ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

jlg8875

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2005
It looks like Iowa has 5 of its 10 starters listed as seniors. Is this a free legibility year for these wrestlers because if Covid like football is or is Iowa losing half of their lineup?

Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, and Kemerer are seniors but can return next year due to covid. I think Young has already indicated that he is not returning. There will be a lot of pressure on the school with money to keep everyone including new recruits. PSU is not in that situation, except for Nick Lee who I think uses little scholarship money.

Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, and Kemerer are seniors but can return next year due to covid. I think Young has already indicated that he is not returning. There will be a lot of pressure on the school with money to keep everyone including new recruits. PSU is not in that situation, except for Nick Lee who I think uses little scholarship money.
Not in 2021-2022 maybe, but every school that has wrestlers stay for a 5th year of eligibility will pay the piper at some point. It'll be delayed until those 5th years happen, that's all, which will impact scholarship $$$'s down the road.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Not in 2021-2022 maybe, but every school that has wrestlers stay for a 5th year of eligibility will pay the piper at some point. It'll be delayed until those 5th years happen, that's all, which will impact scholarship $$$'s down the road.

Those 5 are all out of state kids...Iowa costs $40K+/year for non-Iowans. Will they all opt to come back given that expense? 9.9 scholarships only goes so far when you have Patrick Kennedy waiting in the wings and top 10 recruits Ayala (IA) & Henson (PA) coming in.

Reactions: ccdiver
Not to be a total smart ass, but your thinking is wrong.
Nick will be at 141, Van Ness will be at 149 and Beau will redshirt.
Sounds like a good plan.

How about 165?

and maybe at 125 we see Robbie take a redshirt to let his shoulder heal, etc. and Steen wrestles?

Those 5 are all out of state kids...Iowa costs $40K+/year for non-Iowans. Will they all opt to come back given that expense? 9.9 scholarships only goes so far when you have Patrick Kennedy waiting in the wings and top 10 recruits Ayala (IA) & Henson (PA) coming in.
I personally believe that the biggest single factor for student-athlete's taking that 5th year of eligibility, not just for wrestling, but all sports, is financial. And by financial, I mean the cost to the family.

Reactions: Sullivan
I personally believe that the biggest single factor for student-athlete's taking that 5th year of eligibility, not just for wrestling, but all sports, is financial. And by financial, I mean the cost to the family.

Some of the guys mentioned above are apparently contemplating a 6th or 7th year. That's a cost to the family as you said...and not just in terms of dollars.

Some of the guys mentioned above are apparently contemplating a 6th or 7th year. That's a cost to the family as you said...and not just in terms of dollars.
Our group has talked around this issue several times in the past week. So many factors. Money to the family is a factor, and as said a significant one, but how many 22, 23, 24, 25, even 26 year olds just want to move on with their lives. If it's wrestling, they can hitch on to an RTC. If not they can get a job in their chosen profession. This Covid year has created a dynamic never experienced before, so we'll have to let it play out. It'll be a very personal choice, with family input for sure.

...Howard looked small compared to a couple of the kids he wrestled in this tournament ...
He was smaller than every kid he wrestled in this tournament, not a couple. I think Robbie will be just fine staying at 125 and growing into the weight a bit.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
He was smaller than every kid he wrestled in this tournament, not a couple. I think Robbie will be just fine staying at 125 and growing into the weight a bit.

not sure what you were watching. Howard is very good size for a 125 pounder. He just needs to work on his getting out from Bottom.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Have heard the same thing about PSU. Coaches figure these things out.

Have heard the same thing about PSU. Coaches figure these things out.

That is true of course.

But how many guys does PSU have in that position in this unique season? One - Nick Lee. Coaches can figure out one.

Iowa has 5. Lee coming back makes sense...he's got a chance to add Iowa to the list of schools that have a 4 time champion as well as Olympic aspirations. I'm not saying Brands can't or won't for Iowa. But of the 4 remaining what is driving them to return?

How will Brands figure out paying for all 5? "Hey, you other guys...you (& your family) are all taking one for the team ($$$) so we can return grandpa and your great uncles so Iowa can win its 24th title. Then we'll only be 10 behind Oklahoma State."

Reactions: diggerpup
There is a rumor going around that several of the hawks will have offseason side hustles selling reverse mortgages.

I think they may also pitch gold and silver shares instead of BTC....crazy I know
I heard Marinelli and Austin Adesanya are Advocare Reps.

Reactions: danoftw
Back from their long tours island hopping with the Marine landing forces in the Pacific theater and slugging it out against the Wehrmacht in the Low Countries

I enjoyed the joke but four 5th-year guys isn’t really a big deal and you guys almost had Rasheed and Cassar back for 6th or 7th years, lol

I mean, how much is an NCAA championship worth when you’re talking about post-grad stipends, applying for coaching positions, starting your own club, etc? It sure can’t hurt, right? Plus, these guys have probably grown up wrestling as far back as they can remember and probably think they’ll be involved in the sport for the rest of their lives.

I think if I got a chance to put off adulthood and chase an NCAA championship, I’d probably go for it. Hell, I almost re-enlisted after a six-year contract to put off adulthood! My buddies still call me Archibald Henderson, haha!

That is true of course.

But how many guys does PSU have in that position in this unique season? One - Nick Lee. Coaches can figure out one.

Iowa has 5. Lee coming back makes sense...he's got a chance to add Iowa to the list of schools that have a 4 time champion as well as Olympic aspirations. I'm not saying Brands can't or won't for Iowa. But of the 4 remaining what is driving them to return?

How will Brands figure out paying for all 5? "Hey, you other guys...you (& your family) are all taking one for the team ($$$) so we can return grandpa and your great uncles so Iowa can win its 24th title. Then we'll only be 10 behind Oklahoma State."
Isn't there a 9.9 exception for this? As long as the athletic department is willing to shell out, they'll be back. Small price to pay for back to back titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT