ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Pre-Seeds

Eastern HWT

Jan 3, 2015
Big Ten Wrestling Pre-Seeds Announced
Penn State paces conference with four top-seeded wrestlers

ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Big Ten Conference announced the preliminary seeds for the 2019 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, which are set for March 9-10 at Minnesota. Seven schools boast at least one top-seeded wrestler, with Penn State leading the way with four No. 1 seeds.

Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State will bring a seeded wrestler in each of the 10 weight classes, while Nebraska and Northwestern boast a seeded grappler in nine classes.

The pre-seeds, as voted on by the conference’s coaches, rank the top eight wrestlers in three weight classes, along with all 14 starters in seven weight classes due to the Big Ten receiving nine or more NCAA Championships qualifier allocations in those classes.

Penn State boasts four top-seeded wrestlers, with 157-pounder Jason Nolf, 165-pounder Vincenzo Joseph, 174-pounder Mark Hall and 197-pounder Bo Nickal. The Fighting Illini's Michael Carr (141), the Wolverines’ Stevan Micic (133), the Gophers’ Gable Steveson (285), the Wildcats’ Sebastian Rivera (125), the Buckeyes’ Myles Martin (184) and the Scarlet Knights' Anthony Ashnault (149) round out the group of top-ranked grapplers.

This year’s field contains a combined 10 Big Ten individual championships (eight wrestlers) and eight NCAA individual championships (five wrestlers).

For more information on the 2019 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, visit the Big Ten Championships Central page HERE. The complete list of Big Ten Championships pre-seeds can be found below.

125 lbs.
  1. Sebastian Rivera, NU
  2. Spencer Lee, IOWA
  3. Sean Russell, MINN
  4. RayVon Foley, MSU
  5. Travis Piotrowski, ILL
  6. Drew Mattin, MICH
  7. Zeke Moisey, NEB
  8. Malik Heinselman, OSU
  9. Devin Schroder, PUR
  10. Elijah Oliver, IND
  11. Brandon Cray, MD
  12. Devin Schnupp, PSU
  13. Shane Metzler, RU
  14. Ethan Rotondo, WIS

133 lbs.

1. Stevan Micic, MICH
  2. Austin DeSanto, IOWA
  3. Nick Suriano, RU
  4. Roman Bravo-Young, PSU
  5. Luke Pletcher, OSU
  6. Ethan Lizak, MINN
  7. Ben Thornton, PUR
  8. Dylan Duncan, ILL
  9. Anthony Tutolo, MSU
  10. Colin Valdiviez, NU
  11. Jens Lantz, WIS
  12. Paul Konrath, IND
  13. Jevon Parrish, NEB
  14. Orion Anderson, MD

141 lbs.

1. Michael Carr, ILL
  2. Nick Lee, PSU
  3. Joey McKenna, OSU
  4. Tristan Moran, WIS
  5. Kanen Storr, MICH
  6. Mitch McKee, MINN
  7. Max Murin, IOWA
  8. Chad Red, NEB
  9. Pete Lipari, RU
  10. Nate Limmex, PUR
  11. Kyle Luigs, IND
  12. Austin Eicher, MSU
  13. Danny Bertoni, MD
  14. Alec McKenna, NU

149 lbs.
  1. Anthony Ashnault, RU
  2. Micah Jordan, OSU
  3. Pat Lugo, IOWA
  4. Thomas Thorn, MINN
  5. Cole Martin, WIS
  6. Brady Berge, PSU
  7. Shayne Oster, NU
  8. Malik Amine, MICH

157 lbs.
  1. Jason Nolf, PSU
  2. Tyler Berger, NEB
  3. Ryan Deakin, NU
  4. Alec Pantaleo, MICH
  5. Kaleb Young, IOWA
  6. Steve Bleise, MINN
  7. Ke-Shawn Hayes, OSU
  8. Eric Barone, ILL
  9. Griffin Parriott, PUR
  10. John Van Brill, RU
  11. Jake Danishek, IND
  12. Jake Tucker, MSU
  13. Garrett Model, WIS
  14. Adam Whitesell, MD

165 lbs.
  1. Vincenzo Joseph, PSU
  2. Alex Marinelli, IOWA
  3. Evan Wick, WIS
  4. Isaiah White, NEB
  5. Logan Massa, MICH
  6. Te’Shawn Campbell, OSU
  7. Bryce Martin, IND
  8. Carson Brolsma, MINN
  9. Joseph Gunther, ILL
  10. Tyler Morland, NU
  11. Phillip Spadafora, MD
  12. Stephan Glasgow, RU
  13. Austin Hiles, MSU
  14. Cole Wysocki, PUR

174 lbs.
  1. Mark Hall, PSU
  2. Myles Amine, MICH
  3. Dylan Lydy, PUR
  4. Mikey Labriola, NEB
  5. Devin Skatzka, MINN
  6. Ethan Smith, OSU
  7. Ryan Christensen, WIS
  8. Drew Hughes, MSU
  9. Joe Grello, RU
  10. Mitch Bowman, IOWA
  11. Carver James, ILL
  12. Jake Covaciu, IND
  13. Josh Ugalde, MD
  14. Braxton Cody, NU

184 lbs.
  1. Myles Martin, OSU
  2. Shakur Rasheed, PSU
  3. Tyler Venz, NEB
  4. Emery Parker, ILL
  5. Cash Wilcke, IOWA
  6. Mason Reinhardt, WIS
  7. Jelani Embree, MICH
  8. Max Lyon, PUR
  9. Nick Gravina, RU
  10. Cameron Caffey, MSU
  11. Norman Conley, IND
  12. Brandon Krone, MINN
  13. Kyle Jasenski, MD
  14. Brendan Devine, NU

197 lbs.
  1. Bo Nickal, PSU
  2. Kollin Moore, OSU
  3. Jacob Warner, IOWA
  4. Christian Brunner, PUR
  5. Eric Schultz, NEB
  6. Jackson Striggow, MICH
  7. Dylan Anderson, MINN
  8. Brad Wilton, MSU

285 lbs.
  1. Gable Steveson, MINN
  2. Anthony Cassar, PSU
  3. Mason Parris, MICH
  4. Trent Hillger, WIS
  5. Chase Singletary, OSU
  6. Conan Jennings, NU
  7. David Jensen, NEB
  8. Sam Stoll, IOWA

And there you are: Consistent at the top. Carr gets top billing without wrestling the others. So does Cenzo. So does Shakur.

I’ll take Berge’s draw.

Bummer start for Schnupp, but he had to start somewhere. Maybe a returned favor on the first round.

Reactions: kingslayer_85
Most seeds for PSU look good. However, no matches at 141, 157, 165, 174,184 plus draws at 149, 197, 285. We could have only 3-4 matches in opening round! This would hurt bonus points!!

I always say we have an easier time winning the Big tourneys NCAA than winning B1Gs

Did they always rank 14 when they only advance eight to nationals? For example 133, 174, 184 all have 8 allocations exactly. I thought they only did that when they had nine or more like they stated in the article right above Interesting that so many weights have it seeded all the way and then Hemida is going to be randomly drawn in at HWT (although I know that is self-inflicted based on coaches just not planning ahead with bouts (Maryland and Nebraska).

Reactions: ccdiver
Did they always rank 14 when they only advance eight to nationals? For example 133, 174, 184 all have 8 allocations exactly. I thought they only did that when they had nine or more like they stated in the article right above Interesting that so many weights have it seeded all the way and then Hemida is going to be randomly drawn in at HWT (although I know that is self-inflicted based on coaches just not planning ahead with bouts (Maryland and Nebraska).
I asked the same question in the other thread but no one has an answer yet.

If the weight class has at least 8 auto-qualifiers, I think they seed all the way, due to needing to determine 1 beyond the number of auto-qualifiers for the at-large selections.

If I'm reading this right,

OSU is assured of 6 opening round matches;... they will favored in all of them.

UM is assured of 5 opening round matches ... they are favored in all 5.

Iowa is assured of 4 opening round matches ... they are favored in 3.

PSU is assured of 2 opening round matches ... we are favored in 1.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If the weight class has at least 8 auto-qualifiers, I think they seed all the way, due to needing to determine 1 beyond the number of auto-qualifiers for the at-large selections.
Only explanation, I thought they should have done this other years.

To get to 9th place, the four guys that lost in the second round of wrestlebacks were placed, by seed, in a mini four-man tournament. Guys that lost in the first round of wrestlebacks (two matches) were eliminated. The cleanest way to place the four is if everyone knows their seed (transparency). Highest seed meets lowest seed, middle two seeds meet, then the winner between the two takes 9th. No team scoring during this process.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Love our quarters matchups. Couldn’t have gone better as far as I’m concerned with the exception of Lee/McKenna same side

I feel pretty good we get 9 in the semis and 7 finalists if these seeds hold up

my favorite paragraph: Cassar is phenomenal on his feet, possibly even better than Gable Steveson, at least statistically. He has 102 takedowns this season, and based on this breakdown from the inimitable LemonPie is scoring a takedown once every 45 second of time spent in neutral. Aside from the White match and three bouts where he took his guy down and pinned them right away, he has three or more takedowns in every match this season.

LemonPie is famous....

my favorite paragraph: Cassar is phenomenal on his feet, possibly even better than Gable Steveson, at least statistically. He has 102 takedowns this season, and based on this breakdown from the inimitable LemonPie is scoring a takedown once every 45 second of time spent in neutral. Aside from the White match and three bouts where he took his guy down and pinned them right away, he has three or more takedowns in every match this season.

LemonPie is famous....

You're damn right I'm famous. I'm riding w/ 108 twitter followers, baby! And a Sandy Nickal tweet.

And to think I was gonna pay my graphic designer friend to make a counterfeit media pass for Pittsburgh. Now Cael's gonna send a car for me.

You're damn right I'm famous. I'm riding w/ 108 twitter followers, baby! And a Sandy Nickal tweet.

And to think I was gonna pay my graphic designer friend to make a counterfeit media pass for Pittsburgh. Now Cael's gonna send a car for me.
Maybe Cassar will be driving it for you?

Will that car be heading towards the venue....or away from it? Asking for Cassar's Mother......she thinks you are a stalker. :)

Reactions: Ja1339
Interesting potential matches

125 - Maybe Schnupp can make some magic happen in the wrestlebacks.
133 - RBY-Pletcher rematch
141 - Lee-McKenna rematch (This one annoys me. I really want to see Lee make Carr cry in the finals. Carr should be the 3 seed.)
149 - Berge-Lugo (I'll be offering up a WFL wager on HR for that one)
157 - I'll be cheering for Young over Panteleo just to get a new matchup for Nolf
165 - I really wouldn't have minded Joseph getting the 2 seed and matching up with Wick and then Marinelli just to shut people up.
174 - Stall out rematch for Hall.
184 - I'm surprised Rasheed got the 2 seed. Bummer he will probably get Embree again in quarters. Roar had a good analysis on this. Being on Martin's side of the bracket probably would've been better.
197 - Hopefully Warner can upset Moore.
Heavy - This has a Cassar-Steveson final written all over it. Steveson-Stoll in the quarters? Ouch.

I think your confused. It is Carl and he is sending a padded wagon.

And I'd be fine with that.
I would have as well. I think it’s Cenzo that caused the problem. Giving him anything but the 1 is really not credible as an undefeated two time defending National Champion....no matter how good Bull’s record is or that Cenzo didn’t wrestle him or Wick. If you end up with him at 1, you basically have to put Carr and Rasheed where they now reside.

Hopefully, in the future there is some way to resolve all the missed matches,whatever the reason for the misses. It’s a tough sport....but we used to wrestle like 50-60 matches in a year. Now we wrestle about 35 and it feels like there are more missed matches than ever.

141 - Lee-McKenna rematch (This one annoys me. I really want to see Lee make Carr cry in the finals. Carr should be the 3 seed.)
157 - I'll be cheering for Young over Panteleo just to get a new matchup for Nolf
165 - I really wouldn't have minded Joseph getting the 2 seed and matching up with Wick and then Marinelli just to shut people up.
184 - I'm surprised Rasheed got the 2 seed. Bummer he will probably get Embree again in quarters. Roar had a good analysis on this. Being on Martin's side of the bracket probably would've been better.
Heavy - This has a Cassar-Steveson final written all over it. Steveson-Stoll in the quarters? Ouch.

what are the chances the 141 seeding is changed after the coaches meeting Friday?--I would hope that Joey and Nick end up on opposite sides

I think the process is that coaches have to 'challenge' or otherwise question the preseed of their wrestler, debate it, and force a revote. Not really sure. But I wonder how much Cael would be interested in challenging any seeding. Not totally sure it is consistent with his mentality.

I think the process is that coaches have to 'challenge' or otherwise question the preseed of their wrestler, debate it, and force a revote. Not really sure. But I wonder how much Cael would be interested in challenging any seeding. Not totally sure it is consistent with his mentality.
However they earn points, for a challenge to be made wrestler B has to be the next seeded guy, wrestler A, and be within 3 points of him.
I have no idea how points are allocated. I assume so many for 1st seed vote, less for a 2nd seed vote and so on.

Reactions: aalion
what are the chances the 141 seeding is changed after the coaches meeting Friday?--I would hope that Joey and Nick end up on opposite sides
Doubt it. I am sure there have been changes, but off the top of my head I do not recall any and I believe they are rare.

Reactions: ccdiver
Your BIG champs

125 Sean Russell, MINN ( Schnupp DNP)

133 Stevan Micic, MICH ( RBY 3rd - beats AD in Consi Finals

141 Nick Lee, PSU

149 Thomas Thorn, MINN ( Berge 2nd)

157 Jason Nolf, PSU

165 Vincenzo Joseph, PSU

174 Mark Hall, PSU

184 Myles Martin, OSU (Shak 2nd)

197 Bo Nickal, PSU

285 Gable Steveson, MINN ( Casar 2nd)

Your BIG champs

141 Nick Lee, PSU

157 Jason Nolf, PSU

165 Vincenzo Joseph, PSU

174 Mark Hall, PSU

197 Bo Nickal, PSU

Sean Russell posts on BWI?!?!

Your BIG champs

141 Nick Lee, PSU

157 Jason Nolf, PSU

165 Vincenzo Joseph, PSU

174 Mark Hall, PSU

197 Bo Nickal, PSU

Going bold at 125 & 149.

These draws are NOT the best situation for us to win the tourney, but our guys will do what they do, and I bet they still pull it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: matwizard09
Doubt it. I am sure there have been changes, but off the top of my head I do not recall any and I believe they are rare.
Changes don't happen very often, but last year Bowman lost his #8 pre-seed to Krone when the bracket was released, so it's possible. HR is going to continue their weeping and gnashing of teeth Friday when they don't get the changes they want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT