory only to squander it in the final moments. That is what we are talking about here. The original post was will there be a title run next year. The answer is a big N-O.

Texas A&M does not even deserve in the conversation as PSU. We may never win a national title again but we at least have a few. I do not understand fascination with TAMU...what have they ever won. I don't recall them ever even winning a conference title.

I just looked it up...last conference title in 1998 and that was the big 12...prior to that they won some in the Southwest Conference or whatever it was called.

I dunno. A&M has Jimbo. I believe he will build the Aggies into a force. And he may be there well after Nick retires.

0092353-lxcr-1280x720.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT