ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa blogger says Barkley isn't very good

"I came away LESS impressed with the future first-round pick than I was going in.

And yet, Barkley didn’t show me anything I didn’t already know he could do. What he did show me was a guy who was visibly worn out early and often. The offense leaned on him and he nearly fell over, asking to be taken out in the middle of a series a number of times (and I’m not talking about following big runs). I suppose that’s something that will work itself out when he is focused solely on football.

But the other thing that really stood out to me was how few hits he took. I guess you can say that’s a talent, but I’m not thinking about avoiding the big shots like some wily veteran. I’m talking about noticeably shying away from contact, jumping out of bounds instead of taking on a would-be tackler, falling to the ground in open space instead of fighting for extra yardage. Barkley is an incredibly gifted athlete and is put together as well as any back I’ve seen up close, but the way he finished his runs Saturday was completely shocking to me. If Akrum Wadley can lower a shoulder and tack on an extra yard or two as he races down the sideline, I don’t understand why Saquon Barkley is anxiously hopping out of bounds before anyone gets within a yard of him. That’s not at all what I expected and it’s the only thing from his game that stands out to me as a negative."
Your a good poster here but don't get carried away on blogs or other social media.
As for me I go nowhere near that stuff

"I came away LESS impressed with the future first-round pick than I was going in.

And yet, Barkley didn’t show me anything I didn’t already know he could do. What he did show me was a guy who was visibly worn out early and often. The offense leaned on him and he nearly fell over, asking to be taken out in the middle of a series a number of times (and I’m not talking about following big runs). I suppose that’s something that will work itself out when he is focused solely on football.

But the other thing that really stood out to me was how few hits he took. I guess you can say that’s a talent, but I’m not thinking about avoiding the big shots like some wily veteran. I’m talking about noticeably shying away from contact, jumping out of bounds instead of taking on a would-be tackler, falling to the ground in open space instead of fighting for extra yardage. Barkley is an incredibly gifted athlete and is put together as well as any back I’ve seen up close, but the way he finished his runs Saturday was completely shocking to me. If Akrum Wadley can lower a shoulder and tack on an extra yard or two as he races down the sideline, I don’t understand why Saquon Barkley is anxiously hopping out of bounds before anyone gets within a yard of him. That’s not at all what I expected and it’s the only thing from his game that stands out to me as a negative."

The football world is littered with people who "lowered their shoulder and fought for those extra yards". You can easily spot them today, they are the ones who sit there with the blank stare and excessively drool when trying to eat. Football is a contact sport but there are too any people playing this game who don't know the difference between being aggressive and just plain being violent to be violent.

Classic troll alert. Hey everyone watch this, I am going to write an article on Barkley being mediocre and watch how it gets the entire PSU fan base riled up to read my blog. My hits will be through the roof. Hmmmm NFL players tweeting that Barkley is the real deal and NFL ready. NFL execs are saying he is already better than Zeke. Yet this chowderhead knows more than everybody else, ummm no. He wants clicks. Just look at what was written above. Talks about how he was visibly worn out, avoids hits numerous other negative points but in the last sentence says it's the ONLY thing from his game that stands out as a negative. Well you listed multiple negative things knucklehead do you read your own writing. Yeesh everyone today is an expert or a howard eskin wannabe and rile up the masses for clicks.

Sour grapes. The "only" person that doesn't think Barkley is great.
Definitely a curious take. Almost every conversation/comment in national media has been Saquon is the best college running back since... Bush, Sanders... or Saquon is clearly best player in the nation, rare combination of speed, power and elusiveness.

The football world is littered with people who "lowered their shoulder and fought for those extra yards". You can easily spot them today, they are the ones who sit there with the blank stare and excessively drool when trying to eat. Football is a contact sport but there are too any people playing this game who don't know the difference between being aggressive and just plain being violent to be violent.

There were also some instances where getting out of bounds was more important than getting one more yard.

Exactly...why lower your shoulder and risk getting hurt to pick up an extra yard when you already have the first down? I can't recall a time when Barkley didn't do everything he can to pick up a first or get into the end zone. But if you already have the first, who cares? Dumb asses try to plow over defensive players all the time....and they usually end up hurt dumb asses.

Reactions: harbest
images

Two thoughts:

giphy.gif

And:

pile_of_shit.gif

Reactions: Zenophile

Too dumb to worthy a comment!

What a donkey. Wasn't that impressed with Barkley and thinks Moorehead isn't a good OC. Guy shouldn't even be allowed to write. Get like I was reading something from President Stache over on pitts board

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Anyone think NFL Scouts agree? TIC

Read the comments people. He emphatically states that SB is the best back in the country, but the authors expectations were very very high going in. Quit being so thin skinned

This whole "McSorley isn't very good" thing is astonishing. Quick, name 5 quarterbacks who could have driven their team 80 yards with 1:42 left in the game at Kinnick stadium on a night when your offense has not finished all night long? Short list: Darnold, Mayfield, MAYBE Rosen, Hurts, maybe 1 or 2 others.

The guy who quarterbacks that team in Rhode Island and the guy who quarterbacks that team where people wear foam cheese triangles on their head.

Read the comments people. He emphatically states that SB is the best back in the country, but the authors expectations were very very high going in. Quit being so thin skinned

What he wrote versus commented are completely different. As I said earlier this article was abysmal. Poorly written and I am not sure he even read his own piece. This was purely a troll article trying to get his name out there and people reading his blogs regularly

Reactions: BBrown

That has to be satire. Nobody is that dumb.

I can't work up any indignation over this. Reading the thread title just makes me guffaw. "Barkley isn't very good." OK. ROFL.

Becoming a blogger as an obtuse, socially awkward dude is about as hard as a hot girl becoming an instagram model

Exactly. Or as hard as a hot girl having 14,000 "friends" on facebook to tell her how beautiful her crazy, neurotic ass is after one of her 3,452 selfies that she posts.

So the guy is unimpressed because a guy who got 40 touches in an 80 degree game needed a break? And that he doesn't get hit as much as you'd expect?

Iowa fan here. If you were to look around the Iowa media you would find this guy to be in the minority. I heard nothing but praise for Barkley and after watching the game its hard to argue against it. I even told a friend after he hurdled Iowa's CB "Heisman move in a big game".

Reactions: Aloha T
Iowa fan here. If you were to look around the Iowa media you would find this guy to be in the minority. I heard nothing but praise for Barkley and after watching the game its hard to argue against it. I even told a friend after he hurdled Iowa's CB "Heisman move in a big game".

Thanks. Both fan bases over react to one fans inflammatory post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT