ADVERTISEMENT

Infectious disease Doc on Rogan today

I disagree... the seemingly over the top precautions are about flattening the curve and protecting the portion of the population that is highly susceptible. In Italy they have to determine if a patient is "savable" before admitting to ICU... meaning eff the elderly, etc... If we can collectively let this thing run its course in a less impactful manner then we will be laying to rest far fewer of our elders. My folks are in their early 80s and in assisted living. This thing comes anywhere near their facility and they are toast.

My wife had to have her temperature taken twice before she was allowed to visit her mother in a nursing home last evening. A reasonable and prudent precaution.

I have a hard time relating anything that goes on in Italy to the United States. Anyone that has been to Italy has seen that their population in general does not follow any rules, so a spreading of the Corona virus once there was inevitable. When I read that Italy is trying to quarantine one-fourth of their population I thought it must be a joke, as that has a farts chance in a wind storm of being successful there.....

Reactions: TheGLOV
My wife had to have her temperature taken twice before she was allowed to visit her mother in a nursing home last evening. A reasonable and prudent precaution.

I have a hard time relating anything that goes on in Italy to the United States. Anyone that has been to Italy has seen that their population in general does not follow any rules, so a spreading of the Corona virus once there was inevitable. When I read that Italy is trying to quarantine one-fourth of their population I thought it must be a joke, as that has a farts chance in a wind storm of being successful there.....
LOL...once, driving in Italy with an Italian companion, he told me "In Italy, we have no rules, just guidelines."

Italy has one of the oldest mean populations in the world. Plus a lot of old school mentalities towards life, too.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
It's a good tradition actually. Jews had a higher chance of survival in Italy during the Holocaust than anywhere else in Europe because the Italians were not so enthusiastic about following the Nazis' instructions. There was a basic humanity in Italy that wasn't present elsewhere in Europe.

France by contrast is much more of a rule-following culture (and anti-Semitism was a lot stronger among French Catholics than Italian Catholics). So the French didn't shelter their Jews -- they rounded them up and rooted them out and sent them to the Nazi concentration camps.

Another point worth making is that northern Italy and southern Italy are vastly different cultures, a little like the US. Northern Italy is efficient, high tech, immaculately clean, well-run -- almost like Germany. It's from Rome south that Italian civilization is kind of messy and disorganized (and some people love southern Italy for that very messiness).

From everything I've read and seen, the compliance with the lockdowns is very high in Northern Italy. They know the lives of their older generation are at stake. Italians love their Nonnas and Nonnos and they don't want to lose them. Americans aren't showing the same love for their elderly right now -- but I'm sure they will once significant numbers of people start dying.

LOL...once, driving in Italy with an Italian companion, he told me "In Italy, we have no rules, just guidelines."

Last edited:
Reactions: Secret Asian Man
It's a good tradition actually. Jews had a higher chance of survival in Italy during the Holocaust than anywhere else in Europe because the Italians were not so enthusiastic about following the Nazis' instructions.

France by contrast is much of a rule-following culture (and anti-Semitism was a lot stronger among French Catholics than Italian Catholics). So the French didn't shelter their Jews -- they rounded them up and rooted them out and sent them to the Nazi concentration camps.

Another point worth making is that northern Italy and southern Italy are vastly different cultures, a little like the US. Northern Italy is efficient, high tech, immaculately clean, well-run -- almost like Germany. It's from Rome south that Italian civilization is kind of messy and disorganized (and some people love southern Italy for that very messiness).

From everything I've read and seen, the compliance with the lockdowns is very high in Northern Italy. They know the lives of their older generation are at stake. Italians love their Nonnas and Nonnos and they don't want to lose them. Americans aren't showing the same love for their elderly right now -- but I'm sure they will once significant numbers of people start dying.
all good points. I would suspect our compliance on lockdown would be pretty low. I just had to talk an employee out of taking a cruise from April 5 to April 11.

The other thing that hasn't been discussed much, here, is the mortality rate by age.

_111104222_death_ratio_v2640-nc.png

So if you are a kid on spring break, you probably don't care too much as the drive to "get together" is very high at that age. Then you come home and have Easter Dinner with your 70's and 80's and 90's family AND KILL THEM.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

I think part of it is that we have an unbelievable absence of information in the US because we STILL have no testing and because bureaucrats like the Pa. Secretary of Health are refusing to share the information they have about cases, citing an obscure confidentiality law passed in 1955. So we know less about the disease in Pa than the citizens of other states know. That is pretty disappointing.

We don't know where the epidemic has gone and where it hasn't gone. In the absence of that information, it's really impossible to know what is necessary to safeguard the population. If you know you have Covid-19 loose in your county, drastic measures make sense. And if you know there are no cases anywhere near your county, then it might be okay to go out and not worry so much.

all good points. I would suspect our compliance on lockdown would be pretty low. I just had to talk an employee out of taking a cruise from April 5 to April 11.

The other thing that hasn't been discussed much, here, is the mortality rate by age.

_111104222_death_ratio_v2640-nc.png

So if you are a kid on spring break, you probably don't care too much as the drive to "get together" is very high at that age. Then you come home and have Easter Dinner with your 70's and 80's and 90's family AND KILL THEM.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

How may people in this thread have gotten the pneumonia vaccine? It's available at your local CVS or Walgreens.
That will help protect you from a secondary lung infection from opportunistic organisms that take advantage of a weakened respiratory system caused by more serious cases of COVID-19, but will not prevent a primary lung infection from SARS-CoV-2

Yes and it also doesn't do any good against bacterial infections which happen a lot to sick people in hospitals. It can't do any harm though. It will still protect you against the regular viral pneumonia so it's worth doing if you're at risk.

That will help protect you from a secondary lung infection from opportunistic organisms that take advantage of a weakened respiratory system caused by more serious cases of COVID-19, but will not prevent a primary lung infection from SARS-CoV-2

Reactions: gregoryj95
How may people in this thread have gotten the pneumonia vaccine? It's available at your local CVS or Walgreens.
I was advised by my doctor a while back and got two vaccinations a year apart.Its recommended for all of the old farts

I think part of it is that we have an unbelievable absence of information in the US because we STILL have no testing and because bureaucrats like the Pa. Secretary of Health are refusing to share the information they have about cases, citing an obscure confidentiality law passed in 1955. So we know less about the disease in Pa than the citizens of other states know. That is pretty disappointing.

We don't know where the epidemic has gone and where it hasn't gone. In the absence of that information, it's really impossible to know what is necessary to safeguard the population. If you know you have Covid-19 loose in your county, drastic measures make sense. And if you know there are no cases anywhere near your county, then it might be okay to go out and not worry so much.

They have been running COVID-19 tests in the US for weeks.

I saw that. First I've seen Dr Fauci do that. Not surprising with all the 'experts' saying 20 to 30 times. There is a LOT of misinformation out there because of the lack of complete data.

They have been running COVID-19 tests in the US for weeks.
The CDC admits they screwed up by putting into mass production tests that were ineffective. This wasn't fixed until two weeks ago. Even at that, many tests take days to complete whereas some of the new tests can be done in a few hours.

The silver lining for those outside the mortality danger zone is that there are probably thousands of infected people that simply have the sniffles (Tom Hanks comes to mind) and are not being tested. That means the mortality rate is way over estimated for those not in the danger zone (seniors or already compromised).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...low-state-locals-test-coronavirus/4906318002/

I saw that. First I've seen Dr Fauci do that. Not surprising with all the 'experts' saying 20 to 30 times. There is a LOT of misinformation out there because of the lack of complete data.
To be clear, he was saying the average mortality rate is .1% with this one, perhaps, being in the 1% range. Again, in the USA, we don't have a clue how many people have it so it could go lower. And, it is high for seniors and people with compromised systems. If you are healthy and below age 50, it is similar to the common flu in terms of mortality rates.

Even at that, it is 1% even if you get it.

Well that is because you have idiots that still just want to compare it to the flu and cite those numbers as to why the world should go on like nothing is happening.

Reactions: psunovaluvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT