ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

Congratulations to Iowa. They had a strong lineup top to bottom and the bonus point scorers in Lee, Disanto, Eirman, and Kem that allowed them to stack team points despite having less finalists. They won. Tip of the cap to them. Now having said all that bring on 2022. I don't care who comes back for Iowa, Cornell, or OK State. IMO we're the favorites. The upside for guys like Robbie, Kerk, and Beau will be huge with some additional time hitting the weights. Get Beard to focus on his conditioning and we could be looking at 4-5 Finalists and 8-9 AA.

I enjoyed the joke but four 5th-year guys isn’t really a big deal and you guys almost had Rasheed and Cassar back for 6th or 7th years, lol

I mean, how much is an NCAA championship worth when you’re talking about post-grad stipends, applying for coaching positions, starting your own club, etc? It sure can’t hurt, right? Plus, these guys have probably grown up wrestling as far back as they can remember and probably think they’ll be involved in the sport for the rest of their lives.

I think if I got a chance to put off adulthood and chase an NCAA championship, I’d probably go for it. Hell, I almost re-enlisted after a six-year contract to put off adulthood! My buddies still call me Archibald Henderson, haha!

I don't think he was talking about Iowa. What he meant is that those older college guys in post WWII had gone through something that makes most of what we do today look like a cakewalk.

Reactions: diggerpup
Some of the guys mentioned above are apparently contemplating a 6th or 7th year. That's a cost to the family as you said...and not just in terms of dollars.
Not sure how it works. Can some edumacate me? If there are 9.9 skollies, can’t a skool deploy them however they want, including to someone that is in their 6th year and rec’d a full ride for all 6 years?

Isn't there a 9.9 exception for this? As long as the athletic department is willing to shell out, they'll be back. Small price to pay for back to back titles.

I thought all the NCAA did was grant the extra year of eligibility. I could be wrong but I think the coaches still need to manage to the 9.9 scholarships.

I thought all the NCAA did was grant the extra year of eligibility. I could be wrong but I think the coaches still need to manage to the 9.9 scholarships.

“In addition to extending eligibility, the NCAA also adjusted their financial aid requirements by allowing teams to retain returning athletes without counting against scholarship limits.”

“In addition to extending eligibility, the NCAA also adjusted their financial aid requirements by allowing teams to retain returning athletes without counting against scholarship limits.”

Cool. What does that mean? If Kemerer is getting $5K, he can get that same $5K next year?

Also, someone said it earlier. I guess there are other things they can do. Fabricate academic scholarships, payment for coaching at an RTC,

Reactions: dsites52
Congratulations to Iowa. They had a strong lineup top to bottom and the bonus point scorers in Lee, Disanto, Eirman, and Kem that allowed them to stack team points despite having less finalists. They won. Tip of the cap to them. Now having said all that bring on 2022. I don't care who comes back for Iowa, Cornell, or OK State. IMO we're the favorites. The upside for guys like Robbie, Kerk, and Beau will be huge with some additional time hitting the weights. Get Beard to focus on his conditioning and we could be looking at 4-5 Finalists and 8-9 AA.
I remember my first beer.

Isn't there a 9.9 exception for this? As long as the athletic department is willing to shell out, they'll be back. Small price to pay for back to back titles.
Like to know the philosophy behind another title. They squeeked by this year and we had six freshman in the line up who will only get better. I get on paper iowa should win but on paper this year they should have blown is out by seventy points I'm guessing Kemmerer the bull and riddler all go. Murin may as well go he's holding up talent and young will be gone. That's a lot of holes

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Congrats to Iowa. They have an excellent team from top to bottom. No weak weights. Mostly, they are looking to score points when they can. Great to see a line-up loaded with PA kids. Spencer is Spencer, he was special when he showed up and is one of the best of all time. DeSanto, honestly we are from the same area and a coach I respect thought he would wash out. Consistently improved and appears to be much more under control....well done. Kem, what can you say, the kid is all class, built himself up and should cruise past Carter, much as I hate it. He has great offense, defense and wrestles well on the mat. Marinelli, I'll never understand his aversion to nationals, but face it, his battles with Cenzo are epic. There are other guys on their team but this core group is really really good and they deserve the title.

They friggen earned it when everyone was targeting them.

There will be plenty of folks who don't take the free year, but 2022 is going to be wild.

Congrats to Iowa. They have an excellent team from top to bottom. No weak weights. Mostly, they are looking to score points when they can. Great to see a line-up loaded with PA kids. Spencer is Spencer, he was special when he showed up and is one of the best of all time. DeSanto, honestly we are from the same area and a coach I respect thought he would wash out. Consistently improved and appears to be much more under control....well done. Kem, what can you say, the kid is all class, built himself up and should cruise past Carter, much as I hate it. He has great offense, defense and wrestles well on the mat. Marinelli, I'll never understand his aversion to nationals, but face it, his battles with Cenzo are epic. There are other guys on their team but this core group is really really good and they deserve the title.

There will be plenty of folks who don't take the free year, but 2022 is going to be wild.
Guys that have been in school for as long as the guys from Iowa have been are losers.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
M* is a solid recruiter. Shifting the focus from high school kids to other schools active rosters is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Not to sound like Sour Grapes, but isn’t it tampering or similar to actively recruit a student-athlete on another D-1 roster?

I just assumed the athlete had to enter the transfer portal first ?

