ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Nebraska

All this talk about spectrum this and spectrum that, I think does a disservice to the folks who clearly have "spectrum" related issues. If every guy that is a little hot headed, can throw down the gloves easier than you may, and doesn't take sh!t from people is on the spectrum....well we better get more Drs because millions of people are missing a diagnosis.

Online Drs like we have on the interwebs are just so silly by handing out labels to justify actions that are just wrong. You don't need to be on the "spectrum" to know that what ADs has in his carry on baggage is/was wrong. It also shouldn't help or excuse his actions past or future should he really be on the "spectrum".

Watch his video a couple matches ago where he clearly states he knows what he did is wrong and needs to get control of his emotions. Jeez not the first athlete to acknowledge that. Participation in a combat sport almost by definition means you run a little hotter than the average human, doesnt it?????

How about that is the diagnosis internet Drs....He just needs to control his emotions better.......no more no less...and we all move on.

This kid will have a career after wrestling and all this BS does him no favors. The sooner he and TnT get control of the situation the more distance he can put between that stuff and a meeting with a future employer where he has to explain it all.
People on the spectrum do not simply will themselves into having better emotional control any more than one could will oneself into not having a broken leg.

It is an explanation, not a justification. It also has corollary implications, including that placing responsibility for managing the person in the hands of two coaches who all-too-frequently come across as cymbal-banging monkey toys is probably not a long term solution.

Desyco is going to do what he does. Iowa fans see no problem and it is entertaining to the rest of us. The Brands brothers don't behave much better and also add entertainment value. Sit back and enjoy watching the little circus monkeys jump around and entertain the masses. I don't see any of this as a big deal. The next time Desyco tries to purposely injure an opponent he should be removed from the team, but if it is just taunting let the officials take team points and enjoy the show. I personally love watching his matches because I can't wait to see what he will do next!
The Nebraska group (Manning and Berger) always act like ass hats so this is also not that interesting of a topic. I think I like the Brands and Desyco way more than I like the cornhusker version. The Hawkeye version is more original and entertaining while the Nebraska version feels like a cheap imitation.

Sorry JP, I can't subscribe to that. Setting aside the Brands, it's almost as though you might as well be saying you are entertained by the manifestations of disability. I know you've probably not thought of it that way, and I know you're better than that.

People on the spectrum do not simply will themselves into having better emotional control any more than one could will oneself into not having a broken leg.

It is an explanation, not a justification. It also has corollary implications, including that placing responsibility for managing the person in the hands of two coaches who all-too-frequently come across as cymbal-banging monkey toys is probably not a long term solution.
DeSanto also didn't just wake up Saturday and start misbehaving. His conduct has been allowed to continue for years, and he rebelled against Azevado.

And whether or not he is autistic is 100% message board rumor mongering. Neither he nor his family nor any adults associated with him have ever confirmed this publicly.

Therefore it is excuse making by the boards.

BWI has said enough on this subject. At this point more dialogue isn't changing anything or anyone's opinion. Let's lock this one up...

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
IF the kid drew the following picture, then he is artistic for sure.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-31-at-10-47-00.jpg

DeSanto also didn't just wake up Saturday and start misbehaving. His conduct has been allowed to continue for years, and he rebelled against Azevado.

And whether or not he is autistic is 100% message board rumor mongering. Neither he nor his family nor any adults associated with him have ever confirmed this publicly.

Therefore it is excuse making by the boards.
This 100%. For those of us in PA, AD has had some issues for a long time. I will say that in HS, they came across as more "quirky" and less aggressive than what has appeared lately. But it is a different situation, his coaches had him for 4 years, and IMO were able to handle the situation pretty well as his career progressed. But it's easier to handle a situation with kid gloves there.

I don't think Acevedo and Co. had much tolerance for the situation - nor am I saying they should have - and it became a burden too large by the end.

In terms of behavior, maybe Iowa wasn't the best spot. I don't lump Tom in quite as much as some do - I think he's prone to being fiery and emotional, but does a pretty good job of keeping the decorum expected when representing a university. I think he's very good for the sport. But there is also a tolerance exhibited for stuff that just shouldn't go on - particular with Terry. There are a couple of incidents that some wrestling fans brush off because we are a combat sport, but should not be tolerated or accepted. And this is an example for the athletes. It's not really rocket science why stuff like this happens more often there.

I know there are many who don't care about that stuff and their opinion is as valid as mine. Bottom line it's up to Tom to curtail what absolutely is a pattern now - despite what the apologists say, you can't get away from the fact that it occurs regularly at the end of matches, you shouldn't have to congratulate someone or notice when a match ends without some kind of emotional outburst - and he either will or he won't like in the case of his brother.

Wow so even BRANDS is in the anti-DeSanto deep state. It reaches everybody!
Yeah, and I was a liar yesterday. Lmao. I'm glad Tom did this. Pulling for this kid but he cannot continue to lose control after a match. After last year and this years problems, it needs to stop. Good on Tom. Wishing the best for AD.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Prominent behaviors, those repeated actions that make each of us who we are, are very, very difficult to change in the short term. That goes for everyone, not just AD.

The long and short of it is that, while we can applaud the discipline (I do too). and AD's words (I do too), real change isn't that easy. Wish him well, odds are this isn't over...again in the short-term.

Continued, constructive support from coaches, team mates, family, etc. may be needed, it will take time.

Reactions: Lyons212
Good on Brands, but let us not pretend this suspension would have happened had tOSU,PSU,ISU,OSU, or Michigan been the next opponent. Maryland? LOL
I'm willing to cut TnT some slack on the timing and opponent here. But I think that a real test will come when they wrestle the pokes. Let's assume it's a close match, emotions running high, on the road, etc. Or if you really wanted to make it worse, assume an unconventional starting weight such that 133 "matters". A meltdown is not at all unforseeable there.

And if it happens, and BiGs are next on the schedule, well...that would be quite an acid test.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Good on Brands, but let us not pretend this suspension would have happened had tOSU,PSU,ISU,OSU, or Michigan been the next opponent. Maryland? LOL
Pretend PSU, tOSU or Michigan had been the Duckeyes' opponent? Geez James, you are asking for some serious imaginary skills.
As far as the opponent being Oklahoma State, and understanding Fix will be the favorite at 133 it takes almost no imagination to foresee no DeSanto wrestling Fix.

I highly, highly doubt it was TB’s idea to handle this with a public announcement. It almost certainly came from feedback that the AD was getting. Even if he recognized the need for the suspension, I can’t imagine him not wanting to handle it behind closed doors if he had his preference. I’m not criticizing TB here. Just drawing a reasonable inference from the events.

I will also infer that a repeat of one of these displays will keep ADS from competition for the rest of the season, if not permanently at Iowa (my bet is on the latter). This is the AD or higher setting up a position that puts a lot of pressure on ADS and TB to stop it here and now.

With that said I will reiterate that kid is fun to watch wrestle 98% of his time on the mat.

I highly, highly doubt it was TB’s idea to handle this with a public announcement. It almost certainly came from feedback that the AD was getting. Even if he recognized the need for the suspension, I can’t imagine him not wanting to handle it behind closed doors if he had his preference. I’m not criticizing TB here. Just drawing a reasonable inference from the events.

I will also infer that a repeat of one of these displays will keep ADS from competition for the rest of the season, if not permanently at Iowa (my bet is on the latter). This is the AD or higher setting up a position that puts a lot of pressure on ADS and TB to stop it here and now.

With that said I will reiterate that kid is fun to watch wrestle 98% of his time on the mat.

Interesting point..never thought about the fact it may have come from above

Reactions: danoftw

You may be right. Or perhaps Brands would see that sitting him in a meet that could cost the team a win would be more impactful. Either way something is being done publicly to address it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT