ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa blogger says Barkley isn't very good

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001

"I came away LESS impressed with the future first-round pick than I was going in.

And yet, Barkley didn’t show me anything I didn’t already know he could do. What he did show me was a guy who was visibly worn out early and often. The offense leaned on him and he nearly fell over, asking to be taken out in the middle of a series a number of times (and I’m not talking about following big runs). I suppose that’s something that will work itself out when he is focused solely on football.

But the other thing that really stood out to me was how few hits he took. I guess you can say that’s a talent, but I’m not thinking about avoiding the big shots like some wily veteran. I’m talking about noticeably shying away from contact, jumping out of bounds instead of taking on a would-be tackler, falling to the ground in open space instead of fighting for extra yardage. Barkley is an incredibly gifted athlete and is put together as well as any back I’ve seen up close, but the way he finished his runs Saturday was completely shocking to me. If Akrum Wadley can lower a shoulder and tack on an extra yard or two as he races down the sideline, I don’t understand why Saquon Barkley is anxiously hopping out of bounds before anyone gets within a yard of him. That’s not at all what I expected and it’s the only thing from his game that stands out to me as a negative."

Reactions: denniskembala

"I came away LESS impressed with the future first-round pick than I was going in.

And yet, Barkley didn’t show me anything I didn’t already know he could do. What he did show me was a guy who was visibly worn out early and often. The offense leaned on him and he nearly fell over, asking to be taken out in the middle of a series a number of times (and I’m not talking about following big runs). I suppose that’s something that will work itself out when he is focused solely on football.

But the other thing that really stood out to me was how few hits he took. I guess you can say that’s a talent, but I’m not thinking about avoiding the big shots like some wily veteran. I’m talking about noticeably shying away from contact, jumping out of bounds instead of taking on a would-be tackler, falling to the ground in open space instead of fighting for extra yardage. Barkley is an incredibly gifted athlete and is put together as well as any back I’ve seen up close, but the way he finished his runs Saturday was completely shocking to me. If Akrum Wadley can lower a shoulder and tack on an extra yard or two as he races down the sideline, I don’t understand why Saquon Barkley is anxiously hopping out of bounds before anyone gets within a yard of him. That’s not at all what I expected and it’s the only thing from his game that stands out to me as a negative."
At least now we know who the dumbest person on the planet is.

Did Sara Ganim write this? It's Pulitzer worthy

Actually, we don't! Unless this person (JP in IC) doesn't have anyone as a "significant other", then we haven't seen the dumbest person on the planet ---- whoever is that "significant other" would be 'said' dumbest person (or hog) on the planet.

How do you spell Loser...... too dumb to be funny..... yet ridiculous enough to be hilarious.

LOL that is what you call a "Sore Loser" Judge... hahahaha

Reactions: BBrown
he'll clearly fail in the nfl just like franco harris. (tic).

Reminds me of a story I heard Jimmy V tell. He went to get his hair cut and the guy cutting his hair was exclaiming how tough it must be to coach against UNC's Dean Smith. Finally, Jimmy had enough and said "you know NC State went 31-1 in 1974 and won the national championship, right?' The guy said yeah, but can you imagine what Dean Smith would have done with that team?"

Take the link down. Don't give him clicks which is why that article was written.

I read his stuff this morning but didn't think it was worthy of posting.

There's always gonna be a 1% out there on ANY / EVERY issue under the sun. Sometimes you just gotta shake your head and laugh.

Deleted with an apology, Judge. I didn't click the tweet and was wondering what the heck got into you With that bizarre take on 26. Realized after that you were quoting that moron. That was nut-tay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Judge, that's the best laugh I had today, this guy is nuckin' futz. I'm glad I just read the capsule, glad I didn't click the link to this idiot. He's definitely trying to get a rise out of the PSU faithful.

Reactions: denniskembala
I apologize I did read a decent chunk of it (although war and peace is a quicker read). His overall point was Barkley avoids more contact than he thought he would. It certainly seems like a stretch to just take a shot at him. He actually believes Barkley is a really good player a heisman candidate and top ten pick. He struggled to defend his take in the comments.

To be fair to his readers most of those commenting are taking him to task. Alot of them calling SB a lock for the heisman. Best rb in big ten in 10-20 yrs. Some even comparing him to Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson.

Reactions: Judge Smails
There are 320 million people in this country, and about the same number of internet access points.

He goes on to say that Franklin will be on the hot seat within two years because Barkley will be one NFL.

Haha, and an Iowa fan likes this.

Hey Pal, when your recruiting class is ranked #3 (not #63 like Iowa) you replace talent with talent.

Franklin isn't going anywhere and Penn State is back at its rightful place at the top of college football.

This guy even makes Pitt fans blush at his stupidity.

Reading some of the comments there, you can see the new talking point that I've now read from OSU, Michigan, and other fans around the internet. "Barkley is their entire offense. Stop him and they have nothing else" along with "McSorley isn't very good".

1) Unlike most of the teams we face, Iowa played with their safeties deep. You do that, you see what kind of day Barkley can have. Again, we rang up 580 yards of offense. The issues were our field goal unit and not converting in the Red Zone.

2) McSorley led the Big Ten in passing yards and touchdowns as a first year sophomore starter. Most of those yards weren't to Barkley. His passer rating is higher right now than it was at the end of last year.

This is a deep team, especially at the skill positions on offense. When Barkley leaves, 5 star Miles Sanders gets his shot. Ricky Slade is the top ranked all purpose back in the country in the 2018 class. A lot of wishful thinking out there about Penn State.

This whole "McSorley isn't very good" thing is astonishing. Quick, name 5 quarterbacks who could have driven their team 80 yards with 1:42 left in the game at Kinnick stadium on a night when your offense has not finished all night long? Short list: Darnold, Mayfield, MAYBE Rosen, Hurts, maybe 1 or 2 others.

LOL, wow sure are a lot of butt hurt Iowa fans. They are quickly, if they haven't already, entering the douche baggery fan stage of pitt and rutgres.
Get over it you lost and your team played great, move on because good things are ahead for them.
And what exactly did Franklin do to any of their wives and girlfriends? They've taken cheap shots at him for everything. The man could cure all those sick kids in the hospital and they still would find something about him to bitch about.
Really? going for a FG in the first quarter is now a "sign" of arrogance? (that was one of the comments).
Can't wait till we clean their clocks in wrestling again.

ADVERTISEMENT