Not to sound like Sour Grapes, but isn’t it tampering or similar to actively recruit a student-athlete on another D-1 roster?

Yes, a coach can’t reach out to an athlete at another school. The student has to reach out first, or now the transfer portal give a coach the Greenlight to recruit.

Everyone on the Iowa team has said they are coming back. Some rumors Marinelli may now leave, that is their worst case scenario. Where Griffith ends up will be the huge if it happens to be Iowa or PSU.
Either way next year we will need some breaks/improvement to beat them.

This is the kinda crap that irritates the bejeezus out of me! The relentless positivity! Are you guys all freakin’ Mormons or something!?!

Bah Humbug!

LOL

All that has to happen to keep it legal is for a few middlemen to be involved that prevent direct communication between an athlete and a coach. For example (not saying this happened), friend of the Iowa program (RTC coach) talks to O'Toole's high school/club coach or vice versa.

Interesting that Marinelli would not come back. He has not won a national championship which would eat at most people with his talent. His wife is the Director of Operations for the Iowa program, he is probably an Iowa state resident and probably gets discounted tuition through his wife...money is probably not an issue.

Definitely can see guys moving on, some can get paid to wrestle for a RTC instead of paying to wrestle at Iowa or anywhere else... of course there is get on with your life. After all, if you have accomplished a lot of your goals that are realistic, wrestling is a tough sport to keep doing. No matter how much fun you try to make it, cutting weight sucks. Even most of the PSU guys are still wrestling below their walking around weight which just gets old.

Note- That is only for this year's seniors who elect to take the additional year. They will not count towards the 9.9 next season. All underclassmen who elect to take an additional year will count towards the 9.9. For teams with a lot of seniors, it can be an advantage. Teams that are heavy with junior starters are going have some serious decision to make if some of those guys want an additional year.

Reactions: mcruny42
Correct, but Iowa has a ton of seniors (including your three finalists, I think?) so they could come and not count. PSU has one finalist who would count. I am not opposed to the waiver, just answering someone’s question from above.

Like to know the philosophy behind another title. They squeeked by this year and we had six freshman in the line up who will only get better. I get on paper iowa should win but on paper this year they should have blown is out by seventy points I'm guessing Kemmerer the bull and riddler all go. Murin may as well go he's holding up talent and young will be gone. That's a lot of holes
Well the whole conversation revolves around Kem, Bull, and Eierman coming back, so what are you talking about? Plus, it's not about what you think. You don't think the Iowa athletic department believes they can repeat next year if they cover a few extra scholarships? Sure it was closer than expected (we'll see), but they won getting basically nothing from Marinelli and Murin. They have Assad still on the bench who has wins over the 3rd and 4th place finishers. They left a lot of points out there this weekend.

Everyone on the Iowa team has said they are coming back. Some rumors Marinelli may now leave, that is their worst case scenario. Where Griffith ends up will be the huge if it happens to be Iowa or PSU.
Either way next year we will need some breaks/improvement to beat them.
Word has it young is leaving

Shane Griffith is such an impressive, thoughtful, articulate young man.

Zero chance a kid that thoughtful & poised goes to Iowa City to hang in a gym with that wacko sociopath Terry Brands.

Well the whole conversation revolves around Kem, Bull, and Eierman coming back, so what are you talking about? Plus, it's not about what you think. You don't think the Iowa athletic department believes they can repeat next year if they cover a few extra scholarships? Sure it was closer than expected (we'll see), but they won getting basically nothing from Marinelli and Murin. They have Assad still on the bench who has wins over the 3rd and 4th place finishers. They left a lot of points out there this weekend.
Not as many as we will make up. All of our guys wrestled better than their seed and they all have room to improve I think most of iowa's seniors will not come back but hey that's why they wrestle. My point was it's not like this year when iowa was the clear favorite. That ship has sailed

First off, congrats to Iowa. I am sure last night was bittersweet, but the fans will take the Natty in the long run and I am sure it will just add to the back and forth.

As a fan of PSU, I say let the Iowa guys move on, making next years path easier for the good guys. As a fan of college wrestling, I say let them all come back and let's have an epic battle next march ala 2018 in Cleveland, this time a couple hours north in Detroit! I have only been fortunate to be at a few NCAAs but that Bo pin was absolutely incredible. Give me another one of those, winner take all bouts on Saturday night (174?) And for that matter, it could be a pretty crazy 3 or 4 team race depending on what Okie State does and if Micic comes back (along with Massa and Amine) and if UM gets Woods.

Interesting that Marinelli would not come back. He has not won a national championship which would eat at most people with his talent. His wife is the Director of Operations for the Iowa program, he is probably an Iowa state resident and probably gets discounted tuition through his wife...money is probably not an issue.

UIowa doesn’t offer any tuition discount for spouses or children of employees. The spouse does automatically qualify for in state tuition rate regardless of their state residency status

2018 Comparison of BigTen Tuition Benefits

Reading the tea leaves it doesn’t sound like Iowa’s entire starting lineup is going to return next year. Tom talks about it twice in the 9:00 interview. That’s my take, anyway....

Reactions: tbay165
I would be surprised if they return their entire lineup. Lots of rumblings about Marinelli and Young. If Kemerer won last night, I would think he might be gone as well but now not so sure. Even Spencer Lee has to seriously consider a redshirt to get his ACLs fixed, it can't be good for him to continue to wrestler without getting them repaired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT