ADVERTISEMENT

I'm 58 and admit I did not know what the "R" word was.

Actually, my guess is that you do know the "R" word. But in today's politically correct society we can't even utter the word, retard, even outside the context of labeling an individual.
Another word that has been ruined. Not every word has one definition. To me, retarded means backward. In that case it is not insulting but is an adjective that can describe a person who does not necessarily have Downs Syndrome, e.g. Trump supporters:eek:.

Maybe instead of lighting their hair on fire when someone uses the word retard, those Moral Outrage Mountain Climbers should actually get off their social media outrage sites, get off their asses, break a sweat, and do some work to try to increase the accessibility to appropriate opportunities for folks with developmental disabilities - - - but that would take actual intelligence and effort, so that Mountain ain’t in any danger of being overrun with the moral outrage assholes.

Just like the c^nt-for-brains idiots who piss themselves over a football team in Washington DC calling themselves the Redskins........ but wouldn’t exert one calorie of effort to improve conditions for Native American folks.

Screw ‘em.

Someone didn’t love you enough when you were little, did they?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8f2c7edd-9287-4650-a005-a6b56be6f4fc

OFFICIAL LIST OF WORDS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE USED:

1. n-word
2. r-word

Feel free to add to it.

By the way, anyone have an idea about what happens if there is disagreement about whether a word goes on the list?

The most logical interpretation would be that "r-word" is redskin.

Just like the n-word, its a derogatory term based on both skin color and ethnic background, and meant to slur a minority population in the US.

Yet one of these seems to perfectly fine, and is commonly used in todays society.

I appreciate that you sign your posts, and while I’m flattered, I’m not interested.

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-memegenerator-net-23624435.png

I'll take a wild leap here...

most of us who maybe still use the R word would NEVER in a million years use it to describe a kid who is slow... low IQ... whatever. That would be plain wrong, hurtful... frankly, stupid and in small measure (if not large), an insult best left to a$$holes.

It would, however, be freely applied to describe a nation full of moronic idiots who have the mental capacity to know better (theoretically) but keep on being idiots just the same. IOW, employed pretty much as we did when we were kids. I sure can't recall hurling the R word at a kid who had obvious issues.

Had I done so and Pa learned about it, I'd be walking funny for about a month. Maybe longer.

Ahhhhh..... the goold ole days! :)

So yeah, JJ can come and play for the Eagles, pick off a pass, maybe get us into the playoffs... and yeah, I'm cool with it. The 2-11 NYG's want to play snowflake and take some moral high ground, God bless. It's their foosball, they can do what they want.

Reactions: Hershey Lion
A CB for the NY Giants was released for using the "R" word in a tweet. Again, I'm 58 so maybe I'm a little behind the times but is there a more appropriate word that could have been used?
Let me say this. The word retard was once an accepted term...even used in the Journal of American Medical Association. So was the term mental retardation...in fact many still use that term.

The bottom line is this...if used in negative fashion it becomes bad I suppose.

Let me say this. The word retard was once an accepted term...even used in the Journal of American Medical Association. So was the term mental retardation...in fact many still use that term.

The bottom line is this...if used in negative fashion it becomes bad I suppose.
The same could be said for obese...I guess that word is next in the chopping block.

Can you still call gays, gay? And on the same note... Is homo a slur?

I personally think calling your buddy a homo as a joke is fine but I think if you call a gay man a homo that crosses some kind of line.

Like it’s frowned upon if you saw someone who you thought was gay/flamboyant walking by on the street and you said “ look at that homo”

So there is the n word, r word and c word and f bomb( why isn’t it the f word to keep things simple and straight)

Sounds like a George Carlin exercise.

Any others while we are at it.

My best-remembered use of the r-word is in the original National Lampoon's Vacation movie where the kids are in the back seat fighting and the daughter calls her brother a "retard."

And as to the earlier post about the song "Mongoloid," I think that is my favorite Devo song. I think the first time I heard that song was on a radio station (which, sadly, has moved on to another format, and owner) here in Atlanta where the DJ had a noontime show where he'd play offbeat songs. I sometimes wonder if that DJ, who I had a great deal of respect for when it came to finding and showcasing unusual songs and artists, would be able to get away today with some of the stuff he played back then (probably about 15 years ago).

A CB for the NY Giants was released for using the "R" word in a tweet. Again, I'm 58 so maybe I'm a little behind the times but is there a more appropriate word that could have been used?

I think it means Rutger

Can you still call gays, gay? And on the same note... Is homo a slur?

Along that line, how about fa&&ot. I'd type the whole word but don't want to breach etiquette. The word was used by Dire Straits in "Money for Nothing" and for years I'd hear the song played uncensored. Now when I hear it on the radio the word "fa&&ot" is replaced by some kind of guitar tone. Weird.

Family guy is no south park.. Just watched a episode of family guy where they had the Chinese guys from "A Christmas Story" singing the fa rah rah rah line and what was told to me was my beloved Christmas movie is racist.

Along that line, how about fa&&ot. I'd type the whole word but don't want to breach etiquette. The word was used by Dire Straits in "Money for Nothing" and for years I'd hear the song played uncensored. Now when I hear it on the radio the word "fa&&ot" is replaced by some kind of guitar tone. Weird.
Pretty sure you can say ******... Just tell em' you're English

I promise never to use “break retarder” ever again!! I apologize to all the WOKE truckers out there..... Bwhaaaaaaa!

Thread is a good reminder that apparently we weren't all raised with the basic tenet of “treat others the way you’d like to be treated.”

I personally think calling your buddy a homo as a joke is fine but I think if you call a gay man a homo that crosses some kind of line.

Like it’s frowned upon if you saw someone who you thought was gay/flamboyant walking by on the street and you said “ look at that homo”
I agree- my riding buddies and I call each other "asshole" but if I call somebody else that, it actually means asshole

Don't feel bad, I 'm 81 and have no idea. This generation is so politically correct, they make issues out of nothing.

Remember, the Arc, one of the pre-eminent organizations for helping those with mental handicaps, was originally an acronym ARC, which stood for the Association for Retarded Citizens. That's not a joke.

Remember, the Arc, one of the pre-eminent organizations for helping those with mental handicaps, was originally an acronym ARC, which stood for the Association for Retarded Citizens. That's not a joke.

How dare they insult the people for whom they're advocating!!! Along that line of thinking, why is the NAACP still called the NAACP?? Isn't "colored" now a bad word too??

On a positive note the "R" in hip-hop means RAKIM

OFFICIAL LIST OF WORDS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE USED:

1. n-word
2. r-word

Feel free to add to it.

By the way, anyone have an idea about what happens if there is disagreement about whether a word goes on the list?

o-word, as in Oriental.

The last two situations I know of at my work where someone said something inappropriate involved saying Chinese fire drill and calling a woman a girl.....so the list of inappropriate terms is growing fast, but the PC culture is not getting out of control (sarcasm font).

I get your general point but the problem is, who deems which words are or are not offensive? It's slippery slope. Before long, I am dictating what you say because if I don't like something you say I can say that it offends me and thus you have to stop saying it.
This is exactly what is happening in many colleges. Except that you are supposed to know in advance which words might cause offense. There's a recent book called "Coddling of the American Mind" that explains it pretty well--and it is not a conservative book either (I am not trying to go TestBoard here--just want to point out a resource).

There's a branch right across the street from where I work....

This is exactly what is happening in many colleges. Except that you are supposed to know in advance which words might cause offense. There's a recent book called "Coddling of the American Mind" that explains it pretty well--and it is not a conservative book either (I am not trying to go TestBoard here--just want to point out a resource).

I've read "The Coddling of the American Mind" and it is a great book. It is co-written by Jon Haidt. He is a social psychologist, formerly at UVa but now at NYU. He is really insightful. I consume as much of his stuff (books, video, lectures, etc) that I can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT