ADVERTISEMENT

In result that foreshadows game this fall, PSU baseball stomps Pitt

I guess we should make a big deal about this. pitt athletic supporters still talk about 12-0 in football like the national championship for the 20th century.

Reactions: step.eng69
I know this was a home game for us, but I am curious. Does Pitt have their own baseball field or do they play at PNC Park or one of the local high schools?

I know this was a home game for us, but I am curious. Does Pitt have their own baseball field or do they play at PNC Park or one of the local high schools?

tball.jpg

:D

They built a new baseball field that would be the envy of most high school. For a new d1 facility it is pretty pathetic.

facilities-psc-15.jpg

Reactions: Ski
They built a new baseball field that would be the envy of most high school. For a new d1 facility it is pretty pathetic.

facilities-psc-15.jpg
Its big drawback seems to be the turf, which IMO has no place on a baseball diamond. The seating and other aspects, though, don't seem all that unusual for a northern team. Medlar is a wonderful facility, but its seating capacity is far, far too big for the vast majority of Penn State games.

Nice win for the baseball team, though - Pitt's been a decent program over the years (I recall them beating #1 Virginia last year and they have a few more top 25 wins this year) and it's always nice to collect a win over an ACC team.

Reactions: bytir
Its big drawback seems to be the turf, which IMO has no place on a baseball diamond. The seating and other aspects, though, don't seem all that unusual for a northern team. Medlar is a wonderful facility, but its seating capacity is far, far too big for the vast majority of Penn State games.

Nice win for the baseball team, though - Pitt's been a decent program over the years (I recall them beating #1 Virginia last year and they have a few more top 25 wins this year) and it's always nice to collect a win over an ACC team.
It tiny. It the smallest in the ACC or even the B1G at 900 seats. It made of prefabricated bleachers like you see at high school fields. The press box is small. The scoreboard is basic. There are no dedicated facilities and there is a small concession stand and restrooms shared with the other fields. There is a small complex that contains locker rooms and training facility for the three fields.

So in other words , Pitt took a fiscally responsible and conservative approach to upgrading their facilities for these sports. At the time the Olympic Sports Complex (now named Petersen Sports Complex) was being funded, designed, and constructed - Pitt was still in the Big East conference.

Btw - the same firm that designed Medlar field and the new PSU softball fields designed the Pitt complex.

Is the PSU BB stadium that of a minor league team? PITTsburgh has PNC Park and if BB ever took off like FB or Basketball the 2 mile trip would be taken.

Good luck in September.

Is the PSU BB stadium that of a minor league team? PITTsburgh has PNC Park and if BB ever took off like FB or Basketball the 2 mile trip would be taken.

Good luck in September.
Penn State owns the stadium. The minor league team leases it from Penn State.

So in other words , Pitt took a fiscally responsible and conservative approach to upgrading their facilities for these sports. At the time the Olympic Sports Complex (now named Petersen Sports Complex) was being funded, designed, and constructed - Pitt was still in the Big East conference.

Btw - the same firm that designed Medlar field and the new PSU softball fields designed the Pitt complex.
No basically it all they could afford. Pitt athletics has been losing between $7 and $13 million a year. Softball and Soccer were homeless for over a decade because they had an ad with no vision. Their track team still has no facility even after 17 years of trying to raise funds. The Petersen complex includes unfinished space simply because they couldn't afford finish them.

Fiscally responsible would be dropping sports and not costing the tax payers and students millions. Instead they went cheap and tried to keep up the facade. Pitt athletics is the equivalent to the family who buys the house in the suburbs that is half empty because they want to look like they fit in. Meanwhile they are in debt so far that they will never get out of it.

It tiny. It the smallest in the ACC or even the B1G at 900 seats. It made of prefabricated bleachers like you see at high school fields. The press box is small. The scoreboard is basic. There are no dedicated facilities and there is a small concession stand and restrooms shared with the other fields. There is a small complex that contains locker rooms and training facility for the three fields.
How far is center field? That outfield dimensions seem odd from the picture posted above. I think it would have been great if they could have angled the outfield towards downtown similar to a PNC Park backdrop.

How far is center field? That outfield dimensions seem odd from the picture posted above. I think it would have been great if they could have angled the outfield towards downtown similar to a PNC Park backdrop.
Per wiki, 405 in center, 300 down the lines, 375 in the gaps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT